AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-12, 19:46   Link #2301
Echoes

That was depressing. I was hoping for a whole month that Togame would somehow pull through, though I suppose I always had a lingering feeling that it was not to be. The montage of clips of her really made me teary-eyed, she was one of my favorite characters in years, and I'm terribly sad to see her go.

That isn't to say I think it was a bad ending at all, it's just a hard hurdle to get over emotionally. She'll live on in Shichika's, and my (our), memories, at least.

Chiming in on the Hitei x Shichika ordeal, I think it could go either way, but I really *hope* that Shichika doesn't end up with her. That would just be too cruel of a fate, in my opinion.
I like to think that since Togame told Shichika to forget about her and live for himself, and seeing as how Shichika broke her other orders in this episode because she's no longer alive, that he would end up not following this one either, and hence keep living for her.

Might just be wishful thinking on my part, though.
Old 2010-12-12, 21:51   Link #2302
smithdavida

Question

Any thoughts on the underlying theme(s) to Katanagatari?

Spoiler for composition:
smithdavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 21:59   Link #2303
Dextro
He Without a Title

Spoiler for Last episode:
Old 2010-12-12, 22:19   Link #2304
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The ending did not disappoint at all it was well worth the wait now just got to get lucky and have some one license.

Why didnt he fight like that in the first 11eps
Old 2010-12-12, 23:08   Link #2305
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
The ending did not disappoint at all it was well worth the wait now just got to get lucky and have some one license.

Why didnt he fight like that in the first 11eps
He wasn't allowed to break the swords so he had to restrict himself. The only times that he lost was when there were even more restrictions. With Konayuki he couldn't hurt her and with Kiguchi he had to fight with a sword. Nanami was the only REAL opponent he ever had.

Also, I just want to add that it's possible that the bosses in the last episode weren't able to just the full potential of the swords because they weren't compatible. Swords choose their wielders and I believe the swords were forced on them this time so the swords became weak.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 23:39   Link #2306
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
As for the lead girl, her title is Sexy (meaning Strategian, a fusion of tactician and strategist) Togame looking for 12 hentai swords, who keeps using the word “cheerio” with the wrong meaning. Isn’t that weird as heck? And it’s just the tip of the iceberg of what their personalities are like.
Can you stop twisting the pronounciation of Japanese words to make things sound like something they're not? Togame used a combination of kisaku (clever scheme) and sakushi (strategist) to form kisakushi and make up the word strategian. There is NO mention of "sexy" anywhere in that definition - heck, it's not even the same language. hentaitou means Deviant Blade, and it does NOT mean the perverted kind of hentai that you are emphasizing.
Old 2010-12-13, 01:15   Link #2307
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
REVIEW TIME

Spoiler for wall of text:
You make me ashamed to be Greek.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 01:28   Link #2308
Janifuu
緩和

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
the hero actually wanted to die but all i get from this forum is a shipping war about Togame & Shichika or Shichika will be together with Hitei hime...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shichi-chan View Post
@hai san, Well, Not everyone is all into the shipping war lol. I mean I am more interested in the gauntlet and Emonzaemon.
Well, I wouldn't even be calling the discussion a "shipping war" really, since the idea of Shichika and Hiteihime eventually becoming an item is purely just a speculated idea that has no indication of happening, whereas with Shichika and Togame there's never really been any speculation - they've been an official item since pretty much the start of the story. I guess some people just enjoy exploring the idea and hypothetical scenario of what would happen between Shichika and Hiteihime after the story's end, though frankly I'm not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Chiming in on the Hitei x Shichika ordeal, I think it could go either way, but I really *hope* that Shichika doesn't end up with her. That would just be too cruel of a fate, in my opinion.
I like to think that since Togame told Shichika to forget about her and live for himself, and seeing as how Shichika broke her other orders in this episode because she's no longer alive, that he would end up not following this one either, and hence keep living for her.
Agreed, and I think that's one of the things that Shichika had portrayed in the last episode. Going against Togame's "final order" is essentially his way of saying that he'll continue to love her and, of course, not forget about her. Even if Shichika did try to obey the order, I think we can all agree that him simply "forgetting" about Togame would be a pretty impossible feat.
Janifuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 02:26   Link #2309
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
REVIEW TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

Same here

Anyway, is it me or did they drag some scenes in the final episode (e.g. Togame's death speech).

Overall, it was a job well done, I wish they will continue with more adaptions from the author.

EDIT: After reading that the ending was depressing, unfair, etc. Guys remember:
  1. Togame was released from her burden before death.
  2. Sichika got a life
  3. hime's obligation was fullfilled and she is free.
  4. Emonzaemon died a warrior's death according to his principles.
  5. The weak shogun was killed.
  6. The deviant blades were destryed.
  7. Most of the swords' owners were in one way or another freed by their curses.
From my point of view, most of the cast was freed from some overwhelming problem or situation.

Last edited by Malkuth; 2010-12-13 at 03:03.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 02:36   Link #2310
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
REVIEW TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

Same here as well. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Spoiler for Last episode:
That's a pretty interesting way to look at it, I'll give you that. Even if that isn't it's actual purpose, if definitely works.

As for Togame's eye, it's purely aesthetic -- Take just wanted to give her some sort of interesting visual quirk.
Old 2010-12-13, 02:46   Link #2311
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
what's with all the negativity about my review? You didn't like the troll factor?

I don't know if they posted this already but here it goes
Spoiler for similarities:
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 10:17   Link #2312
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

roriconfan, you was right the whole way.
*sigh*
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 11:16   Link #2313
klare

ahh the show proved me wrong again: Togame died, ended with the most unexpected pairing, Shichika survived despite all those injuries, "Cheerio" did not become popular in japan etc

it also seems to make fun of the viewers by destroying the 11 kanatas in less than 1 minute each...

overall, the story-telling is unique, the art style is one-kind but will get used to it quickly and the series is really enjoyable

my fav char: Nanami
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 11:57   Link #2314
Shikijin

I think that, while overall good, the adaptation could have used some little touch of direction here and there. For example playing a triumphant music while Shichika was winning in ep. 11. Somehow I even feel I was left short of some explanation here and there, though I don't have read the novels.

Overall though I am satisfied, with the anime, the story, the final episode and the conclusion.

Honestly, I don't really know if Hitei and Shichika will become a real couple. Probably, if they stay together, eventually it is bound to happen, but Shichika also appears to have some kind of ascetic character, so romance is not exactly his priority in life.

The point is that indeed Hitei and Togame were just teasing each other and somehow they were actually very close. Hitei is just a contrarian, one who does the opposite of what she is expected to do. At the same time, Emonzaemon was the only person Shichika thought was able to kill him. Therefore Shichika and Hitei both highly respect their reciprocal most important person. It is a bit complicated, but that makes it ok in my book.

It was also said in the first episode that Togame would have betrayed Shichika. Though somehow it came unexpected after all this time, it's not unjustified. It's like Togame had a real personality (princess Yousha) and a mask personality (Togame), and while the real personality was the one in charge and only wanted revenge for his father, it was the mask personality that fell in love with Shichika. Kind of like a conflict between the mind and the heart. The problem doesn't appear to be whether Togame loves or don't love Shichika. She loves him. It's just that she won't necessarily follow her heart.

Overall this is indeed a tragedy, but in the Oriental style. No absolute good or absolute evil, just people doing their own thing, living and dying. The impermanence of everything while the time flows. Bravo, Nisio.

Btw, I think nobody said this. Emonzaemon has 不忍 written on the mask. Though as someone correctly said per se it means "unconcealed", 忍 is the kanji of ninja/shinobi, so in a sense Emonzaemon is "not ninja", slightly mirroring Shichika with his "school of the no sword" (虚刀流).
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 12:03   Link #2315
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post

I'm pretty a majority of people's fav was Nanami too. Damn it, why are batshit insane girls so appealing.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 12:13   Link #2316
sayde

I've pretty much watched all 12 episodes for mostly the music and the fight scenes. So while some delivered more than others in these particular areas, the final episode definitely didn't disappoint. For me, it was easily the best episode in the series.

(now I just need to get my hands on the song that began playing the moment Shichika faced-off against Hannyamaru).
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 15:30   Link #2317
Kunagisa

I hope someone like MAD!!

http://zoome.jp/gin2/diary/103
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 15:33   Link #2318
Janifuu
緩和

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
ahh the show proved me wrong again: Togame died, ended with the most unexpected pairing, Shichika survived despite all those injuries, "Cheerio" did not become popular in japan etc

What "unexpected pairing"? If you are referring to Shichika and Hiteihime, then no, they did not become official in the end, as there was not a single thing to indicate that it would potentially happen. Shichika and Hiteihime have their respective important people already, even despite the fact that each of them died. I don't think that is something that will ever change.

Though Nanami is indeed awesome. I'll miss her.

Last edited by Janifuu; 2010-12-13 at 15:44.
Old 2010-12-13, 16:13   Link #2319
Shikijin

I think I have understood what was the point behind Togame's cross-eye. The eye that gets crossed is the left one. The left side of the body is controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain. The right side of the body is controlled by the left hemisphere of the brain. The left hemisphere of the brain, as popularly understood, is connected to logic. The right hemisphere of the brain, instead, is connected to... emotions.

The day Togame first got the cross-eye was when Shichika's father killed her father. That day, Togame lost all emotions.

Eventually, she was able to recover back to some sort of normality, but the damage couldn't be undone. Togame is able to switch on and off her emotions at will. I can't remember every frame in which there was the cross-eye, but I think she did it every time she need to focus on her logical side; possibly when she was greedy or when she was lying; in the last episode it was because she was deadly serious. That was the point of her VA reading the lines in monotone. Togame wasn't feeling anything (excluding, that is, the pain of the bullet wounds).

I think Togame's last words have been misunderstood. It's not exactly like she admitted her love to Shichika; that would be discarding all the things she has said up to that moment. What she said was "You are the enemy of my father and I am going to kill you no matter what. It is against your best interest to stay by my side. Still, the fact you heard all this and still love me, honestly, it made me happy". What Togame did was admitting that if things went another way, she would have loved Shichika. This is the best she could say. Togame was regretting there could be no love story between her and Shichika. She had never truely loved him. She just deeply wanted to. She still wished to be loved by Shichika. However, as it is, their love is impossible.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:04   Link #2320
Janifuu
緩和

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I think I have understood what was the point behind Togame's cross-eye. The eye that gets crossed is the left one. The left side of the body is controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain. The right side of the body is controlled by the left hemisphere of the brain. The left hemisphere of the brain, as popularly understood, is connected to logic. The right hemisphere of the brain, instead, is connected to... emotions.

The day Togame first got the cross-eye was when Shichika's father killed her father. That day, Togame lost all emotions.

Eventually, she was able to recover back to some sort of normality, but the damage couldn't be undone. Togame is able to switch on and off her emotions at will. I can't remember every frame in which there was the cross-eye, but I think she did it every time she need to focus on her logical side; possibly when she was greedy or when she was lying; in the last episode it was because she was deadly serious. That was the point of her VA reading the lines in monotone. Togame wasn't feeling anything (excluding, that is, the pain of the bullet wounds).

I think Togame's last words have been misunderstood. It's not exactly like she admitted her love to Shichika; that would be discarding all the things she has said up to that moment. What she said was "You are the enemy of my father and I am going to kill you no matter what. It is against your best interest to stay by my side. Still, the fact you heard all this and still love me, honestly, it made me happy". What Togame did was admitting that if things went another way, she would have loved Shichika. This is the best she could say. Togame was regretting there could be no love story between her and Shichika. She had never truely loved him. She just deeply wanted to. She still wished to be loved by Shichika. However, as it is, their love is impossible.
I have to disagree with most of what you've stated. While there's definitely two sides to Togame's character, to say that she's really loved Shichika is a huge stretch and is untrue. She did in fact acknowledge her love for him during her final words, she just also wanted to elaborate on what her initial feelings/intentions at the beginning of their journey were, and that over time she had began to see and feel things differently. Before she knew it, her feelings for him did come into fruition, and really it didn't take much time at all for us to see that. What she was essentially saying was "I didn't mean to fall in love with you at first, but it turns out that I did. A part of me didn't want that, but the other part couldn't help it and wanted to keep loving you." Those feelings reigned dominant over her "initial" intentions, and its shown to be quite evident throughout the story. I don't think she really regretted much if anything, be it her quest to collect the swords, or her love for Shichika. She was happy, she had fun, and above all, she allowed herself to fall for Shichika, just as she herself stated. Shichika knew that very well. The love between them had always been mutual, and I really don't think it will ever change, even despite Togame's death.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy