AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 12:34   Link #161
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LZOfuC7qs

This video sums up my thoughts.
while the subject matter is a bitch
i have to admit that this video is fucking awesome
Old 2009-07-23, 12:39   Link #162
ReneeBurossamu

Expected. Apparently people left the production committee, so that's why Haruhi's production/episode placement fucking sucks now.

EDIT, DAMMMITTTTT someone beat me to it above.
Old 2009-07-23, 12:40   Link #163
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
*snips*
Yes, it was posted both at the Relaunch thread and the one for the previous episode.
Old 2009-07-23, 12:47   Link #164
Mr. Yoso

all i could say is!
nobody ever promised / confirmed a certain amount of episodes for the "Re-airing"
so why is everyone worrying about Sighs being shafted? (or even Disappearance)
let's all wait 'til it's all over, ne?

oh, and one more thing,
KYON-KUN, DENWA~~~

hahaha
Old 2009-07-23, 12:51   Link #165
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yoso View Post
nobody ever promised / confirmed a certain amount of episodes for the "Re-airing"
so why is everyone worrying about Sighs being shafted? (or even Disappearance)
let's all wait 'til it's all over, ne?
There was a leak from one or more of the TV stations that were airing Haruhi, saying that there were 28 eps. It disappeared.
Old 2009-07-23, 12:55   Link #166
Mr. Yoso

well if it was never confirmed then it's as good as moot
best thing to do right now is to watch every episode live
that way you still get excited XD
especially around the end! (provided you don't see how many minutes left there is)
Old 2009-07-23, 13:05   Link #167
Dr. Casey

It's interesting how a fair number of people, AnimeSuki and in general, are annoyed by the anti-Endless Eight crowd and describe them as bitching, griping, etc. People on AnimeSuki bitch about everything. We bitch about Shana II having the audacity to focus on the relationships between the main characters instead of Fuzetsu battles (Which tend to be about as exciting as watching Yuki read in Someday in the Rain), we bitch about K-ON not placing enough focus on the music, we bitch about Saki not always properly adhering to the rules of Mahjong, but somehow it's the backlash against Endless Eight that people end up considering obnoxious.

I've been enjoying the Endless Eight arc and I'm probably going to enjoy today's episode as well, but I don't see anything unreasonable in the least about feeling otherwise. It's the same episode five going on six times in a row (Not counting the original iteration, it's too different); if there's ever been a valid excuse for fan backlash, this is it. And unlike some of the previous examples, where people could comment on a whole lot of things but stick to 'wtf this sucks', these episodes are pretty much the same (Minus the minor details which I'm not that interested in), so it's not as though there's a huge wealth of material to discuss. The emotional progression could be an interesting source of conversation...

Yuki Endless Eight 1

Yuki Endless Eight 4

... but that seems to have disappeared with 5, which was closer in mood to the earlier episodes.

Speaking of which, what's the tone of Endless Eight 6 like? Lighter like the odd-numbered episodes, or more dark and sinister and etc. like the second and fourth?
Old 2009-07-23, 13:10   Link #168
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
It's not gonna end till August ends! Yeah, here's one for the Endless Eight till August Twenty Eight theory.

For animation and art quality, I'd put this at 2nd best for the E8 series, right behind the previous. Not much new stuff this episode. The only thing I noticed was the return of KyoAni's trademark rotating electric fan.
I've been following these posts for some time but it seems that the only thing that matters is the animation and art quality...

Is that what's the show's all about now?
Old 2009-07-23, 13:10   Link #169
Roseweave

The thing is at this stage it's just getting more and more unimaginably pointless and wasteful. Though some people might be going LOL TROLL HILARIOUS, people are just loosing interest and importantly like so many other shitty anime, the time and money put into this could be put into something worthwhile.

I'm really starting to get angry not just because of fanboy rage, but because it's so ridiculously wasteful in a time we should really not be.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:12   Link #170
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I've been following these posts for some time but it seems that the only thing that matters is the animation and art quality...

Is that what's the show's all about now?
for me it is as important as the actual story.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:24   Link #171
otacu
Flag forever

Open the poll!
Old 2009-07-23, 13:27   Link #172
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseweave View Post
The thing is at this stage it's just getting more and more unimaginably pointless and wasteful. Though some people might be going LOL TROLL HILARIOUS, people are just loosing interest and importantly like so many other shitty anime, the time and money put into this could be put into something worthwhile.

I'm really starting to get angry not just because of fanboy rage, but because it's so ridiculously wasteful in a time we should really not be.
A theory, if I may.

I have often heard that animation studios/production companies think that otaku have precisely a three year memory. If we take that to be true (that they believe it, not that otaku really do have a three year memory), then a re-airing of a three-year-old anime about to get a sequel is a really good idea. The question then became: What order?

Goodness did that argument last long. But the kicker was this: for the next season, they really wanted Disappearance to be the highlight, and it would be... nowhere special among the planned new episodes. So why not air in chronological order and start adding in stories that fit in that area? Obvious problem: there aren't enough episodes to just 'slot in' and end with Someday in the Rain at the end of a doubled reairing (I think anime brackets are generally purchased in cours). So what to do about that...

Endless Eight.

Oh, genius! We can finish the reairing with a reaired episode (namely, Someday in the Rain), and begin Season Two where that left off.

And thus, the egg that birthed the nerdrage seen here was born.

Thoughts?
Old 2009-07-23, 13:38   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
It's interesting how a fair number of people, AnimeSuki and in general, are annoyed by the anti-Endless Eight crowd and describe them as bitching, griping, etc. People on AnimeSuki bitch about everything. We bitch about Shana II having the audacity to focus on the relationships between the main characters instead of Fuzetsu battles (Which tend to be about as exciting as watching Yuki read in Someday in the Rain), we bitch about K-ON not placing enough focus on the music, we bitch about Saki not always properly adhering to the rules of Mahjong, but somehow it's the backlash against Endless Eight that people end up considering obnoxious.
Not sure who you're referring to specifically, but I'm pretty sure I've personally complained about all those things you've listed and more, so it's not as if "all of a sudden" I'm finding this to be too much. There's nothing wrong at all with expressing disappointment, but it'd sure be swell if people would wise up a bit about the way they express it and demonstrate some critical thinking and objectivity when trying to explain why they do or don't like something. That'd at least make the conversation more pleasant, rather than just having people yell "This Sucks And Everyone Thinks Otherwise Is A Goddarn Fanboy" at the top of their lungs endlessly. (But to be clear, I wasn't referring to you in saying this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I have often heard that animation studios/production companies think that otaku have precisely a three year memory. If we take that to be true (that they believe it, not that otaku really do have a three year memory), then a re-airing of a three-year-old anime about to get a sequel is a really good idea. The question then became: What order?

Goodness did that argument last long. But the kicker was this: for the next season, they really wanted Disappearance to be the highlight, and it would be... nowhere special among the planned new episodes. So why not air in chronological order and start adding in stories that fit in that area? Obvious problem: there aren't enough episodes to just 'slot in' and end with Someday in the Rain at the end of a doubled reairing (I think anime brackets are generally purchased in cours). So what to do about that...

Endless Eight.

Oh, genius! We can finish the reairing with a reaired episode (namely, Someday in the Rain), and begin Season Two where that left off.
I think your theory is extremely reasonable and completely believable, and I think I alluded to something similar in the general thread a little while ago. I've long believed this re-airing was simply a prelude to a second season, and the added episodes are just supposed to be "gap-fillers". In this case, the other gap they needed to fill was the 2-cour timeslot. People get all outraged about this, but I suppose they could have just bought a "18-episode" slot and said "hey, we're only adding 4 new episodes" (or whatever). In that case, no one would have been so mad since they would have known what was going on. But it's just because they've left people in the dark that people rage incessantly about how they were robbed of the second season they were "promised". It's all in how you look at it.

So anyway, yes -- I'll certainly buy that theory, and would bet that we'll see a true second season within a year.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:42   Link #174
Kristen
*Author

So, with this, Kadokawa has succeeded in animating a 45 page short story in more episodes than the entire Melancholy, a full novel.

I'm just watching the total rating for this season plummet. Even if they come up with perfect 10 material for the rest of the season, they've already crapped up 1/2 the season, so it's an instant 5 or lower. >.>
Old 2009-07-23, 13:49   Link #175
Starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
while the subject matter is a bitch
i have to admit that this video is fucking awesome
I swear to God that video gave me a stitch from laughing so much...
Old 2009-07-23, 13:58   Link #176
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
A theory, if I may.

Endless Eight.

And thus, the egg that birthed the nerdrage seen here was born.

Thoughts?

Otaku = Anime nerd (I use neither of these terms derogatorily, I hasten to add - I myself am an anime nerd to a certain extent)

Nerds never forget anything that's related to something that they're interested in. That's one of the key characteristics of nerds - their ability to remember the most mundane details of their favorite shows several years after they last aired.

So... otaku don't have a three-year old memory. The continuing immense popularity of Neon Genesis Evangelion proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If anime studios seriously think that otakus have three-year old memories (especially when it comes to a series as popular as Haruhi Suzumiya) then they have even bigger problems than I thought.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:03   Link #177
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This one ended slightly differently...during the day, rather than at night.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:03   Link #178
Akka

Well, as the episodes repeat themselves with minute variations, as my opinion on them doesn't change a lot :

Impressive work, impressive technical qualities, impressive balls/daringness, and, most of all, impressive waste and boringness.

I can perfectly understand the innovation point of view. I can perfectly understand the narrative attempt "make viewers feel what Yuki feels". I can perfectly understand the artistic challenge "let's make the same episode, but never reuse the same images/angles".
All this, I understand. I can even appreciate.

Though, I have a hard time understanding how anyone can NOT feel that the concepts, as interesting as they can be, have been excessively stretched - beyond the point of rupture, and that was several weeks ago.
That some can appreciate, more power to them - but to find surprising that other do not ? I mean, repeating so many times the same episode, it's perhaps fun/interesting/innovative in theory, but it's just soul-crushingly annoying/boring when you do view it - for a great deal of people at least.

But the real shame is the waste. So much talent, so much work, so much money, wasted on a repeat of the same episode... A pity.
The whole thing feels like a giant /facepalm. The inner serie itself seem to have been relegated in the background, with the main point of this season being the "troll" that Endless Eight has become. Isn't it sad to see that the most fun people seem to have in viewing the (pun intended) endless repetitions, is how much rage it will generate in others ? My common sense says that a serie should be viewed for itself, not for the reactions of the fans.

Anyway, I'm disappointed and sad about the waste. This whole "re-airing" seems to have been a huge commercial stunt, which always leave a bad taste when you just want to see a good show.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:07   Link #179
dr.koljan

Looking at the poll results, it seems most 1's come from people who usually don't vote and only came here to express their rage.

The chart includes Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (number zero) for comparison.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:12   Link #180
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
*snip*

So anyway, yes -- I'll certainly buy that theory, and would bet that we'll see a true second season within a year.
Your writing moves me to tears. It is definitely true (whilst comparing the first airing to the second) that they're trying to blow up all our expectations and speculations, so it's best to have none. Therefore, there is no dissapointment.