AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-11-29, 03:36   Link #3221
Kyuu
=^^=

OK. Has anyone watched Endless Eight -- all 8 episodes at once?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiW-0rmglE

Just for kicks, I decided to just watch it a few minutes ago. And whoa. Endless Eight is far far better than what many might think.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:48   Link #3222
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think I did something like that that showed the difference between the different versions of similar events. But not in some time.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:55   Link #3223
Kyuu
=^^=

It's really interesting how things are generally off sync -- especially the timing of the opening theme. Although, some pairs of episodes do match up in certain scenes, only to divert away from each other again. But then, wham... six of 'em sync up at the end.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 11:53   Link #3224
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Kadokawa Has No Plans for 3rd Haruhi TV Season

Abandon ship, folks.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 12:12   Link #3225
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
"We have no plans for <whatever>" is just company speak for "we haven't announced plans for <whatever>, so I can't comment on it".

So - nothing to see here, folks. Move along.
Old 2011-11-29, 13:08   Link #3226
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Of course this comes from a company response to a twitter by Aya being secretive about some project she's working on.
Old 2011-11-29, 13:30   Link #3227
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Step 1: Release a decent anime.
Step 2: Release an awful second season.
Step 3: Go out with a bang by releasing a pretty good movie, then call it good.

Although to be fair, the strength of the episodes/movie were directly proportional to the strength of the stories they were based on.
Old 2011-11-29, 13:47   Link #3228
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
"We have no plans for <whatever>" is just company speak for "we haven't announced plans for <whatever>, so I can't comment on it".
No, it's company speak for 'it's never going to happen, ever, so tough luck'. I've seen this exact sort of thing with videogame releases before.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 14:04   Link #3229
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No, it's company speak for 'it's never going to happen, ever, so tough luck'. I've seen this exact sort of thing with videogame releases before.
Oh, for fucks sake... It's not like they came out and announced "there won't be any more Haruhi anime", they were asked by a reporter if there was going to be another season. What did you expect them to say? "Uh, we hadn't planned to announce the new season right now, but you twisted our arm... Guess our strategy is out the window now".

No. Sure, it may be - in theory - that they really have no plans for further Haruhi anime but regardless of whether or not something is actually in the works, as long as the time hasn't come when they had planned to announce it, of course they're going to deny it.
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 14:06   Link #3230
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Oh, for fucks sake... It's not like they came out and announced "there won't be any more Haruhi anime"
That's sure what it sounds like to me. If they actually do have something planned, I'd expect them to refuse to comment on it entirely, which would be more professional than, oh, lying.
Old 2011-11-29, 14:11   Link #3231
Goggen

Quote:
That's sure what it sounds like to me. If they actually do have something planned, I'd expect them to refuse to comment on it entirely, which would be more professional than, oh, lying.
It's Kadokawa you're talking about. When were they ever upfront about this franchise?
Old 2011-11-29, 14:13   Link #3232
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It's Kadokawa you're talking about. When were they ever upfront about this franchise?
This statement is the clearest they've been about the franchise in years.
Old 2011-11-29, 14:14   Link #3233
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps.

One thing we generally can't see if trends and projections these companies use to deturming what they are going to animate. Nor can we see the thought process that is going on in the companies involved. Are things like that business, or artistic choices. There have been artists that could make a lot of money doing something again but refuse to do so. Either because they don't like to repeat themselves, they didn't like what it was or how it acted (depending on what form of art we are talking about, graphical or theatrical), or they just are the kind that always want to do something new.

Business would say do it if it makes money. What we can't say is if it would make money verses time and money invested into the production of said anime or movie. Mainly because we can only see the money earned via ticket sales and DVD sales. We never see how much this cost to produce.

On the other hand, there have been titles that waited decades for a sequel, and still got them. Sometimes it is a matter of politics. Sometimes it is a matter of the market (too much of something and it won't sell good). And sometimes it is just the guys are tired of it on the studeo end of things. We can't tell if Haruhi is "old news" for the artists and such. Or if events took their toll in internal politics within the companies involved even without fan reactions.

This is why it is hard to tell what things mean. We only get the external view. Never rarely do we get any insight about what is going on in the companies doors.

That and the production company seems to love to use the story for trolling effects. They are very, very meta if how they announce things. The trouble is, after Disappearance...what is the next major date for the storyline? Feburary 7th? 14th?
Old 2011-11-29, 14:21   Link #3234
Goggen

Quote:
This statement is the clearest they've been about the franchise in years.
Okay, man. If you're dead set on abandoning all hope, based on this flimsy story, I won't try to stop you. Have fun being miserable.
Old 2011-11-29, 14:22   Link #3235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Okay, man. If you're dead set on abandoning all hope, based on this flimsy story, I won't try to stop you. Have fun being miserable.
Have fun being disappointed. Having hope is bad, just like I said, and proved, back in 2009.
Old 2011-11-29, 14:26   Link #3236
Goggen

Quote:
Having hope is bad, just like I said, and proved, back in 2009.
Oh, you mean when they said Haruhi 2009 was just a rebroadcast and it ended up having new episodes?
Old 2011-11-29, 14:29   Link #3237
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kaisos has been the Haruhi pessimist for a while now. The hope would be to get the Genderbending thread going again...to distract from such news. The project was going fairly well. How many novels were plotted? And how many were actually redone with the Genderbent cast?

That seemed to be side tracked by the Visual Novel idea, which is sort of were I lost intrest as I had nothing of note to contribute anymore. At least with a novel swap I could poke and prod at characterization and ponder things within a frame of reference. Game structure is not something I've done, and that sort of art is not my style (one I've very out of practise, and I was mostly into ships and line art...not colors, and cetainly not people.) While story writing was something I use to do, my characters never seemed real enough. I was better as backstory, world building, and history like materials, than personal histories, personalities, and relationships.
Old 2011-11-29, 20:11   Link #3238
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Ithekro raises an interesting point in that we don't know what is going on internally with Kadokawa or Kyoto Animation. For all we know, they could be secretly working on it as we speak and they plan to yet again spring a "pleasant surprise" on us. Or perhaps KyoAni wants to do two cours of Haruhi and they are waiting for Tanigawa to release novel 12 so that they don't blow through the rest without anything left in the tank.

It is also possible that new Haruhi just happens to be below Little Busters or whatever else is on KyoAni's waiting list and Kadokawa is just waiting for KyoAni to say they're ready to do more Haruhi.

And of course, they could have no plans to air Haruhi on TV, but they do have plans for another movie and possibly some OVAs.

As a fan of the franchise, I would love for them to just tell us when we ought to expect more Haruhi, but Kadokawa and Kyoto Animation have always been secretive and have told half-truths and outright lies in the past so I don't expect that to change.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 20:46   Link #3239
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Oh, you mean when they said Haruhi 2009 was just a rebroadcast and it ended up having new episodes?
Half of which were the same episode, yes. Do you begin to see my meaning?
Old 2011-11-29, 20:57   Link #3240
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Oh, for fucks sake... It's not like they came out and announced "there won't be any more Haruhi anime", they were asked by a reporter if there was going to be another season. What did you expect them to say?
"We are not currently working on a third Haruhi season, or planning to do one soon."

If they're lying, this answer would look better after the fact than the one they did give, which is more definitive (presuming its translated correctly).

However, if they really do have no plans on doing a third Haruhi season, maybe it is better to say "We have no plans for a third Haruhi season" in order to quash all hope right now and get it over with.

I have to admit that I'm not feeling terribly optimistic right now about the future of the Haruhi anime franchise.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen