Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-02, 16:27   Link #161
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I think some of the images I used way back in the Halloween contest were from that series as well. It's gonna be nice to see them again.

Anyway, I suddenly feel that a lot of folks are holding off their opinions simply because they think this banner contest is some sort of exclusive or private event.

This contest is open to all that apply people; Even if you didn't make a banner and even if you dont hang around in the fan creations section, you can still nominate your favorite banners.

So, come on and nominate some banners, I am still hoping/waiting for quite a few members to show up.
Understandable. I put a link for the banner nomination thread on my signature too, hopefully attracting some users to nominate some banners ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-08-02, 20:09   Link #162
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Agreed, people please come nominate (I am new at this, but was this a much more participated event in the past?)
Old 2007-08-02, 21:46   Link #163
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Thumbs up

Ok, after some procrastination here are my nominees:

{banner-020} Deathkillz

I like the dynamics in it

{banner-090} pomps

It looks like a beautiful painting

{banner-099} yFANTgirl

That kind of artwork is rather unusual and pretty charming

There were many other banners I wanted to nominate too, but well...you all know the limit ^^;
Anyway, great job everyone! ^^b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Hellychan's nom is mandatory of course , practically only little girls in all of these banners... however I have no idea who that character is
LOL Thank you Manti! I'm glad there are still bishounen supporters here He's Daisuke Niwa from D.N.Angel ^^
Old 2007-08-02, 22:13   Link #164
Minoto

To me, the banners that best communicate the idea of "sky" are:

{banner-055} -- Potemayo resting on the cloud brings it out of the background and gives me a definite feeling of being up there, looking at this scene.

{banner-061} -- I like the usage of sola's device of pictures of the sky...it gets the feeling across, and stands out from the more normal cloud background used in most of the other banners.
Old 2007-08-02, 22:30   Link #165
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
To me, the banners that best communicate the idea of "sky" are:

{banner-055} -- Potemayo resting on the cloud brings it out of the background and gives me a definite feeling of being up there, looking at this scene.

{banner-061} -- I like the usage of sola's device of pictures of the sky...it gets the feeling across, and stands out from the more normal cloud background used in most of the other banners.
Using already established character to use for the sky theme seem somewhat dual sided. Though the use of it can already be seen as a natural compliment to the background/foreground and thus make it a more outstanding image. Not to flame anyone but using the already established figure for the theme seems kinda... umm...well... uncreative/unorignal, though the background is nicely configured into a outstanding view of the sky.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-08-02, 23:24   Link #166
Garlic
Newbie to Anime -_-;;

Send a message via MSN to Garlic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Garlic ~ you have to paste the codes, curly brackets and all.
Otherwise your vote doesn't count.
Oh, thanks! Just edited my post with the brackets and all, including the banners. >_>
Old 2007-08-02, 23:37   Link #167
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Using already established character to use for the sky theme seem somewhat dual sided. Though the use of it can already be seen as a natural compliment to the background/foreground and thus make it a more outstanding image. Not to flame anyone but using the already established figure for the theme seems kinda... umm...well... uncreative/unorignal, though the background is nicely configured into a outstanding view of the sky.
True, it might be a little cheap to use characters like Misuzu or Matsuri, who are strongly associated with the given theme, since just seeing them brings up many of the desired associations in the mind of the viewer without the artist having to work at it. But at the same time, that doesn't make it any less effective, and after looking at 100+ banners with variations of the same cloud background, just seeing someone do something different (even if that means using a pre-established idea) seems creative in its own way.
Old 2007-08-03, 04:06   Link #168
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
True, it might be a little cheap to use characters like Misuzu or Matsuri, who are strongly associated with the given theme, since just seeing them brings up many of the desired associations in the mind of the viewer without the artist having to work at it. But at the same time, that doesn't make it any less effective, and after looking at 100+ banners with variations of the same cloud background, just seeing someone do something different (even if that means using a pre-established idea) seems creative in its own way.
Yeah, that's why I stated that most of the creativity comes from how unique they can use the special effects of Photoshop to bring out more life from that still image they used ^_^. (not in that direct of a way, but you know)

Old 2007-08-03, 07:28   Link #169
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

The current ranking (according to my humble counting):

Spoiler for ranking:

Since the average score is 3.525 my desire to support banners that I like is bound to banners with 2<X<5 points scoring (I assume the borderline for the final round will be 4 or 5 points). Of course the top scorers are all marvelous banners, but I want to help the following banners over the assumed minimum limit:

vote

{banner-028}
{banner-051}
{banner-101}
Old 2007-08-03, 08:12   Link #170
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellychan View Post
Ok, after some procrastination here are my nominees:
You're not the only one who's procrastinating. D:

My votes:

{banner-028}

{banner-082}

{banner-099}

Old 2007-08-03, 09:19   Link #171
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Ultimately - i don't see that as a bad thing, nor why it should matter. Not to sound harsh here, but it is the result that interests me, not the process taken to obtain the said result. If a banner manages to invoke "Sky" feeling in me (for whatever reasons), then it has done a good job.

Given the nature of the thread, posts like "Using character X / Y is cheap" can be considering as trying to undermine someones work. As such any further discussion on the issue is forbidden.
Old 2007-08-03, 13:18   Link #172
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Nearly forgot to nominate some banners! But there is still time...

{banner-090}

{banner-067}

{banner-091}

Thanks for the list btw Jinto Lin, as it allowed me to eliminate those choices who are likely going to be in the final vote and instead nominate those banners that really need nominations to go through to the next round.
Old 2007-08-03, 15:18   Link #173
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Less than 3 hours left before the deadline folks!
Old 2007-08-03, 20:24   Link #174
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Final Counts... I'll make a vote thread soon.

Got it right this time?... Edit: Three's the charm...

Apparently the third time was not the charm... more of a curse. Anyway, see the vote thread for the actual list.

Spoiler for Nominations by user...:

Spoiler for Nominations by banner...:

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-08-04 at 05:12.
Closed Thread

Tags
banner contest, contest