Notices

Old 2011-05-14, 14:09   Link #261
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well I didn't particularly like K-on! and Lucky Star, lol... but I loved Ichigo Mashimaro, which was the anime that started it all I think. I guess I'm a bit disappointed in this anime because I was expecting more after the first episode... and instead it seems to have backed off. (starts off with Tooru running around with a bat and just seemed generally more crazy and humorous... and more yuri subtext!)
I actually can't think of an anime being close to Ichigo Mashimaro, many are similar in their concept, but IM has a "fifth element" the other series don't have: someone actually watching over the main characters, other than being part of their daily adventures. In K-On , Lucky Star and A Channel such a character doesn't exist. They have friends, but no one is watching over them. It's also part of the very premise because in IM they're elementary students, in the other series we have high school girls, but even in Mitsudomoe or Kyou no Go no Ni the protagonists are kid yet they don't have a caretaker of sort.

With this being said, I'm pretty much in love with the approach taken by A Channel. The atmosphere is always kind of warm and fuzzy, each character has her own distinguished whimsicalness and you can feel the closeness between the four friends, especially now that Tooru has opened a bit more towards Yuuko.
The interactions between the girls are cute, so are their actions (whichever they are), the characters are sympathetic. This, combined with a fresh, colourful and exquisite design of characters and backgrounds, makes for a fully enjoyable experience.
This is one of those few comedies (approximately not more than 2-3 per years) where I feel the need to rewatch any single episode at least once, to take another ride even if I already know the direction.
Old 2011-05-16, 22:42   Link #262
Miraluka
Banned

Watched the last episode, wow, the fire scene was really amusing to see .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 08:18   Link #263
Sparvid
*hic*

I'm with Run on the "hot drinks shouldn't be sold in the summer"-front, to avoid mistaken purchases!
Not that it has happened to me or anything...
Old 2011-05-19, 13:31   Link #264
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for A Channel 07 - A/V Channel:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 13:34   Link #265
Miraluka
Banned

Spoiler for Darker than Black reference?:
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 02:47   Link #266
Raiga
tl;dr

Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2011-05-20, 13:35   Link #267
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Spoiler:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 13:53   Link #268
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 7:
Old 2011-05-20, 19:34   Link #269
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Spoiler for episode 7:
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 00:03   Link #270
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Spoiler for episode 7:
In case anyone's curious, it's called "katanuki" in Japanese. Apparently it can also be played with cardboard, but they were using pieces of sugar candy in this episode.

You can read more on katanuki (and buy your own!) right here.
Old 2011-05-21, 06:51   Link #271
Kagayaki

for some reason, this was the only thing I could think of the entire candy cutting scene...
Old 2011-05-21, 07:51   Link #272
Peanutbutter

How many songs will there be in this series?

For all the different songs, none are particularly memorable. Nagi's Enka song here may just pique my interest.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:04   Link #273
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
How many songs will there be in this series? For all the different songs, none are particularly memorable. Nagi's Enka song here may just pique my interest.
I thought they were looking at music CDs as an additional revenue stream, but looking at the official site, it seems that the insert songs come on a CD with the special edition BD/DVDs of the episodes they appear in. So far we have 11 songs. The OST -- which will not include the insert songs, it appears -- will come out on 25 June.

In fact, I like the songs, myself. They are almost all at a higher level of musical enjoyment for me than average character songs. Mina-chan and Uchiyama Yumi (Nagi) are actually good singers, Ao-chan has surprisingly done a pretty good job (with technical assistance to keep her on pitch?), and Kaorin is at least average for a seiyuu-singer.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-05-21 at 12:17.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 15:48   Link #274
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

What an heart-warming episode we had again. Especially the whole karaoke scene was fantastic, so fascinating yet rich of subtleties (such as Run standing on Tooru's side because she understood she was afraid to sing).

One thing that this anime does particularly well, and I should commend the production for it, is that it really brings to life its four heroines, by not making them one-dimensional.

Run on one hand is your classical airhead, extremely cute but incredibly dense. And yet you can see her literally growing and become a mature older sister for Tooru, helping her, comprehending her and providing all kinds of support she needs (both material and psychological).

Tooru at first glance is a quite creepy girl with an obsession for Run, and apparently hostile to everyone else except her. But if you get to know her well enough, you'll see that she's actually a smart girl troubled by her own limits and plenty of insecurities. In addition, while seemingly cold and mocking (someone said Yuuko? ), she does have a big heart.

Yuuko looks just like your classical model type. Tall and slender, happy go lucky attitude and self confidence. In reality you can see how far away she is from that depiction. She's actually quite worried of what other people think of her and tends to prefer a second opinion before doing something. In addition she's a scaredy cat, which is in total contrast with her apparent strong self confidence.

Nagi instead may be negligently labelled as the average girl. Nothing particularly standing out, wears glasses, looks bored. What's important though, is that she does stand out in her own way when she's with her friends. She looks as the wiser member of the group, not showing hesitations to become straightforward for the sake of the persons she cares of.

To put it extremely shortly, appearances are deceiving. A Channel is a proof of it.
Old 2011-05-24, 13:32   Link #275
Midonin
Last Engage

The +A Channel shorts included with the DVDs are pretty cute. The first volume's include Tooru trying on her school uniform (and Run trying on her middle school one...), and the gang catching a horror movie. Which, of course, leaves Yuuko terrified.
Old 2011-05-25, 00:03   Link #276
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Are the DVDs already out?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 13:19   Link #277
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for A Channel 08 - A Cover:
Old 2011-05-26, 16:48   Link #278
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep8 was another enjoyable episode, giving us more feeling for all the characters, including Tooru's classmates and both women teachers. Loved the last part, and enjoyed the insert song by Run and Tooru (Fukuhara Kaori and Yuuki Aoi).

This show isn't going to change the world, but it hasn't yet failed to be an enjoyable watch. And it seems to paint its world in deeper and deeper colours as it goes over it again and again.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 02:13   Link #279
Raiga
tl;dr

Spoiler for 08:
Old 2011-05-27, 10:26   Link #280
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
what weird thing to revolve an episode around, I almost thought it was going to be some kind of joke, but they just ran with it. I guess that's what kids call fights these days.

Still a very enjoyable episode.

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, school life, seinen, slice of life