AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-09, 19:42   Link #81
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I dont think it is harem anime so I really dont see how you compare welkin as if he was from one. Nor do I think harem leads are prince charming as well... Usually harem leads are kind idiots/losers, average dull poeple, not charming at all.
Old 2009-06-09, 19:58   Link #82
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I dont think it is harem anime so I really dont see how you compare welkin as if he was from one. Nor do I think harem leads are prince charming as well... Usually harem leads are kind idiots/losers, average dull poeple, not charming at all.
I didn't say this was a harem show. -facepalms-

Please read my post again.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:15   Link #83
Darknemo2000

Nope but you compared him to harem character's. You should not put him in the same line to begin with and compare to a non-harem characters if you do not want to be misunderstood.
Old 2009-06-11, 03:30   Link #84
justinstrife

Quote:
Nope but you compared him to harem character's. You should not put him in the same line to begin with and compare to a non-harem characters if you do not want to be misunderstood.
I'm pretty damn clear what I meant. I also mentioned shows that had romantic elements to them in the same sentence, did I not? I was using examples.

I think you and I are destined to butt heads in anime threads.
Old 2009-06-11, 03:32   Link #85
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
What?

Justinstrife did not call Welkin a harem lead, full stop. He/she can compare Welkin to whoever or whatever, and that doesn't mean that Welkin is that. Anyway, justinstrife didn't even compare the two, so what the hell are you on about?
Old 2009-06-11, 11:00   Link #86
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What?

Justinstrife did not call Welkin a harem lead, full stop. He/she can compare Welkin to whoever or whatever, and that doesn't mean that Welkin is that. Anyway, justinstrife didn't even compare the two, so what the hell are you on about?
Thank you Shiroth. You understand what I was getting at.

I find the anime version of Welkin much more of an airhead, than the game version. Maybe it's a marketing reason for why they changed him from a guy who takes the initiative, doesn't hesitate towards battle/war, and willing to help whatever the situation calls for, to the wishy washy guy we have now.

It's just like my dislike of the anime Alicia compared to her anime twin. -facepalms-

It was worth buying a Ps3 and the game just to see the real story.
Old 2009-06-11, 11:18   Link #87
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Thank you Shiroth. You understand what I was getting at.

I find the anime version of Welkin much more of an airhead, than the game version. Maybe it's a marketing reason for why they changed him from a guy who takes the initiative, doesn't hesitate towards battle/war, and willing to help whatever the situation calls for, to the wishy washy guy we have now.

It's just like my dislike of the anime Alicia compared to her anime twin. -facepalms-

It was worth buying a Ps3 and the game just to see the real story.
The apparent difference though for Welkin in the game vs anime I feel is more attributed to how the game, for obvious reasons, focuses more on times surrounding actual battles as opposed to off time like in the anime. Welkin is a bit aloof while not on the battlefield but he comes off as very perceptive and alert and shows signs of good judgement such as when he told Alicia to not pursue after taking Kloden. In the game you see more of that side cause obviously being a game it has to focus on battles pretty often so you see that part of him a lot while compared to the anime you see a lot less of him while off-duty.
Old 2009-06-11, 20:14   Link #88
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
The apparent difference though for Welkin in the game vs anime I feel is more attributed to how the game, for obvious reasons, focuses more on times surrounding actual battles as opposed to off time like in the anime. Welkin is a bit aloof while not on the battlefield but he comes off as very perceptive and alert and shows signs of good judgement such as when he told Alicia to not pursue after taking Kloden. In the game you see more of that side cause obviously being a game it has to focus on battles pretty often so you see that part of him a lot while compared to the anime you see a lot less of him while off-duty.
You still see him quite a bit when not in battle during the game. Do you remember his talk with Alicia in Bruhl about wanting to be a teacher, as well as his reasons for doing so? He's not aloof in the game either. He's extremely level-headed in the game and far more interesting to watch. Not to mention his reactions with Alicia are less comedy and more deeply developed in the game.

I REALLY prefer the game version of Welkin. He stands his ground and doesn't take crap from anyone. How he handled the issue about his sister and his in-experience to the Squad was awesome.

Last edited by justinstrife; 2009-06-12 at 01:07.
Old 2009-06-12, 02:23   Link #89
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What?

When you make a comparison with something you make an implication of the connection even if it was not your intention.

Lets say, for example (just an example) this sentence - I am tired of plain speech pattern that idiotic people use, but Shiroth's speech pattern is better.

Though I am not comparing you to an idiot (and actually saying you are different) you definitely can sense a hint linking you to that since I could have compared you to anyone but choose 'idiotic people'. It is not a direct statement, yet a hidden implication because of the comparison.

It never states directly who you are but the hint is still there because of the comparison. You have to be careful about who you compare with whom because of these implication's. I even had few of points distracted because my professor of the logistics cathedral thought that the comparison implications in my work about French Postmodern philosophy were incorrect even if I was not stating anything directly.

So yeah, you have to be careful when you make comparisons, as to with whom you make them, because those hints can be misunderstood very easily.

if regarding the discussion above - I am with justinstrife in this one. In the Game welkin even off-duty was not as badly airhead as he is in anime. Though, differently from Alicia, I cannot see the point of changing his character.

After all, Tsunderes sell well these days, but airheads...

Well maybe they thought that much more airhead Welkin would suit Alicia's new tsundere personality better?

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-06-12 at 02:39.
Old 2009-06-12, 03:39   Link #90
justinstrife

I think you assumed too far with what I said, and was looking for something to be implied. I was very clear and to the point with what I meant. But enough about that topic.

At least we can agree with the game Welkin and how much better he is compared to his anime counter-part. I LOVED how he responded to Largo and Rosie when they ridiculed him for being green and not following him. He showed strength, far more than he did in the anime. Strength I can relate to, to be honest.
Old 2009-06-12, 04:41   Link #91
Darknemo2000

My main guess of his character change is that Alicia's character, technically grew stronger (being a somewhat tsun-dere) so they decided to make Welkin's character dumber and weaker. If he is dumber - he will piss Alicia better, and we will see tsundere trademark funny expressions, and if he is weaker we will see more of Alicia's tsundere strength.

You know kind of like Shinji and Asuka or Yuuji and Shana. The main lead is weaker to expose the tsundere strength better (though Yuuji becomes a badass later on).

I guess I would not mind it so much if game personalities were not good, but I think game personalities were pretty good so I do not think they should have been changed to begin with (though in Alicia's case, we see them jumping back to more of her original character after episode 7, can't say the same about Welkin so far, though).
Old 2009-06-12, 10:48   Link #92
justinstrife

Quote:
My main guess of his character change is that Alicia's character, technically grew stronger (being a somewhat tsun-dere) so they decided to make Welkin's character dumber and weaker. If he is dumber - he will piss Alicia better, and we will see tsundere trademark funny expressions, and if he is weaker we will see more of Alicia's tsundere strength.

You know kind of like Shinji and Asuka or Yuuji and Shana. The main lead is weaker to expose the tsundere strength better (though Yuuji becomes a badass later on).

I guess I would not mind it so much if game personalities were not good, but I think game personalities were pretty good so I do not think they should have been changed to begin with (though in Alicia's case, we see them jumping back to more of her original character after episode 7, can't say the same about Welkin so far, though).
Makes sense in a twisted and screwed up way.

Alicia is very likable to me in the game but I can't say the same in the anime. Welkin I can see as a leader in the game, against, can't say the same in the anime.

This is why I bought the game. So I could see the real personalities and accomplishments. Nothing sugar-coated, or dumbed down for the markets.
Old 2009-06-12, 16:33   Link #93
Velsy

I wouldnt call welkin dumb. But everyones untitled to a reasonable opinion so meh.

But I knida aggree with the teasing of his sister scene. Would of been nicer if he handled the teasing of his sister more agressivly (how a brother would defend there sister) instead he did it calmly. but tt could of been because he didnt want petty fighting in the squad, as it leads to trouble and bad moral. So he kept calm and addressed it in an apropiate manner. Or he already knew she would get a hard time being of an acient unliked race and prepared for it, which is plausable.

I will watch the scene again soon and observe better.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-06-12, 20:04   Link #94
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I wouldnt call welkin dumb. But everyones untitled to a reasonable opinion so meh.

But I knida aggree with the teasing of his sister scene. Would of been nicer if he handled the teasing of his sister more agressivly (how a brother would defend there sister) instead he did it calmly. but tt could of been because he didnt want petty fighting in the squad, as it leads to trouble and bad moral. So he kept calm and addressed it in an apropiate manner. Or he already knew she would get a hard time being of an acient unliked race and prepared for it, which is plausable.

I will watch the scene again soon and observe better.
I didn't call him dumb. I call the character interactions in the anime dumb. Compared to the game at least. There's far more trust between Welkin and Alicia where I'm at in the game, and I haven't even come close to catching up to the anime yet.
Old 2009-06-12, 22:15   Link #95
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I didn't call him dumb. I call the character interactions in the anime dumb. Compared to the game at least. There's far more trust between Welkin and Alicia where I'm at in the game, and I haven't even come close to catching up to the anime yet.
No you didnt, was someone else.

Probably one of the most funniest parts I can remember from Welkin, is when Alicia asked Welkin to make him put on his shirt. Then hes like, yeah shes right, you'll catch a cold. kekeke

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-06-12, 22:29   Link #96
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
No you didnt, was someone else.

Probably one of the most funniest parts I can remember from Welkin, is when Alicia asked Welkin to make him put on his shirt. Then hes like, yeah shes right, you'll catch a cold. kekeke
haha that's good
Old 2009-06-18, 10:14   Link #97
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Who dared call my man Welk dumb? He's one of the top strategists and is seen to have Jedi like intuitions.

Although he is reletively dense with the women.

PS. I hate Faldio.
Old 2009-06-18, 10:18   Link #98
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

In this case, I'd think dense is actually too little.

Old 2009-06-18, 12:41   Link #99
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

But only a Jedi could tell when there is going to be a snowstorm...
Old 2009-06-18, 16:36   Link #100
Velsy

I've always liked characters who dont show there *true* strength until its needed. Welkin I feel the same way. Call him airhead, dence or whatever, but that just makes him deceptive. Deceptiveness I like

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Closed Thread