AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 13 17.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 32.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-06, 07:22   Link #81
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I particularly liked Nako's talk with Ohana at the end. It was just very sweet and sentimental. And the end where Jiroumaru and Enishi get their comeupings was just hilarious. Also, I no longer care about shipping anymore. And no it has no correlation to the fact that my favourite pairing took a massive set back, whatareyoutalkingabout?
Old 2011-06-06, 09:17   Link #82
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Prior to Episode 8, and after Episode 7, I was inclined to agree with Reckoner on the "Identity Crisis" charge.

But not at this juncture.

We now have 10 episodes to work with. Episodes 3 and 7 are the unusual ones, with the other 8 all having a certain consistent sensibility about them. One comic relief episode out of every five is not that out of the ordinary for a two cour slice of life/coming of age show, or deserving of strong criticism.

As for Ohana herself, I agree with Arabesque and 0utf0xZer0: She's a bullheaded girl that loves to help, but that doesn't mean she lacks insecurities.

0utf0xZer0 once described this show to me as a mix of K-On and True Tears (specifically, the best parts of each). With the last three episodes, that's seeming more and more to be the case to me.

Personally, I think it's a mix that Okada has managed pretty well so far.
Old 2011-06-06, 11:00   Link #83
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Scumbag Tohru showing his true colors once again. Dude should just stay in the kitchen were he belongs.
Old 2011-06-06, 11:21   Link #84
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Dude should just stay in the kitchen were he belongs.
Indeed! In the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant! I hate it when people don't know their place
Old 2011-06-06, 11:36   Link #85
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Indeed! In the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant! I hate it when people don't know their place
I thought you weren't against Tooru x Ohana Rambo?
Old 2011-06-06, 11:42   Link #86
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
I thought you weren't against Tooru x Ohana Rambo?
I'm not particularly opposed to it on some kind of philosophical grounds.

Though I don't see what that has to do with me agreeing with Soconfused about Tohru's place being in the kitchen, barefoot and 8 months pregnant.

Old 2011-06-06, 11:46   Link #87
hanashi

Quote:
I'm not particularly opposed to it on some kind of philosophical grounds.

Though I don't see what that has to do with me agreeing with Soconfused about Tohru's place being in the kitchen, barefoot and 8 months pregnant.
I thought that was a nice response to a really negative comment. Well done, sir!
Old 2011-06-06, 11:54   Link #88
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

@Arabesque & 0utf0xzer0

I'm not going to deny that Ohana has always been bullheaded, but I still find it to be a bit strange that these feelings of hers in episode 10 were lingering this whole time without a proper build up or lead up.

I just sort of feel like I've been given puzzle pieces that are both put together wrongly, or out of order.

I mean Ohana starts out emotionally frustrated, and then that emotional frustration literally disappears for a good amount of episodes only to resurface now after you would think that the growth as a character, and acceptance she's received over the past episodes would put her worries to rest.

This is how I see it...

Episodes 1 and 2. Ohana is the "bullheaded" girl trying to gain acceptance and put her insecurities to rest. She's emotionalyl frustrated because she's not succeeding.

Episode 3. Really silly episode. She takes her bullheadedness and uses it to be friendly with our fail writer. Ok, she connects with Nako at least and a tiny bit with Minko. She's made progress.

Episodes 4-7. More of the same really, just becoming more comfortable at the Inn.

Episodes 8-9. This is where we see all the growth in Ohana's character. She puts her new knowledge to work, although rather clumsily. She's shown to be strong.

Episode 10. She gets sick and has an emotional breakdown about her worth at the Inn. Wait wut?

I'm guessing what I should say is that episode 10 makes no sense in context of episodes 8 and 9.
Old 2011-06-06, 12:12   Link #89
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The fundamental problem being described here, seems to me, is a general lack of continuity between episodes. The stylistic inconsistencies have been pointed out at length, but this ep highlighted the inconsistencies of the characters behavior. When folks complain of "no character development" this is what I think is really meant.

The gist of it is, the characters' state of mind and behavior is whatever it needs to be to make the events of the episode make sense. That's what I referred to when I spoke of manipulation for dramatic expediency, and I agree it's a legit issue. Some individual eps are very good, but in order for this to be an elite series in my view it would need to do a much better job making them flow into each other believably and logically. Right now it feels to me like there's no real plan - we've just had ten scripts with the same characters and setting, ten one-act plays if you like. It doesn't feel like a cohesive narrative, as you have with some Okada works like TT and AnoHana.
Old 2011-06-06, 12:13   Link #90
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The fundamental problem being described here, seems to me, is a general lack of continuity between episodes. The stylistic inconsistencies have been pointed out at length, but this ep highlighted the inconsistencies of the characters behavior. When folks complain of "no character development" this is what I think is really meant.

The gist of it is, the characters' state of mind and behavior is whatever it needs to be to make the events of the episode make sense. That's what I referred to when I spoke of manipulation for dramatic expediency, and I agree it's a legit issue. Some individual eps are very good, but in order for this to be an elite series in my view it would need to do a much better job making them flow into each other believably and logically. Right now it feels to me like there's no real plan - we've just had ten scripts with the same characters and setting, ten one-act plays if you like. It doesn't feel like a cohesive narrative, as you have with some Okada works like TT and AnoHana.
Thanks for cohesively describing what I been trying to get at. I'm a failure of a writer.
Old 2011-06-06, 12:15   Link #91
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Thanks for cohesively describing what I been trying to get at. I'm a failure of a writer.
More fail than Jiro?
Old 2011-06-06, 12:29   Link #92
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I know you're kidding, but just in case, let me make clear - what I was trying to do was to summarize all of the concerns raised lately along this vein - not just yours, but mine, and several other posters as well. I understood exactly what you were saying and I thought it was presented coherently and precisely.
Old 2011-06-06, 15:44   Link #93
mizou
Observer

Am I the only one to find this episode very bad ?!
well, the scene with Tohru was the only action scene, the rest was boring and I didn't get the stuff about Ohana's dream with ko, especially because they end the episode with it.
this the seconde worse episode after episode 3!!
Old 2011-06-07, 08:00   Link #94
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Okay, in the dream sequence with the Ko vs Kissuiso decision, why the focus on the little girl and the fox? I mean, WTH?

Are we going to bring spirits and fantasy 10 episodes in?

I agree with Kanon et. al. regarding what I want: More friendship!
Old 2011-06-07, 10:00   Link #95
Spat

I'm curious to see where this series is going with another 16 episodes ahead.
Old 2011-06-07, 14:23   Link #96
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter and gave it 8/10....

For me I enjoyed the dream sequence with Kou and the fox spirit - didn't bother me in the least, and I actually felt sad when Kou turned and walked away when Ohana said she loved the people at the Inn. For me it "worked". I would not mind a little of the "supernatural" element mixing in, and actually already felt there was a little present in previous ep's with the crane....

Also laughed quite a bit when the two men working at the Inn came to visit Ohana and the landlady and the head waitress chased them away.
Old 2011-06-07, 15:28   Link #97
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

With regards to the fox and the little girl spirits. I think people are forgetting that episode where they thought that Tohru had gone to the rival inn, and we had this brief explanation of this festival where they light paths for the spirits to find their way home. It had a rather profound effect on Ohana.
Old 2011-06-07, 15:31   Link #98
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
With regards to the fox and the little girl spirits. I think people are forgetting that episode where they thought that Tohru had gone to the rival inn, and we had this brief explanation of this festival where they light paths for the spirits to find their way home. It had a rather profound effect on Ohana.
That's true.

Yet another hint that a "supernatural element" may play a part in the story as it goes on, perhaps?
Old 2011-06-07, 15:33   Link #99
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Then why are they hiding?

My deal, primarily, is that it feels out of place. The scene is about a representative for Ko, and Ohana's choice. That it happened in that setting is representative to how much Ohana was affected by the story. If that was supposed to be the spirits being guided along their way, why would they be hiding just off the beaten path from a mortal and her representative choice?

Also, if it's Ohana's dream, why didn't she acknowledge the presence of two beings that were highlighted to the audience?

It's... frustratingly weird.
Old 2011-06-07, 15:38   Link #100
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Then why are they hiding?

My deal, primarily, is that it feels out of place. The scene is about a representative for Ko, and Ohana's choice. That it happened in that setting is representative to how much Ohana was affected by the story. If that was supposed to be the spirits being guided along their way, why would they be hiding just off the beaten path from a mortal and her representative choice?

Also, if it's Ohana's dream, why didn't she acknowledge the presence of two beings that were highlighted to the audience?

It's... frustratingly weird.
Hmm ... I guess I would ask why they need to show themselves to Ohana? And why would it necessarily need to be shown that Ohana saw them? But that is perhaps not "fair" to ask it like that.

For me what it boils down to is that I do not mind a supernatural element being present in the story (if it will in fact be brought in). For me I feel that I can thoroughly enjoy the interpersonal relationships growing in between the main characters and the like with such an element present.

That being said, I could see why it might bug other people though.