AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-12, 19:29   Link #261
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
April was when Asuna and Kirito supposedly had their first real conservation (per Murder).
Wait. Aria + Rondo + Concerto doesn't count? Given the number of Ret-cons, and I wonder when Asuna added Kirito to her friend list, where was Asuna during the period of RNR? Surely the story of how Kirito screwed an entire guild by accident must have reached her ears...
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 19:36   Link #262
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Wait. Aria + Rondo + Concerto doesn't count? Given the number of Ret-cons, and I wonder when Asuna added Kirito to her friend list, where was Asuna during the period of RNR? Surely the story of how Kirito screwed an entire guild by accident must have reached her ears...
Aria/Rondo/Concerto is reconning the whole when they meet. Murder would probably be recon later on when the Author finish Progress. As for the Black Cats Guild, the whole Guild was dead, no one besides Kirito knew the details of what happen to it.
Old 2012-07-12, 19:44   Link #263
novalysis

Quote:
Aria/Rondo/Concerto is reconning the whole when they meet. Murder would probably be recon later on when the Author finish Progress. As for the Black Cats Guild, the whole Guild was dead, no one besides Kirito knew the details of what happen to it.
The problem I guess is whether the anime will Ret-con, or do a blind adaptation and therefore resulting in out of place dialogue, and even strange story arcs (if Kirito did knew Asuna well during the events of RNR... ). Adapting SAO has got to be very challenging, because of all those problems with Chronology. Then again, if the author has already completed a full Ret-conning for the SAO Aincrad rewrite, then as quite alot have said, the anime will be a preview of sorts.

Anyway, the date of Asuna meeting Kirito it seems has been revised downwards steadily. From October 2024 (implied in the first volume) to April 2024, then even further back to the end of 2022.
Old 2012-07-12, 19:47   Link #264
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The problem I guess is whether the anime will Ret-con, or do a blind adaptation and therefore resulting in out of place dialogue, and even strange story arcs (if Kirito did knew Asuna well during the events of RNR... ). Adapting SAO has got to be very challenging, because of all those problems with Chronology. Then again, if the author has already completed a full Ret-conning for the SAO Aincrad rewrite, then as quite alot have said, the anime will be a preview of sorts.
i think the author will probably at least consulted and since the anime is starting with Aria i don't think there will be ay issue with the recon.
Old 2012-07-12, 20:02   Link #265
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
i think the author will probably at least consulted and since the anime is starting with Aria i don't think there will be ay issue with the recon.
Yeah, it was said in the interview that he attended almost all of the script meetings. I'm still a little worried, though. x:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:27   Link #266
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmmm.... I recall it was mentioned in Volume 1 that during discussions on how to deal with one level boss, things broke down into two camps, and in the end, to settle things, the camps came on the idea of having their champions - Kirito and Asuna - fight a duel.

According to Asuna, it's during their duel that she realised 1) she loved him, 2) she wanted to kick his ass. XD

Would like to see that duel animated, IIRC it ended in a draw...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:28   Link #267
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
As would I. Didn't Kirito win that duel by reaching for his second sword, but not drawing it? Or am I thinking of something else? x:
Old 2012-07-12, 20:28   Link #268
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Hmmmm.... I recall it was mentioned in Volume 1 that during discussions on how to deal with one level boss, things broke down into two camps, and in the end, to settle things, the camps came on the idea of having their champions - Kirito and Asuna - fight a duel.

According to Asuna, it's during their duel that she realised 1) she loved him, 2) she wanted to kick his ass. XD

don't remember any duel in vol 1 and Aria already handle the lvl1 boss.
Old 2012-07-12, 20:31   Link #269
novalysis

Quote:
It could be retconned to Level 25

I still can't see how the RNR situation developed, considering Rondo (level 2), and Monochrome Concerto (level 3 - 9). There must have been a reason why Asuna and Kirito finally parted ways, and I wonder how the anime is going to handle that, or how they are going to sort out the mess of short stories and Volume 1 together.
Old 2012-07-12, 20:35   Link #270
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
It could be retconned to Level 25

I still can't see how the RNR situation developed, considering Rondo (level 2), and Monochrome Concerto (level 3 - 9). There must have been a reason why Asuna and Kirito finally parted ways, and I wonder how the anime is going to handle that, or how they are going to sort out the mess of short stories and Volume 1 together.
my guess is it had to do with the Beater thing. Kirito probably felt she would be better off not being with him due to the issues of the Test players and normal players,
Old 2012-07-12, 20:35   Link #271
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
As would I. Didn't Kirito win that duel by reaching for his second sword, but not drawing it? Or am I thinking of something else? x:
nope, you're right. Asuna said she fell for the feint because she felt like he was actually capable of dual wielding.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:36   Link #272
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Hm.. and neither do I, frankly. It's why I think we should stop speculating and just trust in the studio and Kawahara, as we're going to become very paranoid (I know I am) if we continue this right up until episode 2 airs. ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
nope, you're right. Asuna said she fell for the feint because she felt like he was actually capable of dual wielding.
Ah, thanks. Man, I'll be so miffed if they don't animate that duel.. (or maybe they'll retcon it to a later point in the story..?)
Old 2012-07-12, 21:05   Link #273
Aesthetic Shampoo

I'm confused as to why they would choose to animate Aria SS in ep 2 when, iirc there was a side story at the end of volume 8 that depicts the events of what happens straight after Kirito leaves Klein in Starting city
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:11   Link #274
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I'm confused as to why they would choose to animate Aria SS in ep 2 when, iirc there was a side story at the end of volume 8 that depicts the events of what happens straight after Kirito leaves Klein in Starting city
I think it's because First Day won't be that impactful, until after Aria (and Rondo and Monocrhome, if animated) at least. If not RNR. Indeed, if First Day shows up, I'm hoping it shows up between RNR and Black Swordsman, because it would pile drive the entire point of RNR home even further, and Black Swordsman would make far more sense. It's more effective story telling, that way.
Old 2012-07-12, 21:12   Link #275
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yyyyyeah, there's no possibility that the duel will be in episode 1 if they really do crucnh it into 1 episode. (and even if they didn't crunch it into 1 episode, since it's the Aria SS, which didn't have the duel....)
Old 2012-07-12, 21:15   Link #276
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Hm.. and neither do I, frankly. It's why I think we should stop speculating and just trust in the studio and Kawahara, as we're going to become very paranoid (I know I am) if we continue this right up until episode 2 airs. ;p

Ah, thanks. Man, I'll be so miffed if they don't animate that duel.. (or maybe they'll retcon it to a later point in the story..?)
Level 25 or 50 seems like good spots..

But the more Asuna x Kirito teasing there are, the harder RNR (Which was IMO one of the most emotional arcs where you really feel Kirito's humanity clearly) is to set up.

In any case, if I remember correctly, the 50th floor occurred soon after RNR. And since RNR is probably the nadir of Kirito's SAO experience, having Asuna come back in an awesome fashion and duelling the hell out of Kirito (for avoiding her, and moping around the past few months,being borderline suicidal, along with the superficial reason behind the duel) sounds rather appealing to me, as a rebound. That's just speculation of course.

But the order I'd like to see is:

Red Nose Reindeer
First Day (The absolute Nadir where being Kirito is suffering holds most true)
Asuna vs Kirito (the start of the rebound)
The Black Swordsman
A Murder case in the Area (and hopefully, a prelude to it)
Warmth of the Heart (and the alluded to meetings between Asuna and Kirito between Warmth and Murder. )

But I guess we'll wait and see. If Aria is 2 episodes, odds are, we won't get ALO (unless SAO get's a second cour), and SAO ends with a cliffhanger.
Old 2012-07-12, 21:25   Link #277
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
That was something Asuna was talking to the fisherman Nishida about. It was never actually shown in-series, but if animated, would be awesome.

Quote:
Level 25 or 50 seems like good spots..

