AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-05, 01:54   Link #381
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Man, you have to back-read to know them: software incompatibilities (including games developed for and up to DirectX 9.0c), and less driver and anti-virus support.
Well, it's a new operating system. There are bound to be third-party hardware/software that have not been updated to work with it yet. Anyway, I just asked because I thought there was something specific to Windows 8 outside of the fact that it's new.
Quote:
I don't want to get something that doesn't address what the consumer actually needs until they're fulfilled.
Let's try not to group everyone into one group. If it doesn't fit your needs yet, so be it, but I'm pretty sure it fits the needs of others, including mine, just fine.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 02:04   Link #382
sa547
*Author

True, but only if everyone else could afford touch-screen monitors and touch-sensitive peripherals.
Old 2012-11-05, 02:09   Link #383
monster

I have neither of those.
Old 2012-11-05, 02:24   Link #384
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

And neither does Hatsune Miku.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 21:11   Link #385
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

So i decided to send Leadtek an email inquiring about my Winfast TV 2000 xp tv tuner and its incompatibilities with windows 8 and I got this reply:

Quote:
Dear customer!

Thanks for your contact.
Unfortunately, the chipset of it has already phased out.
So it can’t support to Windows 8.
Sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you.
Best regards.
Leadtek Service, PCBU, Leadtek Research Inc.
TEL: +886 (0)2 8226 5800
FAX: +886 (0)2 8226 5801
18F, 166, Chien Yi Road, Chung Ho City,
Taipei County, Taiwan (235), R. O. C.

Certified under ISO-9001. We make Dreams a Reality !!! Scoll
Dear customer!

Thanks for your contact.
Unfortunately, the chipset of it has already phased out.
So it can’t support to Windows 8.
Sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you.
Best regards.

-----Original Message-----
To: Leadtek Service
Subject: Winfast PVR 2000 XP & Drivers on Win 8 do not work.

Hello, is there way to get my winfast TV 2000 xp tv tuner card to work with windows 8? There are no windows 8 drivers for it either.

Please Respond.

Thank you.
Leadtek's HQ is located in Taiwan so I guess the there is a communication barrier here. Anyone care to help me interpreter this response? Have they discontinued support for this TV tuner model?
Old 2012-11-07, 22:30   Link #386
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Have they discontinued support for this TV tuner model?
That seems to be the case, based on what you posted.
Old 2012-11-07, 23:10   Link #387
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, it sounds like the circuits on the card (the chip set) are considered obsolete and no longer supported.

And into the bin of history it goes (I regularly take equipment to the recycling electronics center ... memory cards, mother boards, all no longer supported or the connectors have been phased out, etc)
Old 2012-11-07, 23:27   Link #388
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

It is the first time I have had a piece of hardware that is no longer supported by windows. I can't believe I am supposed to throw the tv tuner in the trash. The card work perfectly fine in win 7.
Old 2012-11-07, 23:42   Link #389
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I've cursed a few times on the topic. However, I'd say donate it to a recycling center, "student geeks" organizations, kid's museum, or charities/churches/etc who might be able to use it with earlier windows or linux.

Cards usually have rare metals or toxic substances so just throwing it in the trash isn't a great idea Many jurisdictions actually have laws against that solution.
Old 2012-11-08, 02:58   Link #390
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I installed Windows 8 on another HD and it now it detects the driver under device manager. But still neither the tv tuner application or windows media center seem to be working. So I went ahead and sent the guy another email. Here is what I got:

Quote:
Dear Sir!

The TV2000 XP Expert can support to Windows 7.
But unfortunately, we can’t check whether the TV2000 XP Expert would support to Windows 8.
We will try to develop the driver.
But it doesn’t support the non-hardware MPEG-II or can’t transfer audio by PCI TV tuner card due to Microsoft Media Center Edition limitations.

Thank you.
Best regards.
TEL: +886 (0)2 8226 5800
FAX: +886 (0)2 8226 5801
18F, 166, Chien Yi Road, Chung Ho City,
Taipei County, Taiwan (235), R. O. C.

Certified under ISO-9001. We make Dreams a Reality !!! Scoll
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:19 PM
To: Scoll 李昱儀
Subject: RE: Winfast PVR 2000 XP & Drivers on Win 8 do not work.

I just want to be sure that this tuner is no longer supported in windows 8:

WinFast TV2000 XP Expert (FM1236MK3)

Driver date: 10/21/2009

Driver Version: 6.0.109.7002

Windows 8 detects this driver and it says it is working correctly, but neither windows media center or Winfast PVR detect the TV tuner.

Is there any solution? Or have you discontinued support.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:01   Link #391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That makes me wonder about the Win8 Microsoft Media Center's DRM restriction issues, but I've done no research on that subtopic.
Old 2012-11-10, 21:04   Link #392
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Thumbs down Windows 8 includes ads in default apps

Yes, Microsoft was not only braindead enough to force that butt-ugly Metro touchscreen interface on the desktop, even though the amount of people actually having touchscreens is in the lower one-digit range.
Let's not mention the crippled desktop either, which intentionally had the start menu removed, so you're forced to use that abysmal Metro to launch apps. Or that all apps launched by Metro run maximised now, if you want it or not.
Let's also not mention all the other stuff that MS changed arbitrarily, and which makes Windows 8 an even much bigger pain in the arse to use than the above already does.

No, MS did even more: They are including ads in an OS that you were stupid enough to pay good money for. Ok, if you bought Windows 8, you're already an extreme masochist, but still... (unless you just bought a new laptop or pre-built PC and were *forced* to buy it along with it.)

Now the "Shopping lens" suggestions in the new Ubuntu Unity already proved controversial, but they're quite unintrusive, and you can easily disable or even uninstall it (or even better, use Kde instead of stupid Gnome in the first place).

Not so with Windows 8. There's no way to disable the ads - after all, MS wants to make lots of $$$ off you by selling space in your apps to advertising companies. The ads are also *way* more intrusive than what the shopping lens does, taking up ample space. Yes, I know that no one asked you if you want ads in your apps, but when did MS ever ask you if you want something or not? ... Exactly.

A few examples:

"Oh, going to visit the stock exchange today? Be sure to shave yourself properly before, using the new Braun 3-in-1 full size shaver!"

"Oh no, just look at that weather, and what it does to your hair. Use the new Pantene shampoo now to erase the damage!"

Also, take a look on how you have a black ad on a very light background and a white ad on a dark background, to make sure the ad jumps at you the instant you open the app. After all, it's the most important part of the app now (for MS, at least).

Finally, there's still another thing you should be concerned about - tracking. There's a very good chance that MS will be tracking what ads you click and then seel those profiles to the ad companies as well. From the article: (source below)

"We can't talk about the inclusion of ads and not mention the "T" word: tracking. I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not Microsoft's tracking the ads you are clicking on, but if that is indeed the case, we'll find out soon enough. Unlike Windows 7 and earlier, your entire Windows 8 account can be tied to an e-mail account, so it would be rather easy for Microsoft to track things on a personal level - much like how Google does with its search engine, e-mail and so forth. This alone gives good reason to be concerned."

All that makes Windows 8 even more "fun" to use than it already is XD
Wouldn't it be about time to look for an alternative?

Source: http://hothardware.com/News/Microsof...n-Advertising/
Old 2012-11-10, 21:17   Link #393
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Not so with Windows 8. There's no way to disable the ads
The ads being there are up to the developers making the apps. If you don't want to see an ad within an app, either use an equivalent app that has no ad or give your feedback to the app developer.
Quote:
The ads are also *way* more intrusive than what the shopping lens does, taking up ample space.

Also, take a look on how you have a black ad on a very light background and a white ad on a dark background, to make sure the ad jumps at you the instant you open the app.
You have to scroll all the way to the right to see the ad. I don't see how that can be more intrusive than an ad appearing as part of your search result. It certainly should not be appearing the instant you open an app unless there's something wrong with some settings or the app just doesn't have enough to offer.
Quote:
Finally, there's still another thing you should be concerned about - tracking. There's a very good chance that MS will be tracking what ads you click and then seel those profiles to the ad companies as well.
Then don't click on the ads. If you click on the ads, that usually means you're interested in their product/service. So why wouldn't you want them to know that you're interested in their offering?
Old 2012-11-10, 21:25   Link #394
sa547
*Author

About the only advertising I saw in my PC -- when I was then running XP -- came from Yahoo Messenger.

This thread ought to be in the tech section, inside the Win8 thread.

Ever since I installed Win7 in my new PC I had no stability problems other than periodic cleanup and defrag maintenance routines, so I'll stick around with it.
Old 2012-11-10, 21:38   Link #395
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

There's something a few friends and I have agreed on for a while now, and it's this:

Microsoft's operating systems alternate between being good to being downright awful.

Following that pattern, Windows 8 was bound to be bad, and look. Windows ME was awful. Windows XP was awesome. Windows Vista was a breeding grounds for trouble, and Windows 7 (what I'm using now) seems to be a little overloaded with visual flair, but is quite reliable so far. I'm expecting whatever comes after this to be good.
Old 2012-11-10, 21:56   Link #396
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
LMAO, now they have made an OS that can turn a $3000 into a $30 smartphone... good job MS! always in forefront of innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
There's something a few friends and I have agreed on for a while now, and it's this:

Microsoft's operating systems alternate between being good to being downright awful.
Your friend is right

1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 -> no clue
3.1 -> OKish, worse the MacOS, and way inferior to NeXTSTEP
95 -> awful
98 -> OKish
Me -> awful
XP -> OKish
vista -> worst ever
7 -> OKish
8 -> probably worse the vista

Unless one needs to run some closed source stupid software, he is better of with any version of linux, or if he is too lazy and can spend an extra buck MacOS.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:06   Link #397
Alchemist007
*Author

...I don't think you used ME a lot if you think it's better than Vista
Old 2012-11-10, 22:09   Link #398
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

To be fair, 95 was revolutionary for its time and XP was the best operating system I ever used, but the rest is quite accurate (P.S. it's hard to tell if you dislike Vista or 8 more with your wording).

Just took a better look at Windows 8, and it looks like a kiddy playground that wants to be like its AppleOS daddy. Seriously, how about making an interface that's easy and reliable to use instead of shoving so much crap up its bum it has to live in the bathroom?
Old 2012-11-10, 22:19   Link #399
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Microsoft windows will become like "the dog that wanted to eat both cakes" (local lingo), they want to eat into the new smartphone and tablet OS cake while at the same time keeping the desktop/laptop OS market. In a few years they will have none, having lost to Android/iOS on one side and to ubuntu/OSX on the other. Mark my words, we will have Windows 9 in a year time to try to cover for the Windows 8 fiasco an Windows X a year later to cover for both of them (since the new windows strategy i releasing a new operative system instead of service packs).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:28   Link #400
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Mark my words, we will have Windows 9 in a year time to try to cover for the Windows 8 fiasco an Windows X a year later to cover for both of them (since the new windows strategy i releasing a new operative system instead of service packs).
Windows has almost always had 1-3 years between version releases. The long period between XP and Vista is unusual.