AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 01:38   Link #241
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazywrath View Post
I have this .mp4 file which i downloaded off from youtube, but i want to put it into my powerpoint presentation, which i believe only takes .avi files (stupid microsoft..)
Use WMV, it works a lot better than any other video format in powerpoint. Grab windows media encoder and use that, which means you can totally avoid avisynth (probably...).
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 03:16   Link #242
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazywrath View Post
heyy, i've got another question for you smart lot again xD

I have this .mp4 file which i downloaded off from youtube, but i want to put it into my powerpoint presentation, which i believe only takes .avi files (stupid microsoft..)

In my AVS file, i have:
Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\mar_adentro.mp4", audio=true)
Trim(1517,1934)
Yes it's simple, but firstly, i'm not sure if i REALLY need to change to a mod16 resolution. So i'm not sure which resizer to use if that's the case.

I get an error though whenever i try encoding the video into AVI using meGUI, so what could be the problem?
Why are you using meGUI for AVI? Why are you using trim's with DSS, when DSS is not frame accurate? (DSS2 and ffms2 are) And like checkers said, load the vid into WME and use that, powerpoint handles wmv much better than AVI. AVI support depends on the codec as much as the container, so h264 in AVI is going to kill powerpoint for example. It's youtube so all CFR and perfectly fine to do a flat off transcode in WME, and then just trim it in vdub or something.

When it comes to resizing, generally one of the spline or lanczos filters are the best, every encoder has their own preferance as a default (mine is spline36) but read up on the different filters and how the 'numbers' effect sharpness. If you're going for a wmv transcode though, resizing isn't really needed.

E~

Last edited by Emess; 2009-01-26 at 03:19. Reason: forgot something~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 20:34   Link #243
krazywrath

EDIT: nvmm, it's working! thanks for both ur help!

Last edited by krazywrath; 2009-01-28 at 00:10.
krazywrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 18:55   Link #244
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zergrinch Send a message via Yahoo to Zergrinch
I am encoding using AviSynth with meGUI, using two filters said to work well with anime. I used the preset x264: DVXA-SD-Anime_Toons HQ.

My AVS script looks like this:

DirectShowSource("E:\Cooking Master boy\OP ED\[Cooking.Master.Boy][ED3][DVDRip][XviD.MP3](D001A18B).avi", fps=23.976, audio=true)
toon()
deen()

The problem is, the results I'm getting from encoding does not match the preview I get when I load it into meGUI. It's as if the filters aren't being applied at all.

Let me illustrate:

This is the original video
Spoiler:
This is the preview, which has the effect I wanted to achieve.
Spoiler:
This is the encode, which pretty much looks like the original.
Spoiler:

What should I do?
Zergrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 20:07   Link #245
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
What should I do?
Use more bitrate.
(Apart from that I personally prefer the original unfiltered look, the filtering oversharpens IMO. And sharpness eats bitrate for breakfast.)

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 21:03   Link #246
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Unfortunately, yanking up the bitrate by a factor of 10 (to 10,000) did not make a difference.
Old 2009-02-07, 21:44   Link #247
martino
makes no files now

Share your x264(?) settings.

Also, it will never look like the preview, unless you use the lossless mode.
Old 2009-02-07, 21:49   Link #248
Zergrinch
Fansubber

This is the DXVA-SD Anime_Toons HQ preset that I was using. It is indeed x264.

program --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --level 3.1 --ref 8 --mixed-refs --bframes 3 --b-adapt 2 --direct auto --deblock 1:1 --subme 7 --trellis 2 --psy-rd 0.6:0 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --vbv-bufsize 14000 --vbv-maxrate 17500 --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --aq-mode 0 --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "output" "input"

In the last picture I posted, I set bitrate to 10000.

I tested other filters in AviSynth that flip video horizontally, vertically, and play it in reverse. It works just as previewed. I have no idea why the AviSynth preview does not match the desired effects for the external filters (deen and toon).
Old 2009-02-07, 21:57   Link #249
martino
makes no files now

Some notes on the settings:
1) You could raise bframes, even to 16 (but something like 7-12 might be a sweet spot)
2) Raising reference frames to 10-12 wouldn't hurt either
3) subme 8 is a good idea too
4) Turning on aq might help, but always check with your own eyes
5) --partitions all
Oh wait... do you really need DXVA compatibility (I get the feeling that doing the above is bound to break it in some way...)? :/

I'm not really sure what the problem could be with the second mentioned thing. I would suggest opening the script in a proper program, like VirtualDub or AvsP, to see whether it actually works. I myself haven't used MeGUI for ages now, so can't tell you whether it could be a bug or is just a matter of "you're doing it wrong". Maybe somebody else will be able to help you more in this matter.
Old 2009-02-07, 23:22   Link #250
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

--b-adapt 2 and --bframes 16 isn't really a good idea unless you like waiting forever.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 23:28   Link #251
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
I am encoding using AviSynth with meGUI, using two filters said to work well with anime.
Whoever said that was extremely out of date. Try instead:
dfttest(sigma=0.4)
limitedsharpenfaster(strength=30)
Old 2009-02-08, 05:40   Link #252
Zergrinch
Fansubber

@daiz:
Thanks for your recommendations. I'm afraid most of those settings is greek to me, which is precisely why I was using presets to begin with .

@checkers:
I do believe it was "said" circa 2004 or 2005 Those two functions took a lot of tracking down of filters and scripts. Avisynth at its current is sure unfriendly to noobs like me! At any rate, I will try one last time with meGUI, using the script settings you recommended.

I used a preset called "Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons HQ". I didn't know what DVXA meant, actually, and was just doing it based on the default recommendations on the Doom9 forum. For your reference, the command line was:

program --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --ref 8 --mixed-refs --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --direct auto --deblock 1:1 --subme 7 --trellis 2 --psy-rd 0.6:0 --partitions all --8x8dct --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --aq-mode 0 --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "output" "input"

Spoiler for The preview looks like this::

Spoiler for The encoded file looks like this::

Which plainly shows that the external filters aren't having any effect.

Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, or meGUI is doing this the wrong way. In any case, I'd like to test this with Virtualdub and see if avisynth is to blame. Could anyone possibly point me to a tutorial where AviSynth is used in conjunction with Virtualdub, as I have never done that before.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 2009-02-08, 06:11   Link #253
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

the problem is probably your renderer. I'm guessing that MPC is using something that works in a retarded way on your system (read: VMR*). Try changing it.
Old 2009-02-08, 06:30   Link #254
Zergrinch
Fansubber

That worked.

I've been watching movies that look washed out and retarded all this time.

Thanks a bunch, checkers!
Old 2009-02-08, 07:07   Link #255
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

I want to burn an animated logo into a video file. My first problem is that when I open this script in VirtualDub (for testing purposes, I actually encode my videos in H.264 with MeGUI):

video = DirectShowSource("opening.avi").ConvertToRGB32
logo = ImageSource("%04d.png", start=1, end=9, fps=2,pixel_type = "rgb32")
logo = ChangeFPS(logo, 29)
Layer(video, logo, x=600, y=0)

And I see the video opening, and the logo displays, but it only shows one image from the sequence. The images are from 0001.png to 0009.png (will increase in number as I use those 9 images just for testing).

I am converting to RGB32 because the logo requires some transparency areas, so there will be no problem converting it back to YV12 (by the way, does it affect the video size if the video is in RGB32?) in VirtualDub, but what about MeGui, where I cannot do this, should I put an ConvertToYV12() at the bottom of the script? Will this affect the transparency of the logo?

Thank-you in advance
andy_blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 09:42   Link #256
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_blah View Post
I am converting to RGB32 because the logo requires some transparency areas
layer()/overlay() does not require the overlay and the base video to be the same colorspace, everything is converted to an internal intermediate format anyway, so no need to go yv12->rgb32->yv12

Quote:
(by the way, does it affect the video size if the video is in RGB32?)
if by size you mean resolution then no; if you by size mean size in megabytes then yes, but only in memory, not when encoded, because no mpeg4 codec supports rgb32, it's always converted to some yuv variant (usually yv12) before encoding

Quote:
should I put an ConvertToYV12() at the bottom of the script?
no, you should never convert the base video to rgb32 to begin with so it shouldn't be necessary

Quote:
Will this affect the transparency of the logo?
no
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 11:17   Link #257
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Thank-you for the anwsers. But now, can somebody help me with my logo issue?

EDIT: Removed the .ConvertToRGB32, but now it says that image formats don't match

Last edited by andy_blah; 2009-02-08 at 14:31.
Old 2009-02-11, 10:56   Link #258
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Started a thread of Doom9, and got it fixed, for anybody interested: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1248185

Also, was wondering if I can fix those "ghosts" in some of my videos, apparently the video was poorly encoded (not by me), and I don't have the source DVD or whatever

Here is an example:
Spoiler for :

Also, what should I do to fix those bouncing up and down videos? (they quite appear on older anime shows)

This next shot from another video file shows that the video is a little bit fuzzy, any suggestions to improve sharpness? Also, any other suggestions? (just to improve the quality of the video)

Spoiler for :
Old 2009-02-11, 12:26   Link #259
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Also, was wondering if I can fix those "ghosts" in some of my videos, apparently the video was poorly encoded (not by me), and I don't have the source DVD or whatever
Though luck, it may be near impossible to restore it when you don't have the original. You might want to take a look at some of the scripts/filters here and do some trial and error to see what you can get out of it.

Quote:
Also, what should I do to fix those bouncing up and down videos? (they quite appear on older anime shows)
Stab() does a decent job.

Quote:
This next shot from another video file shows that the video is a little bit fuzzy, any suggestions to improve sharpness?
It looks sharp enough to me, actually even too sharp, but that is often subjective. If you really want to sharpen take a look at the WarpSharp package, and LimitedSharpenFaster which people seem to praise quite a lot.
Old 2009-02-12, 10:20   Link #260
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Thank you for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
You might want to take a look at some of the scripts/filters here and do some trial and error to see what you can get out of it.
Tried some of those, and none seem to do anything to it, some don't even work properly (for example on one plugin, introduced the default arguments written by the author and Avisynth kept on complaining that the arguments are invalid @.@

Quote:
Stab() does a decent job.
Thank you for suggesting that one, it does the job very well, it's only drawback is that I have to crop ^_^

Quote:
It looks sharp enough to me, actually even too sharp, but that is often subjective. If you really want to sharpen take a look at the WarpSharp package, and LimitedSharpenFaster which people seem to praise quite a lot.
It seems that sharpening it didn't help solving the problem. If you would take a closer look to the two girls, at their sweat drops more precisely, you can see that the image is quite fuzzy in that area, and in other places it is too sharp, also, the colours seem to be wrong, any suggestions?