AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-23, 11:29   Link #1601
HandofFate

female magician shifting between 3 different voices/personalities is addicting.
Old 2013-03-23, 17:00   Link #1602
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Having re-watched Spice and Wolf recently, I can say that Maouyuu and Spice share one thing directly in common. That is.....the worst transitions in anime history.

The animators or storyboarders for both shows seem to have neglected (or plain thrown out) an element of storytelling: the transition. Scenes cut back and forth with little (music chime at best) or no linking.

Let me just say that this isn't just episode 11 of Maoyuu that I'm talking about. Just about all the episodes have jarringly bad transitions. Whether it is going from two people talking to another two people talking or disconnects between battle scenes, the lack of transitions is more than bothering me.
An understatement if there ever was one, though this episode really stands on top of the others due to the high amount of viewpoints it keeps switching between with little thought as to the timing behind it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 05:09   Link #1603
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Everything - even modern firearms - shoots in a parabolic arc. It's depends on gravity, not the type of weapon.
Crossbow is unable to shoot parabolic arc like bow. Due it bolt will quickly lost kinetic energy, thus greatly lost it's penetration power and accuracy more than arrow. That why in Medieval time, crossbowmen usually shoot straightly like these

and only few angle for longer distance

The manga do better than anime about crossbow fire.

Even more, the crossbow in this anime shoot arrow instead bolt. It is awesome, lolz. These are the correct bolt
Spoiler for size:

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2013-03-24 at 05:29.
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 09:08   Link #1604
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Crossbow is unable to shoot parabolic arc like bow. Due it bolt will quickly lost kinetic energy, thus greatly lost it's penetration power and accuracy more than arrow. That why in Medieval time, crossbowmen usually shoot straightly like these

and only few angle for longer distance
Ok that is bad physics. the only real difference between a bow, a crossbow, a gun, and a cannon is the velocity the projectile is lunched at and power wise a crossbow isn't that much more powerful then a longbow it is just more compact. As for "quickly losing kinetic energy" it is no different then a bow the only way you are losing kinetic energy beyond air resistance is if you are shooting at a spot higher then you are and you would have lost the same amount if you shot straight on. also the crossbowmen were in a trench so unless they were aiming for the legs of the horses there is no way the were not arcing them.
Quote:
The manga do better than anime about crossbow fire.
Nope the manga explained nothing about crossbow fire only that they were using a 2 man rotation where one was loading a bow while the other shot it. it did go into a bit more detail about the trench war far they were using but nothing important was glossed over about it. Oh and you might want to reread page 22 of chapter 20 because the bolts are clearly arcing there as well.
Quote:
Even more, the crossbow in this anime shoot arrow instead bolt. It is awesome, lolz. These are the correct bolt
Spoiler for size:
The difference between an arrow and a bolt is minimal the biggest difference is that bolts don't have fletching. Which is odd as all those "bolts" in the photo there do so technically those are arrows.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 09:33   Link #1605
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Nope the manga explained nothing about crossbow fire only that they were using a 2 man rotation where one was loading a bow while the other shot it. it did go into a bit more detail about the trench war far they were using but nothing important was glossed over about it. Oh and you might want to reread page 22 of chapter 20 because the bolts are clearly arcing there as well.
I thought the anime had a problem showing the defenders were outnumbered. Have you seen the size of those volleys? There were like ten or twenty arrows to a cavalryman!
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 10:19   Link #1606
s07195
However,

What was with Female Magician getting cut off while saying where the Demon Queen was? Very disconcerting. However, the plot was good enough to make me like this episode a lot.

It seems that we're reaching the climax... Next episode is the final one, right?
Old 2013-03-24, 12:12   Link #1607
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I thought the anime had a problem showing the defenders were outnumbered. Have you seen the size of those volleys? There were like ten or twenty arrows to a cavalryman!
Well given that the cavalryman were comeing through a choke point and only around 10 or so could try to pass through at a time and there were likely over 2 hundred defenders 10 arrows or more arrows per cavalryman is about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
What was with Female Magician getting cut off while saying where the Demon Queen was? Very disconcerting. However, the plot was good enough to make me like this episode a lot.

It seems that we're reaching the climax... Next episode is the final one, right?
sounds like a range or signal issue it did sound like she was breaking up before she was cut off.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 14:18   Link #1608
Newhope

They missed or rushed alot this episode, which is a shame the pacing could have been alot better if they hadn't wasted that episode on the recap.

They missed out the most important part of the Female Magicians conversation with the hero where she basically tells him who she is, and yes by the time the hero was in the Demon realm they where losing contact with each other.

The Student generals fight was rushed as well, didn't really show how out numbered he was and how he planned to deal with that.

I fear for the pacing of the last episode as well they have the Female knight,hero vs Maoyuu fights and ending to deal with in 24 minutes.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:34   Link #1609
Ushio the Omega

First volume sells 2710 copies (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...92#post2018992) which means it's a flop and no second season japan why don't you have any taste! while love live sells 18,000 copies
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:01   Link #1610
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Why do I have a feeling that the reason for the poor sales was too much war bla bla and not enough HeroxDemon Queen moments?
Old 2013-03-28, 17:36   Link #1611
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
First volume sells 2710 copies (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...92#post2018992) which means it's a flop and no second season japan why don't you have any taste! while love live sells 18,000 copies
Wow, is it true? If it is, then it’s just like how I predicted. The awful earlier episodes (except episode 1) is enough to make people drop the show, so the anime failed as a promotional tool for the novels. IMO Spice and Wolf’s earlier episodes are not as awfully paced like Maoyuu’s episode 2-5. That’s what you get from the first half of a season which is badly executed and feels really rushed.
Old 2013-03-28, 19:38   Link #1612
Newhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
It's actually not to bad thats about break even area for anime I was expecting alot worse.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:52   Link #1613
SQA

I think the difference is more "Bad early eps make it so Otaku don't feel a desire to spend 400 dollars on a series." Don't forget how much a 6 vol set of a 1 cours show costs.

Also, with how much they animated, I'd take a good guess they were contracted to cover the first two volumes in 1 cour. I can't see a production staff looking at the size of the content and thinking that's the best plan. Which means this really was just to pump up the book sales.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 13:52   Link #1614
Newhope

Just watched the last episode and happy with it (Maoyuu vs Hero could have been better) they didn't go with a orignal ending as I feared and basically set up a 2nd season.

Over all despite a few pacing issues near the end and the wasted episode this was by far my favorite and near enough the only anime this season that I've watched all the way though.

So a solid 9/10 from me better than most of the trash from this season .

Last edited by Newhope; 2013-03-29 at 15:34.
Old 2013-03-29, 14:41   Link #1615
Pen3

Is it just me or did it seem like maidochan didn't recognize that soldier was one of maoyuu's student?
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 14:53   Link #1616
HandofFate

Lots of fighting, lots of events concluded.
Ended kind of in the middle of nowhere, but rather than a "life goes on" conclusion, its more of just a pre-cursor. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more seasons down the road.

Favorite character was female knight.
Old 2013-03-29, 15:25   Link #1617
ookamigirl

So we finally got to see Maou vs Yuusha something like a fight.
Didn't expect to see this at all judging by the way things were going.
I wasn't surprised how fast he got her to her senses..
In this anime humans were pretty much the only bad guys.
Humans were so difficult to deal with... so stubborn.
All in all this was a good anime which could've been better.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 15:26   Link #1618
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I was HOPING they would at least get Hero vs DQ fight right, but they failed even that =0(. There was ZERO tension in that whole scene; no former demon lord shadows, no attack magic, no swordplay, just a teleport and a hug =02. Strangely, the fight between the 1-eyed merc and Soldier(DQ's former student) was better than the Hero/DQ one, though that's not saying much since it wasn't that good either. I have NO idea how Soldier managed to grab the merc's sword, when it fell before them, not to mention having to fight the merc on the way down AND being injured. I'm going to completely ignore the fact that only a small amount of the sword is in the wall perpendicularly, yet managed to stop a heavy guy falling without being pulled out. I guess grabbing the rope would be too realistic (>.>)...

This show has failed in delivering a cohesive watching experience; the way they ignored the minor details for the entire cast really killed this show. Those minor details fleshed out the cast so nicely, despite being relatively unimportant to the storyline. They tried to do too much in too little time; they should have either made it into a 2-cour series, or a 1-cour series that stopped after Aurora Island was recaptured. The only things that truly shined in this series was HeroxDQxFK moments, or any combination of two of those chars. I loved Sawashiro's voice for FK to bits; she really did a wonderful job there =03. Other than that, this series is rather forgettable(well, the anime anyways. The manga is excellent =03)

frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 16:10   Link #1619
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I think it's safe to say the best episode from this show was the first one-v-;;.
Old 2013-03-29, 16:37   Link #1620
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Last Verse. I'm Back my Hero. You Sleep too Much, My Demon King.

So, this is the end for Maou and Yuusha.

It was rather quick how Yuusha called Maou back to her senses, and while addressing her people of the Demon Realm she wouldn't command any respect unless she does something cool and flashier like her Black Knight obliterating a whole mountain before the audience, for example.

Now, the war has ended for now.
The dual economy system is now introduced, but Heavens know if it can sustain itself.
Gate City is accomplished to become a central hub for human-Demon social, political, and cultural gatherings, exchanges, and interactions.

The Merchants Guild will find a way to trade with the Demons in order to open new trade routes and markets, and thus strengthening ties between both races.

Then, the print will allow for a rapid publishing and distribution of books, pamphlets, and printed papers in an eventual, worldwide scale.

But, there's still an underhanded issues to solve: the other Demon tribes conspiring with the Central Alliances and the Church. And, just when I start to ponder when will the show be introducing firearms, powder, and their mass distribution, one of Church's protegés introduce them to their fellow conspirators. Thus, the course of the war will be taken to a whole new level, and one in which that Council of Shadows expect to tilt the tide of the upcoming wars to their favors.

Hmmph....
What to think about Maoyuu Maou Yuusha? It was a nice ride, but I feel they dragged too much from the earlier episode to preach and document how would the ideas and reforms brought by Maou were to benefit the medieval society at the long run.

I really enjoyed it, but I felt it needed much more action and romance and historical fantasy elements like the battles.

Gosh, I really miss those jokes about Maou's shameful flesh.
And, her constant bickering with Knight.

Ok, what's gone is gone, and going by the number of sales for the first volume, kindly informed to us by our friend Ushio the Omega, I cannot get high hopes for a second season unless the producer change their minds.

Well, a fun but long-winded ride; it's now over, and since this has been the last anime finished for this 2013 winter season, then I'm done with the current season and have to wait three more days for the start of the Spring Season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem