AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 00:25   Link #961
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As for Issei, I don't really get the feeling he would actually want a harem. Highschool male fantasies aside (of which he certainly has a lot of ), as his incident with Yuuma showed, he would actually cherish an actual relationship were he to find himself in one. Given the apparently strong opinions he has developed on 'purity' (for lack of a better term) of romance as result of said incident, no, I actually don't think he would be all that cool with the situation either.

As far as I can see, all the harem talk is basically fun and games (and lots of pent up sexual frustration channeled into fantasy ), but I doubt he would actually extend them to practice, even if given the chance.
He's pretty much seems like the male version of Yamada from B Gata H Kei
Old 2012-02-13, 00:27   Link #962
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

I brought that up on his character before; while he may have fantasies (what single guy doesn't?), when it comes to the real deal, he has shown to be more than willing to commit to 1 girl and do whatever he could to make her happy.

This is what sets him (and other similar male harem leads) apart from the typical ones we see.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 00:33   Link #963
Midonin
Last Engage

I don't think any lead has been described as "typical" in a good several years. They all have something that sets them apart (as any storyteller is wont to do). Which means either the definition of "typical" has drifted or people have a really short memory/low expectations.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 00:34   Link #964
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
I brought that up on his character before; while he may have fantasies (what single guy doesn't?), when it comes to the real deal, he has shown to be more than willing to commit to 1 girl and do whatever he could to make her happy.

This is what sets him (and other similar male harem leads) apart from the typical ones we see.
He is also more than willing to make more than one girl happy. The situation you have to understand is that the women are not fighting over sole access of him, but only the social hierarchy position. There can only be one Head Wife.

But it is true that he isn't out to obtain women at all costs; Yuuma's fate proved that he has standards. And all this can only happen if and only if Rias is okay with it.

That's the thing with Head Wives in a harem; the head wife tend to decide if any newcomers are allowed or not.
Old 2012-02-13, 00:38   Link #965
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post

Yea he is.
Also the thing with him getting super excited at things just adds to his character. He wouldn't have been so entertaining to watch if they had used a cool image with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Or it can continue later as novels have enough material for 2-3 seasons.
I read somewhere that volume 12 of the LN comes out soon? So this could easily have 4 seasons if they want.
Personally I would enjoy it a hell lot more as some 50+ episode series rather than short 12-13 episode a season
Old 2012-02-13, 03:21   Link #966
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

imho the typical harem lead is where at first glance the girl is instantly taking interest of the male lead weather positive or negative and later on will be by his side.

But always a harem is either dense or a pervert. Issie falls on you know what side.
Old 2012-02-13, 04:13   Link #967
Misdreavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
imho the typical harem lead is where at first glance the girl is instantly taking interest of the male lead weather positive or negative and later on will be by his side.

But always a harem is either dense or a pervert. Issie falls on you know what side.
Though I would NOT call this anime a typical harem anime, because so far, only Asia likes Issei in that way, and Rias likes Issei in another way, or at least the anime seems to be hinting something. I would not call that a harem, especially since Akeno and Koneko doesn't seem to give a damn about him, romantically of course.

Issei wanting to be a harem king doesn't mean that the anime is one either.

And so far, nothing typical harem cliche has happened O.o I don't recall Issei ever falling on any of the girls, nor has he stumbled on anyone naked accidentally, and none of the girls has even said the word pervert once.

And about typical harem leads, might I suggest people read the Trinity Seven manga for an awesome example of one of the BEST harem leads ever.
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 05:32   Link #968
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdreavius View Post
Though I would NOT call this anime a typical harem anime, because so far, only Asia likes Issei in that way, and Rias likes Issei in another way, or at least the anime seems to be hinting something. I would not call that a harem, especially since Akeno and Koneko doesn't seem to give a damn about him, romantically of course.

Issei wanting to be a harem king doesn't mean that the anime is one either.

And so far, nothing typical harem cliche has happened O.o I don't recall Issei ever falling on any of the girls, nor has he stumbled on anyone naked accidentally, and none of the girls has even said the word pervert once.

And about typical harem leads, might I suggest people read the Trinity Seven manga for an awesome example of one of the BEST harem leads ever.
This most probably will become a harem probably including 15 or so people, Issei will most probably just have to earn it the hard way.

Trinity seven the main lead is a bit refreshing in regards to harem leads but that manga has no real plot or at least any that actually takes the focus of any of the chapters and that may or not end up like a harem. Unlike Issei that dude hasn't explicitly stated he wanted a harem, heck he does't even do anything in ecchi situations unless like he's said he's reached a certain closeness.

Anyway Issei isn't exactly the typical perverted harem lead, he's more like the defining perverted harem lead. You'll probably see him ending up being extremely perverted, and he's not entirely a nice guy.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 06:54   Link #969
Misdreavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
This most probably will become a harem probably including 15 or so people, Issei will most probably just have to earn it the hard way.

Trinity seven the main lead is a bit refreshing in regards to harem leads but that manga has no real plot or at least any that actually takes the focus of any of the chapters and that may or not end up like a harem. Unlike Issei that dude hasn't explicitly stated he wanted a harem, heck he does't even do anything in ecchi situations unless like he's said he's reached a certain closeness.

Anyway Issei isn't exactly the typical perverted harem lead, he's more like the defining perverted harem lead. You'll probably see him ending up being extremely perverted, and he's not entirely a nice guy.
Well I've never read the LN so I have no idea if it will become a harem or not. All I know is that so far in the anime, it doesn't come off as a harem anime and that he doesn't have one yet, and that Issei isn't a "typical harem lead" in that he doesn't actually have a harem... yet? If Issei ends up getting a harem later on, then so be it.

And even if you believe that Trinity Seven doesn't have a plot, you have to admit that Arata is one of the best harem protagonists out there.

Confident, badass, manly, not a wuss, not afraid to not wear pants in front of girls and has magic that can strip girls, if only all harem manga leads had his personality. (though then most stories wouldn't work lol)
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 08:12   Link #970
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdreavius View Post
Well I've never read the LN so I have no idea if it will become a harem or not. All I know is that so far in the anime, it doesn't come off as a harem anime and that he doesn't have one yet, and that Issei isn't a "typical harem lead" in that he doesn't actually have a harem... yet? If Issei ends up getting a harem later on, then so be it.

And even if you believe that Trinity Seven doesn't have a plot, you have to admit that Arata is one of the best harem protagonists out there.

Confident, badass, manly, not a wuss, not afraid to not wear pants in front of girls and has magic that can strip girls, if only all harem manga leads had his personality. (though then most stories wouldn't work lol)
Umm Issei actually gains one of thise. Arata is great but in my personally perfer Issei. In the LN he practically becomes the Kamina of perverts, and acquires a laundry list of badass and perverted lines. There's so many I can't even remember them all. He's more hot blooded than Arata, though Arata probably has bit more style. Issei tends to drive towards more of a "true mans" dream of being with several women at once.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:21   Link #971
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Yea he is.
Also the thing with him getting super excited at things just adds to his character. He wouldn't have been so entertaining to watch if they had used a cool image with him

I read somewhere that volume 12 of the LN comes out soon? So this could easily have 4 seasons if they want.
Personally I would enjoy it a hell lot more as some 50+ episode series rather than short 12-13 episode a season
Volume 12 will come out soon march-april, and volume 13 is already booked for September.
And based on anime. We will only get volume 1-2 (volume 1 was the whole affair with Yuma and rescue Asia arc was the last part of vol 1). And some sidestories from volume 8, like the Dress Breaker Slime familar.
So we have enough material for more seasons.
And considering how GREAT was volume 2 ending, you will want more, thats for sure I tell ya.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:35   Link #972
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
hmmm Rias's mind never wanders that much shes usually very attentive. I smell arranged marriage in her future. Which might be a bit of a problem given how she is falling for Issei.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:42   Link #973
Xaturas

Could you guys be less oblivious with the spoilers cause it doesn't look like predictions ^^. Next you will start talking about true Harem Master and that stuff.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:51   Link #974
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Could you guys be less oblivious with the spoilers cause it doesn't look like predictions ^^. Next you will start talking about true Harem Master and that stuff.
Sorry to nitpick but you mean obvious and not oblivious

I come to this show late but it's been entertaining thus far. It's not really remarkable in any sense of the word as far as I am concerned but it's fun enough for a "one-season stand"

Yeah, that means I hope this gets something like a satisfying ending for this season because I probably wouldn't watch more if there is any. I'm always open to surprises though.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:54   Link #975
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Sorry to nitpick but you mean obvious and not oblivious

I come to this show late but it's been entertaining thus far. It's not really remarkable in any sense of the word as far as I am concerned but it's fun enough for a "one-season stand"

Yeah, that means I hope this gets something like a satisfying ending for this season because I probably wouldn't watch more if there is any.
Gramar Nazi XD, but true.

Anyway I can't wait for the story to pick up the volume 2.
Especially the night scene at the start.
Ero Awesomeness here it comes, after fillers from v8 that is.

And as for your ending hopes, If it ends at Volume 2. Then I'm more than sure that you and everyone will be happy with it. It just that good, in everything story/romance/love/fights and it even has a closure feel, where you hope to see future events.
I would compare it to those open endings in many anime series, where you feel fulfilled but theres also a sight of future for the cast.
Old 2012-02-13, 11:17   Link #976
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Two reasons...
  • Has to compete with Rias' butt
  • Asia lost 99% of her charm not being abused by psycho priests and lesbian angels
Okay, #1 I can understand, but #2? Yuuma was a lezzie?

Still, Akeno has the best butt *runs*

Quote:
That's exactly how I thought about Issei . Sure the aspiration is there, but is he really able to go through with it? There's been quite the number of male leads over the years who have had their wishes not lined up with their serious mode...

The thing that I primarily look at, is that this guy wants to be a king, and he wants to have female servants. Servants at his beck and call. This isn't the kind of harem where the girls fall for him, he wants to shoot to the top and use his status to get girls. And that's the part I have a hard time believing that this anime will show us. Seriously.... Akeno is the sadist, and no sadist plays the servant part in S&M play *runs*

I can't even remember the last memorable time a male protag desired a harem and the story did not end up open-ended

Quote:
50+ eps.... as long as there is at least one scene where Akeno takes a shower, one bloody scene is all I ask, then yes, I think I would enjoy that much DxD eps.

Now for that many eps, you will need 4 or more different ED's. How do you top DxD's current ED? The girls in their pole dancing outfits singing a song and dancing? I say, if they could animate Divergence Eve's ED static scenes, I would definitely approve

Quote:
Volume 12 will come out soon march-april, and volume 13 is already booked for September.
Wow, that's a lot of material in relation to what's been used up so far. Personally though, the action scenes could use a bit more work, honestly, I just can't help but get those Sekirei HidanNoAria vibes from this series. Great static art, but jerky animation. That's the only thing hindering me from attaching a "awesome" tag to this anime
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 12:21   Link #977
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Okay, #1 I can understand, but #2? Yuuma was a lezzie?
... in my distorted imagination...

Quote:
Still, Akeno has the best butt *runs*
Nah, best butt -> Koneko... not that she has anything else

Akeno is just the appetizer for the glorious comeback Seraphim@KoreZon

Quote:
That's exactly how I thought about Issei . Sure the aspiration is there, but is he really able to go through with it? There's been quite the number of male leads over the years who have had their wishes not lined up with their serious mode...

The thing that I primarily look at, is that this guy wants to be a king, and he wants to have female servants. Servants at his beck and call. This isn't the kind of harem where the girls fall for him, he wants to shoot to the top and use his status to get girls. And that's the part I have a hard time believing that this anime will show us. Seriously.... Akeno is the sadist, and no sadist plays the servant part in S&M play *runs*
Let get this straight, you guys support that Issei wants to be a slut, but is too timid and inexperienced ending up in an awkward monogamous relationship, struggling to fend off competition

Quote:
I can't even remember the last memorable time a male protag desired a harem and the story did not end up open-ended
School Days

incidentally by the same studio

Quote:
50+ eps.... as long as there is at least one scene where Akeno takes a shower, one bloody scene is all I ask, then yes, I think I would enjoy that much DxD eps.

Now for that many eps, you will need 4 or more different ED's. How do you top DxD's current ED? The girls in their pole dancing outfits singing a song and dancing? I say, if they could animate Divergence Eve's ED static scenes, I would definitely approve
50+ episodes realistic chances aside (since they are zero), split seasons work better keeping the sales alive for longer (e.g. KoreZon and Asura).
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 12:31   Link #978
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
... in my distorted imagination...

Nah, best butt -> Koneko... not that she has anything else

Akeno is just the appetizer for the glorious comeback Seraphim@KoreZon

Let get this straight, you guys support that Issei wants to be a slut, but is too timid and inexperienced ending up in an awkward monogamous relationship, struggling to fend off competition

School Days

incidentally by the same studio

50+ episodes realistic chances aside (since they are zero), split seasons work better keeping the sales alive for longer (e.g. KoreZon and Asura).
It's not exactly zero, since it really just depends on it's popularity, is it impossible to get 3 seasons, no since several animes have done it and more will continue to do it. Is it likely to get a second maybe not considering animes overall trend that really entirely depends on it's popularity, if it reaches any reasonably high level of popularity then it'll most probably get a second season and perhaps a third.
Old 2012-02-13, 14:07   Link #979
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

Honestly, I'd rather have a perverted male harem lead than a dense one.

Dense ones just get very annoying after a while to me and really tend to have no real excuse for it. The only way it's redeemable to me is if they were raised up a certain way to make them grow up like that (like Naruto, given he had no parents or guardians to teach him anything in any long periods) or something happened to them to make them that way. But if they're your supposed "normal" boy, then being SO dense about it just doesn't seem nearly as realistic as the perverted ones. Sure they may go a bit over the top with the perversion at times, but the general idea feels more realistic since how often does anyone NOT have a perverted thought, much less over-the-top ones?

*glares at a certain Senou Natsuru of Kampfer origins* T_T
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 14:16   Link #980
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
LOL i never thought of that but you are completely right.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen