AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-06-17, 21:38   Link #21
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

My dad loves Bugs Bunny, and he's 50-something already. He still laughs like a child when he watches them. I think that when I'll be 50, I'll do the same with anime. Heck, as long as I'm alive and not senile, I think I'll enjoy anime.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 01:26   Link #22
Edgewalker
Nani ?

My grandparents are obsessed with south park... and Im getting into my 20's.

Point: You never really grow up.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 03:05   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wasn't aware of any upper age restriction on watching entertainment outside of death. As far as anime goes, people who were eccentric when young tend to be eccentric when old -- if they were boring when they were young.... they're still boring when they get old. Moral? Don't be boring.

I will admit my wife and I don't have a lot in common with our average peers --- but there's a few of us that stay interesting (or at least have hobbies that are).

The people who think cartoons are for kids are basically uninformed. Looneytoons (the classics - Bugs and Daffy) were *designed* for adults to watch in theatres before the main feature started. The Animaniacs series of the early '90s played to this (yeah its for kids, wink wink nudge nudge) by slipping in adult humor in a constant barrage or paying homage to entertainment dating back to the Marx Brothers and vaudeville.

Anime is a way to tell stories on a modest budget. The story can be anything from mindless PokeZballruto to serious philosophy (Planetes) to teen/adult themes. If Utawarerumono were live action - it'd be hailed as competition to other recent fantasy epics.

Besides... why should any of us restrict ourselves to what some moron in marketing thinks is "targeted" to our age group or demographic?
They're basically clueless anyway...

And as far as "social acceptability" ... why would I *want* to join the sheeples glued to American Idol or Survival completely-unrelated-to-reality reality shows? They're the ones who need to explain themselves.
Old 2006-08-29, 03:59   Link #24
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?
When you are well above the age group of the anime's target audience.

It's like books. People, young and old, read books. However, there are some books that are meant for a younger audience. If you are thirty and are still reading The Hardy Boys series, you can be certain it'll raise a more than a few eyebrows.

There's an age when you are simply too old to go trick-or-treating on Halloween's. Likewise, there has to be an age when you are too old to go around telling people you still watch Dragonballz, even to other anime fans.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 04:02   Link #25
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well it seems Vexx and Anime Online has totally opposite views.

From both posts I clonclude:

Anime and cartoons do target age groups, but is not restricted to just those audience.

Anime and cartoons can be watched by any age.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 04:42   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. what he calls "certain" I'd call "possible" .... the Hardy Boys may draw an eyebrow (though I doubt many people remember them) but reading Winnie the Pooh or the Alice adventures is considered literature whatever the age.

We're not completely opposite .... some types of anime are pretty simple-minded just like some live television is simple-minded. Television gives us Next American Idol Chef On Island and the Dukes of Hazzard as well as Masterpiece Theatre or the CSI dramas.
Old 2006-08-29, 07:11   Link #27
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I've got generally the same mentality as many here. I'm 26 and have a pretty demanding job working brokerage for a multi-billion dollar company. Tho not married my romance life is by no means zero. However, I still manage to make anime and gaming a part of my life. If anything, my hobby is spreading to other rather than alienating myself from them.

I don't think you can outgrow a type of entertainment or a gendre or target market. If that were the case then marketing would be a flawless industry, always obtaining a 100% rate of success. And I don't believe a person should let society or the world tell them what they should and shouldn't do. It's people who make the world, so if anything I'd try to get others to understand that anime and videogames are good storytelling mediums.

So with this mindset I'll likely be watching anime until the day I die. I look forward to watching the latest fansubs with my future children
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 08:45   Link #28
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
As for being too old to watch anime...personally, I would advocate my grandfather starting up a World of Warcraft account simply so he would have something to do during the day. He'll simply read the newspaper, sleep, mow the lawn, sleep, and eat at scheduled times before going to sleep again. Oversimplificiation? Not quite. If I could get him into anything other then living in the past, I would, by all means. Anime or even reading would be a refreshing change for him.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 08:46   Link #29
DaFool
Resident devil

I've outgrown live-action shows, political debates, and the 9-5 job.

I find Binchou-tan and company, as well as Akari-chan, Alicia-san and friends, to have a far more mature outlook on life than any random starlet on TV.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 10:56   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whatever assisted care living I end up in, better have high speed internet so I can continue happily slaughtering monsters and players with poor timing as well as downloading the latest fansubs because I'm sure not going to be watching "The Price is Right".
Old 2006-08-29, 11:37   Link #31
Kisuke06
I see...

Too old to watch anime? There is no such thing. =P
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 11:41   Link #32
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea, saying too old for anime is like saying too old to eat.

One will only stop eating when they're too sick to do anything, when they're in coma, when they're about to die or when they're actually dead.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 11:45   Link #33
Lost

My friend, you're never too old to watch anime. Just like how you're never too old to watch SpongeBob Squarepants.

Whether you enjoy it, however, is entirely a different matter.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 14:01   Link #34
Starch
Looks its a potato

Your never Too old to watch Anime, play video games, or watch retarded, insulting, movies like Half Bake, Old School, or Clerks 2
Starch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 14:42   Link #35
Tabris

And since nobody here will reach that age, it's all gravy.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 14:47   Link #36
Furudanuki

I don't know when it does happen, but based on personal experience I can say that it doesn't happen before you turn 49.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 17:05   Link #37
Kikaifan
Blazing General

When you lose interest. All there is to it.
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 19:50   Link #38
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hmm...no one is ever too old to watch anime its just a matter of fact if you are still interested in it when you grow older...i mean theres jobs you have to do and things you have to worry about...there might not be enough time for you to enjoy anime anymore...kinda sad i know but i could happen
i cnt see or hope that wont happen to me tho

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 20:28   Link #39
FF King

Well everyone is agreeing that their is no paticular age in which its not okay to watch anime or cartoons. So why are we discussing this oh yeah we are waiting for someone to say something stupid like "You shouldn't watch anime after age 18" then we could all like go O-F-F on him. I know some people just want to put their honest opinon out and say what they feel, but whatever I'm a troublemaker don't mind me
FF King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 20:50   Link #40
ILoveKiyone
Theonewhoateyourfunyuns

Location: S.E. Pennsylvania(or in your heart, whichever is warmer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris

And since nobody here will reach that age, it's all gravy.
Congratulations! You are the first ever winner of Ilove Kiyone's f#%in'
coolest reply ever for this thread! Your prize? Good karma, my friend.
Good karma.
ILoveKiyone is offline   Reply With Quote