AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-08, 15:56   Link #521
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that's one way to go through a first battle. Pretty much killing off everyone she knows. Just a slow procession into the grave.

Maybe they should have lied about the life expectancy so some didn't get sloppy the moment they survived a little over 8 minutes .

Rough day for Yui no doubt. Thought the last girl to go might have made it through this, but oh well. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:17   Link #522
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
^ Those people are evacuees. They look back and stopped to witness the fall of their beloved capital.

Here's some info since the anime skipped some details about the invasion. Skip the tag if you want.

Spoiler for additional info about the invasion of Japan:
Ah, thanks. The pictures with Yui walking around showed an after-battle situation with survivors walking around a previously destroyed city. It seemed a tad strange that they were alive, all stop, as the BETAs should have kept advancing. But they were eventually driven off of Japan with new tech, I assume.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:18   Link #523
molitar

Is there going to be anymore plot than a body counter anime? So far everyone you get to know a little is dead in the second episode the first battle. How can you get to feel for any character when everyone dies immediately. If the entire anime is this despairing I definitely do not want to watch it there doesn't appear to be any hope at all.

In other anime's there is some hope but I see nothing but an anime of death and destruction like watching which I won't watch a Stephen King Horror that always has a bad ending.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:19   Link #524
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

That was very censored

But there is still a glimmer of hope since AT-X airs it in 3 days, they don't censor tits, so I hope they won't censor a decapitated head.

The mecha part wasn't so boring, but definitely reduces the impact of combat and storytelling for a few extra yen

Anyway, the needless introduction is finally over, and now the actual show can finally begin

PS: 9 discs, cool, the story has potential.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:28   Link #525
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Ah, thanks. The pictures with Yui walking around showed an after-battle situation with survivors walking around a previously destroyed city. It seemed a tad strange that they were alive, all stop, as the BETAs should have kept advancing. But they were eventually driven off of Japan with new tech, I assume.
Don't misunderstand.
Spoiler for Invasion:

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-07-08 at 16:51.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:58   Link #526
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Spoiler for Episode 2:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:28   Link #527
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Images
Takemi
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Well, the Takemikazuchi is rather iconic for the franchise like how the RX-78 is for the Gundam. The hype that was built up through out the novels also contributed to that as well. Design-wise, it's hard not to like it.

In any case, I'm actually glad they added these two anime original episodes. It shows just how serious and edgy the battle against BETA is like instead of saving it for later.
Old 2012-07-08, 17:33   Link #528
YaminoSeigi

The 2nd episode makes Total Eclipse anime looks more like Muvluv series now as despair are joining the ride! couple of nice cameos for those who read the Alternative and Type 00-R is probably the highlight of this episode.

my expression of this episode is just like F-14D below

Old 2012-07-08, 17:42   Link #529
SonicSpeed

Dam first wave remind of Zerg Rush....
SonicSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:54   Link #530
YF19EX

Now this is a serious mecha show I have not seen in a long time. I think the last i remember seeing a mecha show this messy was in the original Macross Movie and Macross II with people getting impaled or crushed in their Mecha.

Even though the animation budget is not high when it comes to the 2D portion the 3D mecha combat is well done. Yui has 3 years since the time skip so I assume she should be an extensive combat veteran by now. I am looking forward to the primary characters for the series and her interactions with our new male protagonist.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:56   Link #531
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Were also very susceptible to mines. A very basic tactic lost on militaries in Muv Luv.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:22   Link #532
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

ugh... well this is embarrassing... Forget what I said about the Takemikazuchi and its pilot. It was blue so I immediately thought it was someone else...

Directly from Kouki's tweeter. Forgive me for the rough translation

Spoiler for Type-00R Takemikazuchi:

Oh my god... She truly is very skilled as an Eishi.

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-07-08 at 18:47.
Old 2012-07-08, 18:26   Link #533
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Were also very susceptible to mines. A very basic tactic lost on militaries in Muv Luv.
Though it isn't shown here, they do normally travel for long distances underground. They normally pop up where you least expect them and swarm. A few times having them come up where the mines are in their retreat vector taught them not to count on mines.

That is not to say it isn't being used where the natural terrain or when there is an installation to be protected.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:33   Link #534
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
ugh... well this is embarrassing... Forget what I said about the Takemikazuchi and its pilot. It was blue so I immediately though it was someone else...

Directly from Kouki's tweeter. Forgive me for the rough translation

Spoiler for Type-00R Takemikazuchi:

Good info. No need to be embarrassed, its after the fact info. So the pilot is possibly Yuuhi or one of the 5 houses members.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:40   Link #535
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Though it isn't shown here, they do normally travel for long distances underground. They normally pop up where you least expect them and swarm. A few times having them come up where the mines are in their retreat vector taught them not to count on mines.

That is not to say it isn't being used where the natural terrain or when there is an installation to be protected.
The tactics of the BETA share a LOT of similarities with the zerg swarms from Starcraft, I can't help but wonder if they played a impact in the BETA's original design.

Those destroyer-class BETA remind me of Roaches, the Fort-class ultralisks, the tank-class zerglings, etc.... Just hope the BETA don't come up with anything airborne like Brood Lords or Mutalisks, in that case, humanity is finished .
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:52   Link #536
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Yeah, I seen that scene.

It seems like they're losing the battle/war (or are they winning but with great losses). Unless their superior changes his strategy the current one would be useless soon.

Since they live in the future... aren't artillery have advance as well? Just use air weaponry and artillery bombardment then followed by mechas to do the clearing... Maximized the use of Tomahawks ands TSAR bombs...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:58   Link #537
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod

I wrote a thing about a thing.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 19:08   Link #538
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Yeah, I seen that scene.
Just use air weaponry and artillery bombardment then followed by mechas to do the clearing... Maximized the use of Tomahawks ands TSAR bombs...
They've been using those as well actually, but it's not enough to stop the enemy on their tracks. The amount of supplies are limited, they'll eventually run out of artillery shells while the enemy just keeps on charging and relying on their numbers. Also, do not forget the abomination known as the laser class. The other nations used nuclear bombs too, but it didn't really change the tide of battle. Heck, the laser class can shoot those things down from afar anyway.
Old 2012-07-08, 19:20   Link #539
novalysis

Yes. The laser class. Without it, most of Yui's flight might actually have made it - it seems that a high proportion of the casualties were caused by Laser Classes.

It's a very strong second Episode, though there were some pricelessly silly moments, like the I survive Eight Minutes!, which I think should be a meme, since it's really, really stupid- though I suppose on the Battlefield, sanity diminishes quite abit.

Again, two main issues are pacing (yes, things are fast, but it feels like I am seeing an abridged series- not that it's a bad thing, necessarily) and animation, which was quite shoddy, there were some still shots, etc.

But if Episode 2 message was meant to emphasize the bleakness of the whole world, it's done it's job by slaughtering all the Red Shirts that Episode 1 built up. 8/10.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 19:22   Link #540
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Its hard to think that lasers are far better than a bomb that has a blast yeild of 50 megatons of TNT. What does that aliens have that atomic bombs has little effect while 200mm bullets can?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen