AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-05-08, 05:49   Link #341
icebreaker

Food for thought here -
Volume 7 is generally about parallels, such as:
Ebina = Hachiman = (Yukino in the past)
Tobe = Yui = (Hayato in the past)
The situation between Ebina and Tobe is solved through warning off the side that is trying to confess. In the end, Tobe is happy, Ebina is happy.
The situation between Hachiman and Yui is handled the exact same way - Yui was warned to not confess. Why did it turn into a turmoil?
Currently the only explanation I thought of is that Yui's feelings for Hachiman is way stronger compared to Tobe's feelings to Ebina. Thoughts?
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 07:04   Link #342
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Well there's that and I think there's also the fact that there's no people who wants the status quo for Yui/Hachiman relationship other than Hachiman. Because the clique wants to preserve it, only Tobe got the brunt of it...

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:04   Link #343
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
Food for thought here -
The situation between Ebina and Tobe is solved through warning off the side that is trying to confess. In the end, Tobe is happy, Ebina is happy.
The situation between Hachiman and Yui is handled the exact same way - Yui was warned to not confess. Why did it turn into a turmoil?
Currently the only explanation I thought of is that Yui's feelings for Hachiman is way stronger compared to Tobe's feelings to Ebina. Thoughts?
Ebina has something to protect: her friendship with the clique. Also, Ebina and Tobe come to understand each other better after Hachiman's stunt.

This doesn't hold true for Hachiman himself. What exactly is Hachiman trying to protect? His pride in being a loner? It also makes it even more difficult to understand him. What does he really want?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:10   Link #344
terribad

Quote:
Food for thought here -
Tobe from what was shown seems pretty well adjusted. On the other hand Yui has to deal with two of her friends, Yumiko and Yukino, (hating?) each other and whatever issues she acquired from her implied troubled past. Perhaps she used her feelings as means to deal with her problems - for example escapism. Maybe she saw Hachiman as a "knight in shining armour". If the above is true, Hachiman's rejection not only rids her of some her means of escapism but adds heartbreak as well.

Another factor I thought of is because the indirect rejections are different:

Ebina
The rejection here was clear and impersonal. The message was "she didn't want a boyfriend" rather than "I don't want you as a boyfriend". Plus there is the implication that her position could change in future in other words hope for Tobe.

Hachiman
His was ambiguous. By virtue of just this, Yui has plenty of room to imagine some worst case scenario. The mind can be your worst enemy in the face of the unknown. Hachiman's previous resistance/rejections aren't helping her optimism. It follows that I think there is likely worst case scenario. She interpreted his rejection as "I don't want you as a girlfriend". If we assume that's true, a future change in position is less or at least more uncertain than Ebina. Because Hachiman likely knows Yui's psychology (involves personality) well, if he's says "I don't see you as a girlfriend" it's based on his psychology and somewhat accurate observation of her's. Hachiman's position is based on their psychology rather the situation as it seems to remain constant in spite of all the volumes passed. If so Hachiman implies that a change of status quo is impossible unless one or both them change. In other words the chances are slim because people don't change their personalities easily or at all depending on who you ask.

Last edited by terribad; 2013-05-09 at 00:30. Reason: Cut the bad attempt at jokes and examples. Cleared up the paragraphs. Hopefully now someone will be kind enough to disagree?
terribad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:10   Link #345
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This doesn't hold true for Hachiman himself. What exactly is Hachiman trying to protect? His pride in being a loner? It also makes it even more difficult to understand him. What does he really want?
He's protecting his "friendship", or whatever meager relationship he had, with Yui.

Anyway some magazine spoiled the title for episode 10 of the anime (What? Why episode 10? Don't ask me either..)
依然として彼らの距離は変わらずに祭はもうすぐカーニバル
This looks like the last chapter of Volume 5. So we'll be getting Volume 6 in the anime too.
Old 2013-05-08, 10:13   Link #346
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
This looks like the last chapter of Volume 5. So we'll be getting Volume 6 in the anime too.
Guess we're getting the concert scene by the looks of it. It's some bittersweet end too though if we consider what happened to Hachiman in that book..

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:17   Link #347
Shadow5YA

Quote:
He's protecting his "friendship", or whatever meager relationship he had, with Yui.

Anyway some magazine spoiled the title for episode 10 of the anime (What? Why episode 10? Don't ask me either..)
依然として彼らの距離は変わらずに祭はもうすぐカーニバル
We know this as the readers with insight on Hachiman thoughts. No one else does.

Ebina is direct and openly states her feelings, thanks to Hachiman. Hachiman himself doesn't get this, so he comes off as beating around the bush. Even when Yui asks him about it, he never really gives a direct answer (or has a chance to).

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-05-08 at 10:43.
Old 2013-05-08, 13:12   Link #348
csuree
The Most Hated™

well I think I was right... the anime will be 12 episodes concluding with volume 6.

another thing about Yui. How many of you observed that Hikki said that at the start of high school he got into the accident and the anime started in his second year.....this means that Yui had feelings for him even before the anime started for about a year but she could not start up anything.....and when she finally had the courage to do something she went to the volunteer's club for help... that is when she started to know Hikki more and her intentions kicked into overdrive and compared to the "1st year which was never mentioned" she became more aggressive in her approach.

And also she mentions how Hikki behaves in class meaning she observed him during that 1 year.
I hardly think she will give up on him if she managed it somehow without talking to him 1 year and after that.... half-year with him in the club where she got much closer to her goal. it would be a total waste of 1.5 year if she gave up now.....I'm pretty sure because she is cute and caring she was confessed to not once..... but she probably refused those guys because the "prince on white horse" was in front of her disguised as a dark knight.

She might be impressed how heroic he was that day saving her dog.....and after the incident he never bragged about it.....that is a huge thing for caring girls like Yui.

If I were her I would not give up on him, instead I would try to find a solution to his problem and help hm any way possible. She must have realized by now that Hikki has tis problem and that even he has moments of "weakness" where his loner facade softens up.

I cheer on so everybody will help Hikki overcome his troubles.

By the way Hikki suffers from the same thing as me.....he does not want things to change around him... he likes the current situation.....and that is why he is acting like this, even though he gives good advice to people most of the times.
Old 2013-05-08, 17:19   Link #349
Tenzen12

Actually, he did brag about it quite naturally in first occasion he got (tenis chapter), if what you said were truth, she would get quite disapointed by him...

And I don't think he likes his current situation, it's more like for him things go more often down than up. So he just doesn't want get screwed by changes.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 20:15   Link #350
csuree
The Most Hated™

I reviewed the volume and the anime again.......He mentions calmly in a composed manner like a modest guy that he got caught in an accident but nothing more....(bragging I meant in a sense: "hey, I saved your dog, am I a hero or what.??" type comments.)

Yeah he is afraid of changes bringing negative aspects in his not so happy life. "Better no change, if it only brings pain." (I said that many times to my friends)
Also after the "first pseudo-rejection of Yui at the field trip(end of vol 2 or episode 5)" he says the "whole reasoning why he hates nice girls" but in fact he likes that feeling to be treated kindly.

"I hate nice girls. Just exchanging greetings with them will get them on your mind. Start texting each other, and your heart will be set a flutter. If they call you, you're done for. Enjoy staring at your call logs and grinning like a fool. However, I will not be fooled again. That is what you call kindness. If you are nice to me, then you are also nice to others. I always end up nearly forgetting that. Reality is harsh, so I am sure, lies are a form of kindness and thus kindness is a form of lie also. i always ended up with these expectations and these misunderstandings. And before I knew it I stopped hoping. A loner like me is once bitten, twice shy. As a veteran of this battlefield of life, I have gotten used to losing. That is why I will always hate nice girls."
Hikigaya Hachiman.

Well this quote shows us that he is like every one of us guys .....If a girl shows a little interest in us we tend to go overboard and most likely forget that she behaves like that with almost every other person around her. In this idea he has also given the hint that he was bitten by this "love-bug" not once but many times and after a while he chose to ignore it, so he made up this pathetic excuse that he hates nice girls.

So once this is why he said to Ebina that if she is too nice to him he might fall in love. These 2 affirmations are just shouting out that he needs some romantic attention. He is craving to be loved, but his rational mind is just too damn strong....."Scumbag Brain.....Why you no let Hikki be happy" (Meme style )
Old 2013-05-08, 20:21   Link #351
Tenzen12

In novel he did, though he obviously didn't know it was her dog due how much she changed from back then. He even used word heroic to describe himself

But, yes it weren't in anime. (By volume you mean manga? as I read only four chapters...)

He has it rough, his heart screwed whatever it could, so he gave reins to brain which screws everything as well.. I think there is only one part that didn't failed him yet, but he would be idiot listen to it...

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-05-08 at 20:58.
Old 2013-05-08, 20:52   Link #352
kobester11

So, the anime ends in volume 6... They're really going for 2 episodes per volume, huh? Plus, 6 volumes in a 1 cour series? Is it me or that's the first time it happened? Normally, they would adapt 3 to 4 volumes...

Anyways, quite a fitting yet bittersweet end indeed... Let's hope a season 2 for the next 2 years T.T
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 21:10   Link #353
Shadow5YA

It's not like this is the first time Yukino expressed disapproval over Hachiman's methods.

I never really got the feeling that Hachiman apologized properly in volume 3 for what he said to Yui either.

So this isn't really that big of a surprise as it's "he did it again".
Old 2013-05-08, 21:59   Link #354
NeutralZero

Yahari is a great series so they really shouldn't butcher it that much...

after reading the summary of v4... just how will they manage to fit in all good scene in that voulme in 2 episode
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 22:09   Link #355
Tenzen12

I will be extremly angry, if they leave out Shizukas flags
Old 2013-05-08, 22:43   Link #356
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobester11 View Post
So, the anime ends in volume 6... They're really going for 2 episodes per volume, huh? Plus, 6 volumes in a 1 cour series? Is it me or that's the first time it happened? Normally, they would adapt 3 to 4 volumes...

Anyways, quite a fitting yet bittersweet end indeed... Let's hope a season 2 for the next 2 years T.T
Oreimo season 2. 7 Volumes in 15 episodes.
Yahari anime is heavily cutting on Volume 3, where much of it is basically pointless. There isn't much progression in Volume 5 too. I'd imagine they would cut on that too.

Volume 7 actually has the most progression between the main characters. The author heavily cut on the reference jokes, and there never was a plot this subtle before Volume 7.
Old 2013-05-08, 22:46   Link #357
Shadow5YA

Eh... I think there were plenty of subtleties in volume 4.
Old 2013-05-08, 22:58   Link #358
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Eh... I think there were plenty of subtleties in volume 4.
Those are just hints at the past, this time it's a huge bulk of (romantic) development between the main characters.
Old 2013-05-08, 23:33   Link #359
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Those are just hints at the past, this time it's a huge bulk of (romantic) development between the main characters.
Depends on what you mean by "development". Nothing has really changed. Tobe and Ebina aren't going out, though I agree the volume fleshed out Ebina that much more.

Yui already got shot down indirectly by Hachiman before at the end of volume 2, then had salt rubbed in the wound by him again in volume 3 when he decided to run his mouth off even more. Hachiman even commented there would be a distance that would forever remain between Yui and him.

Yukino hating the way he does things is a statement she tends to repeat in every book like her "I'm not a person to tell lies" line. I know for sure she said it in volume 4, but she presumably let it go because back then, something good always came out of it.

That's a little more difficult to say in volume 7. Tobe requests that the Service Club help make him and Ebina a couple, which clearly did not happen. In addition, Hachiman hurts Yui's feelings (again), and nothing is truly gained from the experience except Ebina's perspective on things that makes her a little more than just the fujoshi bokke in Miura's clique. In the past, even if Hachiman's methods were cruel and unfair (like getting the stuffed animal Yukino wanted by paying the arcade store worker to take it out for him ), they still got something out of it.
Old 2013-05-09, 00:57   Link #360
kobester11

Quote:
Oreimo season 2. 7 Volumes in 15 episodes.
Yahari anime is heavily cutting on Volume 3, where much of it is basically pointless. There isn't much progression in Volume 5 too. I'd imagine they would cut on that too.

Volume 7 actually has the most progression between the main characters. The author heavily cut on the reference jokes, and there never was a plot this subtle before Volume 7.
Basing from what I watched, kinda doubt they will be adapting the rest of Oreimo. They've excluded some parts. Plus, it's going toradora style. Where the LN finishes along the anime and there's a possible OVA and whatnot.
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club, comedy, delayed release date, dramedy, fake harem, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology, train wreck