AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2012-04-13, 03:56   Link #1
aoaaron

Watching soft sub MKV anime with stylised subs on iPad

I'm using AVplayerHD ATM to watch my anime on my iPad.

Sadly stylised MKV subs seem to lose there styling and at times not display the subs properly. I'm now looking for an alternative player which handles subs better or a conversion method so the subtitles are recognised.

The files in question are yibis one piece MKVs.

my naruto shippuden MP4s from taka display perfectly .

Anyway, I tried to use handbrake burn in subs converting to iPad/regular profile but certain characters 'p,g' come out malformed. Is there any other converter which handles what i think is a pretty easy task?

It would be fine even if the subs were just hard subbed into the MKV tbh!

Thanks please help me haha.

I've tried subler too and it seemed to lose the styling or something... it wasn't a very good program for these files.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:18   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

the ipad (like other small plastic toys) is way too slow to render softsubs with any kind of styling in realtime, you'll have to reencode
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2012-04-13, 15:54   Link #3
aoaaron

Wow I just found this program called sub video player and sub video converter. It now works perfectly. Conversions per file take around 5 seconds. Ridiculous. Keeps the styling of subs etc.

FYI iPad handles mp4 subs fine.

There were some bad reviews for the app but obviously people don't understand the need to drop the file into the extremely fast converter before sending them through. iPad as an anime player is back on for me! No reencoding times taking 5 minutes or so per file.

Really happy since finding a solution has been so hard the past few days!
Old 2012-04-13, 20:03   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Wow I just found this program called sub video player and sub video converter. It now works perfectly. Conversions per file take around 5 seconds. Ridiculous. Keeps the styling of subs etc.

FYI iPad handles mp4 subs fine.
this will have hilarious results when you run into softsub ts

edit: looks like the program in question is mostly a frontend for avidemux, who coulda thunk it
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2012-04-14, 09:02   Link #5
aoaaron

all i know is its working perfectly with everything I've thrown at it so far.

what is a soft sub ts? can u gimme an example of a file? would love to give it a try etc.
Old 2012-04-14, 11:28   Link #6
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
all i know is its working perfectly with everything I've thrown at it so far.

what is a soft sub ts? can u gimme an example of a file? would love to give it a try etc.
ts = typesetting, usually meaning translated on-screen signs with specific positioning, rotation, movement, etc. I'm guessing that converting software will probably not respect all those ASS tags and just throw everything in as normal dialogue subs (or even include all the code before the actual text). But either way you'll know if it works or not eventually, if you use it to convert recent-ish fansubs.
Old 2012-04-20, 11:46   Link #7
koolaje

As far as I know, the only player that actually works with Styled Subs on Anime's has been the free XBMC. It showed perfectly on my Ipad 1 but the video jagged, probably the old processor.

Jailbroken Ipad's is required and for further info, just go here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...one/iPod_touch

Now I'll probably JB my new Ipad only to install the XBMC. Anime with full Styled Subs without converting using Burn-in Subs in Handbreak? FTW !

Kimagure Orang Road Movie - I Want To Return To That Day
Old 2012-05-19, 13:35   Link #8
sliver123

hi there i am new here. is Bigasoft MKV Converter a good one to convert mkv to other formats without subs loss and quality ?
Old 2013-01-07, 18:06   Link #9
Ryoujin
What?

Any new information about this? I'm looking to get a good player for MKV's on a 4th Generation iPad.