AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-22, 06:58   Link #221
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I've said it before and I will say it again... Tsundere is a representation of something called Borderline Personality Disorder. It is not very fun to have to put up with someone with those behavioral features.

These folks can be very self-destructive and toxic to those around them.
There is nothing cute about watching your spouse, significant other, or child implode in front of you with such a pattern of behavior.
Old 2013-03-22, 13:58   Link #222
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again... Tsundere is a representation of something called Borderline Personality Disorder. It is not very fun to have to put up with someone with those behavioral features.

These folks can be very self-destructive and toxic to those around them.
There is nothing cute about watching your spouse, significant other, or child implode in front of you with such a pattern of behavior.
So you're saying that I'm like that? Somehow my friends don't dislike me and we get along really good,
Old 2013-03-22, 14:44   Link #223
Ridwan

My Love-Shy Radar is tingling, and I don't know why !
Old 2013-03-22, 15:19   Link #224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

People with extremely negative feelings about the archetype tend to be focused on the "2-d" extreme end of simplification. They also associate the animated violence with reality instead of a metaphor for the character's frustration.

One example (which will probably get me knocked to the stars): I found the animated version of Louise intolerable whereas the source version is a much more interesting and compelling character. The animators seem to have scraped off everything that made her interesting in the books. OTOH, the animated Taiga (still simplified) came closer to the book Taiga, also a much more interesting character. I tend to point a critical finger at the writing skills of the animation team on these matters.

As an contrary example showing that it isn't just the tsundere that has this problem, I find the overly-motherly types and the aristocratic haughty types make me gag but I also know there's a spectrum of tolerable and even lovable examples of each.
Old 2013-03-23, 02:49   Link #225
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

W-Well, I'm more close to the novel-Louise than to the anime-Louise.
Old 2013-03-23, 03:01   Link #226
Ridwan

^Which means you're an interesting person, aye !
Old 2013-03-23, 03:09   Link #227
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
People with extremely negative feelings about the archetype tend to be focused on the "2-d" extreme end of simplification. They also associate the animated violence with reality instead of a metaphor for the character's frustration.

One example (which will probably get me knocked to the stars): I found the animated version of Louise intolerable whereas the source version is a much more interesting and compelling character. The animators seem to have scraped off everything that made her interesting in the books. OTOH, the animated Taiga (still simplified) came closer to the book Taiga, also a much more interesting character. I tend to point a critical finger at the writing skills of the animation team on these matters.

As an contrary example showing that it isn't just the tsundere that has this problem, I find the overly-motherly types and the aristocratic haughty types make me gag but I also know there's a spectrum of tolerable and even lovable examples of each.
I can see that. Anime does tend to bring out the worst in characters.

When I think of a more realistic tsundere, and a KugiRie example no less, I think of Hidan no Aria. Call me a broken record for having said this before, but it's different this time I swear. It amazes me that writers AND viewers don't sympathize with this obvious super-tsundere flaw. When you're that rude and insulting minus the audience perspective, your reaction isn't, "Aw, what a cute girl. I totally want to date her;" but rather, "If I were witness to your potential demise and I could help save your life, I would have to seriously think about whether or not I want to."

It's one thing to be that strong-willed character who is a bit abrasive but can have their "soft" moments. It's another thing to spend your screentime being needy or dependent and yet rude and insulting. This is somewhat clear when you consider the fact that the "does this exist in the real world?" question has to be asked at all.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:49   Link #228
Ridwan

I-it's not like I want to bump this thread or anything. I just want to see more funny posts and less people taking themselves too seriously. Got it, b-bakas ?!
Old 2013-03-24, 07:15   Link #229
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
People here gone tsundere... I'll never visit this place again... well..... maybe just for today...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 08:10   Link #230
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
^This

My main concern about shows with tsundere heroines is the shows' tendency to emphasize their bitchiness over anything else that you can't help but despise them. And i find it troublematic that they think the best way to pad out their series is to continue the "panchira, smack, panchira, smack" well beyond the point of being over-played. Of course, the girl's always gotta be in the right and can practically get away with her crime because she's soooo damn cute that way :rolls eyes:
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 23:06   Link #231
Nintendo Maniac 64

...uh, did I miss anything important? I wasn't getting email notification of this topic for some reason and therefore I thought it was dead...
Old 2013-04-22, 13:17   Link #232
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
...uh, did I miss anything important? I wasn't getting email notification of this topic for some reason and therefore I thought it was dead...
Not much more than you can see here. ;p
Old 2013-04-22, 21:43   Link #233
Ridwan

This thread is 1 part Louise, 9 parts pointless exaggeration.
Old 2013-04-23, 07:50   Link #234
Key Board
Carbon

Yes, it does exist. Topic creator

it's called being a 10~12 year old boy

it's the phase when you are interested in girls, but at the same time you're so worried about looking uncool to your fellow male friends

"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 22:10   Link #235
Toni-Cipriani

Oh yes, I noticed it in High school lol

Girls who would go from being overly aggressive and forceful had to be in charge of all the group work and bossed everyone around to get it done their way

Yet when you talk to some of them deep down their just really insecure and posessive. Super fragile
Turns out one liked me, and bossing me around was her way of showing that
Old 2013-04-25, 16:33   Link #236
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
There are certainly girls in real life who exhibit certain "tsundere" traits but they are definitely much milder than displayed in anime.

What puzzles me is if most people here say they wouldn't like a real-life tsundere, why would they like one in anime? I mean, would they enjoy being treated like the protagonist of a romance anime.

In case it's not clear yet, I don't like tsunderes in real life and I hate them even more in anime (since those qualities that make them tsundere are exaggerated to the extreme).
You'd be surprised how many people actually like Tsundres in anime *and* in real life. I'm in the same boat as you, I can't for the life of me understand why and how a Tsundre is appealing. Hell, I know of one Anime based web admin that constantly reminds his readers that Tsundres are a huge turn-on for him. Personally I can't stand them, in fact more often than not I feel like punching their lights out. For me, an abusive relationship is an abusive relationship no matter who the person is or their gender. I'm an "old school" romantic man at heart and I believe in dedicated, loving, nurturing, and non-abusive relationships. I suppose some people find this boring so they incorporate the stereotypical "Hot tempered" girlfriend.

As for the original topic, whether a Tsundre can exist in real life......well, I don't know about right now (at least in the west) but back when I was in school you'd be hard pressed to find a girl with an abusive mindset. And even then, they were nowhere near as bad as the stereotypical Tsundre. And as for Japan, from what I have read (and people's supposed testimony of their time in Japan) finding an aggressive girl there is actually rare. Even more so than in the West (and in the west there really aren't that many aggressive women), but seeing as how popular Tsundres have gotten in Japan that might change.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 22:28   Link #237
Nintendo Maniac 64

Tsundere doesn't have to be abusive. Me thinks you've been watching too much anime and not reading enough visual novels.

To put it another way, to quote tvtropes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ImageLinks/Tsundere
'Light Novel type' (Shana Clone)

'Visual Novel type' Hitagi Senjougahara (bottom left corner) is not a visual novel character but a light novel character.
Old 2013-04-25, 23:07   Link #238
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
Tsundere doesn't have to be abusive. Me thinks you've been watching too much anime and not reading enough visual novels.

To put it another way, to quote tvtropes:
Even in the anime series, the types vary ... the complexity of the character greatly depends on the writing skills to portray *why* a complicated character might be attractive.
Old 2013-11-11, 00:27   Link #239
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
I guess since I typed all this up in IRC yesterday...might as well put it up here, in this thread:

http://pastebin.com/RwxS0fDL

So yes, that was my experience with a real life tsundere like, 5 years ago.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-11, 16:12   Link #240
Bahriel

edit: aaand more thread necromancy on this one... misread the date and year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoronicPyramidiot View Post
In the zodiac, there is sign called "Cancer" which has some traits of a Tsundere.
They have a protective shell but they are really soft and sensitive in the inside.
Just wanted to let you know^^"
I actually like some Tsunderes in animes if they are not too extreme. People like Sana from Kodocha or Misaki from Kaichou wa Maid-sama are okay.
I'm a cancerian myself, if i were to compare myself to any animal out there it would probably be either a hedgehog or an armadillo.

after reading through this thread, I'd essentially say good descriptions of RL tsunderes range from armdillo: hard shell softer interior,
over hedgehog: prickly, but again with a soft inner side,
to full blown volcanoes: these are the ones who haven't yet met their special person(s) or those where the schism between their ideal self, and the person they find themselve sinterested in si simply too great for them to handle on their own.

and of course everything in between.

After reading all this I think I might myself have some traits of the tsundere, though i have learned to suppress them most of the time, when i was teenager things were different, but that's a little ove ra decade ago.

If i were to give a piece of advice to the younger tsunderes out there... never try to deny something that is such a large part of who you are, doing so may result in torment you can hardly imagine.
that really goes for anything in your personality makeup, but some things leave harsher marks than others.

---

I have a friend whose waifu is a tsundere, or at least so he claims.

I invited them over for dinner once... won't ever do so again, she's a a mean, vindictive little pot of sarcasm, demeaning innuendo and rage.

but he loves her to bits, and swears she's the cutest little kitten when they're together, her, their girl and him.

I hang out with him from time to time, but not as often as i'd like to, just not possible, afterall he's got the whole white picket fence thing going for him as well.

---

that said... I absolutely love the tsundere archetype, and would like to meet a milder one myself, the way he talks about their relationship, the rare time we have a chance to... it sounds very appealing, sure there's fire and brimstone when they're with others, and he catches a lot of it himself (he has admitted that he does so on purpose, to lessen the impact in the eyes of others), but he genuinely seems to care for her, and even after being together for almost a decade, still behaves like a lovestruck idiot whenever he speaks of her.

that's magic of it's own kind, right there, not many people i've met behave that way about their partner after being together for that long.

tl;dr, tsunderes are very real, can vary both in how extreme they are, and how they express their tsuntsun, a friend is married to one, and loves her completely.
Hearing him talk, has pretty much made me want to meet one as well, though not as extreme as his wife.

Last edited by Bahriel; 2015-03-11 at 17:36. Reason: thread necromancy, oops
Bahriel is offline   Reply With Quote