AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-15, 20:46   Link #1141
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
I don't know if they have a lot of budget for their recent anime. To be honest they have only 1 anime this year - Hyouka. Then there will be one more anime next year so I don't think they have so much work.

Probably a good amount of money goes to their salaries.
They are currently working on their next project, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!, which airs this fall. Any project beyond that has not been publicly revealed.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-07-15, 21:46   Link #1142
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
Probably a good amount of money goes to their salaries.
Hardly. The general income is generated thanks to BD/DVD sales and license sold to manufacters for goods, such like your usual bed sheets, mugs and so forth.

Although producing less series is obviously far less of a money sink than multplying the productions, it is also a severe impact on the studio ability to generate income, as the way how Japan consummer habits are -that- volatile (initial sales are the most important of a given product, therefore, past the few first days/weeks, a given DVD/BD/Game etc won't sell that much).
So yeah, even now, smashing hits like haruhi and K-on aren't making everyone's paychecks, so every production counts.

And I never heard of stories stating an excess of budget being attributed to the animators and whatnot.
Old 2012-07-16, 23:39   Link #1143
Warm Mist

I don't think animators and base workers earn royalties anyway. And most of the budget is probably provided by Kadokawa/Pony Canyon, and related sponsors.

I may be wrong, but it's pretty hard to believe the same staff can consistently churn out such wonderful and extremely detailed productions when they're unhappy with their conditions, or working under severe stress. It'd be easier to explain if it was A-1 which hires everyone, but KyoAni doesn't use outside animators and keeps almost everything inhouse. There is a lot of work put into things like Nichijou, or Hyouka, certainly more than their previous productions like Air or Haruhi which still were top-notch for their time. I wouldn't settle for anime industry-tier working conditions if I was animating that.

Anyway, anime projects almost always works with a shoestring budget, and I don't really think Kyoani are a big exception. They probably make good use of trainees that don't need a salary, and distribute the money more evenly between staff.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:36   Link #1144
rulfo

And now... We have a commercial by Horiguchi!

Spoiler for CM Screenshots:

I swear to God they're getting really good at backgrounds and lighting. It's like they collab'd with Makoto Shinkai here. They really nailed the lighting on this one.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-07-18 at 20:04. Reason: Please don't link to that site here.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:37   Link #1145
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
And now... We have a commercial by Horiguchi!

Spoiler for CM Screenshots:

I swear to God they're getting really good at backgrounds and lighting. It's like they collab'd with Makoto Shinkai here. They really nailed the lighting on this one.
For a moment there I thought I was watching something out of Studio Ghibli. Those CMs are getting truly amazing.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-07-18 at 20:04.
Old 2012-07-17, 13:03   Link #1146
leokiko

Awesome as always, but the lack of noses still scares me...
Old 2012-07-17, 14:51   Link #1147
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Awesome as always, but the lack of noses still scares me...
It's funny that I only notice the lack of noses when not in motion (and it's no so much lacking as being reduced to a small dot when not in profile).
Old 2012-07-17, 14:59   Link #1148
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looks like KyoAni is saying...anything any studio can do, we can match it.
Old 2012-07-17, 16:01   Link #1149
Warm Mist

They seem to be always expanding. When will they churn out a mediocre quality show, with QUALITY moments, stills and all the typical average budget practices?
They are also trying to appeal to a wider audience more and more, they might turn into Ghibli-lite while we are not looking
Old 2012-07-18, 19:45   Link #1150
ElCachicamo

I. G. productions used to be my favourite studio because I always liked their characters designs. I like the more realistic and three-dimensional stuff (Jin Roh, Ghost in The Shell Innocence, Blood Last Vampire or Otogi Zoshi) with that style of chiaroscuro that Kazuchika Kise use so well and it is pretty impressive to watch when it is really well animated. I want to see Kyoani trying designs with a more realistic style someday, something from Noujou Junichi maybe .

I read an article somewhere in the Internet where they said that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood had a budget of more or least 530.000 USD for the whole show and I found that to be pretty low because the production values of that show were really good. I just imagine these guys with a good budget of 1million per episode, a good schedule and I'm like . I don't know if people here are aware of Cybersix, that show was animated in Japan with a really good budget and it looked fantastic for their time ( Telecom and TMS were the animations studios in charge).
Old 2012-07-18, 23:00   Link #1151
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
I read an article somewhere in the Internet where they said that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood had a budget of more or least 530.000 USD for the whole show and I found that to be pretty low because the production values of that show were really good. I just imagine these guys with a good budget of 1million per episode, a good schedule and I'm like . I don't know if people here are aware of Cybersix, that show was animated in Japan with a really good budget and it looked fantastic for their time ( Telecom and TMS were the animations studios in charge).
Try 530k per episode, and that would actually start making more sense.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:25   Link #1152
Warm Mist

That's a fucking gigantic budget if it's true, I doubt they would spend 530k per episode on a 64 episode series.
Actually it would be one of the, if not THE, most expensive TV anime ever made. I mean, it's more expensive than Spirited Away.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:32   Link #1153
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps yen instead of dollars? Otherwise, no clue.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:36   Link #1154
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
That's a fucking gigantic budget if it's true, I doubt they would spend 530k per episode on a 64 episode series.
Actually it would be one of the, if not THE, most expensive TV anime ever made. I mean, it's more expensive than Spirited Away.
The budget quote Reckoner wants to see is indeed exaggerated, but Spirited Away's budget was way more than $US530k since it was a single movie.

I know it's not comparable to quote live-action TV to anime budgets, but iirc each Game of Thrones episode costed about $US2million to make whilst an average TV episode can cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to make.

Of course, I'm in no way implying that TV anime should ever be as close to a American TV series, let alone a Japanese one, but the general point to make out of it is that TV anime are made on ridiculously low budgets and the majority of TV anime look like crap.

KyoAni is a fortunate exception to the general rule in that their budgets are substantially larger than the average TV anime which results in some of the best production values the industry can offer. It still does pale in comparison to Ghibli though and definitely pales in comparison to say dedicated Western Animation studios such as Pixar.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:09   Link #1155
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
The budget quote Reckoner wants to see is indeed exaggerated, but Spirited Away's budget was way more than $US530k since it was a single movie.
Multiply 530k USD by 64. Spirited Away of course had a higher budget than that, it's a Ghibli feature after all.
Old 2012-07-19, 07:55   Link #1156
rulfo

Better quality

Old 2012-07-19, 15:43   Link #1157
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Maybe KyoAni should start doing SuperBowl commercials...
Old 2012-07-19, 15:47   Link #1158
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Better quality

Spoiler for tidiness:
This commercial makes me wonder what ARIA would be like if it was animated by KyoAni? Then again, maybe it is for the best that it isn't.

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-19, 15:49   Link #1159
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was a nice commercial. Probably the best I've seen from them in the last 2 years.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-07-19, 20:53   Link #1160
Warm Mist

Kyoani should seriously consider making a full series or movie out of one of their commercials, or a similar concept. They are a perfect fit for these kind of fantastical settings. I'm getting tired of the high school setting, the overall visuals they can churn out are too overwhelming for such a mundane place.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios