AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-04, 08:05   Link #41
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
I highly respect your opinions as those from someone with very discerning tastes. However I do not immediately associate yuri / fanservice = = smut / guilty pleasure. When this anime was first announced, yes it was the girls and mecha premise that initially attracted me, however the shoujo-ish designs immediately gave that hint that this will be more than what I expected.

I don't know who the original intended audience for this show is, or who wrote the original story (since the manga will only come later). What I do know is never to dismiss something that takes effort with good production values and a classical music BGM (as well as ED by Savage Genius)...that's why I enjoyed Uta~kata for instance.
Well, I did not a make an opinion of this show beforehand, however, I know that many others did exactly that.

When this was first announced, I heard a plethora of voices (on many boards and blogs) saying something to the point of: "Oh, that's our token yuri show of the season".

I just wanted to point out that this is not a "yuri show" and it's anything but token.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 08:14   Link #42
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Wow...

Now, I know that a lot of you have written this off as a cute lesbians with mechas fanservice trash, and this is bound to produce a countless number of "ZOMG! Teh Yuri! posts, however, I must stress now that this show deserves.. no, demands respect and deeper, more careful look.

From the first look at it, Simoun is nothing short of simply amazing. The music is excellent, ranging from classic operatic pieces to Astor Piazolla-like deadly tango. The background art is simply gorgeous in it's static picturesque form, reminiscent of Shinkai's backgrounds and the BG art for Adolescense of Utena movie (the later more so, actually).

The morphing of 2D art and 3D objects is seamless and peerless. Even the recent Noein, which had excellent 2D/3D combination scenes would be hard-pressed to produce something as perfect-looking as this. Honestly, I am not overstating my case here, it is THAT good.

Those looking for yuri smut, honestly, Strawberry Panic would probably fit that bill much better. There are scenes that might seem like gratuitous yuri (yes, lots of kissing), but they actually manage to convey a boatload of conflicting emotion ranging from lust, friendship, comraderie, disgust, uneasyness...

In short, Simoun feels like it has a tremendous story to tell and it is giving us these juicy bits that promise quite a range of feeling.

Character designs look very "kawaii", which put me off for a second when I saw the trailer, but I felt like this is highly conceptualized as well. If you know the premise of the show (girls being kept artificially immature to pilot mechas in war), it seems like this is actually done on purpose and will have further plot attached to it, rather than just fanservice.

In any case, this is the best show of the season for me so far. I encourage all of you to check it out. If you like a great story with sweeping visuals of the type of Last Exile, you will appreciate Simoun.
WTH? I saw BluWacky praising this show on his blog and this time I couldn't believe him - after all, he actually finished watching Madlax (okay, so did I, but I deleted them all right off...) - but for you to say it's really good too...

Great, not another damn show to watch! First Suzumiya Haruhi and then this... well, nice to be surprised... guess I'll take a look at it, although I can't help but say watching yuri feels just a little strange to me Though if it's done well I can be fine with it.
Old 2006-04-04, 08:43   Link #43
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
WTH? I saw BluWacky praising this show on his blog and this time I couldn't believe him - after all, he actually finished watching Madlax (okay, so did I, but I deleted them all right off...) - but for you to say it's really good too...
Oi! I resemble that remark!

Madlax isn't actually a good series by any means, but I had a lot of fun watching it.

Quote:
Great, not another damn show to watch! First Suzumiya Haruhi and then this... well, nice to be surprised... guess I'll take a look at it, although I can't help but say watching yuri feels just a little strange to me Though if it's done well I can be fine with it.
My philosophy is to always try the first episode of everything. If it's good, then yay! If not, then I can slag it off mercilessly without feeling too guilty

What makes Simoun more interesting than most other yuri shows is that it's not about the yuri per se - take recent examples like Kannazuki no Miko, Maria-sama ga Miteru or even Strawberry Panic, and the focus of those shows is the girl-girl relationship. If that's what you're looking for, then that's fine, but Simoun comes across more like Utena (although Utena wasn't this blatant from the beginning except in the OP, perhaps) - yes, there are girls kissing and stuff, but that's actually secondary to the storyline (as far as I can tell).

Well, at least that's how it feels to me at the moment; I'm as surprised as you are that I like it, I didn't like any of the trailers much!

(if it makes any difference I hated Joushikousei and Strawberry Panic; sometimes I AM predictable )
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 08:48   Link #44
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
My philosophy is to always try the first episode of everything. If it's good, then yay! If not, then I can slag it off mercilessly without feeling too guilty
That's right! Of course, given more time, one should sample more in-depth into the series. But this mirrors real-life syndication of shows...the pilot episode essentially gives the premise / look / feel / pace and that's what sponsors have to either shoot more money at the thing or else give it the axe

I'm having a feeling that this is what Cluster Edge should have been (except with GL instead of BL). I'll give more comments later after I've actually watched the thing.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-04-04 at 09:27.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 08:58   Link #45
BiZz
God ?

It's my first gif, so it is a bad quality xD

BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 09:10   Link #46
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
I was actually really looking forward to this.. but now I am surprised, postively

An high quality anime; with interesting story, seiyuus, designs.. and, wtf, it's yuri.
That just rules.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 11:50   Link #47
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spring is the season for yuri, and Simoun has proved just outright.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 12:50   Link #48
BiZz
God ?

How many episodes are there for this anime ?
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 13:20   Link #49
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

Thumbs up

ok, that rocked. It probably would've rocked even without the previously shown kiss scenes, as, unlike certain other series lately, the main point of Simoun is apparently not girls kissing. Animation and backgrounds were quite good and plane/ship design was interesting.

The music choices were also rather interesting, particularly the tango bits. I'm not sure if I like it yet (though I like tango), but it certainly is a different approach.

Even more shockingly, in the first episode,
Spoiler:

Definitely a series to follow if they can keep this up.
vuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:49   Link #50
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yuri with possible depth (and some great character designs). Life, death and scientific magic. Not bad. The ships are amazing, but I really never like ship designs that don't make sense. I can't watch galactic railroad shows, and all the 19th-century-looking futurisms in shows like Last Exile bother me. Form should follow function. But leaving that aside, this is a visual feast. And "seamless" 2D/3D is right. Now I know what people were complaining about in noein. Not that I'm complaining about anything to do with noein, you understand.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 16:57   Link #51
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

wrex anime whirls blog has posted a full synopsis for episode one to better understand what happened.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 18:37   Link #52
lavielove

haven't watch it yet,but it seems like anime with high production value.will keep it and watch it on weekends or tonight since alot already made good reviews about it.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 22:18   Link #53
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

I'd give this episode a 8. I loved the blending of the CG and animation, and the character designs are so much better in action than they are on the static website (where they look pretty lame). Major points for a great kiss, plus a steller cast of seiyuu. I deducted points for semi-lame action... the whole 'drawing random patterns to kill people' concept seemed strange, but at least it was beautiful. I could go for a dogfight or two... but its only been one episode.

And as a final plus, not a single panty shot! Maybe the 'pantsu pantsu' crowd will go home?
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 02:40   Link #54
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
I came for the ZOMG YURI!!!1!, but I'm staying because this seems to be a pretty cool show. Expecially at the end, with the blonde girl who seemed to just be there to be cute...

"I came here to fight!"

Now, there's some badassery. Hopefully, she's not the only one with a hot-blooded soul. ^_^

The CG irks me, but I've come to accept that in anime nowadays... I REALLY prefer hand-drawn stuff, though.

And the music... it's really nice. The OP by See-Saw's Ishikawa and the ED by Savage Genius are very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
IAnd as a final plus, not a single panty shot! Maybe the 'pantsu pantsu' crowd will go home? :p
Well, there are a few girls running around in bike shorts, so I wouldn't be so sure. :p
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 02:50   Link #55
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
The terminology in this seems to be some sort of mix between random fantasy names and French. シムーン itself comes from the weather phenomenon and the name of a French aircraft employed during World War II, as mentioned before. コール could be perhaps 'colle' or 'coll', referring to either 'glue' or 'accompaniment/collection' I think. As for シヴュラ, could it possibly be a reference to Sibylla? Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh and lastly, I'm pretty sure 堕ちた -> おちた and not だちた. And yes, I do think it has connotations of falling from grace, as a fallen angel is a datenshi(堕天使)
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 08:35   Link #56
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
And as a final plus, not a single panty shot! Maybe the 'pantsu pantsu' crowd will go home?
See the tent I pitched yonder?

But seriously, this could be a very good war drama. The girls are just sauce (and pretty fine ones at that). I think the 2D/3D was done well, though not seemless. What I love most are the very artsy handpainted look on the 2D backgrounds, as if they were taken straight from an artbook.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 10:15   Link #57
lavielove

i like the way they sell the yuri anime =D but still quite early to compare with the last exile, the last exile started off quite badly and humbly build up the story-line.For the CG,that's a total show-off from studio deen indeed.For the yuri factor,Neviriru is really hot and not flat-chested, yay!!!!!

Simoun rushing off abit, this will make the anime seems to be slower in the next few episode.I just feel there is a few inspirations from a good mecha series that just ended.All in all this is one of the anime that shouldn't miss sob sob too good.. too short.

yuri and mecha rejoice in a themes party yay yay!!

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-04-05 at 10:25.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 11:38   Link #58
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
See the tent I pitched yonder?

But seriously, this could be a very good war drama. The girls are just sauce (and pretty fine ones at that). I think the 2D/3D was done well, though not seemless. What I love most are the very artsy handpainted look on the 2D backgrounds, as if they were taken straight from an artbook.
Ah... well then, enjoy the show.

As far as panty shots go, Nebiru's character design on the website involved her wearing two sort of half dresses (not sure of the word) that met at her navel. It looked pretty silly, I thought, but she has yet to wear in the anime. I was ready to hate her character, but she's been very enjoyable so far.

The two characters I didn't like too much were Floe and Rimone. I understand that the world is designed so that they look young, but they're 8 and 4 respectivly, which seems overkill. Floe also has an annoying voice. I don't remember Rimone ever actually talking, so I'll reserve judgement there.

Overall, I'm hooked!
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 05:21   Link #59
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
the whole 'drawing random patterns to kill people' concept seemed strange, but at least it was beautiful.
I don't claim to understand it, but I liked it a lot. Maybe that's because it reminded me of something in Mary Gentle's novel Rats and Gargoyles. In the fantasy world where the novel is set, architecture and magic combine in the idea that "patterns compel" - made in the correct measure and proportion, signs and symbols twist reality. Or to put it slightly more pretentiously, the microcosm doesn't just reflect the macrocosm but also vice-versa. I'm not saying there's any relationship between the book and the anime of course, but I can see how the idea might work.

As for dogfights,
Spoiler:

I should really wait for the subs before expressing an opinion, but what I've seen so far has fulfilled my high hopes for this series. I simply adore the OP theme, and also that opening shot as the camera tilts and pans across sea and sky. The gorgeous backgrounds are a lot like the art style of the manga, which is a pleasant surprise indeed.

Here's hoping the story lives up to its promise!

EDIT: Oh, and Aeru's crooked smile is just the cutest

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-06 at 06:30. Reason: Clarity? Yeah, I think I've heard of it...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 01:08   Link #60
Seska

I saw the first anime episode yesterday, and here are my impressions...

Spoiler:

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri