Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-07, 07:15   Link #3281
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Knuckle is one of those characters you don't need to warm up to. You can go ahead and like him from the get go. That's how I see him anyways. He's very straightforward, there's no real need to understand his hidden depths cos he's pretty much an open book.

One thing noteworthy about this series though is that as our heroes keep getting stronger, obviously their enemies also increase in strength, but also they start meeting new allies who are also on a whole new level. Knuckle is the best example of this. As they are now he's way beyond their level, and he's not even using his ability yet.
Then Knuckle must be an Enhancer, if Hisoka's analysis is to be believed .

Indeed, that's a good point. Most of the time you get your core protagonists and they all level up as they go along, but in this series, Kurapica got a major upgrade(highly unusual for the non-main char to get such a power boost), Leorio is(probably) left behind, considering Pokkle's strength, and every other ally they've had has been kinda new each arc. I wouldn't say Knuckle is "way" beyond them though; even Knuckle said they are only moving with sheer willpower after doing Ren for 3 hours; that may not be the case if they weren't fighting in the middle of doing training(even though my guess is that Biske's plan is that he IS the training).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 07:20   Link #3282
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm kinda excited about the next episode, personally. It'd be spoiling to explain but those who know what I'm talking about might know what I mean.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 09:50   Link #3283
Hamster

Unless there was an error in subbing apparently the anime Neferpitou is a girl.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 09:54   Link #3284
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, she's not. But that won't make me stop referring to her as a she.

Remember, the Japanese don't usually use gender-based pronouns.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 09:58   Link #3285
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

CR errors in subbing could keep you busy for weeks at a time. Pretty much meaningless.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 10:02   Link #3286
Clarste
Human

What it tells us is that the translator thinks she's a girl. Which is interesting in its own right, but doesn't mean much in regards to Togashi. But, again, it really doesn't matter.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 10:09   Link #3287
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
What it tells us is that the translator thinks she's a girl. Which is interesting in its own right, but doesn't mean much in regards to Togashi. But, again, it really doesn't matter.
It's not 'interesting'. More than half of the fans think Nef is a girl or SHOULD be one. It doesn't change that Nef is apparently male.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 10:11   Link #3288
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
It's not 'interesting'. More than half of the fans think Nef is a girl or SHOULD be one. It doesn't change that Nef is apparently male.
It's interesting in that Crunchyroll was never sent a note saying "by the way, Pitou is male" from the anime studio. Sometimes that kind of thing happens.

My takeaway from that is that the people making the anime don't really care one or another. Or maybe insisted she was female. We'll never know.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 10:25   Link #3289
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Even more likely, that the CR subber typed what they thought the English-speaking audience wanted to hear. That's a common occurrence.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 11:05   Link #3290
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I love the way Knov Morel and Netero's powers work well together. Smoke to confuse and divide the enemy. Single out the strongest and send them to a confined space using Knovs powers and then have old man Netero fight them 1v1.

It a good way to start things until the enemy changes tactics at least.
Old 2013-07-07, 11:08   Link #3291
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What's the source for Pitou being male anyway? Databooks are not reliable. The Japanese don't seem to think she's male going by the fanarts.
Old 2013-07-07, 11:33   Link #3292
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 87-

Spoiler for Part 1:

-----------------------------
Spoiler for Part 2:

Last edited by SHINOBI-03; 2013-07-07 at 13:41.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 12:37   Link #3293
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's the source for Pitou being male anyway? Databooks are not reliable. The Japanese don't seem to think she's male going by the fanarts.
japanese fandom is never a good reference poinr either, they love genderswapping and homosexual relations, but certainly the databooks have been proven wrong by the manga itself, but you have a point, after sounding and looking like a female in the anime, its hard to think otherwise, character designs in the manga can change even acouple of times in the same arc.
Old 2013-07-07, 14:51   Link #3294
freeofgreed

Quote:
People are still debating this? Pitou is man! If you guys want to refer to him as a female that's completely fine but officially Pitou is man. Want a source? Here you go.

The character circled in both images is kare (he), also Pitou refers to himself using Boku, which is a masculine pronoun. Also the anime made Pitou look a lot more femine than he did in the manga (though he did become more femine as time went on in the manga as well, he never had breasts iirc).

Also the argument about the databooks being unreliable is a horrible one to make. Just because certain facts were retconned doesn't automatically make everything in them invalid. So seeing as how Pitou's gender was never retconned it stands as fact until Togashi proves otherwise. The guidebooks were written by Togashi so they take precedent over EVERYTHING except the manga.

I don't know why people are trying to debate word of god here, next your gonna have people saying Knuckle is actually a female...
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 17:40   Link #3295
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thing is, I'm not sure the databooks were written by Togashi himself. Especially considering it's Togashi (the guy barely works on his own manga, so on an entire databook?). That's why I said they were not reliable. HxH aside, I recall quite a few databooks contradicting manga facts.

This only applies to the manga anyway. It's possible Madhouse decided to make Pitou female for whatever reason, in which case CR is not to blame. There have been a few traps in this series but never one with actual breasts. It's not like Pitou's gender even matters. It doesn't affect the plot in any way.
Old 2013-07-07, 18:38   Link #3296
freeofgreed

Quote:
Thing is, I'm not sure the databooks were written by Togashi himself. Especially considering it's Togashi (the guy barely works on his own manga, so on an entire databook?). That's why I said they were not reliable. HxH aside, I recall quite a few databooks contradicting manga facts.
Even so, In the manga (which I hope you agree was written by Togashi) When Pitou refers to himself he use "Boku" which as I've said is a masculine pronoun.

Spoiler:

Here is the covor for the guidebook where it clearly shows Togashi's name. So unless you have a source proving it was ghost written, I'am going to assume it was written by him.

Quote:
This only applies to the manga anyway. It's possible Madhouse decided to make Pitou female for whatever reason, in which case CR is not to blame. There have been a few traps in this series but never one with actual breasts. It's not like Pitou's gender even matters. It doesn't affect the plot in any way.
Yeah I'am starting to lean towards the anime version of Pitou being a female. And I agree Pitou's gender doesn't matter which is why I'am confused why people insist on trying to debate the fact that he's male.

There are two reasons why I'am trying to prove that Pitou's male.

1. It bugs me that people are so willing to defy word of god, and it makes me think I won't be able to have a deep discussion with these people if they can so readily ignore what the author says.

2. This whole "issue" has even affect the wiki, which a lot of new fans will use to get their information from.
Old 2013-07-07, 19:07   Link #3297
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
1. It bugs me that people are so willing to defy word of god, and it makes me think I won't be able to have a deep discussion with these people if they can so readily ignore what the author says.
Well, whether you take "word of god" seriously is up to you. After all, unless the story itself is backing up the author, "word of god" is just an irrelevant opinion. The real world of god is what the author shows as fact in the story itself, not his/her personal comments outside the story.

Quote:
2. This whole "issue" has even affect the wiki, which a lot of new fans will use to get their information from.
If you're talking about Wikipedia, trivia info like Pitou's gender shouldn't even be included there.
Old 2013-07-07, 19:13   Link #3298
Kintoun

Quote:
I think the main issue people have with this is that Pitou's design is clearly femenine which makes the reader intuitively identify her as a she, plus the fact that this intuition is never refuted (or even questioned) directly in the manga/anime. This makes it so that people first get the idea that Pitou is a she and this never conflicts with their understanding of the story, unless someone else directly touches the topic. If somewhere along the manga we had a panel of Pitou explicitly coming out from the Ant-men's restroom, people wouldn't refuse to accept Pitou's gender since it actually helps them have a better understanding of the character.

I should point out that I'm not arguing for Pitou being female, I'm just trying to deduce people's source of discomfort with it being stated as male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Don’t tempt me to do another “Free” joke!
Good one. lol

Quote:
Just a reminder, but how did Gon know Knuckle is a Beast Hunter?
Well, Killua heard him introducing himself with the megaphone. He could have told Gon off-screen.

Quote:
We see Pitou’s lab in the manga but not Kite’s whereabouts.
Wait, both the lab and the blackboard were in the manga? I had completely forgot them. When I saw them in the anime, I thought Madhouse had finally gone over the top with all the hi-tech the ants had gathered in their little manure-based nest. In second thought, they could have scavaged this from the NGL underground, but a mad scientist's lab seems a little off among drug-producing facilities. Well, guess we can simply file this next to Zazan's bikini and Crocodude's one piece in the Chimera Ant misteries' record.
My apologies, Madhouse.

As for the episode as a whole, I felt it too short, but I liked if overall. I find Knuckle to be enjoyable, and this episode is useful in establishing his characterization in a humorous way while restating Gon's determination of getting stronger in the same pair of scenes. I'm looking forward to the next episode. It'll be really cool to watch the next fights animated.
Kintoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 19:31   Link #3299
freeofgreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, whether you take "word of god" seriously is up to you. After all, unless the story itself is backing up the author, "word of god" is just an irrelevant opinion. The real world of god is what the author shows as fact in the story itself, not his/her personal comments outside the story.
No, any source of information that an author gives directly, be it the manga, or a guide book is considered cannon. Also as I stated in my original comment, if people want to refer to Pitou as a female that is completely up to them, but when they start trying to refute what the author says is what I take issue with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If you're talking about Wikipedia, trivia info like Pitou's gender shouldn't even be included there.
http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Hunterpedia
Old 2013-07-07, 19:42   Link #3300
Kazu-kun

Quote:
No, any source of information that an author gives directly, be it the manga, or a guide book is considered cannon.
Real authors speak through their work. Those who needs to explain their shit afterwards... well, I wouldn't even call them authors...

I'm talking in general terms though. HunterxHunter is a pretty well written series, and I don't see Togashi going out of his way to explain anything. The guidebooks only give trivia information, and I seriously doubt they're written by Togashi himself anyway.

Tags
action, shounen