AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-14, 13:33   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

suggestion for a free antivirus that isn't avg

As the title says, the past few days i've been having problems with AVG; basically, my computer was getting slowed down, and i read somewhere that it could have been avg, so i thought of unistalling it and then re-installing it.

However, after i performed this operation, my pc started crashing every 10mins after the start. Searched from another pc what it could have been, and it was probably because i didn't use the Avg unistaller that is found on the site. I started again this pc, used it, installed avg again, but it's always the same shit.

Now i totally removed avg from the pc, and it's running smoothly like always, but i can't remain without protection, so i was wondering if you could suggest me a free and light antivirus, for net browsing, like avg that isn't avg.

For the moment i'll just reactivate the firewall

PS:
If you know of a solution to make avg work again, feel free to explain it.

PS2:
The pc is clean; i scanned with malwarebytes, superantispyware, gmer and nothing was found.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 13:48   Link #2
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

try avast free antivirus I heard its one of the top free antivirus along with avg

or avira free antivirus. comodo cleaning essentials has also popped up as best
Old 2012-06-14, 13:56   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've installed Avast on a couple of friends' computers and haven't heard any complaints. As a Linux user, I don't have much use for antivirus, but the reports I've read for Avast have generally been favorable.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 13:58   Link #4
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Avast works fine for me since some years ago
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 14:55   Link #5
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Avast here, I was using AVG long ago until it started freezing me during start up. Been using Avast for about 2 years and on about 5 other PC/Laptop.
As for virus scan i prefer to use Malwarebyte Anti-Malware since it does a better job than Avast.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:15   Link #6
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Thank you very much for your answers; i just installed avast, and it looks quite versatile. I'll still keep malwarebytes just in case...

Once again, thank you all for the quick and exhaustive answer.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 20:52   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I've been using Avast for I'd say more than a few years now, and it hasn't let me down. It has averted viruses from getting on my computer many times. I have not had an infection while using Avast.

Also, about malwarebytes, does it even look for viruses when you scan your computer? I thought it just looks for malware, which is different than computer viruses. I know that you shouldn't install two different anti-virus programs because they conflict with each other and cause computers problems and I know that malwarebytes can work with any anti-virus program because malwarebytes isn't anti-virus software.

I'd like to know. I'm just hoping that the poster above hasn't been scanning for viruses with malwarebytes when it doesn't even look for them. ^^;
Old 2012-06-15, 05:41   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I had been using Avast for a long time, I uninstalled it because of some update problems it had in which normal files were seen as viruses. This only happened once though.
Right now I have MSE running in the bg, I have malwarebytes installed and do scans with it every now and then.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 07:16   Link #9
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Why on earth would you want to get AVG running properly again since it's nothing but a glorified placebo as well as a false positive black hole.

Avast is vastly better then that pile of crap, even though it has had the odd problem with false positives (only one of the two (the more recent floppy.sys rootkit FP) known ones have affected me since the one -KarumA- mentioned had been fixed by the time I went online and only really affected the users of another paid for anti virus that uses a combination of avasts and another anti virus providers detection engines and definitions).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:54   Link #10
BradleySmith
*IT Support

Microsoft Security Essentials has done me well when im using bootcamp, and i use to use it all the time when i had a windows PC, depends on how "Smart" of a user you are, If your the type to just click ads go on any website then you might wanna get something abit more hardcore.
BradleySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 17:22   Link #11
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Also, about malwarebytes, does it even look for viruses when you scan your computer? I thought it just looks for malware, which is different than computer viruses. I know that you shouldn't install two different anti-virus programs because they conflict with each other and cause computers problems and I know that malwarebytes can work with any anti-virus program because malwarebytes isn't anti-virus software.

I'd like to know. I'm just hoping that the poster above hasn't been scanning for viruses with malwarebytes when it doesn't even look for them. ^^;
Though I do use Avast virus scan once in a while (once a month). I haven't had anything that Malwarebytes missed that Avast got.
Then again I haven't had a major security breach yet and Malwarebytes only caught a handful of malwares (4 to be exact and they all happen to be from friends USB stick).
But it has raised some alarm bells with me. I'll go get a different Anti-virus scan and post back if all along there was a virus hiding somewhere on this PC.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon

Last edited by Kaihan; 2012-06-15 at 17:32.
Old 2012-06-15, 17:36   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Why on earth would you want to get AVG running properly again since it's nothing but a glorified placebo as well as a false positive black hole.

Avast is vastly better then that pile of crap, even though it has had the odd problem with false positives (only one of the two (the more recent floppy.sys rootkit FP) known ones have affected me since the one -KarumA- mentioned had been fixed by the time I went online and only really affected the users of another paid for anti virus that uses a combination of avasts and another anti virus providers detection engines and definitions).
Lucky you to have missed that update, I didn't sustain any damage really but I read online there were people who set their Avast to auto deleting anything virus like or who had everything deleted when they did a bootscan.
Old 2012-06-16, 00:30   Link #13
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
I LOL'd; that's an excellent description.

When AVG became so bloated, in disgust I uninstalled it in every PC I come across with whenever I do some repair work, and found Avast and Avira Free (I'm using it now because it's Gameguard-friendly) to be easier on system resources but very good in detection and removal.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:04   Link #14
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Ok so Malwarebyte doesn't catch everything that I thought it does.
Had a bunch of trace.registry (all from old poker games? lol). All risk found was scaled Low/med so I consider Avast pretty good for a free Anti Virus.

If anyone is interested on what I used for scanning, the following order that I used to scan:
Avast Virus Scan
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
TDSSKiller (for Root-kit)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

All of them are free.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Old 2012-06-17, 22:28   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What version of Windows do you use?
Old 2012-06-17, 22:38   Link #16
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Window 7 Professional 64 bit

Honestly after installing all those scans, I feared one of them might try to delete a vital file to Window.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon

Last edited by Kaihan; 2012-06-17 at 23:17.
Old 2012-06-18, 13:07   Link #17
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

The thing is not even the best anti virus can protect you online due to personal usage and modern viruses.
It is just about standard that anyone who uses internet has a proper addblocker because many viruses slip through the defenses through the adds on websites.
I had been using a quite popular public torrent site with never any problems, my friend who had proper protection but no add blocker found his computer with a police lock up virus after visiting the same website the day before. He could easily remove it, but the point is one can download and install a load of scanners and still get infected because modern viruses still manage to slip through.
Old 2012-06-18, 17:00   Link #18
sneaker

Yes, drive-by-viruses, esp. these police lockdown things, are very common at the moment. Often attack through outdated browser plug-ins, namely Java JRE, Flash Player, Adobe Reader. Better deactivate as many plugins as possible, only activate on demand (noscript?) or at least keep them updated. Few pages need Java JRE nowadays, but many viruses do...
The scanners can't keep up with them.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 20:13   Link #19
sa547
*Author

The other best thing complementary to an antivirus is simply having common sense on the user's part.

If he or she is a computer professional.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-06-20 at 08:20.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 06:48   Link #20
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The other best thing complementary to an antivirus is simply having common sense on the user's part.
Unfortunately common sense doesn't really help if a trusted website gets hacked with extra code added to it to spread malware because the site owner has been lazy and not updated the software and such that is used to run said site (that has happened to me once before as one site I frequent got done because if that exact problem, but thankfully avast caught the added malicious part).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote