AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-12-16, 23:46   Link #2221
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Again, as mentioned by others, you're basing your reasons on what you, the audience watching the series, feels based on what you know that she COULD NOT have totally known at all times since it happened within the story, so "screen time" is not a valid reason really outside of our own opinion as the viewers.
Quote:
Who says she had to openly, obviously show it? We don't know exactly what she was THINKING in that moment.
??? Of course I base my reason on what I see.. What else am I suposed to do? Make wild guesses on how Luna *might* have felt jealousy or hatred towards her sister?
I only mentioned the things as how they were presented visually and verbally by the show and that is already hard enough, remember this is Destiny we are talking about.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend like I know more than what we all have seen.. Don't dig to much into Destiny characters, there is simply nothing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45
To be fair your responses using *red shirt* as a description comes off as if your referring to her position, not her abilities, Hence why posters are troubled with your angle of replies.
..... Let me put it this way, I'm confused by her 'position' in relation to her abilities as a elite pilot. (or the lack of).
Old 2011-12-17, 00:40   Link #2222
winter45

@kaito kid

So was i, till monster refreshed my memory. To me it has always been silly (in the back of my mind) to have a different color uniform to show your classroom position than having a medal or badge that would represent the same accomplishment. Combined the word *elite* on top of this would easily confuse viewers believing that red coat elite status represents a high caliber pilot which is not the case.

So you and I have/still been confused in this matter.

Just re-read the earlier posts that myself and monster have submitted and hopefully this will clear this up.

If i am thinking what you are thinking i do agree it is a silly system.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 01:46   Link #2223
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, we're probably not meant to think SO much on it, but I'm sure there would've had to have been SOME kind of clearance from higher up for Luna to be given the job of piloting the Impulse after Shinn got the Destiny and I doubt they would've cleared her unless she was, based on test/mission/etc reports, found to be more than good enough to be the pilot as I doubt they'd just let anyone (red or otherwise) be made the pilot of a still-pretty-new piece of high-tech military equipment. If her piloting was SO bad, she should've still been stuck in the ZAKU Warrior while a better, more capable pilot was brought in to take over the Impulse controls.

Unfortunately, it's another one of those situations that stick out when it probably wasn't meant to...
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 02:08   Link #2224
monster

Quote:
Well, we're probably not meant to think SO much on it, but I'm sure there would've had to have been SOME kind of clearance from higher up for Luna to be given the job of piloting the Impulse after Shinn got the Destiny and I doubt they would've cleared her unless she was, based on test/mission/etc reports, found to be more than good enough to be the pilot as I doubt they'd just let anyone (red or otherwise) be made the pilot of a still-pretty-new piece of high-tech military equipment. If her piloting was SO bad, she should've still been stuck in the ZAKU Warrior while a better, more capable pilot was brought in to take over the Impulse controls.
I just figured Durandal didn't care anymore about who pilot the Impulse once Shinn received the Destiny. Lunamaria was just a convenient Minerva pilot who can still pilot the Impulse, even if not as well as Shinn did. There's no reason why she should be stuck with a Zaku when the Impulse is available.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 02:39   Link #2225
winter45

To add: Minerva is also the home-base and also designed to carter for impulse would make sense considering luna is stationed on board while shinn and rey received their new suits that luna the last of the 3 pilots would receive the next available powerful suite respectively (impulse).

Even tho it was never stated or showed I would be under the impression since luna has done sorties side by side with Impulse, she would be a logical choice having extensive knowledge of impulse capabilities oppose to having a new pilot unfamiliar with impulse capabilities excluding from reading text books and manuals or even video recordings at this late period of the war.

But frankly, really doesn't matter the reason behind the next pilot for impulse. But i will say it is nice to see a gundam not trashed to pave way for a new model even if its a hand down to another pilot.

@ RX-78GP04G Gerbera

I understand your logic of choice and if was up to me i would also follow the same thought pattern. Unfortunately we can only conclude by the results that was handed to us not the process that was led to final outcome. Which unfortunately generally thru out Destiny doesnt help viewers when dissecting the show to get more of a coherent understanding of thought process besides *it resulted/concluded this way*

Last edited by winter45; 2011-12-17 at 03:37.
Old 2011-12-17, 03:02   Link #2226
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
But i will say it is nice to see a gundam not trashed to pave way for a new model even if its a hand down to another pilot.
That's one advantage of the Impulse design. It's more resistant to becoming useless due to damage over time.
Old 2011-12-17, 03:40   Link #2227
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Even though it was trashed (then again, what "normal" MS wouldn't be in that situation), the Strike was similar as it still performed well in Mwu's hands after it was restored and he had never piloted a MS before then. Only piloted Mobile Armor and Fighters. Also went and spawned out the Strike Rouge which was still being used in Destiny and still had some fight left in it, even if Kira was just trying to get to the Eternal and not duke it out with the enemy MS.

Sadly, getting trashed/destroyed is one of the only ways to ("believably") remove the previous MS from the picture to make room for the new MS, especially if there's not enough "main" main characters for the previous MS to be passed down to. One of the only other things is for it to be ditched and, for some reason, hardly be seen again (like the poor, abandoned Wing Gundam lol ).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 04:22   Link #2228
winter45

I was overly concern that Impulse would of shared the same fate as freedom as an excuse to bring in a new suit (Destiny). That's my angle.
Old 2011-12-17, 13:32   Link #2229
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

By the battle of Jaqin Due ZAFT was already running low on experienced pilots. Yzak was given a bunch of kids fresh out of the academy under his command. In Destiny ZAFT had the same issue, because you can recruit and train new pilots, but combat experience is not something you can teach in training, it's earned in the battlefield. That's why the Patrick Zala loyalists mopped the floor with the Yzak's and MInerva's team at Junius 7 using obsolete mobile suits.

Luna survived a bunch of operations and had real combat experience, so even if some of that was playing turret in MInerva, she still had a couple of kills under her belt and was more than worthy of Impulse.
Old 2011-12-17, 14:05   Link #2230
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

SEED Destiny's own production problems probably help contribute to the idea that Lunamaria was a terrible pilot: case in point, her missing Djibril's shuttle and it being blamed as atmospheric interference or turbulence or whatever (haven't gotten to the episode yet myself, stupid corrupt disc), which was fixed in the Special Edition movies, I hear. Perhaps if SEED Destiny had a less problematic production, Lunamaria would've come off as a more skilled-looking pilot.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:14   Link #2231
Charred Knight

Part of the problem is that you're comparing Lunamaria to some of the best pilots in the war. She's certainly better than a grunt pilot, and I don't think it would be wise to try to introduce another ace pilot just to give them the impulse. For the type of character (support love interest i.e the Fa role) I think Lunamaria more than held her own.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 21:19   Link #2232
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Especially when the last time they introduced a new ace pilot, he got bisected in his first battle.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:48   Link #2233
monster

And then there are people like Nichol, or even Rusty, the guy who died in the first episode of SEED.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:50   Link #2234
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

To be fair to Rusty, that wasn't a mobile suit battle that got him killed.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:54   Link #2235
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
To be fair to Rusty, that wasn't a mobile suit battle that got him killed.
It was only an example to show that wearing a ZAFT red uniform doesn't necessarily mean you would perform well in a real battle.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:55   Link #2236
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Rusty got shot in the face by Ramius didn't he?
Old 2011-12-17, 21:57   Link #2237
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Rusty got shot in the face by Ramius didn't he?
No, I think it was by an unknown soldier that Athrun then shot.
Old 2011-12-17, 21:57   Link #2238
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's also the only large-scale infantry battle we've seen, too, and four redcoats came out of it just fine. I wouldn't call it that great an example. Plus with the whole firing range scene in SEED Destiny, I get the feeling that infantry training takes a backseat for mobile suit pilots.

Which makes a bit of sense; most engagements will have ZAFT fielding nothing smaller than a GINN at that point in the war.
Old 2011-12-17, 22:01   Link #2239
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's also the only large-scale infantry battle we've seen, too, and four redcoats came out of it just fine. I wouldn't call it that great an example. Plus with the whole firing range scene in SEED Destiny, I get the feeling that infantry training takes a backseat for mobile suit pilots.

Which makes a bit of sense; most engagements will have ZAFT fielding nothing smaller than a GINN at that point in the war.
Maybe, but considering how well Athrun performed outside a mobile suit, I think it's safe to say that they have enough training in that department as well.
Old 2011-12-17, 22:07   Link #2240
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Maybe. The one good scene of Athrun's had him up against a Natural civilian that likely had minimal military training so even without a gun, Cagalli would've been outmatched. The only further scenes were during Destiny, and by then Athrun also had two years' worth of playing bodyguard to refine any infantry combat skills he had. And I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC, Athrun was known for his marksmanship anyway and stood out in that regard. I'd have to go through what I have of Destiny to be sure on that, though.

So while I'm sure they had plenty of ground training, it still wouldn't be what they're best at. IIRC, the redcoats were to just do what they can to get to the Gundams and hijack them; I'm sure command would've want the rest of the soldiers to do the brunt of the ground combat.

Regardless, this conversation was originally about a ZAFT Elite's piloting ability, not his or her overall military performance in and out of a mobile suit.