AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-17, 17:57   Link #141
aly_angelflight

The minute I saw National opponents in Achiga-hen's cast list, I knew that it wasn't going to be on par with the original anyhow since they would have to rush to get to that point in 12 episodes... so no disappointment from me. ^^;

Arcana Familiglia was disappointing because the summary made me think it was going to be an action-packed anime with some fantasy elements, when it really ended up being rather slice-and-life-ish.

Shin Sekai Yori is disappointing primarily because I can't tell where it's going, and it's presented in such a choppy manner...
aly_angelflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 19:26   Link #142
justsomeguy

If we're going to keep count, then I'll nominate the following:
1) HnG Can't Take My Eyes Off You - not only is it not the anticipated continuation from the second season's ending into the most brilliant part of the manga (which ass made this business decision?), Manglobe's art is terrible, the humor is lacking, gags and references have devolved into outright namedropping, some eps are recycled from earlier parts of the manga into a different (worse) context, I dislike Ruka and her Greek chorus, the ongoing drudge the manga has been going through the past couple of years, the possibility that Hata will write this out of canon when the manga reaches this time point, the possibility that the low sales and poor reception will prevent any more anime of this franchise (and hence no End of the World or Greece arc), etc etc. Basically, everything that can go wrong is.
2) Dog Days' - it's not the lack of plot itself, but rather that the lack of plot led to lack of context/framework for the characters, of which now there are way too many, which will lead to problems in the future if Nanoha was any indication.
3) Little Busters - right now, there's next to no storyline, and some of the standalone episodes are boring
4) Seitokai no Ichizon Lvl II - not only are the characterization and character dynamics different, which negatively affected the humor, the directing and artstyle lack the life of the first season and feel cheap. DEEN > AIC, WTF.
5) Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OF THE DEAD - mostly forgettable, since much of the humor was copy-pasted from the first season; only two eps had anything to do with the big storyline; too short at only 10 aired eps with 2 OVAs.
6) Kokoro Connect - not only was it bland, not just in characters but also in art (surprising for SilverLink), I had issues with the base concept of character development through the direct interference of an alien being (considering nobody can do anything about it, it's basically deus ex machina).

There are some shows that were worse, but didn't qualify because I had no expectations at all. And as for Another, while it wasn't "good" it didn't disappoint me because I saw the whole thing as a brilliant joke, with the last two eps being the epic punchline.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 08:31   Link #143
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

December 24th update. Hurry up the closing date is next week.

Sword Art Online: 23

Another: 16

Eureka Seven AO: 12

Arcana Famiglia: 10

Nisemonogatari: 7
Sakamichi no Apollon: 7
HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You : 7
Little Busters: 7
Hyouka: 7

Rinne no Lagrange :6
Kokoro Connect :6
Black Rock Shooter TV :6

5 Votes:

Natsayuki Rendezvous
Seitokai no Ichizon S2
Karezon of the Dead

4 Votes:

K
KoiChocho
Brave 10
Kill Me Baby
Sankarea
Natsuiro Kiseki

3 Votes:

Accel World
Code Breaker
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder
Girls und Panzer
Shinsekai Yori

2 Votes:

Jormungand S1
Kuroko no Basuke
Tsuritama
Ano Natsu
PapaKiki
Zetman
Medaka Box
Saki: Achiga-hen
Dog Days S2
Otome x Amnesia

1 Vote:

Lupin 3rd Fujiko
Sakurasou
Space Brothers
High School DxD
Robotic;Notes
Bakuman 3rd Season
Acchi Kocchi
To Love-ru Darkness
Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica
Amagami SS+
Joshiraku
Hakuouki Remeiroku
Hiiro no Kakera
Imouto ga Iru
Tari Tari
Aquarian EVOL
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 10:32   Link #144
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Hmm, I would have to say the following

1) Hiiro no Kakera S2
2) Accel World
3) K
4) Eureka Seven AO
5) Dog Days
Old 2012-12-24, 14:10   Link #145
Kmos

•Most disappointing to me would be Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.
Eureka Seven AO and Saki: Achiga-hen to a lesser degree though I liked them somewhat, Saki more than E7 AO.

I've separated dislike from disappointment which is why I didn't include some things I've watched from start to end but never liked it or found a real reason to be interested in with each continuing episodes. Shows like Arcana Famiglia, Brave 10, and K was just on a consistently ____ level for me so I can't say I was disappointed when I never got into them at any point. I also didn't include dropped shows, few as they were.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 15:43   Link #146
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Heh, I guess it shows just how far away from the average anime fan I am when everyone thinks Another was awful and I found it quite good, reminiscent of the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The mystery part wasn't very mysterious, I'll give you that one, but it had a lot of what made the first season of Higurashi creepy and a lot of what made the first Final Destination movie really work well (the less said the better about the sequels, though).