But the more Asuna x Kirito teasing there are, the harder RNR (Which was IMO one of the most emotional arcs where you really feel Kirito's humanity clearly) is to set up.

In any case, if I remember correctly, the 50th floor occurred soon after RNR. And since RNR is probably the nadir of Kirito's SAO experience, having Asuna come back in an awesome fashion and duelling the hell out of Kirito (for avoiding her, and moping around the past few months,being borderline suicidal, along with the superficial reason behind the duel) sounds rather appealing to me, as a rebound. That's just speculation of course.

But the order I'd like to see is:

Red Nose Reindeer
First Day (The absolute Nadir where being Kirito is suffering holds most true)
Asuna vs Kirito (the start of the rebound)
The Black Swordsman
A Murder case in the Area (and hopefully, a prelude to it)
Warmth of the Heart (and the alluded to meetings between Asuna and Kirito between Warmth and Murder. )

But I guess we'll wait and see. If Aria is 2 episodes, odds are, we won't get ALO (unless SAO get's a second cour), and SAO ends with a cliffhanger.
Actually, honestly speaking if you stick to the distilled experience IMO you could cover ALO in 8 eps or so, which leaves 16 eps for SAO total, which seems about right for me (don't forget you'll need one ep for the epilogue).

That said, given what Asuna says, I think A Murder Case would come first, since that's when she first started to develop feelings for Kirito, and then the duelling... it's after those two events that Asuna starts defrosting and becomes less the hardass KoB subleader as in the OP.

I really hope they'll bring off the co-defrosting well. Kirito begins Asuna's defrosting, then after his heart has frozen, Asuna defrosts him.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:44   Link #278
bimbim

Hmm, i got these list of episodes from BT. idk if it's official or not though...

2話「ビーター」 'Beater'
3話「赤鼻のトナカイ」 'Red-nosed Reindeer'
4話「黒の剣士」 'The Black Swordsman'
5話「圏内事件」 'Murder Case in the Area'

Good episode order IMO. Murder Case is really needed since it's packed with asuna x kirito relationship before the time skip..

Last edited by bimbim; 2012-07-12 at 22:18.
bimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:47   Link #279
novalysis

Quote:

That said, given what Asuna says, I think A Murder Case would come first, since that's when she first started to develop feelings for Kirito, and then the duelling... it's after those two events that Asuna starts defrosting and becomes less the hardass KoB subleader as in the OP.

I really hope they'll bring off the co-defrosting well. Kirito begins Asuna's defrosting, then after his heart has frozen, Asuna defrosts him.
Well, originally the duel was supposed to happen in the spot Aria Retconned over, right?

In any case, I got the impression that Asuna was already partially de-frosted by the time of Murder.

For me, I guess my preference for seeing the duel (if it happened first) is because it seems to make more sense as a seminal rebounding event, after Red Nose Reindeer.

Anyway, if we take Aria, Rondo and Monochrome as canon, then I'd argue that the defrosting took place in stages.

In ARM, Asuna is defrosted slightly, so she can speak to Kirito on an amicable basis. More significantly, Kirito guides her out of her suicidal state of mind we see in Aria.

In RNR, Kirito is frozen solid by the trauma of the events of RNR.

The impression I got from the beginning of Murder was that both Asuna and Kirito were on a highly amicable basis. There's no way the opening exchanges of Murder could occur with Asuna still frozen.

More likely, I think it's Kirito who needed more healing than Asuna ever did.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-07-12 at 22:00.
Old 2012-07-12, 21:50   Link #280
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbim View Post
Hmm, i got these list of episodes from BT. idk if it's official or not though...

Good episode order IMO. Murder Case is really needed since it's packed with asuna x kirito relationship before the time skip..
Ah well. So no Rondo or Monochrome then. Shame.

I guess we'd not be seeing the Asuna vs Kirito duel too.

But it's a fair chronological order, though I'd suspect alot would be complaining about the time-skips, and the fact they are rushing. Even if LN readers know otherwise, and understands that they aren't likely to risk animating Rondo or Monochrome, if the author hasn't fully written them out yet.