Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-27, 06:29   Link #981
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
By the way, is the novel ever going to be concluded? Ive heard it hasn't yet been concluded
At this moment in time, there are no signs that it will be.
Old 2009-03-28, 02:43   Link #982
Argent

I'm thinking there probably will be a second season down the road provided this season's viewer numbers were good enough.

They've built the story to the point that they can run this for 100 episodes if they want to. This season is just the opening act. It may also be the only act if it didn't do all that well.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 03:23   Link #983
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

After watching up to 24, I still wonder how Zarlish ever got to be a duke, when Idris had such problems with it. He's just a two-bit thug who's proud because he's got overwhelming numbers. There's one in ever high school.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 07:30   Link #984
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think the ruthless battle leader aspect of Zarlish is why he was chosen. That kind of brutal efficiency. Bullying to the victims, assertiveness to the supporters.

As for a second season, I think this show NEEDS it. Desperately. As for deviating from the novels a bit, I think they somewhat needed it to fill in the gaps and make it unique for the anime. There were some dull moments in the first half and some moments here and there, but the final 4 eps of this show really benefited from all the buildup.

And ending it on an OVA doesn't sound right to me. It needs that epic second half this kind of buildup needs. And we haven't seen the requisite Idris vs Fan, Jouslain vs Fan and maybe even Ajman vs Fan.

I think the slow pace of this show threw off a lot of people, but for me, it was more endearing for it. Surely some characters could've been more developed, the writing a bit sharper and the animation being sharper, but for what they worked with, I think it came out fine. For all it's worth, it's definitely THE definition of Space Opera. Definitely a memorable one for me. Can not WAIT for the second season. I'm going to go out on my limb and say it will happen.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 08:02   Link #985
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Actually I feel that this season / arc has done quite well introducing the characters and the background of the story. The ending makes it reasonable to think that there will be another season to tie up the story. Overall I give this a 9/10 for this season.
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 08:57   Link #986
Luthien

I thought I was the only one who didn't hate this show... This show definitely needs a second season!
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 14:53   Link #987
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2009-03-28, 15:31   Link #988
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I think the ruthless battle leader aspect of Zarlish is why he was chosen. That kind of brutal efficiency. Bullying to the victims, assertiveness to the supporters.
My point is that it's not exactly a rare talent. As I said... any schoolyard bully should be able to do it. Zarlish ought to have other qualities.

Tytania seems to be somewhat of a meritocracy, as long as you have the right family name. That's why Ajuman is clan lord instead of his older brother, and why Idris had to kiss ass to get declared a duke. And yet a brainless thug like Zarlish is a duke? WTH?
Old 2009-03-28, 16:55   Link #989
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 22 Screenshots.

When a characters gets a background suddenly, that means...

Episode 23.

Spoiler:

Episode 24.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Celestial Kitsune; 2009-03-28 at 22:09.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 01:26   Link #990
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
My point is that it's not exactly a rare talent. As I said... any schoolyard bully should be able to do it. Zarlish ought to have other qualities.

Tytania seems to be somewhat of a meritocracy, as long as you have the right family name. That's why Ajuman is clan lord instead of his older brother, and why Idris had to kiss ass to get declared a duke. And yet a brainless thug like Zarlish is a duke? WTH?
Well, for all we know, his brutal way of fighting wars probably is a merit in itself alongside his bullyish demeanor. Also, I'm guessing that such a powerhouse type of character would be more of a political tool than otherwise. Hence why most of the Tytanian dukes don't quite see him as a legitimate threat for the Clan Lord. Just a big punching bag they can throw at their enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
Well, I'm just going to put my trust in the animation staff when the second season would inevitably (in my estimation), comes. I think an OVA probably wouldn't do the thing justice unless they actually intend to go all the way with it. And I'm not sure NHK anime are prone to OVAs. They usually go for the completion in a TV series, that network. Hopefully, they can carry on with the actual characters' motivations and the general attitudes of the characters that seep into their politics. I don't think that'd be too difficult, compared to just coming up with some romance angle on the fly or taking over a shonen show that results in very mediocre and seemingly non-canon plotlines (Bleach, Naruto..). NHK shows especially are somewhat straightshooters and they seem to value characterizations more, so I'm hoping that is a good sign.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 10:33   Link #991
p-kun

Quote:

The novel seems to elaborate on this better. I haven't read the novel yet, but from the japanese wiki, Zarlish is a great military leader. His troops really look up on him. The novel describes that he is so loved by his subordinates that they are happy to die for him. He is good at upping soldiers morale too it seems. In short, he's good at managing his army. The anime only describes this as Zarlish troops being 2 times more destructive than other dukes' troops.

And the novel also says that while it looks like he has no strategy, just fighting head on, actually he's good at countering enemy strategy such that the fighting gets into his pace, or sth like that (not really portrayed in the anime, I guess).
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:02   Link #992
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OK, looks like Miranda and the captain actually are married. Then why does she act jealous when Fan's interested in other girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
The novel seems to elaborate on this better. I haven't read the novel yet, but from the japanese wiki, Zarlish is a great military leader. His troops really look up on him. The novel describes that he is so loved by his subordinates that they are happy to die for him. He is good at upping soldiers morale too it seems. In short, he's good at managing his army. The anime only describes this as Zarlish troops being 2 times more destructive than other dukes' troops.

And the novel also says that while it looks like he has no strategy, just fighting head on, actually he's good at countering enemy strategy such that the fighting gets into his pace, or sth like that (not really portrayed in the anime, I guess).
After seeing 25, he went up in my esteem a bit. He carried two of his men out instead of berating them for their weakness. That, and one has to admit he is pretty badass.

Still, for all his fierceness and courage when he thinks he has the upper hand, he makes me wonder how he and his men would behave if badly outnumbered.
Old 2009-03-30, 17:49   Link #993
Argent

To be fair to Zarlish, his mother took him out of his normal element. If he hadn't been put in the position that his family honor was tied to his capturing Fan alive, he wouldn't have made all those mistakes. The "normal" Duke Zarlish would have sewn up the planet and squeezed it until they found Fan, but his desire to please mama made him impatient and pigheaded.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 19:47   Link #994
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
OK, looks like Miranda and the captain actually are married. Then why does she act jealous when Fan's interested in other girls?
I wouldn't call it jealousy, not at all. More like she plays along with it.
Old 2009-03-30, 20:06   Link #995
golthin

Quote:
Where does it say that they are married?
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 20:08   Link #996
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Where does it say that they are married?
In episode 25.
Old 2009-03-30, 20:17   Link #997
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
In episode 25.
i probably missed that when i was fastforwarding that episode. Well, that is a surprise.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 22:13   Link #998
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, the plot is all over the place as usual, but for a character exposition episode for Zarlish ep 25 really excelled in that respect.Aw well, at least they aren't trying to present Fan as a last minute genius, and they just exploit their natural luck as they've been doing... I've got to give them some points for consistency I guess.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 22:34   Link #999
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Duke Zarlisch is pretty incompetent for someone who in the line for Clan Lord potentials.
Old 2009-03-30, 22:43   Link #1000
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It can also be viewed as the decay of the bloodline from another point of view. He is good at rallying forces and directing a vanguard, but in an overall army he would need someone to direct his efforts in a more directed way. I'd say he would be the equivalent of LOGH Fritz Josef Bittenfeld and his black lancers. Not a bad admiral by any standard, but a little weak on the strategy deparment.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, space opera