AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 85 29.41%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 20:42   Link #161
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
*snips*
Given what I've read (even from Jason Miao's post on the GAINAX panel interview about Gurren Lagann's series development and Stripey's entry on the nature of Script-to-Final Product adaptation), it's a CONSIDERABLE expense (on the order of several hundred thousand yen) for the company to redraw what's essentially a single story differently twice, nevermind four times. That's not something you do to 'troll' people, as essentially you're throwing money away just to tick people off.
Old 2009-07-02, 20:42   Link #162
Peanutbutter

A question I really like to ask the seiyuus (if I do get the chance to ask them)

How did they voice the work for this arc? In one shot? Or they repeated some of their lines for a few episodes?
Old 2009-07-02, 20:45   Link #163
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Given what I've read (even from Jason Miao's post on the GAINAX panel interview about Gurren Lagann's series development and Stripey's entry on the nature of Script-to-Final Product adaptation), it's a CONSIDERABLE expense (on the order of several hundred thousand yen) for the company to redraw what's essentially a single story differently twice, nevermind four times. That's not something you do to 'troll' people, as essentially you're throwing money away just to tick people off.
Yea, one of the main reasons GAINAX is always 'milking', is because they out do their own budgets by animating so rigorously.

FLCL had the famous scene of the animators complaining about their animation budget and amount of work.

The animation industry is run by pure passion of animators who doesn't even get well rewards.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-02, 20:47   Link #164
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
A well done iteration would have received a 7 ranking, despite my irritation. This bungling attempt receives a 4.5, which is mainly because I can see what the director was attempting to do, but I'm rounding down, because frankly, I expect more from Haruhi.
THAT complaint really boils down, really, to who the animation director was for this episode. I'm waiting for a.f.k.'s sub for that. Tickle me surprised if it was someone from the team that did K-ON (which just ended... oooooh), as that'll probably generate a deluge of Kaisos-like raging (which is admittedly bush-leagues compared to the SERIOUS BUSINESS arguing I've witnessed -- for the young 'uns out there, I started in the EVA fandom, as evidenced by my sig).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The problem is Kyon never thought of it in the first place, its not that he doesn't want to voice out.
... You mean he doesn't think Haruhi wants to ride his balo... Oh darn, that joke's too corny even for this forum.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-02 at 21:30. Reason: edit instead of double-posting
Old 2009-07-02, 21:38   Link #165
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
THAT complaint really boils down, really, to who the animation director was for this episode. I'm waiting for a.f.k.'s sub for that. Tickle me surprised if it was someone from the team that did K-ON (which just ended... oooooh), as that'll probably generate a deluge of Kaisos-like raging (which is admittedly bush-leagues compared to the SERIOUS BUSINESS arguing I've witnessed -- for the young 'uns out there, I started in the EVA fandom, as evidenced by my sig).
FYI, the animation director was Hiroyuki Takahashi, who directed the animation of episode 10 of K-On and did the musical instrument design for that show.

But then again, that doesn't really tell us anything of value. The Animation Directors for all of these new Haruhi episodes also did some of the episodes of K-On. Futoshi Nishiya did episode 2 of K-On, and Mariko Takahashi did episodes 3 & 8. Plus, the person who directed the animation of last week's episode also directed the animation of first new Haruhi episode this season (which, if I recall, people didn't really like?). So... guilt by association in this case doesn't mean all that much.
Old 2009-07-02, 21:38   Link #166
Solachinx
is a myth

Hmm, I'm split on this.

On one hand, my inner artist is jumping with glee because this is the type of stuff I like to do in my work (getting the audience involved in the story, using different story-telling elements, etc.) and I think this was a neAt decision on KyoAni's part.

On the other hand, my inner cynicist is worried that, because they're extending E8 to 4+ episodes, that they won't have enough time to air other stories i want to see like Disappearance and Sigh. My inner Kyon is hoping that this'll all be considered one episode, but he seriously doubts that.

The latter is winning, and I hope KyoAni ends this soon lest they face the wrath of a million fanboys and girls.

Last edited by Solachinx; 2009-07-02 at 21:58.
Old 2009-07-02, 21:42   Link #167
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So... guilt by association in this case doesn't mean all that much.
I'm very familiar with the in-house staff shuffling that goes on in a series, though I personally was interested in who handled the art direction this time. As I mentioned, the lack of bloom and flare effects was noticeable.

The information gives those who are actively looking for scapegoats a target though. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor
However, the sense of despair is really permeating the episodes.

I wish there were more major differences between what happened, though.

I think that the Despair IS a major point, since in the previous episode only Yuki's boredom was any clue to something wrong. Now, the characters are clued into the fact that they're trapped in a timeloop, with absolutely NOTHING they could do to break out of it. That a big Morale-killer.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-07-02 at 21:55. Reason: Additional items
Old 2009-07-02, 21:42   Link #168
Jintor

Just finished watching.

It's pretty good actually. The only problem I had with it (besides that it's cutting into future story time) is spoiler related.

Spoiler for Ending:

PS: Ki - Sho - Ten - Ketsu - (An)

Though possibly more like Ki - Sho - Sho - Ten/Ketsu...

Last edited by Jintor; 2009-07-02 at 22:02.
Old 2009-07-02, 21:56   Link #169
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post

PS: Ko - Sho - Ten - Ketsu - (An)

Though possibly more like Ko - Sho - Sho - Ten/Ketsu...
Son of a bitch, you beat me to it... I always knew the KyoAni staff were SZS fans (see page 10 of chapter 15, or Volume 2 page 71 of the Del Rey adaptation)...

But isn't is Ki / Sho / Ten / Ketsu?

EDIT: Yep, it's Kishotenketsu, all right...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-07-02 at 22:07. Reason: Fixed link to something less problematic, added a line...
Old 2009-07-02, 22:02   Link #170
Jintor

Oops, misread my manga.

Spoiler for Later series:

I also wish their Deja Vu footage was even more surreal than it already is. Zetsubou Sensei has desensitized me to what is weird and what isn't, especially re: animation styles.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:04   Link #171
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Neither of them hate the fans at all. They're trying to make this a memorable anime. It's like I said earlier -- the question they had to ask themselves is "how do we top a show that we seen as one of the best late-night anime of all time?" And that's a tall order. With Yamakan gone, Series Director for the first round, this probably changed things as well. I see this as them trying to prevent the show from becoming "yet another disappointing sequel" in the grand scheme of things. I think some people are annoyed now (because they have a countdown timer in their heads until the end of the second season they've been awaiting for so long), but in the grand scheme of things I think it will work out. If nothing else, you can guarantee that this will be remembered, emulated, and jabbed-at for years to come.
Do they really look like a studio with a plan?

It's mostly the novel readers who seem to be upset. I was a novel reader. I had expectations. Look where that got me. KyoAni just did what they do best - they took my expectations, and turned them on itself. Look what they've done to my precious knowledge of the original story with just a few writing touches and a couple of lense flares. No novel reader is surprised when the expected things happen. Nobody is surprised when things go according to the story, even if the story is surprising. If KyoAni tells us that an episode will feature Ryoko trying to Kyon with a knife, or Kyon traveling back in time three years to meet Yuki and Future Mikuru, nobody is surprised. Because it's all part of the original story. But when they tell us that one little chapter will be repeated several times, everybody loses their minds! Introduce a little unexpected something and everything becomes shocking. KyoAni has been good at shocking us. And you know the thing about people being shocked?

It's funny.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:05   Link #172
Jintor

To a degree.

Even you would not like it if the rest of the season was just Endless Eight. D:
Old 2009-07-02, 22:09   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Do they really look like a studio with a plan?

It's mostly the novel readers who seem to be upset. I was a novel reader. I had expectations. Look where that got me. KyoAni just did what they do best - they took my expectations, and turned them on itself. Look what they've done to my precious knowledge of the original story with just a few writing touches and a couple of lense flares. No novel reader is surprised when the expected things happen. Nobody is surprised when things go according to the story, even if the story is surprising. If KyoAni tells us that an episode will feature Ryoko trying to Kyon with a knife, or Kyon traveling back in time three years to meet Yuki and Future Mikuru, nobody is surprised. Because it's all part of the original story. But when they tell us that one little chapter will be repeated several times, everybody loses their minds! Introduce a little unexpected something and everything becomes shocking. KyoAni has been good at shocking us.
In other words... yes, they really look like a studio with a plan! ...Just not the plan that some people wanted them to have.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:12   Link #174
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonleap View Post
Kyoani warned us from the very beginning...Just check the opening...

Spoiler for Picture of E8:

Count the number of "8" and you will see....4!!!! The number of episodes for Endless "Eight"...I discovered that while doing my usual review....
Good Eye... My theory was that Endless Eight would end on September 1st, Well 4th since episodes air on a Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
05/21 ep08 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
05/28 ep09 Mysteric Sign
06/04 ep10 Desert Island Syndrome (I)
06/11 ep11 Desert Island Syndrome (II)
06/18 ep12 Endless Eight
06/25 ep13 Endless Eight
07/02 ep14 Endless Eight
07/09 ep15 Endless Eight
07/16 ep16 Endless Eight
07/23 ep17 Endless Eight
07/30 ep18 Endless Eight
08/07 ep19 Endless Eight
08/14 ep20 Endless Eight
08/21 ep21 Endless Eight
08/28 ep22 Endless Eight
08/28 ep23 Endless Eight
08/28 ep24 Endless Eight
08/28 ep25 Endless Eight
08/28 ep26 Endless Eight
08/28 ep27 Endless Eight
08/28 ep28 Endless Eight

~The End~
Fixed

Don't you know that there is no September in Endless Eight lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei
You won't have to wait very long, from my perspective, since I haven't seen the episode, basically 90% of the text/subs have already been translated from previous episodes.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:20   Link #175
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
To a degree.

Even you would not like it if the rest of the season was just Endless Eight. D:
It would be frustratingly boring, enough that people would want to re-enact the events of Hinamizawa 1983. Which would mirror what I imagine Yuki REALLY is feeling.

Uso da! USO DAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl
You won't have to wait very long, from my perspective, since I haven't seen the episode, basically 90% of the text/subs have already been translated from previous episodes.
I was more interested in the Staff Credits actually, but relentlessflame already answered that question.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:24   Link #176
OverFunk
It will never be the year

I think this a bold move of the production team to have it this way, considering it is kinda hard to adapt this particular story to anime.

There you are, in your chair, unable to do anything to stop them from repeating the episode. So yeah.

Never forget
Old 2009-07-02, 22:30   Link #177
Animexcel

Man, I just finished watching it. I was like.. dood, here we go again.. I wonder how the SOS is getting out of this one. *not a novel reader*
Old 2009-07-02, 22:30   Link #178
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Everyone reread the chapter

Everyone Cheer up.
Endless eight is ending Next week.
Endless Eight occurs in 4 parts in one Chapter!
Yuki also said 15,499 in the chapter and in the episode.

Please everyone reread it.

Endless eight is ending on July 09,2009 with 4 parts

Please Cheer up.

Season 2- BLR, Endless 8, The Sighs, and the Disappearance.
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will end the series!

01.Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody-Done
02.Endless Eight-Done
03.Endless Eight-Done
04.Endless Eight -Done
05.Endless Eight July 09,2009(Next new episode)
06.The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya July 16,2009

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-02 at 22:44. Reason: You may not link to fan translations when the novels are licensed
Old 2009-07-02, 22:49   Link #179
dark-kyon

i am in dispair for the people what only want what anime be same what source material.
i know what endless eight not finish in three cap.only for the people what was sure what finish in three and feel trolled now make this episode epic.
thank kyoani you are the troll master.
?bad dvd sales¿
this is the chance to see if otaku buy whatever thing of haruhi.
Old 2009-07-02, 22:52   Link #180
sacundim

6/10

July 2, 2009. Endless Eight: unfinished. Whatever. I don't care anymore. If this plot going to happen again, there's no point in looking forward to the next real episode. If a different episode ever comes, I guess I'll leave it to the "me" from then.
Closed Thread