AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 18:37   Link #281
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
A naked Japanese dude with pistol in front of White House, post 9/11. Wow.
Old 2009-04-14, 19:48   Link #282
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

broadcast time

I said 24 hours because I mistakenly thought it was already Wednesday here in North America. Getting ahead of myself.

The show's first airing is on Thursday night at 1 am this week (normal time 12:45am). This is called Thursday at 25:00 in Japanese TV listings. It's on Fuji Television.

Here are the times of the first episode broadcast on other stations:

Kansai TV 14 April (Tues) at 25:35
Tokai TV 16 April (Thu) at 26:05
TV Nishi Nihon (TNC) 22 Apr (Wed) at 26:15
Niigata TV (NST) 23 April (Thu) at 25:55

Time now in Japan is Wednesday just before ten a.m. So we actually have about 39 hours before it starts.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:43   Link #283
Haydee

Can anyone help me understanding the ED song?
There are some phrases I didn't understand at all... @_@
Haydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 15:33   Link #284
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Early in this thread, people commented how young-looking Saki is for her age (22). The same thing was said about Hagu in Honey & Clover.

I think I have discovered why Umino Chika draws certain characters that way: they are idealized versions of how she looked herself when she was that age.

Umino-sensei avoids having her photo taken. She usually substitutes her mascot character, a little stuffed bear called Kuma-chan. But I did find one photo of her, taken for an interview, with the interviewers. Next to that is Kuma-chan:

For one thing, you can see a reason why she doesn't like to be photographed: she is not either a stunning beauty or a mature-looking businesswoman. More a dumpy and nervous-looking artist/author.

But that round face and short stature probably made her seem young when she was in college. Like Hagu and Saki:

I'm not sure how old Umino-sensei is. She keeps that out of the press, too. Her first published work was around the year 2000, apparently, but she worked in a design house before that.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:11   Link #285
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Woah, author avatar much? The round face, wide smile... Oh well, it just adds that much more cuteness to Hagu (and Saki too).
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 11:29   Link #286
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I saw the scene in the trailer, but to see it in full context, all I can say is DAAAAAAMN.

What a freaking cliffhanger ><;;;
7 more days~~~

I got chills, kinda all giddy now. xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 12:06   Link #287
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

...Yawnsies.

Higashi no Eden episode 02(tentative)
Spoiler for 2chan thread for Eden of the East episode 02 (tentative):
GUIDELINES / RULES:
- Do NOT spread the 2chan link.
- If you want to quote my post, then please ERASE THE URL.
- If you want to (re)post screenshots from 2chan, then reload them on Imageshack and kindly supply the new links. In other words, do NOT hotlink. Why? It's simple: when the short-lived 2chan threads get junked along with their contents (aka screencaps), the broken urls automatically lead the user to a pageful of adult advertisements, a category of content outlawed by Animesuki's policy on inappropriate material.

Forewarning:
I'll erase the URL in a few hours (at least until the first raw or blog entry appears you-know-where) so, if you want to visit the page later on, save my link somewhere (in your bookmarks or notepad...whatever) while it's still up.

EDIT: link removed. Please acquire the raw(s) instead.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-04-17 at 00:36. Reason: 2chan link removal.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 12:25   Link #288
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Seems like a lot of stuff we saw in the trailer is in episode 2. Can't wait for a sub.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 12:41   Link #289
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Oh god an anime that takes place (at least initially) in America. I hope we get to hear some epic engrish!!!

/hasn't watched any of it yet
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 12:52   Link #290
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
Oh god an anime that takes place (at least initially) in America. I hope we get to hear some epic engrish!!!

there isn't any engrish here, just english

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 13:32   Link #291
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post

Okay, you might want to sit down for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
there isn't any engrish here, just english
xD beat me to it. By like... 40 mins.
Old 2009-04-16, 13:51   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This show is almost certainly the most interesting work to come out this season and I'm sure it's in no small part thanks to the fact that it is an original in house produced series, but there is just one problem. Like most Production I.G works I absolutely cannot stand the character design. Especially Saki's. I'm not against experimental and unorthodox characters designs (I liked Casshern Sins designs for example) and in fact encourage them, but this is just.....wow......I don't even know how to put it.

Great opening and intriguing story premise though.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 14:02   Link #293
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm quite impressed with this show. Really amusing interesting story and characters. as well we actually have fluent English XD
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 16:08   Link #294
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

And the beat goes on.
Spoiler for ep2:
It should come as no surprise that I love the character design, including Saki. For me, that is not the problem with Production IG shows. Their problem has been slow and impactless story development, for me.
Old 2009-04-16, 16:31   Link #295
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And the beat goes on.
Spoiler for ep2:
It should come as no surprise that I love the character design, including Saki. For me, that is not the problem with Production IG shows. Their problem has been slow and impactless story development, for me.
Well the way out of the character design choice being unappealing for me lies in whether this show actually does turn out to be a superflat piece, which seems like it may actually be a possibility with all the focus on Japan's decay in this shows continuity over the years and how Saki sees the White House as symbolic of the centre of the world. Not to mention how both Akira and Saki appear have been born in the last year of the Showa era, which is seen as the big cultural gap and the last tie Japan had to the old imperial ways in certain circles. It's like they are teetering on the edge between the old ways of Japanese nationalistic pride and the new ways of deference to American will and it even comes through in some of the actions they take in the first episode and their passive aggressive ways out of being chased by the cops.

We'll see, but so far it isn't clear if Saki's fetishized yet distorted character design (lolifying a 22 year old, and having her display both idealized/submissive/childish and measured/sensible/mature traits)is meant to be a parody of her being caught in Japanese cultural limbo or if the cards just sort of fell that way and it's moe pandering to get otaku to watch the show.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 16:52   Link #296
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

We'll see, but so far it isn't clear if Saki's fetishized yet distorted character design (lolifying a 22 year old, and having her display both idealized/submissive/childish and measured/sensible/mature traits)is meant to be a parody of her being caught in Japanese cultural limbo or if the cards just sort of fell that way and it's moe pandering to get otaku to watch the show.
I hardly see Chika's designs as fetishized. Plus this show is airing in a timeslot made for REGULAR tv viewers not otaku (nor fujoshi for that matter). So I don't think there is much to worry about.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 17:27   Link #297
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And the beat goes on.
Spoiler for ep2:
It wasn't magical, nor that mysterious either
Spoiler for ep2:

Quote:
noitaminA doesn't target the Otaku, so that's not what they're aiming for. Besides, these designs are pretty similar to those from Honey and Clover, which was adapted from a Josei manga (female-oriented manga) and was the first anime premiered in noitaminA. With this series, they're just doing what they always do: targeting a non-otaku adult audience, with a special care for their female audience.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-04-16 at 17:45.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 17:36   Link #298
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Well the way out of the character design choice being unappealing for me lies in whether this show actually does turn out to be a superflat piece, which seems like it may actually be a possibility with all the focus on Japan's decay in this shows continuity over the years and how Saki sees the White House as symbolic of the centre of the world. Not to mention how both Akira and Saki appear have been born in the last year of the Showa era, which is seen as the big cultural gap and the last tie Japan had to the old imperial ways in certain circles. It's like they are teetering on the edge between the old ways of Japanese nationalistic pride and the new ways of deference to American will and it even comes through in some of the actions they take in the first episode and their passive aggressive ways out of being chased by the cops.

1. I'm betraying my ignorance, but I don't understand the thing about superflat, which I thought was a style of animation.

2. I think you're right that they are saying something with the birthdates of Saki and others in the show, but I'm still not sure what. By the way, I think the old way is deference to America, and the new way is nationalistic pride, but we'll see how this show plays that aspect.

3. Your explanation of the charades as catering to an audience (you use the expression "moe pandering") is reasonable, and probably part of the truth. But it is also true, as I posted earlier (and others have just posted), that Umino Chika -- a woman who writes manga considered josei -- has a tendency to draw some female characters this way. I feel it as showing the female side of the contradiction between child and adult from the inside: one doesn't quite feel capable, but one can still take bold action in the adult world, especially to follow one's desires. Remember that this show is in the Noitamina timeslot, which has a high female viewership.

I find the tension in the contrast between the voice and character design on the one hand and Saki's boldness on the other to be one of the attractions of this show. I see it less as parody than as psychological reality. There are lots of male characters -- Morita and Akira for two -- who show similar contradictions in other ways.

And thanks to Kazu-kun for the spoilered explanation. I was wondering what the significance of that car was.
Old 2009-04-16, 18:13   Link #299
kari-no-sugata

Just watched ep 2. I think I enjoyed that more than ep 1...

I particularly enjoyed the boat scene... though they almost dragged it too long.

How I find Akira's and Saki's personalities hasn't changed since ep 1. To me, Saki seems fairly normal - there doesn't seem to be any especially unusual parts of her personality. She seems to be a bit of a romantic (in the general sense), and has a bit of a broader outlook than most. She also seems more empathetic than most people. While she has somewhat left her childhood behind she's not yet fully adult - sometimes she shows a more mature side and sometimes she shows a more childish side. I wonder if she's had a boyfriend before - doesn't feel like it, unless it was quite a long time ago. She's been mostly pretty happy but doesn't seem to have a strong goal in life.

Akira's organisation is still quite a mystery. After the first ep, I wondered if they were like "lawful neutral" (from viewer's perspective) but more like "lawful good" from their own perspective. But now I'm not so sure. You certainly have to wonder about an organisation that
Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2009-04-16, 18:36   Link #300
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the english was the best part. it didn't make my ears bleed like Regios!!

for some reason, this show feels really "fresh" to me. gave me a feeling while watching that i haven't gotten since i first watched Rideback.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller