AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-28, 06:15   Link #81
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

After watching Ai's arc, I have to say I'm still in the camp that think Haruka still tops. But I'm not saying Ai's was a horrible arc. I found it very enjoyable despite some WTF moments.

In any case...

Haruka
Ai
Sae
Kaoru
Old 2010-10-28, 12:26   Link #82
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Rhioko and Tsukasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
I do not think Rihoko's arc will top Ai's. I think the most interesting thing would be seeing things from her point of view, but that's all. I don't think anything else will really top Ai's arc. Kind of something to wither things down a bit after Ai's amazing arc, and then to get right into Tsukasa's arc which will top Ai's by the end or sooner. I might be wrong about Rihoko's arc though, maybe her arc will be just as good as Ai's, or close....
I must admit to being curious about Rhioko's arc precisely because I am hoping it will give more ... err ... "real" insight into Juinichi as a person (kinda like the Kaoru arc did somewhat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I suspect I'll find Rihoko's arc charming.... and people rave about Tsukasa, but hey, we'll see.
I think so too. The Tsukasa arc in the manga was (as I think someone else mentioned already) a fairly developed one in terms of getting deep into the personality of the heroine. While I enjoyed it I think of the 5 I have been exposed to (4 in the anime and 1 in the manga) Ai is still my favorite. Rhioko is the only unknown factor for me thus far....

Quote:
...I was a big Ai fan from the start before her arc, and her arc of course met above my expectations. I loved her arc and it will remain as my favorite until Tsukasa's arc comes around, which I think will top all. I haven't read the manga or played the game, but I'm pretty sure her story will be good. I've heard a bit about it.
If the manga is any indication I personally am dubious about Tsukasa's arc topping Ai's (and here I am speaking about the characters, not necessarily the skill in presenting the story itself).

For me as it stands right now the only arc I can potentially see surpassing Ai's would be Rhioko's.

Kaoru and Sae

Quote:
....Kaoru's arc comes next with its measured tone of two people who've known each other for ages deciding their bond is more... but then it just kind of cut off or ended in a "whoops we're out of time"....
I agree about the Kaoru arc's ending - wish they had been able to wrap it up in a better way.

Quote:
Poor Sae got royally shafted with her arc... I'm told the source material isn't that deep either but it just seemed to be odd comedy so the tone difference left it short compared to the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
...I mostly agree on Sae being adorable but bland... you need to make an effort to develop shy girls to have them work well as characters and this show didn't.
I agree with both of these statements. I kinda feel like they did not put as much effort into Sae's arc as they could have. A shame, really - I think they could have done better with presenting her.

Haruka

Quote:
Haruka's arc lacked chemistry between her and Junichi. Her arc was fun, sometimes she was a bit too hyper or weird, and I didn't really see chemistry between her and Junichi, but I liked her arc, especially the ending, it was a great ending.
Quote:
As far as the young women themselves.... Haruka is too flighty.....
As for me as well on both accounts. Though I liked the character herself and could understand why she might be that way, I think that personally this kind of behavior is not really my "cup of tea".

Ai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
....Ai actually struck me as pretty interesting: she's a quiet but not shy version of the playful, teasing type. And to top it off, she's the main character's junior, which is rare for the teasing type....
Also agreed as regards Ai ... but there was something about the teasing. With Haruka there was somehow a dimension of her being somewhat clueless and inadvertently "hurting" Juinichi in the process. She was not doing so in a deliberately "nasty" kind of way, though. (Somehow she seemed to have a certain level of ... I don't know what to call it ... immaturity maybe? ... that turned me off. Although I did like the ending of the arc.) Not so with Ai - at least for me it was somehow "clear" (as the viewer, mind you) that she was teasing "in good fun".

At the moment Ai still remains my favorite of the characters presented.
Old 2010-10-28, 18:03   Link #83
aldw

Quote:
If the manga is any indication I personally am dubious about Tsukasa's arc topping Ai's (and here I am speaking about the characters, not necessarily the skill in presenting the story itself).

For me as it stands right now the only arc I can potentially see surpassing Ai's would be Rhioko's.
Tsukasa's arc in the story made me like her even more than my initial impression, but most of the other heroines (besides Haruka) didn't leave much of an impression on me though (not that they aren't all likeable).
Old 2010-10-29, 09:54   Link #84
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If Rihoko's arc continues on the path it's on after the first episode, it could top Haruka's as my favorite arc in the series. That would be pretty wonderful if it happened.
Old 2010-10-29, 10:06   Link #85
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If Rihoko's arc continues on the path it's on after the first episode, it could top Haruka's as my favorite arc in the series. That would be pretty wonderful if it happened.
I agree with you 100%. I'm a huge Haruka fan but if Rihoko's arc continues like this then her arc would certainly defeat Haruka's arc.

I'm still wondering why Sae and Ai didn't get this arc treatment...
Old 2010-10-29, 10:38   Link #86
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
As long as Sae stays away from Junichi, this will be a good arc . Seriously, though, the guy can't control himself when it comes to Sae's boobs. A trait that carries over between arcs.

@GrandChaos: Still kinda peeved about Ai's arc. It's puzzling since she's widely regarded as the most popular character. Even if she doesn't top the poll, she's almost always in the top 2-3. But it's like you said earlier, I think that they didn't want Ai to outshine their mascot.
Old 2010-10-29, 11:28   Link #87
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
@GrandChaos: Still kinda peeved about Ai's arc. It's puzzling since she's widely regarded as the most popular character. Even if she doesn't top the poll, she's almost always in the top 2-3. But it's like you said earlier, I think that they didn't want Ai to outshine their mascot.

They need to double their efforts if they want Tsukasa's arc to beat Rihoko's first episode.

I don't mind if Tsukasa will be the best arc in the series or the true main heroine. I just want consistency and equal opportunity for each heroine. Its not like they are going to need more budget every time they make a good episode. Amagami is not that detailed and doesn't have action scenes. They don't even have to think about new twists to make an arc interesting since they have enough source material from the game. All they need to do is to put them piece by piece in the most logical way and with the best pacing/cinematography.
Old 2010-10-29, 16:51   Link #88
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... just watched the first episode of Rihokko's arc ... looks promising, and as a character she is certainly quite endearingly portrayed. I will wait until all 4 are through though.
Old 2010-10-29, 17:42   Link #89
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Started out with no information of any of the heroines, except the President, I found Haruka's arc most enjoyable and entertaining so far. The other arcs just couldn't get me to stay interested as I watch them...
Old 2010-10-30, 17:10   Link #90
pikachuwei

I agree that Rihoko might have a chance of topping haruka, ep 17 was just too full of lulz to deny it. (but kudos to frisbee throwing haruka inspiring rihoko )

its just as promising, if not more than Ai's arc, i just hope they dont muck it up again D=
Old 2010-11-23, 00:26   Link #91
SageGaiGar
You are Next

I enjoyed Rihoko's arc especially in comparison to Haruka and Sae's arc. Both of which were just groan-inducingly awkward. Junichi at his ecchi or just plain idiotic extreme in both, surprise!

Spoiler for Sae:

Spoiler for Haruka:

Spoiler for Rihoko:

And the moment my favorite arc is tied between Kaoru and Ai. Rihoko is in the middle. Sae and Haruka's are at the bottom.
Old 2010-11-23, 04:00   Link #92
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I agree with the above for the most part. Kaoru and Ai are my two top favorites right now but I get the feeling Tsukasa's gonna show them a run for their money (at least Ai will have trouble, Kaoru remains my favorite hands down).

Spoiler for With regards to Sae:

Spoiler for With regards to Ai:

Spoiler for With regards to Kaoru:

Spoiler for With regards to Rihoko:
Old 2010-11-23, 09:46   Link #93
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Just finished Rihoko's arc...here is the arc review update

1. Haruka - The arc that entertained me the most and had the biggest impact...Its potential has fully materialized and gave birth to the behind-the-knee-kiss which will probably end up as a legend or something...Junichi also put a lot of effort in their relationship unlike in other arcs where he doesn't even have to do the "moves" to make the girl notice him.

2. Kaoru - Well thought story and had the best interaction between the male lead and female lead. Its pretty entertaining but it lost some of its momentum later on...If only they concentrated more on Kaoru's family problems instead of the kids' shuttlecock then maybe she'll be at the top of my list.

3. Sae - Annoying voice? Yes. Annoying narrator? Somewhat. BUT Sae showed something that the other girls have not yet shown...Her personality changes as the story progresses. Yes. Sae is the only character in the series that is not 1 dimensional. Basically, Junichi taught her how to be confident and be more sociable. And I almost forget to mention how moe-riffic her arc is. Its like you will not need to look at something cute for a month after watching her arc.

4 . Ai - After rewatching it for several times...here is my honest opinion...It has too much fillers and scenes unrelated to the story that it threw the pacing away. Ex Pool chase scene. And if you have read the manga you'll know how much potential the writers have wasted. Its like Ai could have her own 12 episode series but no the writers have to screw us with fillers and WTF moments...No I'm not an Ai hater its just that I'm seriously disappointed because of what they did to Ai's arc.

5. Rihoko - A wasted potential. The first episode is probably one of the series' best but after that it went downhill. No romance whatsoever and all we get is a crappy conclusion. Let's just say Rihoko ate her way through her own arc...
Old 2010-11-23, 10:19   Link #94
Nihokon

Haruka>Kaoru>Ai>Rihoko>Sae

Regarding Sae's arc: I'm sorry Narrator-san, no matter how hard you try to narrate the story, you'll never be able to defeat Kyon. And the arc itself was ended like crap, what a disappointment. Regardless, Sae is very cute and has the most character development compared to other heroines.
Old 2010-11-23, 10:47   Link #95
wingman32x

In terms of the arcs, my rankings go:

1: Haruka
2: Kaoru and Ai
4:Rihoko
5:Sae

Rihoko's arc was kind of a letdown for me. I have yet to see her finale, but it sounds like it's nothing much. In any case, I've seen enough of it to know that it won't overtake too many arcs. There just wasn't enough romantic development. If you look at it from a non-romance POV, it's probably the most interesting arc in the series IMO. Not only did we get some fleshing out on their childhood via flashbacks, we also got the interesting subplot(IMO) of Junichi warming up to the idea of joining the tea club next year. So I thought this arc had the most interesting, non romance angles. But this is a romance series, so I can't rank it too high.

In terms of characters, it's just as I expected. Barring something exceptionally good in Ayatsuji's arc that I haven't seen in the manga, my character rankings will be:

1:Ai
2:Haruka
3:Kaoru
4:Ayatsuji
5:Rihoko
6:Sae

Again, that could change if Ayatsuji's anime arc has any surprises. As a manga reader, I'm expecting new content considering that Ai's anime arc is a good deal different from her manga arc. I should also note that Haruka and Kaoru are about even in my books. I like Haruka's eccentric personality a bit better than Kaoru's playfulness, but other than that they're even IMO. Everytime I write my character rankings I keep thinking of putting them both at 2 . It's Kaoru's turn for a manga, so that might change things, too.
Old 2010-11-23, 11:26   Link #96
Gault
inc_mplete

No matter what happens
Tsukasa is somewhat a default Winner to me , I just got this mentality of it just being so

anyway from what I've seen up till now ,

(Ayatsuji is default 1st for me) Kaoru=Haruka > Rihoko > Sae > Ai

I'm finding it funny everyones butthurt about Rihokos arc hahaha
I'm actually happy with it , I'm happy to see Junichi commit to Rihoko through the tea club , it doesn't need to end in a kiss but it would've been nice

anyway , my queen is next up , going to enjoy the rest of the show.. *gets lots of sadistic images of Tsukasa mistreating Junichi* , I gotta stop reading those Doujinshi I bought
Old 2010-11-23, 11:49   Link #97
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Guess it's all coming down to Haruka & Tsukasa for number one spot. I hope it'll be a tough call.
Old 2010-11-23, 14:11   Link #98
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

I wonder if Tsukasa's arc, and even character, will get the same treatment as the previous girls. The arc itself in Precious Diary is not that big, so I'm hoping the original material they create will still focus on her and not the other girls too much.
Old 2010-11-23, 18:12   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairsile View Post
The arc itself in Precious Diary is not that big, so I'm hoping the original material they create will still focus on her and not the other girls too much.
Personally i think there's quite a bit of material, and we'll see some cut out for the adaptation.
Old 2010-11-24, 15:19   Link #100
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Guess it's all coming down to Haruka & Tsukasa for number one spot. I hope it'll be a tough call.
I'm hoping Tsukasa can outshine haruka but who knows or maybe have each girl be number one there own way.
Closed Thread