I can't really say what the "worst" anime of 2012 is, though, since I've barely watched anything produced in 2012. Most of it looks so awful I don't even want to bother with it.

I'm watching Shin Sekai Yori and finding it hard to get through. It was recommended to me on the basis of being a good depiction of incidental homosexuality in a non-romance series, but it turns out that everyone just fucks everyone else to reduce the stress of their superpowers, and the main character is clearly hungry for the two male characters' cocks. There isn't any real, loving homosexual romance, and homosexuality is treated as, essentially, a living sex toy, an orgasm-inducing stress ball.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the series, but I went in expecting something based on the recommendation and now I'm getting something completely different. Add to that the aforementioned pacing problems and the aimless feel of the story, it just doesn't seem to be nearly as good as claimed. The character design and art direction is interesting, though.
Old 2012-12-24, 18:22   Link #147
NK_500
Disabled By Request

How Sword Art Online is leading this "race" didn't surprise me at all. I'm more interested on how some of the good shows like Sakamichi no Apollon and Nisemonogatari, the Oscar nominees of the anime world, were also nominated as disappointing. Yes its true most people don't like how SnA turned up expecially in the last few episodes and as for Nisemonogatari I can't say much since I never watch any of Monogatari shows.

Another also deserved to "win" this "award" if SAO never existed but too bad more people seems to hate SAO than Another.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 04:42   Link #148
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
How Sword Art Online is leading this "race" didn't surprise me at all. I'm more interested on how some of the good shows like Sakamichi no Apollon and Nisemonogatari, the Oscar nominees of the anime world, were also nominated as disappointing. Yes its true most people don't like how SnA turned up expecially in the last few episodes and as for Nisemonogatari I can't say much since I never watch any of Monogatari shows.

Another also deserved to "win" this "award" if SAO never existed but too bad more people seems to hate SAO than Another.
"Disappointing" and "bad" are different concepts, which explains how good shows can end up on this list. The last time Watanabe Shinichiro and Kanno Yoko teamed up, they made Cowboy Bebop, so it's easy to be disappointed if Kids on the Slope doesn't measure up to that, and so on.

Personally, I've been lucky enough to avoid building up expectations for shows that don't deserve them. Instead, I've been finding a bunch of fun shows I didn't expect much from at all.

There are a few shows which aren't as good now as their first few episodes, but those shows haven't ended yet. I didn't like Sword Art Online, but I went in expecting it to be bad . Psycho-Pass might deserve to go on the list, but it's still decent enough to be entertaining, and I'm not sure how highly I thought of it in the first place.
Old 2012-12-27, 13:31   Link #149
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm watching Shin Sekai Yori and finding it hard to get through. It was recommended to me on the basis of being a good depiction of incidental homosexuality in a non-romance series, but it turns out that everyone just fucks everyone else to reduce the stress of their superpowers, and the main character is clearly hungry for the two male characters' cocks. There isn't any real, loving homosexual romance, and homosexuality is treated as, essentially, a living sex toy, an orgasm-inducing stress ball.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the series, but I went in expecting something based on the recommendation and now I'm getting something completely different. Add to that the aforementioned pacing problems and the aimless feel of the story, it just doesn't seem to be nearly as good as claimed. The character design and art direction is interesting, though.
Claims of pacing issues or of an "aimless feel" aside, this is an incredibly misguided approach to the series. Its not a series about homosexuality and love is an element, but hardly the main focus of the entire narrative. This is a dystopia fantasy world and its about how the characters, Saki in particular, manage to deal with the difficult situation they been given. All sorts of mystery and suspense are present, and it feels disturbing at many times throughout.

For me it's easily becoming one of the anime of 2013 (It will be completing it then) because of its wonderful world building of a dystopia fantasy world that is hanging on a knife's edge.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 18:56   Link #150
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Because the closing date is coming closer, I decided to add K to my vote as well. Somehow it against my own rule that no shows that were dropped after seeing 1st episode but most of my disappointment is aimed towards Animax-Asia's hype than the show itself. I think Animax-Asia was good on fooling the viewers into thinking they going to show a decent shounen action show but instead we got a fanservice-y otome show instead. While it is debatable who the actual target audiences are but I still think it was made for 16+ females, especially those who crazy for bishies(read: fujioshi). Yeah, two guys blushing towards each other, is this a crap that Animax-Asia wants to shove to our throats with? I think so.

While it is tempting for me to vote Kuroko no Basuke as well but it is pretty obvious that it is made by and for fujioshis. As for K, I didn't saw that coming until it's too late.
Old 2012-12-27, 19:02   Link #151
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hayate The Combat Butler

> right after watching 5 minutes of it... I quickly dropped it. I thought the latest Hayate movie was horrible (though the plot saved it), this was far more worst. They butchered the anime design of second season's. It's horrible. Hope they'll make improvements.

Animation: Failed
Plot: ?
Gags: Average
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 20:10   Link #152
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
While it is tempting for me to vote Kuroko no Basuke as well but it is pretty obvious that it is made by and for fujioshis.
things I learned today: Fujimaki Tadatoshi and the editors at shonen jump are fujioshis
Old 2012-12-27, 20:25   Link #153
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
things I learned today: Fujimaki Tadatoshi and the editors at shonen jump are fujioshis
I knew that was a mistake but at least served as a sarcastic element. I also learned that Ume Aoki(Hidamari Sketch author) is a moefag(antonym for fujioshi) as well.
Old 2012-12-27, 20:53   Link #154
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Heh, I guess it shows just how far away from the average anime fan I am when everyone thinks Another was awful and I found it quite good, reminiscent of the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The mystery part wasn't very mysterious, I'll give you that one, but it had a lot of what made the first season of Higurashi creepy and a lot of what made the first Final Destination movie really work well (the less said the better about the sequels, though).

I can't really say what the "worst" anime of 2012 is, though, since I've barely watched anything produced in 2012. Most of it looks so awful I don't even want to bother with it.

Why would you watch Shin Sekai for homosexual relationships when that's not the main point of the story? Whoever reccomended you this title on that basis has misled you
Old 2012-12-27, 20:58   Link #155
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

I'll pretend I didn't read that.. Don't give people the wrong interpretation...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 21:02   Link #156
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I too can make a long rant about Kuroko no Basuke but at same time I don't think KnB was marketed exclusively for fujioshis alone. Take a look on last year's Tiger and Bunny for example. It wasn't made for fujioshis but it was very popular on them. Just blame the fujioshis in pixiv and deviantArt instead of the author, editors, etc.

Short update:

Hiiro no Kakera: 2
Accel World: 4
K: 6
Eureka Seven AO: 14
Dog Days S2: 3
Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse: 1
Saki: Achiga-hen: 3
Shinsekai Yori: 4
HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You: 8
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 21:18   Link #157
Qilin
Romanticist

A bit sad to see Saki Achiga-hen so high on the list, but I kinda expected that. It really doesn't stand well on its own in the way the original did. It's still an immensely enjoyable series for me regardless.

Now if we're talking disappointments, I'd like to add in another vote for Robotics;Notes. It's probably my fault for giving in to the hype after Steins;Gate. But really, I have no idea what this show aims to achieve at this point. It's sort of stuck in that weird limbo between coming-of-age slice-of-life and edgy sci-fi thriller. Yep. It seems to suffering from some sort of identity crisis at the moment. It's not even that bad of a show, just another example of how hype can dampen an otherwise okay show's appeal.

Now as for SAO, I just knew it was going to fall flat on its face after reading that terrible third novel, so I can't exactly chalk that down as a disappointment, can I?

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-12-28 at 02:55.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 02:50   Link #158
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Area no Kishi
Everytime I see this, I just shake my head on what could have been. Not really the anime's fault (source material and all), but I just couldn't get into its fantastical elements as I felt they were so out of place in an otherwise ordinary, run of the mill show.

Eureka Seven Ao
I actually liked the overall story of Ao. Thing is, having a 2 week break because of the olympics coupled with the fact that the final episodes were a couple months late BECAUSE of the break killed series interest.

Onii-ai
The time skip at the end of episode 1 really killed any interest that I had, as it skipped over the character introductions. How am I supposed to feel for the characters if I didn't get to know them in the first place?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 03:41   Link #159
Archaeon

1. Sword Art Online
2. Nisemonogatari
3.Total Eclipse
4. HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You
5. Little Busters
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 18:47   Link #160
NK_500
Disabled By Request

This could be a spam post but I have an idea to make this "tournament" more interesting and fairer. From 2013 onwards we should have two rounds instead of just one. The first round to nominate the top 6. The 6 six shows which had the highest nominations. The 6 six nominated shows went to second round and this time to vote which is the "winner".