AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-28, 17:42   Link #241
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Back when PS2 came out, beside the Blu Ray, the big selling point is that it could play the entire PS1 back catalogue. This was why no one ever joked about "PS2 has no games". The jokes about a lack of titles only started from the PS3 era.

Backward compatibility was really not a tradition with Sony (or any other game console company); PS2 was the exception rather than the rule. But since PS2 was so VERY successful, people reasonably use it as the benchmark for Sony consoles
Old 2013-02-28, 17:51   Link #242
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
PCs are always backwards-compatible.

I can play games from 1980 on my computer in 2013.
Old 2013-02-28, 17:59   Link #243
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Technically my PC is backwards compatible with anything from PS1 backwards.
Old 2013-02-28, 18:16   Link #244
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

couldn't get my star control game to work.
Old 2013-02-28, 18:38   Link #245
defki

Quote:

Yeah...

Maybe after hundreds of patches, updates, compatibility and setting changes. Running my old copies of Heroes, Might and Magic or Civilisation is a battle against errors, black screens, no sound and crashes
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 20:30   Link #246
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:

With a lot of workaround, you mean. I still couldn't make my PC run "Metal Fatigue" properly, or "Jurassic War".

Quote:
Some people like to reduce clutter, or cords, or any number of other reasons to not keep the old console around. Your statement is another option, not necessarily a better option. Further, what happens if the console dies? Now you don't have a backup, like you could have if the PS4 were backwards compatible.
I don't see it's any different if the PS4 were backwards compatible. What if the PS4 dies? Same thing happens. You just replace it with another one, and transfer anything you bought from your old console to the new one.

In all honesty, I don't understand the obsession with BC. I treat each console as their own, like how I didn't expect the PS3 to run an Xbox360 game, I kept my PS2 around to play PS2 games, and PS3 for PS3 games. I just gave my cousin my PS2 when I hardly touch it anymore, and borrow it whenever I feel like playing Persona 4 again or something.
Old 2013-03-01, 00:19   Link #247
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

KotoR and W7 seem to hate eachother with a vengeance, so I don't quite agree there.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 04:46   Link #248
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I don't see it's any different if the PS4 were backwards compatible. What if the PS4 dies? Same thing happens. You just replace it with another one, and transfer anything you bought from your old console to the new one.

In all honesty, I don't understand the obsession with BC. I treat each console as their own, like how I didn't expect the PS3 to run an Xbox360 game, I kept my PS2 around to play PS2 games, and PS3 for PS3 games. I just gave my cousin my PS2 when I hardly touch it anymore, and borrow it whenever I feel like playing Persona 4 again or something.
Last generation gave us Online accounts, DLC, online passes and what not. Consoles without BC this generation means, your previous investments are useless, unless you keep your old console.
If you sell them, the digital items you bought are still tied to your account. This mean that we now have things on our account that are useless and which we cannot sell or pass on to others, unless we sell or transfer our accounts to someone else, which is apparently illegal. So I can understand that some people are upset about that, as we didn't had this issue with the swap from 6th to the 7th gen. So the move this time around might impact more people than previously.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 11:59   Link #249
Kudryavka

About not having backwards compatibility...

I just wonder if once PS4 is up and running for some months or so, Sony will rerelease a dirt cheap PS3 for people who want to play old games but don't want to rebuy or be SOL. Like how a few months ago I can walk into a store and buy a brand new PS2 Slim for $95. I doubt the price of the new PS3 would be that low, but still lower than now and way lower than PS4's price will be by then.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 12:10   Link #250
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I just wonder if once PS4 is up and running for some months or so, Sony will rerelease a dirt cheap PS3 for people who want to play old games but don't want to rebuy or be SOL. Like how a few months ago I can walk into a store and buy a brand new PS2 Slim for $95. I doubt the price of the new PS3 would be that low, but still lower than now and way lower than PS4's price will be by then.
Don't compare a few months after release to over 6 years after release. There's no doubt that the PS3's price will drop, even without a new system (which, by the way, they've already shown. The "super slim", though the price isn't changing), since it will be considered "old stock". However, it won't be some super affordable thing like how the Wii became, since the Wii was already ridiculously cheap.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 19:54   Link #251
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
You do know when PS3 was launched it can play PS1 and PS2 library right? The first few batches of PS3 had BC.

"PS3 has no games" came from the lack of big titles at launch and obviously trolls.

I still have my 60gb launch console and a slim but I play my PS2 games on a PS2 since it's cheaper to replace a PS2 than to replace a PS3. If it breaks down from being overused, but luckily I have never had a console break down on me.
Yup, I have one of the fatboys w/ BC too, and....I've almost never played any PS2 games on it either, I just use my, well, PS2 for that.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 20:01   Link #252
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

BC for console is meant to entice someone who hasn't got a console before, to buy the newest machine instead of the cheaper previous generation with existing library of games.

This is probably why Sony took out the BC for PS3 after a while, because they don't feel it is needed past the early period and it can lower production costs.

I do believe they aren't doing it anymore because the market is flooded with cheap 2nd hand consoles, and trying to make PS4 as affordable as they can is the new priority.
Old 2013-03-01, 20:47   Link #253
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Great news about PC-based architecture.

This will surely make PC ports less trashy and easier to optimize for PCs.
Old 2013-03-01, 21:47   Link #254
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Great news about PC-based architecture.

This will surely make PC ports less trashy and easier to optimize for PCs.
I just wish they start to encourage people to use keyboard/mouse on console port of PC games. The modern consoles are already compatible, and the hardware is cheap as peanuts.
Old 2013-03-01, 22:26   Link #255
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
A good Deathadder and Mechanical board are not that cheap haha

You see, in this generation they usually develop games on consoles first to port them to PC later (Hello Dark Souls...), and the result isn't that satisfying given that your usual PC gamer is picky about lots of technical and performance aspects.
Old 2013-03-02, 00:50   Link #256
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
A good Deathadder and Mechanical board are not that cheap haha
If you are a pc enthusiast you would be using a gaming PC. My point is that for the price of a turbo controller you can get a usable mouse and keyboard for your console. Consider how overpriced the console accessories are, that's nearly nothing at all.
Old 2013-03-02, 05:08   Link #257
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
"PS3 has no games" came from the lack of big titles at launch and obviously trolls.
Honestly? This is my biggest concern with the PS4. All the buzz about hardware spectacle, backwards compatibility and how many gizmo's Sony's bloating the PS4 with aside, so far I haven't seen much... meat in the system. There's a few trailers out there, but most of them are looking to play it safe. Sequels of of established franchises that... honestly don't really interest me.

Where's the fresh meat?
Old 2013-03-02, 05:16   Link #258
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Where's the fresh meat?
The conference where they showed it off is more of a teaser. Expect more after Microsoft reveals their own.
Old 2013-03-02, 06:37   Link #259
Sides

Quote:
Wasn't the joke "PS3 has no game"?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 06:54   Link #260
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nah, it was no games. This wasn't helped by the fact that compared to the previous generation, there were a lot less console exclusive games for the PS3 and 360. This meant that those who already owned a 360 saw even less reason to buy a PS3, which further cemented the "no games" gag.