AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-09, 04:08   Link #121
tomtkp

It is not surprising to see SAO goes into the top spot of the most dissapointing anime this year. Even for me as a SAO fan, the anime really is a bit dissapointing. I ever wish we have better production team and anime studio such as Sunrise, PIG to animate SAO instead of the current production team.

Looking at the previous comments, it seems that many considered SAO has nothing more to offer than the Mary Sue or whatever wish fulfillment story. But really, it's the opposite. If you read the light novel from the third arc onwards, you will understand that SAO actually has more to offer than what you are currently watching in the anime.

So, yeah, the anime may seem like a Mary Sue story for now but this is not the end of the story yet since SAO light novel still continues on.
Old 2012-12-09, 04:28   Link #122
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm... SAO wins by landslide victory, huh? I guess it's a lesson on how NOT to overhype a legit badass MC.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 05:05   Link #123
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Hmm... SAO wins by landslide victory, huh? I guess it's a lesson on how NOT to overhype a legit badass MC.
A legit badass who can't beat his little sister/cousin in a sword fight.
Yeeeaahhhhh.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 06:48   Link #124
judasmartel
*Author

"Yeah, right," indeed.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 11:10   Link #125
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
Another big surprise to see Sakamichi no Apollon got 6 votes, even more than Kill Me Baby and Brave 10 which are practically broken in first place.
As someone who listed Sakamichi no Apollon let me remind you this is not a thread about shows you disliked but shows that disappointed. In order to be disappointed you have to have reasonably high expectations about a show as I did with Apollon. It's still a good show, and one I would recommend, but I was disappointed by the turn of events in the last few episodes.

Update
Rather than make a separate post, let me add one more show that so disappointed me that I had already forgotten I watched it when this began. That show is Moyashimon Returns. I really enjoyed the original Moyashimon, but the sequel was at best mediocre. I did not see the point for the French arc, when the original setting in the college still had plenty of potential. Excellent characters like Kei and Aoi got short shrift while we had a heavy dose of the sidekick guys and an inconsequential French woman. Luckily the microbes were still cute. After waiting five years for the sequel it was decidedly unrewarding.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-12-11 at 09:05. Reason: added Moyashimon Returns
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:34   Link #126
Fuyuno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I understand the criticism regarding K as being "style over substance", but I have yet to see what this reverse harem you speak of in the series.
For some reasons I forgot to respond to this one. Maybe I was too busy ranting and don't have much time to access to the internet but I think I need to answer this.

It true that K isn't a reverse harem but it still an action show aimed to female viewers rather than male ones. Heck there's only 2 female characters who had significant roles while the rest are males aka bishies. I wouldn't say it as "shounen for girls" due to political, linguist and factual incorrectness. Yeah "action chick-flick" isn't new even in the West. In Hollywood they already made Knight & Day and This Means War for examples.

I'm glad that Medaka Box got more than one vote.

For one last time in this thread, I decided to vote for Sakamichi no Apollon. While not bad to begin with(in fact it's good) but the last 2-3 episodes betrayed it good first half. Yeah I also agree with SeijiSensei.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 01:33   Link #127
Kakkou
Tch.

I really want to give this title to Guilty Crown, but since it doesn't qualify I'll just have to go with something else.

Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2 - Really lousy sequel that's vastly inferior to the first series and medicore at it's best. This is not the SeiZon I came to love. I'll leave it at that since I've already done my share of venting in the actual thread. I guess in that vein Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Keep My Eyes of You counts, though not as severe as this supposed SeiZon sequel.

Sword Art Online - There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. Also Suguha's brocon problems made watching the Fairy Dance even more difficult. Oh and there was near Asuna tentacle rape but none for Kirito? Hmph!

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - It's actually pretty good but the final scene of the last ep ruined everything the series built up. A truly disappointing series that stumbled from great to shit in just a few minutes before the end.

There were some others but I ultimately didn't care too much about them overall to really feel disappointed enough to mention.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 11:49   Link #128
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Another - Probably the biggest culprit. It just got so stupid and lazy near the end. Had a lot of buildup going for it, but was blown badly. Liked parts of it, but it just fell short in a lot of ways.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka: of the dead - Could probably just go to a third season skipping this and not miss all that much. There was maybe 2 episodes that actually mattered in that season. Really expected a lot more from this.

Seitokai no Ichizon lvl2 - This has been rough. Trying to follow up on a great season is tough, but this didn't do it well. First you lose half of the main casts voices and replace them with poor substitutes. Then the visuals actually feel like a downgrade along with the council room. Really it's the love of the first season that's carried this series and not this second season.

As to SAO, I'm not surprised to see it up there. Just about every week was full of complaining and hate on the series. Pretty much the only way to enjoy the show was to avoid the subforum.
Old 2012-12-15, 23:27   Link #129
n120cky

Sword Art Online - It should end on SAO arc.

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder - Well I'm expecting for great plot and badass MC.

Hyouka - The ending is just not for me.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 02:30   Link #130
DemonOfWrath

I'll go with Another out of what I've watched. Brilliant buildup the first half (I'm a massive sucker for creepy mysteries) then it threw all of it away and went down the toilet with increasingly ludicrous killings and violence.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 05:38   Link #131
CJ_Walker

I'm going to with Eureka 7 AO

Accel world

FAM (was it this year? I forgot)

I was expecting both AO amd FAM to be wtf awesome. . .and they both really really really disappointed me. I mean in both cases they had YEARS to think up of a good story and decent character, but FAM just had moeblob pandering, and AO was just wtfretarded Hell, I actually would prefer FAM over AO. . .that's how bad AO was.

and don't get me started on Naru. . .worst character of all time, I like truth more than her. . .at least he had some motivation. . .Naru was just a bitch for the sake of it.

I would have said SAO but I actually read the plot line ahead of time and facepalmed after the ending of the first arc. ..and this was form READING the spoilers (I have to do that now a lot of time so that I know that a show isnt going to be a waste of time as there seems to be a lot of crap out there nowdays) so I knew it was going to be bad, and just treated the scene where kirito walks out of the hospital to find asuna as the ending. . .and I was pretty satisfied LOL.

Accell world. . .I really wanted to like that show, and I was untill the NTR'ing arc happened. . .hell even before that when the loli tsundere entered the picture I was getting bored and rolling my eyes. . .which is a shame because I REALLY was hooked on the futuristic setting of that show. . .

On another note, I'm actually starting to really dislike anime now, all the common tropes that keep appearing: the school settings, the TSUNDERES, the childhood friend, the whole "friendship powah" bullshit, the incest or "incest," the overt sexualization of CHILDREN (so the fuck what if they are "14-17and a half, that dont mean shit when they look like 10-12 year olds WFTFTFTF!) and I know that anime is pretty much in general targeting those people in Japan that like that kind of stuff. My first impressions of anime was pretty much tentacle rape, untill some of my friends here in Japan introduced me to cowboy bebop, serei no moribito, kemono no souja erin, and one piece. and more like that I cant really think of. . .and I really got into it, but really every year(not season. ..year) there's maybe three or four shows that I can watch without feeling like some creepy pedo, or without face palming and deleting the show.

This year is Shin-sekai yori, and Psycho pass because of gen. . .with psycho pass being my favorite of the year, Shin-sekai yori is. . .ok I loved it at first, but since then I've gone "meh" Robotics notes is kinda good, but again school settings. . .I mean sure its futuristic and I love that but still. . .school settings.

I tried to watch fate zero. . . but I fell a sleep twice during the first episode. . .so I just ended up marathoning it since everyone was creaming up over it. . .(I only liked Iskandar/gilgamesh. . .everyone else was meh lol so pretty much after he was offed, I stopped watching)

I believe last year I just watched steins gate. . .okabe was charismatic enough for me to ignore the tsundere, and the time travel plot was actually done right for a change *gasp*

hell I spend most of my time reading good manga instead i.e. one punch man, the economics demon queen manga, one piece etc...

Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but I just have no more patience for bullshit shows anymore.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 05:51   Link #132
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Another - for already mentioned reasons. Y u do dis?!
Rinne no Lagrange Season 2 - expected an epic ending with lots of explosions and shit - got Friendship is Anticlimax. : | I want my money back.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 06:25   Link #133
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Midway (or 2/3) through the Fall season, I think I can now form my opinions. Simply put, I still watch Panzer and SAO, but LB and Chuuni are dropped. As horribly flawed as Panzer and SAO are, they are absolutely entertaining. So while I was disappointed in the plot department, I wasn't disappointed in what it delivered.

Even after that, LB and Chuuni have their quirks and I can't say they are the most disappointing of the year. Here are some which I think are, though:

1) Shinsekai yori: I expected something. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this. The pacing is bad and the direction seemed to go nowhere. I really was disappointed after being excited to watch this show.

2) Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A: I can't even drop the "entertaining" card here like SAO and Panzer. Not only was the mahjong part of the anime done poorly, but the entire season seems like fanservice. Now I know the first season also had yuri fanservice and it's not all about mahjong. But that had some sort of direction, a plot, character development, and not just fanservice! As a fan of the first season (which probably played a big role in this decision), Achiga-hen was a huge disappointment.

3) Sankarea: I actually finished this anime so it can't be that bad, right? Well...true. But even so, the entire season was set up for a climax that doesn't exist. It was basically that, a setup for a sequel. I just don't get it. Usually you have conflict -> resolution at the end. But here you end the anime with...conflict? Now I know from novel readers that it is like that, so if I want to fault someone, blame the writer, not the studio. Even so, I can't deny that I was truly disappointed at the ending.

4) Hyouka: It just doesn't do it for me. It feels like a mess, like the director doesn't know if he wants it to be a slice of life or mystery anime. Some told me to just enjoy it for what it is, but I just can't help but wanting something to actually happen or just be a slice of life/rom-com. For example, everything builds up to the first arc nicely, but episode 5 fell flat and I was yawning on what was supposed to be an "impact" episode.

5) Black Rock Shooter: I couldn't get through the 4th episode. Nope. I dropped it in the middle of the episode because it was so frustrating to have a such stupid plot device play out and not focus on...well, anything. I was still as confused with the two-worlds like the OVA, except the OVA told a nice story and was interesting. I was hoping for the series to clarify the OVA, but all it did was gave me more confusion.

EDIT: I will not nominate Hayate S3 because I had no expectations for it in the first place. But even then, it felt like...something else. So in short, it was as bad as I thought it would be.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2012-12-16 at 06:36.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 15:54   Link #134
Mokoko
Young Aspergus Eater

Another for the already reasons mentioned...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mokoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 17:53   Link #135
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'll throw one in for Saki: Episode of Side A. I wasn't expecting anything as good as the original series but it's still a disappointment.

Everything we needed to know about most of the characters is introduced at the beginning meaning there's no room for a flashback to tell a little bit more about them to keep games fresh. Saki wasn't an in-depth story but the move to withhold background info until a game needed to be revitalized kept it from becoming stale.

This is further worsened by the excessive amount of cameos from the original anime. All of Side A's characters end up being overshadowed by what should be nothing more than shout-outs. Fans of the original anime will appreciate the (re?)appearances of Stealth Momo and other familiar faces but I can't see how they'd like the rest of the show when it fails in comparison to its predecessor.

The only saving grace for Side A is one stand-out of a character who's well-written/directed/whatever to the point where it's like the writers suddenly remembered what made Saki so good in the first place.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 21:42   Link #136
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I must have odd tastes is comparison to others in this thread. Hyouka is on my short list of best show of the year
1. Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka... of the dead- just wasn't as much fun as the first season.
2. Natsuiro Kiseki- an interesting idea, but the best character was a rock
3. Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai- sure I wasn't expecting much, but this show turned into such a train wreck
4. Little Busters- clearly not as good as Clannad, Air, or Kanon. Maybe it will get better, but it is certainly one of my bigger disappointments
5. Girls und Panzer- I like the show, but highly disappointed in the production team. First they get behind and have to do a recap episode. Now they have to skip the last two episodes for 3 months
Old 2012-12-17, 10:51   Link #137
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
5) Black Rock Shooter:
Oh, god. Please don't remind me of that hideous piece of shit. I can never love BRS the same anymore.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 12:27   Link #138
raduccio

By the way, aren't we having the usual animesuki choice awards this year? It was kind of a tradition.
raduccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 13:09   Link #139
Blaat

I hope so but the nomination tend to start at the very of 2012 or beginning of 2013.
Old 2012-12-17, 13:32   Link #140
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
I'll throw one in for Saki: Episode of Side A. I wasn't expecting anything as good as the original series but it's still a disappointment.

Everything we needed to know about most of the characters is introduced at the beginning meaning there's no room for a flashback to tell a little bit more about them to keep games fresh. Saki wasn't an in-depth story but the move to withhold background info until a game needed to be revitalized kept it from becoming stale.

This is further worsened by the excessive amount of cameos from the original anime. All of Side A's characters end up being overshadowed by what should be nothing more than shout-outs. Fans of the original anime will appreciate the (re?)appearances of Stealth Momo and other familiar faces but I can't see how they'd like the rest of the show when it fails in comparison to its predecessor.

The only saving grace for Side A is one stand-out of a character who's well-written/directed/whatever to the point where it's like the writers suddenly remembered what made Saki so good in the first place.
I actually completely forgot about this series; had I remembered I'd have mentioned it in my original post as well. I agree with pretty much all of the above, except I don't really think they did a good job of telling us all we need to know at the beginning either. I never really felt a connection to any of the Achiga team. They just seemed really...bland compared to the characters of the original. Their motivations, hopes, and dreams weren't really shown in much detail. Shizuno, who seemed to have been initially presented as the protagonist, got the least development of all, I feel. They never really expanded on her at all beyond her "determination" and wanting to see Nodoka.

By the end of the series I just decided Toki was the actual protagonist.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote