AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-01, 20:45   Link #8541
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

At that point, I doubt Akamatsu cared anymore about giving serious answers to anything. If he ever comes back to Negima, which I won't believe until I see it, he should put more serious thought into it, because he obviously was madly rushing a conclusion by then, regardless of any inner logics or storytelling rules.

Since even he seemed to hint in the final volume's message a future Negima project could be a visit into an alternate timeline, I wouldn't be shocked if he just decided to disregard the final volumes and everything that was said there. If I had him before me, I'd actually suggest him to do that, since the final two volumes were a practically irredeemable mess.
Old 2012-11-01, 21:47   Link #8542
Spamamdorf

I don't know about a whole two volumes (mostly because I don't remember what happened 2 volumes before the end, but certainly towards the end when he suddenly found out he had to finish the manga or lose it it was rushed yeah, for good reason sure but half assing an ending like that was still a little annoying even with the explanation
Spamamdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 23:07   Link #8543
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

I'm starting to doubt the "Finish the manga now or lose it" explanation now, since he went back to announce his next project would be with Kodansha anyway. What happened? Did they buy him off, or was the popular guess just a fanmade excuse (remember he never officially announced a specific reason for the abrupt end. All we got were conjectures based on his fallout with Kodansha, but we never got to see which circumstances went on between that and the reconciliation)?

If he doesn't come back to Negima right after this, now he's apparently got no beef with Kodansha anymore, he'll just be showing he grew tired or sick with the series and dropkicked it. That isn't a good omen for his next project, since there's no guarantee he won't do the same thing when he gets tired again or when he has another fight with his bosses (the same company he had the problem with, after all).

A fanwork artist has the excuse of just quitting when he feels like it, but a professional has the obligation to be... well, professional. If you grow tired with what you're doing, bear up with it. That's why you're being paid. Try finding yourself ways to keep yourself interested, but don't let your audience down.

I have my doubts his reputation could survive if he pulls another "end of Negima" again.
Old 2012-11-02, 00:14   Link #8544
Merctrin
Immi

From what I remember of Love Hina, Akamatsu doesn't really have the best track record of wrapping things up neatly. The later chapters of that were downright painful. And even if he felt that he needed to finish Negima when he did... I can think of at least a dozen different ways that would have been smoother than how it actually happened.
Old 2012-11-02, 00:55   Link #8545
Spamamdorf

Oh it wasn't ever said by KA? I thought I remembered being told that was how KA explained it to his fans, but I don't know where I heard that now so maybe it was indeed just conjecture, who knows, well if he doesn't have any beef wih Kodansha I guess we'll see based on if he makes a continuation or not if it was drop kicked or he just tried to keep his rights to it.

EDIT: And while I hated LH's ending myself was it actually objectively bad? I thought I just didn't like it because I hated the pairing
Old 2012-11-03, 06:41   Link #8546
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
From what I remember of Love Hina, Akamatsu doesn't really have the best track record of wrapping things up neatly. The later chapters of that were downright painful. And even if he felt that he needed to finish Negima when he did... I can think of at least a dozen different ways that would have been smoother than how it actually happened.
Even a Shaman King-type massive cliffhanger would have been better than this.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 08:43   Link #8547
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

The worst thing you could say about Love Hina's ending was it was too predictable (the other girls never stood any chance of winning, and the story always was unfairly biased towards Naru), but at least it played fair with its setting's rules and what had happened previously.

Negima's ending was much much worse because it didn't actually solve anything in a coherent way. Everything that wasn't complete unadressed was just given an one panel handwave, often going against the characters' direction for the whole manga (Chisame was opening herself instead of closing herself down, Akira never showed any interested on what she ended up doing, you can't justify Hakase ending up with Godel just from a meager roster annotation, you can't close Ako's arc just by saying "she had her back fixed, the end") and so on.
Old 2012-11-04, 13:44   Link #8548
Merctrin
Immi

Love Hina's actual ending wasn't bothersome at all, but before then there was a long sequence of chapters that seemed largely pointless and only served as an attempt to delay the inevitable ending. It felt like Akamatsu was done with the story but wasn't letting that stop him from continuing it.
Old 2012-11-04, 16:03   Link #8549
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
It felt like Akamatsu was done with the story but wasn't letting that stop him from continuing it.
Ironically, it was the exact opposite with Negima- the story wasn't and couldn't possibly be over yet, but Akamatsu put the pillow on its face and pressed it down until it stopped moving anyway.
Old 2012-11-30, 13:22   Link #8550
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Looks like Ken Akamatsu's next work is going to be a new story altogether.

Disappointing news for Negima fans? Yeah. However, it probably may be best for Ken Akamatsu to concentrate on a new story for now before continuing Negima (especially given the mess that was the last two volumes).
Old 2012-11-30, 20:13   Link #8551
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
As long as it doesn't completely destroy any hope for continuation/expansion of negima-verse, I'm fine with it

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:12   Link #8552
Spamamdorf

Yeah I'll wait a little longer, I'll only fully give up hope if this new manga ends and KA makes yet another new one, he needs the time away from it at the moment to figure out how on earth he's going to fix it so go ahead and have it
Old 2012-12-01, 15:00   Link #8553
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

By the time this new manga is over, who will give a crap about Negima anymore? Odds are this is just Akamatsu's way of officially burying the franchise without being downright honest about it.

Also, the day the new series ends up as badly as this one did, I hope I'm still there to tell you "I told you so."
Old 2012-12-01, 16:26   Link #8554
Lisemer

Can he start a new manga with old characters? Like Natsumi's story in the Magic World or something like that?
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:40   Link #8555
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisemer View Post
Can he start a new manga with old characters? Like Natsumi's story in the Magic World or something like that?
Quote:
a completely new work, not a continuation of Negima.
I'd say Natsumi's story would still be a continuation of Negima, so no.
Old 2013-02-05, 23:03   Link #8556
Hata
時の異邦人

Hero’s Legend Episode 1

http://www.geekthenews.com/2013/01/1...end-episode-1/

"Those listed to attend include"…"Ken Akamatsu (Sailor Moon),"
Old 2013-02-06, 04:12   Link #8557
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
http://www.geekthenews.com/2013/01/1...end-episode-1/

"Those listed to attend include"…"Ken Akamatsu (Sailor Moon),"
Interesting event, although I wonder where did the guy who wrote it got "Ken Akamatsu (Sailor Moon)", as on the image he posted is written "Ken Akamatsu (Love Hina, Mahou Sensei Negima)".
Old 2013-02-11, 17:16   Link #8558
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Further proof Negima is all but forgotten now and Akamatsu will have a hard time rebuilding his name after that end debacle, if journalists keep forgetting who is he.
Old 2013-02-14, 00:15   Link #8559
Hata
時の異邦人

Ken on EDF Yamato

https://twitter.com/KenAkamatsu/stat...83123433521152
Old 2013-02-14, 23:21   Link #8560
S.Freedom

So I'm guessing it says something about his next series?

Because what little naivety I have left is hoping it says he's doing a sequel to Negima. One that fills in all the wholes and ties up all the loose threads.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy