AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-01-24, 04:50   Link #581
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Vol.7's cover can been seen here too:

Spoiler for :
Easily one of my favorite covers yet. Can't wait for a scan of it, for avatar material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea Rabbit View Post
about Simon-san, what's there connection, between him and Shizu??
It's impossible to say at the moment after three episodes. We have no knowledge of the connection apart from the fact that they know each other going by their little conversation when Simon appeared at the scene.
Old 2010-01-24, 05:44   Link #582
Vicious108

Simon seems to be the type who's against senseless violence, so it's only natural that he and Shizuo, the one they call violence itself, would have met and clashed at least a few times before.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 06:19   Link #583
Kunagisa

Quote:
The novel also being translated by Baka-Tsuki (sporadically so though) with the prologue and 2 chapters out.

Spoiler for :
Is it just me or is that Izaya's jacket with a very interesting weapon?
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 06:22   Link #584
SMT
*Artist

Quote:

Spoiler for :
Spoiler for spoilers?:
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 06:23   Link #585
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Is it just me or is that Izaya's jacket with a very interesting weapon?
That it is. One could say that's quite the spoiler.
Old 2010-01-24, 06:43   Link #586
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That it is. One could say that's quite the spoiler.
Cover images either tell you a lot or mislead you a lot though @__@.
Old 2010-01-24, 07:00   Link #587
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
If you're super fast with the knife, you don't need a lot of strength. Slicing and dicing up someone in 2 seconds is a better combat skill than being able to toss a soda machine imo.

Shizuo and Simon may be stronger but if Izaya gets serious, they won't be able stop the damage. You only need to cut the hamstring tendons ala Ong Bak and they're history.
If it was that simple I doubt he would've had that forced smile on his face.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 09:24   Link #588
Velore

I don't think any knife mastery can be as good as the ability to make someone undress in air with one punch. Yeah...
Old 2010-01-24, 10:54   Link #589
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrrend View Post
Simon is a Russian is he?
Yes, he's a "Black Russian!"

My favorite line in episode three is when the bartender tells Mikado his name sounds like an air conditioner. I'm guessing it would be something akin to a "Chrysler Imperial?"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 12:00   Link #590
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Too bad he's not a White Russian, but The Dude Abides

Hmmm well that pic is interesting O_O
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 12:14   Link #591
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Yes, I have no idea if the pun was intended, but I found it hilarious that a Black Russian was fighting with a bartender.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 15:46   Link #592
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:

Spoiler for :
It looks like the lady in the lab coat in the OP stole Izaya's coat, either that or there is some serious gender bending going on. And there seem to be a number of knife nuts in this story....
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 16:46   Link #593
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
It looks like the lady in the lab coat in the OP stole Izaya's coat, either that or there is some serious gender bending going on. And there seem to be a number of knife nuts in this story....
I think it's best take stuopidget's advice and not look too much into it especially this early in the stage of the story.

Vol.7 apparently deals with mostly sides stories that are not completely related to the main plot anyway.

Also, I don't think this hilarious part from episode 3 get mentioned enough:

Spoiler for :

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-01-24 at 17:22.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 16:59   Link #594
Kunagisa

Quote:

Spoiler for :
Totally agreed! I think I mentioned it before, but that guy with the pink pants near the end of that scene just cracks me up.

Him: Doo Doo Doo Doo
Shizuo: *ZIDANE HEADBUTT* (not really but close enough!)

He's the only one who kinda just walk up there with a =__=' face. The first fat guy who looks like he's trying to imitate a jiangshi gets honorable mention too.
Old 2010-01-24, 17:26   Link #595
Iron Maw
Banned

Yeah, he looked so confused.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 17:43   Link #596
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I do believe it was mentioned, though Shizuo's epic punch kind of taken over the main discussion from that scene.
Old 2010-01-24, 18:46   Link #597
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I believe I have convinced some friends to try this show solely from the crazy violence in episode three. Certainly makes it stand out....
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 01:12   Link #598
Sol Falling

lol, I really wanted to hate on that wuss of a main character based on what people were saying here, but he turned out less annoying than I thought he'd be. I am still pretty disgusted by the naive sort of crushes characters of his type go through, though (might go as far as to call it plain selfish behaviour) so by god I am hoping Anri's complete non-interest in him stays that way.

Speaking of Izaya's interest in Mikado: for now I am hoping, and also assuming, that it is only an initial curiousity after witnessing his naive and self-important behaviour in trying to work himself up to save a girl from bullies, and he only took note of him in the first place because he recognized Masaomi Kida. That is to say, Izaya looking straight at Mikado when he said "I came to meet somebody, but I've met him already" is a red herring/doesn't mean anything. Weak stupid guys randomly having plot importance is something I don't like seeing in fiction. Call it envy, or distaste for cheap escapism, whichever.

Izaya stepping on the girl's cell phone would have been more impressive if it seemed like appreciable damage was actually being done to it. As it was, after stomping on it about a dozen times, it just looked like it got a bit scratched up. Basically, all he managed to instill in those bullies was, rather than fear, a sense of 'holy shit, this creep is crazy'. That's kind of pathetic. I did like that Izaya saved them in the first place though, that speaks much better for his intentions beneath it all than what he did last episode.

After this episode I can admit Kida is amusing, at least moreso than the first episode. I kinda laugh at his evasive expression while Izaya was talking to him, though. Looks like he's just a mediocre human out for his own skin after all. Oh, and blaming his pick-up failures on Mikado's 'gloomy expression' too. Thus far, I'll allow myself to be entertained, but he's not gaining any sympathy.

As for Shizuo, I like him thus far, but if his cordial association with Celty underscores some 'feel good' sense of justice or kindness like she seems to have then he just became a lot less GAR. 'Embodiment of violence' my ass, lol.

Onto the exposition, I can see why people describe this series as 'about gang wars' now, lol. It is not grabbing me, honestly. lol, like seriously, what is with trying to describe Dollars as 'transparent' or 'colourless' when it's pretty clear they just don't subscribe to your lame arbitrary 'colour' system in the first place? I could have lived with them being 'green', though.

I'll keep on following this 'cause it seems like good talking material; at least it makes me chatty, I've noticed. Verdict on quality will have to wait, maybe til the end. Like the main character, maybe I don't want to like it[/him], but if it proves I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 02:24   Link #599
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Weak stupid guys randomly having plot importance is something I don't like seeing in fiction. Call it envy, or distaste for cheap escapism, whichever.
Yet Mikado is 'somewhat' the central character although theoretically speaking it's actually pretty hard to label him with central role. It seems pretty harsh to label him 'weak stupid guy randomly having plot importance' when you only get to see a side of him Call it fangirl's natural instinct but I'm speculating that there is something special about Mikado that calls me not to dislike him yet. And God knows how much I hate people with weak will like him 8'D (The narration doesn't help in making me intrigued to Mikado for that matter.)

I'm always expecting Narita's characters, even the not-strong willed ones at the first, to surprise and/or makes me interested. And that has yet to be broken on course of marathoning Baccano! back before

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 04:43   Link #600
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
I'm always expecting Narita's characters, even the not-strong willed ones at the first, to surprise and/or makes me interested. And that has yet to be broken on course of marathoning Baccano! back before
I'm definitely seeing a Jaccuzi Splot thing going on with Mikado's character, so I expect him to (vastly) improve before the anime is over.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen