AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-09-23, 21:50   Link #1
Puddingman

I want your opinion about watching anime

Hey everyone, my name is Matt, I'm new to the board and sort of new to anime. I've seen a few anime and I have my favorites, now I'm starting to watch it more regularly and explore newer and different kinds of series.

However, I'm a bit worried about "over exploring", watching so many different things that I delude the special feelings my favorites give me. Is this even possible?

What are your experiences on this issues and how do you pace yourself in watching an anime?

I recently finished Soul Eater, and afterwards I felt like I had broken up with it or something , I def wanna avoid that in most cases.

What do y'all think?
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 22:02   Link #2
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yup, I watched way too many good anime way too quickly and burnt out more or less. I watched an abnormal amount between 2004-2006, hunting down every series people considered to be good or great from any genre I had minor interest in. Pace yourself and watch the masterpieces more slowly than I did.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 22:07   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. if you're new to anime - you have such a long "to do" queue I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I'll say is don't watch too much in one genre, that will burn you out (too many 'choose the girl', too many 'mecha', too many ... well you get the idea). Try a variety of things (Spice&Wolf, Sketchbook ~Full Colors, REC, Youkai Otome Zakuro, Toradora!, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya, Moribito, Katanagatari, etc).
Old 2011-09-23, 22:16   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
Hey everyone, my name is Matt, I'm new to the board and sort of new to anime. I've seen a few anime and I have my favorites, now I'm starting to watch it more regularly and explore newer and different kinds of series.
Welcome to Animesuki. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Quote:
However, I'm a bit worried about "over exploring", watching so many different things that I delude the special feelings my favorites give me. Is this even possible?
Your use of the word 'delude' confuses me. How can the feelings for your favorite anime become misled after you see them? Perhaps you mean the word 'dilute'? Assuming that is what you mean, I can understand your situation. Some anime don't feel quite as 'special' after I've seen a lot of similar anime. But in my opinion, it shouldn't be something to be scared about. If you really like the anime medium, then it would be best to explore it as much as you please, then you will know which anime are the best and which aren't quite as good as you thought they were. No such thing as over-exploring. Of course, as ChainLegacy said, it's good if you don't watch too many at the same time. If I were you, I'd just watch one anime at a time to keep myself focused on one set of characters and story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. if you're new to anime - you have such a long "to do" queue I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I'll say is don't watch too much in one genre, that will burn you out (too many 'choose the girl', too many 'mecha', too many ... well you get the idea). Try a variety of things (Spice&Wolf, Sketchbook ~Full Colors, REC, Youkai Otome Zakuro, Toradora!, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya, Moribito, Katanagatari, etc).
This. Taste the rainbow.

Edit: I must say, this thread could have used a more concrete title.

Last edited by Tempester; 2011-09-23 at 22:27.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 22:35   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Your use of the word 'delude' confuses me.
I think they meant to say "dilute"

Quote:
Edit: I must say, this thread could have used a more concrete title.
A common problem with many people who are new (or haven't really caught on to how threads are titled).
Old 2011-09-23, 22:47   Link #6
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I completely agree with this pretty much
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 23:00   Link #7
Puddingman

Alrighty, thanks for your time and thoughts everybody!
Old 2011-09-23, 23:41   Link #8
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Well, a good way to start out is to give all genres a chance and watch 1 or 2 series of that genre, you may be pleasantly surprised that some genres which were once thought as boring or dull may be 'your cup of tea'.

After roughly knowing the genre type that you like, watch more series of that particular genre, but do occasionally give 'chances' to other types for variety's sake. For as dear Vexx has said, too much of a single genre will lose its flavour fast.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 01:05   Link #9
Hollowgolem

The feeling you had at the end of Soul Eater is actually a good thing. It's a kind of catharsis that I personally also feel with a good piece of art (anime, movie, etc.). It seems to mean a level of connection with the characters and universe, and genuine sorrow that you can't follow their story anymore, almost as though they've died.

As for your particular problem, one thing that I found eased me into anime as a newer watcher was watching with and exploring with friends, turning anime into a social event. If your friends are royal pains, this can backfire, but with a good social circle, it helps get past some of the conventions with which you may not be familiar, and which may bother you at first. You have a sort of distractor so you don't have to focus on the distasteful element so much all at once.

Anyway, enjoy your time as a consumer, and as a member here!
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 11:33   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Don't forget to add the great anime classics from yesteryear into your "to watch" list (if you can find them that is). This will help establish a good foundation for your anime appreciation.
Old 2011-09-24, 21:25   Link #11
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Cant get enough cant watch enough all one got to do to not burn them self out on anime is watch different genre
Old 2011-09-24, 22:20   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
I recently finished Soul Eater, and afterwards I felt like I had broken up with it or something , I def wanna avoid that in most cases.

What do y'all think?
Oh, the common "anime depression" feeling after completing a series. What a nice syndrome, isn't it?

It's common because when we watch something that's good. Often times, we get "attached" to a series emotionally. But when it's over... bam... it's over.

So, how to deal with it? Get on to another series. Since you're NEW at this point... there are so so so many series that you haven't even covered yet.

Also, welcome to anime, n00b. XD
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 22:32   Link #13
Puddingman

Quote:
Oh, the common "anime depression" feeling after completing a series. What a nice syndrome, isn't it?
Haha yea!It's kinda tough, but I sorta like it too. I like having a chance to absorb the show, certain vibes and stuff. I remember when I finished FLCL, it made me pay more attention to the time of day right before sunset, because I felt like that anime had a lot of scenes during that time (where everything had a yellow glow).

Quote:
Also, welcome to anime, n00b. XD
Haha thanks!
Old 2011-09-24, 22:33   Link #14
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

It's good to feel depression after an anime ends. It only means you're yearning for more. Anime has quite a lot of genres to choose from and I'm sure it will take QUITE a long time before you even feel burnt out.
Old 2011-09-24, 22:40   Link #15
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

And it also means that not everything in anime recently is meh (for example, Ikoku Meiro no Croisče.) Just don't rush it, Puddingman; just pick what you think is interesting for the meantime and take your time. Don't think that you have a very huge backlog, because if you do enjoy watching anime, that backlog will go away faster than you expect.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 08:37   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I started watching anime around 2006 after seeing Mononoke Hime with my daughter. I had no idea which shows to try, so I turned to lists based on viewer ratings at places like AniDB and ANN. Everyone's ratings vary, of course, but having browsed these lists again, I'd say they provide a good starting point and a wide variety of genres.

(PS: If you move your mouse over the portaits below, you'll see some of my favorites. Be warned, though, that they link to Wikipedia entries which usually contain spoilers. You're better off with the brief descriptions at ANN or AniDB, or with the threads for those shows here at AnimeSuki.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 09:48   Link #17
mechdra

I understand that feeling as well when Mospeda ended in my country national TV.

I believe it is up to you what you want to watch. For me, I prefer anime that is still young and can be followed. When I first started seriously watching anime back in 2005, Bleach is my selection because it is still new back then. Also choose those that is popular like those listed in the forum.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 12:20   Link #18
Puddingman

Cool cool! Thanks for the resources and ideas, def gonna check out that list Sensei!
Old 2011-09-26, 03:12   Link #19
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I never understood how can you '' burn out '' from watching anime, or '' grow out '' of it as some claim. Anime is just after all, one form of entertainment. I've watched ~250+ series ever since I got into anime and I'm not feeling this '' burning out ''. Sure enough, some series that now released will be skipped automatically cause I've seen this setup already so many times, but once in a while a pure gem comes out and it will become very special for me. Even though I watch many other series aside from it, they all are entertaining, with the special one just being even more enjoyable than the others.

Of course, people are different but my suggestion is just to go out there on ANN/Anidb/MAL/anywhere else, find interesting series and then watch them. When I started out I just downloaded almost anything anime related I saw, and it took couple years to get where I am now when I am more picky about what I watch and have genres that I like and dislike.
Old 2011-09-26, 08:13   Link #20
mecharobot

You'll run out of the high profile stuff eventually, but there is usually always something left to watch if you're willing to give things a chance. All I can say that when watching different genres of anime, try to change your viewpoint to fit what you're watching. Different genres simply can't be watched and enjoyed with the same eye.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote