AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-18, 14:05   Link #181
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
But what if Haruhi is their Spring 2013 project!? Hyouka's going to go continue for Summer 2012, and then Fall 2012 is Chuuni-Byou, but anything after that is just speculation, right?
We don't even know if Chuuni-Byou is gonna be in the Fall. We also don't know if that will be a TV anime or an OVA.

But yes, anything after Chunni-Byou is basically speculation. Haruhi could be their Spring 2013 project seeing that 2013 is the 10th anniversary of the LNs and the first season and the 2009 re-airing started in Spring. Of course, the next stories to be animated are in the winter as they happen just after Christmas and the next big story to happen takes place around Valentine's Day.

Another unknown factor is TBS/Pony Canyon who may have something they want KyoAni to do for 2013. But I do feel confident that Kadokawa will use KyoAni for something in 2013 as well.
Old 2012-05-18, 22:02   Link #182
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
With news being scattered here and there amongst threads on AS, I figured it might be best to consolidate information for speculation in an updated post. Here is what we know about the Haruhi franchise and related properties since Fall 2010. All figures are from Japan unless noted as domestic sales tend to mean more than international sales.
  • The Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san BD-Box sold 3,338 tracked by Oricon, would be safe to round that to ~3,500 sold.
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-Ray Complete Box sold ~34,000 tracked by Oricon, rumored to have a 50,000 print run. Was delayed by one month presumably due to higher than expected pre-orders.
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya BD/DVDs sold 134,910 tracked by Oricon, confirmed to have a 200,000 print run by Kadokawa. Earned over 800 million yen in theatres during 8 months of showings.
  • The TV anime was re-aired on AT-X from January until April. It was followed by the movie. It will be aired again starting in June. Lucky Star was also aired during this time and it will be getting a musical.
  • The Surprise/Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya First pressing had a 513,000 print run. At the time of release, that pushed the amount printed to 8 million copies of all 11 novels.
  • A recent article about LNs gave the Haruhi Suzumiya light novel franchise 8.5 million copies printed. That averages to 772,727 printed per novel.
  • The first novel, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has been printed 1 million times; it is the first official light novel to do so. (Note: this is referring to the light novel subdivision of publishing; this does not refer to the standard "bunko" size release that some treat as "light novels")
  • The first novel was released in June 2003. Next year will be the tenth anniversary of that date. The first story, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya was first published in April 2003 in The Sneaker.
  • Kadokawa's light novel titles have not been selling well lately. The second best selling title in the Sneaker Bunko was The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya: Official Fanbook, selling around 28,000 copies.
  • Similarly, Kadokawa's anime titles have not been selling well lately. Their top volume 1 sales (and averaged sales) last year was for Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi, a DVD-only release. BD-Boxes of Lucky Star and Strike Witches helped some. Their current show, Hyouka appears to be doing well thus far, but that could change.
  • KyoAni has produced one Kadokawa work per year since 2005 with the exception of 2008, which was followed by 2 direct works in 2009 and one related work in 2010.
  • KyoAni is animating Hyouka, which began production prior to July 2011 (that we know) and Nichijou was begun in 2009. Any work for 2013 likely began production in 2011.
  • KyoAni's only other confirmed title is Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!, a self-published light novel (series?) but the format/date has not been revealed.
  • The other production company that works with KyoAni, TBS/Pony Canyon, had their latest work be released in December 2011. Their next work (if there is one) has not been announced.
  • The director/chief animation director (and character designer) for the Haruhi series has not appeared to work on Hyouka.
  • The only non-airing product to receive a yearly calendar from KyoAni last year was Haruhi Suzumiya.
  • The next novel has been in writing since at least April 2011. No additional information has been given.
  • The latest edition of Altima Ace began serialization of a new gag manga, The Intrigues of Koizumi Itsuki-kun.
  • After no updates since August 11th (excluding a New Year's message sent on all Kadokawa anime sites), the anime website began updating last month to advertise the latest Shounen Ace, which featured a manga chapter from the 9th novel and a Noizi Itou drawn cover. Similarly, updates have occurred for the Lucky Star website prior to the announcement of the Lucky Musical event.
  • Kadokawa advertised special figures to be released with Wonda's coffee lineup and sold them at ACE this March.
  • The Composite ver. Ka (character)Robo lineup has expanded from only Haruhi to Nagato/Mikuru and now includes Kyon's Sister and Asakura.
I believe that is it for facts in this situation. If I have forgotten anything, please remind me.

From this, the additional manga and the website updating pique my curiosity the most. The franchise continues to grow in published form, which is good as it always needs advertising. The website updates (occurring similarly to Lucky Star and its announcements) give me more hope than anything. Why bother updating the site after 8 months of absence if there's no news coming?

The other interesting fact is the absence of Ishihara/Ikeda from Hyouka. Ishihara directed Nichijou and helped with storyboards for the K-On! movie, but has been absent in the current show. Ikeda directed 5 episodes' animation of the same show, but has not been credited since. The two are board members of the animation studio, so it's unlikely they've left (and Ishihara has posted a couple blog entries on the website). What are they up to?

The last question is anything related to Chuunibyou. Will Ishihara or Yamada (from K-On!) direct it? What form will it be? When will it come out? We don't know anything other than the confirmation of being animated and that it has two light novels published.

I'll admit that I was starting to lose some hope for the franchise, but thinking about the 10 year anniversary and how much the franchise has meant to Kadokawa and KyoAni turned me around. The other updates in mid-late April (especially airing the TV series AGAIN on AT-X) helped push me further into hopefulness. From assembling these facts and some thoughts my desire was to help give others hope like I've received.

(Puyo has tweeted more pictures of later novel characters lately, but that's likely unrelated to anything. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it though.)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-05-18, 22:25   Link #183
GardenAll
Haruhi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
[*]The next novel has been in writing since at least April 2011. No additional information has been given.
Tanigawa told that this will not be the last novel, correct?

Quote:
[*]After no updates since August 11th (excluding a New Year's message sent on all Kadokawa anime sites), the anime website began updating last month to advertise the latest Shounen Ace, which featured a manga chapter from the 9th novel and a Noizi Itou drawn cover. Similarly, updates have occurred for the Lucky Star website prior to the announcement of the Lucky Musical event.
Oh God, I wanna see this manga chapter... what about you translate it for us?
Old 2012-05-18, 22:44   Link #184
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenAll View Post
Tanigawa told that this will not be the last novel, correct?
No additional information has been released. I personally feel that it will not be the last novel, but nothing else has been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenAll View Post
Oh God, I wanna see this manga chapter... what about you translate it for us?
I politely deny any request to work on the manga. I'm currently translating a light novel, which takes up a lot of my time, so that is the main reason. It's also licensed, thus I run the risk of Yen getting annoyed at me and possibly sued. Being licensed also prevents me from posting it here as well.

Old 2012-05-19, 10:49   Link #185
GardenAll
Haruhi-ist

Quote:
I politely deny any request to work on the manga. I'm currently translating a light novel, which takes up a lot of my time, so that is the main reason. It's also licensed, thus I run the risk of Yen getting annoyed at me and possibly sued. Being licensed also prevents me from posting it here as well.
After read it, I think this way too...
Old 2012-05-20, 10:25   Link #186
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Yuko "Mikuru" Goto will be taking at least 2.5 months off due to an autoimmune disorder.

As someone mentioned below, this probably won't affect any possible future Haruhi seasons since there doesn't seem to be anything scheduled at the moment, but I still hope she gets well (and that Hidamari Sketch and the upcoming Madoka movies aren't affected).

But sheesh, is the Haruhi franchise under some kind of curse? First Aya, now Yuko...
Old 2012-06-24, 19:53   Link #187
baltakatei

If you want fuel for speculation on how "Sliders" may be treated by Mr. Tanigawa, Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter have coauthored a new book called "The Long Earth". In it, people of the 2000s find plans for a very simple potato-powered device which can empower the user to travel along a chain of parallel Earths, nearly all of which are uninhabited and undeveloped. The societal implications of the sudden appearance of an infinitely vast frontier are explored. The rules of "stepping" (or "sliding", if you will) are consistent and progressively revealed throughout the novel. For example, iron cannot be transported from world to world. Also, "stepping" is easier on geologically stable surfaces. Also, no one knows why stepping is possible, how it exactly meshes with physics, or what was the cause of it.

I am about 3/4 through the book and I must say: Koizumi and Kyon fans will be pleased to see similar characters at the center of the story (read: plenty of analytical scientific speculations tempered by wry sarcasm / obscure references).

Of course, as far as I know, Mr. Tanigawa knows nothing of this new book. I only mention it since the ideas in The Long Earth resonate with my own ideas of how "sliders" can appear in the Haruhi universe.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:32   Link #188
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
For example, iron cannot be transported from world to world.
Then shouldn't stepping/sliding kill you, or at least make you very sick? There's iron in your blood, after all.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:33   Link #189
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Then shouldn't stepping/sliding kill you, or at least make you very sick? There's iron in your blood, after all.
I think it's a surface of iron that cannot be transported.
Old 2012-07-10, 13:10   Link #190
baltakatei

Quote:
Only elemental iron (oxidation state 0) is found to not be "steppable". Iron +2, +3, etc can be stepped. Most of the iron in your blood and body is chemically bound in its oxidized state. I think Baxter inserted something speculation involving iron being too "stable" to be transported (being the final end product of fusion in stars), but this dialogue is quickly cut short by Pratchett saying something to the effect of "the fact is, we don't really know why, we just go with it".
Old 2012-07-10, 17:55   Link #191
Tammuz

Aren't they still recovering from the Endless Eight fiasco?
Old 2012-07-10, 18:01   Link #192
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
Aren't they still recovering from the Endless Eight fiasco?
What fiasco? Sales that still made in the top 40 of the 2000s? A movie that made over 800 million yen after starting in only 24 theatres? Said movie having a 200,000 print run of BD/DVDs? Latest novels having a 513,000 print run of just the LE? The whole Endless Eight was not a fiasco at all in Japan like it's seen in the West.

Old 2012-07-10, 18:50   Link #193
Tammuz

Ah, did not know that.

I wasn't referring to the Novel's, though- I love those, and have all the translated one's released thus far. I just haven't gotten around to the Anime, but I heard about E8, and just thought that it must reflect pretty poorly on the director, or the series as a whole to someone going in to it... Then again, can't really argue with sales- so long as Haruhiism is going strong, I've no complaints.
Old 2012-07-10, 20:51   Link #194
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

May not lead to anything, but Itou just tweeted that she had a meeting with the "Haruhi team." Perhaps something is in the works? (speculation)

Edit: A follow up tweet said not to read too much into it. There wasn't anything substantial being discussed. We'll have to wait and see if that's true or not.

Old 2012-07-11, 04:03   Link #195
virox

Quote:
What fiasco? Sales that still made in the top 40 of the 2000s? A movie that made over 800 million yen after starting in only 24 theatres? Said movie having a 200,000 print run of BD/DVDs? Latest novels having a 513,000 print run of just the LE? The whole Endless Eight was not a fiasco at all in Japan like it's seen in the West.
I think when people talk about "Fiasco", it's not about the sales. The sales were fine, but you have to take in account the mindset of the fanbase during that time. Even though E8 had solid sales, it was still an outrageous experiment that caused desperation and infuriation (which is, ironically, exactly what it should cause) everywhere, to the point that the director and voice actors gave an official statement of apology.
Sales aside, when a team has to apologize to the fanbase in such a large scale, they might want to refrain from ever touching the project again. But this is just me being pessimistic. When I'm optimistic, I can clearly see more Haruhi in the future.
But then again, Gotou Yuuko is sick with an Autoimmune disease...

Also, what a dick (umn...) move to first announce a Haruhi staff meeting and then telling everyone "You think so, but... No"
Thanks for the information anyway.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:41   Link #196
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by virox View Post
I think when people talk about "Fiasco", it's not about the sales. The sales were fine, but you have to take in account the mindset of the fanbase during that time. Even though E8 had solid sales, it was still an outrageous experiment that caused desperation and infuriation (which is, ironically, exactly what it should cause) everywhere, to the point that the director and voice actors gave an official statement of apology.
Sales aside, when a team has to apologize to the fanbase in such a large scale, they might want to refrain from ever touching the project again. But this is just me being pessimistic. When I'm optimistic, I can clearly see more Haruhi in the future.
But then again, Gotou Yuuko is sick with an Autoimmune disease...

Also, what a dick (umn...) move to first announce a Haruhi staff meeting and then telling everyone "You think so, but... No"
Thanks for the information anyway.
The one who "apologized" to everyone was Yamamoto, who had left KyoAni prior to the 2009 broadcast. He knew he could earn some praise from the fans by "apologizing" when he had little to nothing to do with the project after 2007. The apology wasn't for any sincere reason. There has not been any other record of an apology about the decisions made, and Yamamoto himself left out that Disappearance was likely to be made into a movie to make himself seem like the good guy.

The 2009/09 issue of Newtype had a feature on Endless Eight and had staff members talking about their "summer vacation," but it's not been translated, so an apology there could be a possibility however unlikely.

Old 2012-07-16, 19:41   Link #197
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Call me ye of little faith, but I don't have much hope for this franchise. It makes me sad.

It's been two years since the movie came out in Japan, and there has not been any announcement for renewal. Just speculation. :\

Another interesting statistic is that I haven't posted on this forum in two years.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:33   Link #198
GDB

Didn't it take them three years between the first and second seasons? There wasn't really any announcement until shortly before the second season, either.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:41   Link #199
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
There wasn't really any announcement until shortly before the second season, either.
Incorrect. The second season was announced on July 7th, 2007 via an ad in the Asahi Newspaper. nothing was said until December 18th, where the second season was "cancelled" and a "new animation" was started. In the June 2008 edition of The Sneaker, a new image of Nagato taking off her glasses is published. They state "stay tuned for more information about the "new animation." About two weeks later in the next edition of Newtype, the same image is used with another teaser as well as a silhouette of Haruhi in the "next issue" portion. Kyon's line "I finally....found you" is also used. The July 2007 edition of Newtype uses an image of Haruhi as she is in the new Disappearance world to promote the "New Animation." Additional character designs and a roundtable are also published in that edition. The staff listing remains the same as the image on December 18th. On July 7th, 2008, tanzakus are shown at 15:00 and at 21:00 images from the surveillance video are played amongst lines from both the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance stories.

That fall, they begin promotion of the Haruhi-chan anime. In January 2009, the February 2009 edition of Newtype announces that the next issue will have news about the Haruhi anime. That turns out to be an announcement that it will be "re-aired" starting in April 2009. The March edition also gives the story the 2006 copyright and an image from the 2006 series drawn by Ikeda.

Ignoring the fact that the 2009 broadcast wasn't a "second season," the series never lost promotion for more than 6 months between 2007-2009. The whole "it was barely promoted" has been said amongst English-fans, who don't read these magazines and weren't told as quickly as they are now via 2ch blogs.

Old 2012-07-18, 15:06   Link #200
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Inconventionally promoted. To the point where we here were still guessing up to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody airing if there would be new episodes or not.