AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-05-03, 16:31   Link #141
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Most of the death were of supporting character/mid lv boss:

Spoiler for killed:

Spoiler for survivors:
Kinue who?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 17:05   Link #142
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Kinue who?
My bad!
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 19:01   Link #143
Wesley84

So any idea about how much coal and limestone they had to dig up in order to make those Elevators? Assuming the construction design is similiar to that of a modern-day skyscraper, only with carbon-based building materials. Getting a figure on the base of the Elevators would be a good start.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 20:43   Link #144
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

oh i see... i wasnt sure how was "death" determined in this anime xD Usually you die if a huge mecha cutes through both your mecha and you in space. I mean... you die even with a small hole in your space suit.... but well i see common logic doesnt apply to this anime.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 00:29   Link #145
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I only watched gundam 00... was wondering which gundam would be best to watch now.. seed, destiny, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
So any idea about how much coal and limestone they had to dig up in order to make those Elevators? Assuming the construction design is similiar to that of a modern-day skyscraper, only with carbon-based building materials. Getting a figure on the base of the Elevators would be a good start.
Coudnt the materials be from space? The CB were gathering materials from some asteroids too.
Old 2008-05-04, 19:38   Link #146
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Echoing incube's request:
I've never watched a full Gundam series before (I've seen bits of Gundam Wing and Seed [On Cartoon Network, obviously.]), and I'm wondering where to start.
I may sound a bit closed-minded, but in all honestly, I'd rather not watch older ones, like the original Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta (was it?), preferably something that aired after 1990.

I've heard enough about 08th Gundam MS Team that I'm interested, and other maybes are Gundam Seed and Gundam 00, though I've heard mixed reviews of the latter.

Thanks in advance.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 23:30   Link #147
4Tran

Moved Ali and elevator discussion to the Gundam 00 Armchair General thread.

If you liked Gundam 00 and are interested in other Gundam shows, then it's largely a question of what you liked, and what you want to see more of. The show most familiar to Gundam 00 is probably Gundam Wing, but 08th MS Team and Gundam 0080 are also pretty good bets if you're interested in something a little shorter. While both of them are based on the larger UC universe, they're self-contained enough to enjoy without any prior experience.

If you want to choose between Gundam 00 and Gundam Seed, then it's again a question of what you're interested in, as both shows have their share of strengths and weaknesses. I prefer Gundam Seed myself, but Gundam 00 may be a better bet since it's newer, and seems to have gained more favor at AnimeSuki. Please note that only half of it has aired so far.
Old 2008-05-06, 04:59   Link #148
Pride
Ore, Sanjou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I've never watched a full Gundam series before (I've seen bits of Gundam Wing and Seed [On Cartoon Network, obviously.]), and I'm wondering where to start.
I may sound a bit closed-minded, but in all honestly, I'd rather not watch older ones, like the original Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta (was it?), preferably something that aired after 1990.

I've heard enough about 08th Gundam MS Team that I'm interested, and other maybes are Gundam Seed and Gundam 00, though I've heard mixed reviews of the latter.

Thanks in advance.
You actually consider the reviews and reactions of 00 mixed?
Gosh, then I'm sure you've never heard of Seed Destiny.
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 08:13   Link #149
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Just finished Seed and Seed Destiny. Although the animation in 00 is better, i definitly enjoyed more seed and destiny more. The mecha fights were the same to me but what made the difference is the story between Kira / Lacus and the relationships surrounding them. They are by far the best couple in all the animes i've seen till now. The level of understanding between them was incredible ( last episodes of destiny ). Although there wasnt much screen time of them together, i loved every second of it.

Now to my question: Is there something following Seed and Seed Destiny? Since there are so many gundam series out there, im not sure if i missed anything related to seed and destiny. I onyl watched the 50 episodes of each.

And for my second q: If i liked GS and GSD and 00 was ok too... what would be good for my next choice? I would prefer good animations, not worse than GSD if possible xD

Last edited by incube; 2008-05-07 at 08:29.
Old 2008-05-07, 09:11   Link #150
4Tran

If you're looking for a show with newer animation, there's nothing in the Gundam universe that'd fit what you're looking for aside from Gundam 00 (which obviously isn't an option). Outside of Gundam, you might want to check up on Macross Frontier or Code Geass. Neither of them are particularly similar to Destiny, but they both have some interesting character interactions - in particular, Macross Frontier's characters play well off each other.

If you're okay with slightly older animation, the character interactions between the leads in Gundam X and Turn A Gundam are also quite good. They'd fit what you're looking better than any of the other Gundam shows out there.
Old 2008-05-07, 09:38   Link #151
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
If you're okay with slightly older animation, the character interactions between the leads in Gundam X and Turn A Gundam are also quite good. They'd fit what you're looking better than any of the other Gundam shows out there.
Thanks for the info. Ill check on Turn A Gundam but i cant find Gundam X anywhere
Old 2008-05-07, 10:56   Link #152
4Tran

Have you checked here? http://animesuki.com/series.php/301.html

Please note that both it and Turn A are quite different from Seed/Destiny. The only real similarity is that they both have interesting character dynamics between the leads.
Old 2008-05-07, 14:03   Link #153
Eagles
Char clone

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you're looking to dive into Gundam, and are unwilling to watch the older series, Wing or SEED are probably the best places to start. Both solid, enjoyable series.

Personally I've always found 08th MS Team to be on the overrated side. It works well enough as the grunt's point of view, but it really lacks when it comes to plot or character development.

4Tran already mentioned it, but 0080 War in the Pocket is an excellent side story, I'd go for that over 08th MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
The mecha fights were the same to me but what made the difference is the story between Kira / Lacus and the relationships surrounding them. They are by far the best couple in all the animes i've seen till now. The level of understanding between them was incredible ( last episodes of destiny ). Although there wasnt much screen time of them together, i loved every second of it.
Really? I always found Kira X Lacus to be one of the lamest couples I've ever seen. To each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
And for my second q: If i liked GS and GSD and 00 was ok too... what would be good for my next choice? I would prefer good animations, not worse than GSD if possible xD
You might want to look int Eureka Seven, I always found it closer to Gundam SEED than most, if not all, of the other Gundams.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 20:34   Link #154
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Turn A Gundam. If I recall you aren't that big a fan of mecha and Turn A Gundam focuses more on the characters than the mecha for the most part. 08th MS Team requires a bit of knowledge on the original series to fully enjoy and appreciate the events, but Turn A is an AU like 00 so everything you need to know is contained within the series itself.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 17:30   Link #155
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

watched the first 2 episodes of Turn A.... the visual part wasnt very nice and the story is kinda confusing....

I guess ill just wait for new gundam animes =D
Old 2008-05-10, 18:36   Link #156
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride View Post
You actually consider the reviews and reactions of 00 mixed?
Gosh, then I'm sure you've never heard of Seed Destiny.
Eh, I've heard of GSD, but it wasn't so much "mixed" as "bad".
I've read some reviews from other places, ANN, blogs, etc. that were mixed, but I had the feeling it was generally good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
If you're looking to dive into Gundam, and are unwilling to watch the older series, Wing or SEED are probably the best places to start. Both solid, enjoyable series.
They perked my interests when I was younger, but I didn't really watch them through since I only caught occasional episodes, so I'll probably try watching them "seriously" this time.
I had heard that it was a bit different from other Gundam series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Turn A Gundam. If I recall you aren't that big a fan of mecha and Turn A Gundam focuses more on the characters than the mecha for the most part. 08th MS Team requires a bit of knowledge on the original series to fully enjoy and appreciate the events, but Turn A is an AU like 00 so everything you need to know is contained within the series itself.
Ah, I was under the impression that the 08th MS Team was a standalone OVA.
I don't really have anything against mecha (as long as it doesn't get in the way of storytelling), but Turn A Gundam still sounds interesting.

Thanks for all the help, I'll probably try out:
Gundam 00
Gundam SEED
Turn A Gundam
Gundam Wing
Gundam 08th War in the Pocket
sometime in the (near/far) future.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 21:30   Link #157
Knight
Eternal Love

I was wondering what was the difference between the blue beam saber Graham's Flag had and the red beam saber that he took from Johann.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 22:25   Link #158
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I was wondering what was the difference between the blue beam saber Graham's Flag had and the red beam saber that he took from Johann.
The Flags do not use beam sabers... They are "sonic/plasma blades", which are more or less physical rather than energy.
Old 2008-05-11, 23:58   Link #159
Derringer
Bluefin Distribution
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
The Flags do not use beam sabers... They are "sonic/plasma blades", which are more or less physical rather than energy.
Plasma isn't something physical like a solid, liquid, or gas either. Rather, it was a stop gap weapon until the Union could actually further refine its own beam saber technology. Technically the plasma blades are a little more efficient in terms of power consumption than the beam sabers in terms of cutting through stuff. It probably lacks the strength to cut through the gn particle infused e-carbon alloy on the gundams though.
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 07:07   Link #160
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

?

Plasma is just ionised gas, with mostly freed electrons.