AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-07-10, 18:05   Link #1
Doc Astaroth

I'm a big fan of tabletop or better said, Pen&Paper RPGs. Not necessarily Dungeon & Dragons, my favourite system right now is the Dresden Files RPG by Evil Hat Production.

Recently, Evil Hat Production hold a contest in which the fans should try to write a statblock for the main character of the Series, Harry Dresden.

One of the examples can you see here.

As I saw this, I thought: "Couldn't you do this with To Aru Majutsu character, too?"

So, I sat down and tried to make a statblock for Touma Kamijou according to the rules of Dresden Files RPG.

This is the result:

Spoiler:

(Thanks for Chaos2Frozen and his suggestions on the Aspects)

Sorry, I know, this is really long and too much details, but I really just want to show it as an example. You don't have to use the Dresden Files RPG or the FATE system for your ideas and suggestion!

I hope, I'm not the only Pen&Paper-RPG-geek here. ^^;

Last edited by Doc Astaroth; 2013-07-15 at 03:11.
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 00:28   Link #2
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Lol, sorry for just noticing this But I also hope you didn't over look my reply as well

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...46#post4743546
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 03:11   Link #3
Doc Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, sorry for just noticing this But I also hope you didn't over look my reply as well

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...46#post4743546
No I didn't and I already have tried to put your suggestions into it.

Sorry, I didn't reply to you, that was very egoistical.
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 20:30   Link #4
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Established RPGS?

Hmm, Mage The Ascension is the most obvious choice.

As is the White Wolf Superhero RPG Abberant.
Old 2014-07-08, 23:51   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

While not specifically for table-top, I have been messing around with the idea of a JRPG with this series and I needed a place to post some ideas. It's not going to be easy, but Hell if South Park could do it, why not us?

Setting:
Lets not get too ambitious here, Academy City alone would be more than enough. 23 districts each with their own functionality and landmarks. Revisiting famous fighting grounds would be pretty cool, like destroyed cloning facility or Endymion... Or if you like, try sneaking into the [Garden].

Mechanics:
Turn-based or Real-time but with pause-and-play. Personally I like the Grandia system where characters can move around which leads to more strategic options than the traditional attack back and fore. "Command Points" can substitute a 'mana' meter since the characters all don't rely on a common in-game resource for their abilities.

Character Customization:
Now this is the hard part- I mentioned the South Park RPG earlier and just like that game, I think it's better to have a customizable OC protagonist instead of playing in the shoes of a canon Protagonist. There is something fulfilling when you, your character, fight along side characters from the series making you part of the crew. The hard part is covering all the grounds, but at the same time limiting yourself to not get carried away because lets face it, it's going to be super hard to create content around "Super Evil genius from cyborg Kihara piloting a giant mecha".

1. Faction:

Judgement for science side, Necessarius for magic side. I know for the hardcore readers these won't be the popular choices, but looking at the broader picture it's an easy entrance for all fans, and it's pretty straight forward from a narrative perspective. People from both factions have an excuse to be poking around whatever incident that might occur in the City, and there are already well establish canon characters to interact with and tons of information regarding their inner workings. So both of them would make a good basis for the player as oppose to say Gremlin, Annihilatus, Freshmen, Raven etc.

2. Class:

The nature of the series makes it hard to set up classes in this sense. Note that while I refer to this part as 'class', it might be more accurate to think of it as 'race'. For example, Science side we could have something like "Normal Humans", "Espers (Lv3-4)" or "Cyborgs", which each of them having different abilities and specialties like firearms, technology, powers etc. Magic side I'm not entirely sure and so far I came up with "Magicians", "Knights" or "Summoners". I would need some suggestions for this one.

3. Abilities:

This one is WAY harder. Espers alone can be fire, water, wind, earth, electricity, ice, specific metal, telepathy, telekinesis, teleport, mind control, X-ray vision or even more exotic but they can't be more than one. Don't get me started on Magicians with Christianity, Jewish, Buddhism, Shinto, Hinduism, Norse, Greek, Roman, Aztec etc.

Clearly we have to leave some on the chopping board and agree to certain common points. Like say elemental-wise both Magicians and Espers can do the four elements, and while Magicians can technically do more, we should limit them to one only as their specialty like Stiyl and his girls.

4. Gears:

Again, following South Park, I say no restriction on weapons. A magician can use a taser just as an Esper can wield a katana. Also, no restriction on clothes either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's what I have for now, I welcome any suggestions you guys might have ^_^
Old 2014-07-09, 00:35   Link #6
rubix22
On Cleaning Duty

Not an RPG, and not really tabletop, but I've got an idea for a game. A To aru Majutsu no Index Card Game where most of the cards are primarily Index cards. And by that I mean:

Spoiler for :

The rules:

Spoiler for :
Old 2014-07-10, 08:14   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Update on the Class status: For streamlining purposes I was thinking of making the Science character both have Esper and cyborg skills. That way they aren't locked into a choice and still have the option to roleplay as any of the three if they choose to do so by focusing on which skills to develop. At first I was thinking of a "talent tree" set up like in WoW with one for guns, Esper abilities, and cybernatics. But then it feels awkward because they would have to also pick an Esper ability specifically as per required of the canon story and so that means one of those trees would have to be changable while the others remain the same.

So then I recalled another game that required people to choose a specific power that would stick with their characters throughout the game- City of Heroes. So going back to a class system, the players can choose between these Esper abilities:

1. Electric Master
2. Pyrokinesis
3. Hydro Hand
4. Aero Hand
5. Teleport
6. Nitrogen
7. Microwave
8. Soundwave
(Open to Suggestions)

Academy City Technologies would become craft-able items rather than it's own skill set.

And weapons would be stole by this guy:

And cyborg upgrades would be like this guy, who "never asked for it":

Old 2014-07-12, 01:07   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Updates: It just occurred to me that if I include something like the ability to control paper, people would flock towards it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Necessarius Character Classes, instead of categorizing them into a specific power like with Espers, I decided to revert to a traditional RPG vocation to reflex a magician's flexibly in power but inflexibility in style. I suppose on hindsight, a strong enough Esper could be inflexible in power but flexible in style.

1) Witch Hunter:

- Base off Stiyl and Oriana.
- A hunter-trapper sort of class that uses runes/symbols paper with tracking and evading skills.

2) Executioner:

- Base off Kanzaki and Sasha.
- A brutal fighter class that uses magic melee weapons or enhancing physical strength.

3) Golem Master

- Base of Sherry and Freya.
- A summoner class that... Well, summons inanimate construct to fight for them.

4) Amakusa Practitioner

- Base of the entire Amakusa church.
- A saboteur-rogue class that specializes in infiltration and group fighting.

And that's what I've been able to sort out so far, I want to include other religion for variety sake but haven't figured out how to make them unique.

5) Onmyouji(?)
6) Buddhist(?)
7) Hindu(?)
8) Norse(?)
9) Greek(?)

The counterparts to Academy City's craftable items would be Alchemy potions or spiritual devices.

Weapons would be sold by this guy:

I was thinking what to make as the magic counter part for Cybernetic upgrades, what do they have that sacrifices your body parts for power? The answer is a Grimoire-- So the magic character would have a tiny bit of a Grimoire fused into it for plotz:

Don't upgrade it too much, lest you become--

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-07-16, 23:37   Link #9
Rava

I kind of thought you could sort the Magicians this way:

-> Main Theme
This would be what they base all of their magic on. Some are easy, like Stiyl and Fire, or Sherry and Ellis (Golem). Others would be more of a pain, like Kanzaki, although I think her theme would still be the same as the other Amakusa. (And I want to say their theme is Subsuming, since they incorporate anything in their magic.)

-> Focus Requirement
This would be if a specific item is tied to the theme as a requirement to function correctly. For example, Stiyl and his Rune cards, Sherry with her chalk, or Oriana with her book tag pages. If their magic requires one, it's generally more powerful than similar magic that doesn't. Specific magic tied to specific items (like Nanasen) don't count, because that represents trained magic that anyone trained in it can do.

-> Training
Characters who practice specific combination of themes and focii are trained in a specific style (Necessarius, Amakusa, Onmyouji, etc). People who don't are self-taught. Each is open to whatever benefits and drawbacks are needed.

For example, Kanzaki uses a Subsuming theme in her magic, and is thus automatically an Amakusa. This gives her access to some Amakusa only magic, like Nanasen and their Map magic, and combat-related magic. She just happens to have also have a bonus characteristic of being a Saint, which is what's giving her that bruiser quality the others lack.

On the other hand, Oriana Thomson is considered self-trained with a theme of Originality. Her focus item is her self-made book tag grimoires. Since she's self trained, her benefit is that her magic is unique and not easily countered. On the down side, she doesn't get access to magics that someone trained in a style (Shinto, Necessarius, etc) would be able to get.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-17, 06:55   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Yup, I've thought about that, and it pretty much describes Magic--> Pick a Fuel type, and pick an Engine, and pick a story to base it from, use a device to focus.

Magic is very versatile and open to a lot of customization which is fine for a story, but for a game, especially with one that is quite asymmetrical, it doesn't make good design to have one faction to have that much customization options while the other group, the espers, only have "Pick one power".

The solution, is to have the Espers be as customizable as the magicians with similar choices, which now that I think about it, we already have a number of Espers that uses weapons, items along with their powers. Kuroko has her needles, Awaki has her flashlight, Mugino has her cards.
Old 2014-07-17, 12:03   Link #11
Rava

Well, the Esper hyperspecialization I feel is a little deceptive. I mean sure, you still pick an element or theme (like paper), but I'm pretty sure you can categorize their abilities with "Direct Attack" and "Indirect Attack" here, and sometimes a Signature attack of some kind.

For example:

Mikoto-
Direct Attack: Electrical/Lightning Strike
Indirect Attack: Iron Sand
Signature Attack: Railgun (uses ammo)

Kuroko-
Direct Attack: Teleport (Touch range only)
Indirect Attack: Object Movement
Signature Attack: Needle Pin (uses ammo)

This is where "Direct Attack" is an attack that directly uses whatever element/theme the Esper is, "Indirect Attack" is where the Esper uses the element/theme to manipulate something else to attack, and "Signature Attack" is a specific attack style the esper either heavily favors or is known for.

Some Espers may not have a Direct Attack (Kongo comes to mind with how she uses Aero Hand) or haven't really had a signature attack displayed, but all of them have at least one Indirect Attack if someone can be considered immune to their Direct Attack. Accelerator, for example, has a ton of Indirect Attacks with how his Vector manipulation ability works.
Old 2014-07-20, 14:19   Link #12
Phibrizzo
Honos628

I have done 2 of this and used mainly BESM rule set for this, with some homebrewing and changes (as magic its a bit hard).

Make esp power "magic" and depends on energy.

Basically I recall i made

Esper
Student
Saint
Mage (I did a few different brews here)
And used a bit of other free ones

Fairly balanced to be honest.
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 21:26   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
Well, the Esper hyperspecialization I feel is a little deceptive. I mean sure, you still pick an element or theme (like paper), but I'm pretty sure you can categorize their abilities with "Direct Attack" and "Indirect Attack" here, and sometimes a Signature attack of some kind.

For example:

Mikoto-
Direct Attack: Electrical/Lightning Strike
Indirect Attack: Iron Sand
Signature Attack: Railgun (uses ammo)

Kuroko-
Direct Attack: Teleport (Touch range only)
Indirect Attack: Object Movement
Signature Attack: Needle Pin (uses ammo)

This is where "Direct Attack" is an attack that directly uses whatever element/theme the Esper is, "Indirect Attack" is where the Esper uses the element/theme to manipulate something else to attack, and "Signature Attack" is a specific attack style the esper either heavily favors or is known for.

Some Espers may not have a Direct Attack (Kongo comes to mind with how she uses Aero Hand) or haven't really had a signature attack displayed, but all of them have at least one Indirect Attack if someone can be considered immune to their Direct Attack. Accelerator, for example, has a ton of Indirect Attacks with how his Vector manipulation ability works.
The thing is, I want to balance that specialization with some flexibility. If we want the players to not get bored of their characters, they can't be playing a single style all the way without any versatility. Well, I suppose it wouldn't be too much of an issue for a card game, but I'm also planning for a JRPG lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
I have done 2 of this and used mainly BESM rule set for this, with some homebrewing and changes (as magic its a bit hard).

Make esp power "magic" and depends on energy.

Basically I recall i made

Esper
Student
Saint
Mage (I did a few different brews here)
And used a bit of other free ones

Fairly balanced to be honest.
I feel like in general, there are three forms of 'attack type', AIM, Mana, and normal.
Old 2014-07-20, 23:23   Link #14
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Well chaos its clases like templates that you can built uppon.

For example Touma is basically a student
Mikoto will be a esper
And mage its... duhh a mage
Saints are basically the same with greater stats and attacks, defense

Of course if you are creative u do much more but besm its pretty flexible if you need more information pm me.
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-23, 09:58   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
Well chaos its clases like templates that you can built uppon.

For example Touma is basically a student
Mikoto will be a esper
And mage its... duhh a mage
Saints are basically the same with greater stats and attacks, defense

Of course if you are creative u do much more but besm its pretty flexible if you need more information pm me.
I see what you mean, though the RPG I have in mind isn't necessarily a table top card RPG, I'm thinking more along the lines of a JRPG or something even more ambitious... Purely just for kicks of course.

But the key part is balance. We can't have 100 Saints and Gemstones running around after all, but at the same time if not fun playing a character with limited options either...On the other hand too much specialization is hard to balance an already Asymmetric setting.

Although, I suppose there's no harm in including more factions...
Old 2014-07-27, 12:46   Link #16
demino_hellsin
That one guy

character selection:
-You make one up and distribute his stats according to a set number of points given to each player. You may choose your faction which will determine the skills that may become available to you. During character creation, each player draws a talent card which may grant anything from an inborn gemstone ability which locks you into esper, character modifier as a saint or plain talent that increases your stats, or even Special state based abilities like Imagine Breaker.

stats and uses:
PWR - power determines physical combat
INT - Determines magic/esper combat
INI - determines how many actions can be taken in a turn.
STA - determines how much damage one can take before being eliminated as well as actions taken per turn.

Skills:
- esper skills are obtained by rolling when researching/studying. Skills are segregated from levels 1 to 5 and the learned skill level is determined by what number is rolled, for example rolling 1-10 allows you to get a level 1 skill, an 11-18 allows you to pick a level 2 skill and so on and so forth in smaller ranges which may be submitted to balancing. However ESPER skills are limited by their skill tree. You may pick any one skill as your first skill but subsequent skills must share the same skill tree as your first choice.

- magician skills will be segregated by faction. learning skills from another faction requires a player to betray their faction and therefore earn a bounty mark. Magicians with bounty marks take more damage from magicians without bounty marks. To remove a bounty mark, the player must roll dice against each of that factions members and a random magician player, winning a majority.

General game:
- actions that can be taken:
- COMBAT - attacking another character allows a strength check roll. If the attacker has higher strength, he can score a critical hit if he rolls a number with a difference greater than the difference between the his own power and the target's power. If he loses the roll with a difference greater than the difference between their strengths then he is dealt that much damage instead. Characters with lower PWR add their INT to their PWR before initiating combat check rolls when initiating attacks. sure attacks can be done but damage dealt is equal to half the difference in the combatants' PWR.
- SKILL - uses a spell or esper ability.
- RESEARCH/STUDY - for espers, initiate a roll check and draw a skill card from the appropriate skill level. If it is of your skill tree then add it to your inventory, if not then shuffle it back into the deck. Magicians will roll to determine what faction/cabal they will draw a skill card from. If the faction rolled is not of the player's cabal then they have a choice to decline drawing a skills card.
- EXPLORE - move from one sector into another. each sector will have its own effects and events.

actions can be repeatedly taken but each action will consume both stamina and initiative. When initiative drops to 0, you have no more actions. When you have no more stamina, then you are eliminated from the game. Initiative and stamina reset at the start of your next turn.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 19:55   Link #17
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The thing is, I want to balance that specialization with some flexibility. If we want the players to not get bored of their characters, they can't be playing a single style all the way without any versatility. Well, I suppose it wouldn't be too much of an issue for a card game, but I'm also planning for a JRPG lol
[...]
I gave it a bit of thought, and I think there's a trick to it here.

You can actually still follow a similar pattern to the Magic side here. The difference is that the Esper also adds an "implementation method" to their ability. So you have:

Main Theme
As said, this is the theme of the Esper. Examples: Electromaster, Pyrokinetic, Teleporter, etc.

Implementation
This is how the Esper implements their theme, and may boost their effectiveness. If the implementation forces an attribute to their attacks, protections are only half as effective and immunities only protect you by reducing damage by half. Example: Mikoto and Mugino are Electron control; Mikoto keeps it general, giving her more flexibility, while Mugino adds a specific factor of "Electrons in the the ambiguous state", which boosts her effectiveness with it, but makes all her abilities take on an "Electric/Lightning" attribute.

Optional Focus Requirement
These are items (plural intentional) that can be used to amplify or adjust the effects of the Esper's main theme in various ways. The use/effect doesn't have to make complete sense.

Examples: Awaki uses a Flashlight to help her aim at her teleport targets at range. Shizuri uses her Silicon cards to turn Meltdowner into a spread/AoE. Mikoto uses coins as ammo for her Railgun to work. Misaki uses her remote controls to designate and focus her powers.

Training
They're all either students or lab rats, so... You can probably use this to designate what equipment they have access to.
Old 2016-08-04, 23:09   Link #18
Shadeshadow227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
I gave it a bit of thought, and I think there's a trick to it here.

You can actually still follow a similar pattern to the Magic side here. The difference is that the Esper also adds an "implementation method" to their ability. So you have:

Main Theme
As said, this is the theme of the Esper. Examples: Electromaster, Pyrokinetic, Teleporter, etc.

Implementation
This is how the Esper implements their theme, and may boost their effectiveness. If the implementation forces an attribute to their attacks, protections are only half as effective and immunities only protect you by reducing damage by half. Example: Mikoto and Mugino are Electron control; Mikoto keeps it general, giving her more flexibility, while Mugino adds a specific factor of "Electrons in the the ambiguous state", which boosts her effectiveness with it, but makes all her abilities take on an "Electric/Lightning" attribute.

Optional Focus Requirement
These are items (plural intentional) that can be used to amplify or adjust the effects of the Esper's main theme in various ways. The use/effect doesn't have to make complete sense.

Examples: Awaki uses a Flashlight to help her aim at her teleport targets at range. Shizuri uses her Silicon cards to turn Meltdowner into a spread/AoE. Mikoto uses coins as ammo for her Railgun to work. Misaki uses her remote controls to designate and focus her powers.

Training
They're all either students or lab rats, so... You can probably use this to designate what equipment they have access to.
Genius. There's already an A Certain Magical Index tabletop RPG in the works. I'll take a couple ideas from that and apply them to what you posted. In the prototype RPG PDF, esper powers have "mechanical effects" and "deviation effects" A mechanical effect is a conventional way to use a power. Say I have a teleportation ability. A mechanical effect of that power would be teleporting out of the way of an attack. A deviation effect is an unconventional use of a power, like teleporting air into an apple, essentially causing telefrag, to cut said apple. This is a MINOR example of what a deviation effect is. You could also apply the "telefrag using air" idea to combat, slicing weapons apart. And the "implementation" thing should be more of a "specialization."...let me explain my thoughts.

Okay, so, let's compare Mugino and Mikoto. Mikoto's Electron Manipulation is a more general ability, no specialization, allowing for more flexibility. Mugino's Electron Manipulation IS specialized, allowing for different abilities than Mikoto while still having the same "root" ability. Mikoto controls electrons, allowing for the basic type of electricity control, and control over electromagnetism. Mugino controls electrons, which she can control in the ambiguous state between being a wave and a particle, essentially creating solidified electrons, which burn on contact similar to a high powered laser, and which she can shape into things like a limb, or a wall. Same root ability, electron manipulation, but different applications and overall usage, i.e., Meltdowner beams VS Railgun. The mechanical and deviation effects could be different as well depending on specific specialization. For example, a Telekinetic can move objects with his ability. Say me and my friend got into a combat situation. He is a Telekinetic. I have a specialized form of telekinesis, the same type of ability he has, but mine is focused around creation of golem-like constructs. He uses his telekinesis to fly upwards. A deviation effect. I use my power to create tentacle things from the ground, which ensnares and constricts a foe. Also a deviation effect. Same root power, different overall effects.

Also, wouldn't Mikoto's attacks have a Lightning attribute instead of Mugino's? She attacks using electricity, while Mugino uses something akin to a laser beam.
Shadeshadow227 is offline   Reply With Quote