AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-06-11, 00:48   Link #81
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Two thumbs up, way up.

Dunno how the original went by, but I loved every minute of it. Especially the ending; loved how it left it up to your imagination what happens next, but had enough conclusion to leave you satisfied. Then again I'm so used to those due to anime, but I can understand why a lot of people didn't like the ending.

Biggest surprise though was the humour. If you told me I'd be chuckling from time to time before I saw the movie, I would be calling horse manure. Well inserted as well, as it gives variety to what otherwise would be monotonous repeats of the same event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
It's a shame because it kinda gives more reason why Hollywood these days don't go for newer stuff and instead fall back on sequels or franchises.
Actually, the two movies that beat it over the weekend are neither sequels nor franchises.

I mean, yeah, there are BIG names behind both titles (John Greene is known for his past novels AND he is like a quasi internet celebrity, while Disney is Disney), but give credit where it's due... the top 3 of the box office this weekend were pretty much adaptations that either hasn't seen the big screen (FioS), or very loosely adapted from another source (Maleficent). So I wouldn't worry about seeing 'new' stuff coming still.

No what I worry about is 'mecha' still not taking traction in NA. As a huge fan of the genre, I'm sad stuff like this and Pacific Rim isn't that popular. And no, I don't count Transformers.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 02:26   Link #82
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm going to watch it again later this week. And LoweGear knows how much I hate spending money on stuff.

And yeah, at the initial stages, Cage is relying on save-scum memories, but he does get legitimately better - remember Germany? He fights and sneaks his way to the dam alone, without Rita's help.

The ending is good, and I liked how everyone's outfits were basically practical, the stuff you'd see modern soldiers wearing, as opposed to manga!Rita's bodysuit. Though manga!Rita was a lot cuter and infinitely more moe than movie!Rita... who, to be fair, looked like a badass.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 16:52   Link #83
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Actually, the two movies that beat it over the weekend are neither sequels nor franchises.

I mean, yeah, there are BIG names behind both titles (John Greene is known for his past novels AND he is like a quasi internet celebrity, while Disney is Disney), but give credit where it's due... the top 3 of the box office this weekend were pretty much adaptations that either hasn't seen the big screen (FioS), or very loosely adapted from another source (Maleficent). So I wouldn't worry about seeing 'new' stuff coming still.

No what I worry about is 'mecha' still not taking traction in NA. As a huge fan of the genre, I'm sad stuff like this and Pacific Rim isn't that popular. And no, I don't count Transformers.
Technically speaking Maleficent already had some background and foundation to work with. I mean it's based off of sleeping beauty.

Fault in Our stars also had a strong background too.

All you kill I mean who outside of Japan would read it in sufficient numbers to compete?
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-18, 13:47   Link #84
james0246

What a surprisingly good film. I honestly did not expect much going into the theatre (and IMAX 3D is wasted on this film), but boy was I wrong. Pacing and editing were top notch (sadly, it might have been a little too fast paced), and the overall direction was fairly tight. While the story didn't necessarily blow me away, enough of the super-science/magic was nicely lampshaded so as to relieve some of the stress in trying to actually explain anything, and the characters were often too one-dimensional to really matter (I never learned the names of anyone besides Cage and Rita, and any of their background was literally only used as exposition to prove Cruise's time traveling capabilities) but it was the humour that really made this film so exciting, fun and human. I'm still unclear why the aliens were called 'mimics', and some extra moments between Blunt and Cruise were completely unnecessary, otherwise this was a near perfect popcorn film made all the better by being a pseudo-original idea (I have no idea how this film stacks up against it's Japanese source). 84/100

Additionally kudos to the writers who understood that making Cruise's character an actor (more or less) was a great way of setting up his ability to memorize vast amounts of details that could be used during the repeats.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 10:11   Link #85
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ Agree'd 100%

I wouldn't have gone to see it if a source I trust said it was a suprisingly pretty damn good movie.

I wonder if he can reset the day still or is that gone since the omega is.

Also, Cruise's screams as he dies are hilarious XD (thecarone)

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2014-06-21 at 18:49.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 23:39   Link #86
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I came across this guy's forum and he's working on an excellent render of the power exoskeleton seen in the movie:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...l=1#post588890

Seriously, I'm left speechless. And he's not done yet.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 04:38   Link #87
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

I finally got around to watching this movie and I'm glad I did. After the initial hype when it came out I decided to read the manga. Edge of Tomorrow definitely captures the heart of All You Need is Kill albeit wrapped up in a pretty Hollywood bow. I didn't find the lack of character depth in any of the side characters particularly annoying as this story is centred squarely at the feet of Cage and Rita. To put extra energy into other characters would've lessened the pay off between Cage and Rita imo.

Spoiler for ORIGINAL ENDING:
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:04   Link #88
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

only Cage got development in the movie though. they cut out all of Rita's back story, which was one of my issues with the movie. despite that though, i still greatly enjoyed the movie. maybe we'll get an anime adaptation of the novel..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 08:40   Link #89
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

CineFix takes a look on the difference between the movie Edge of Tomorrow and manga All You Need is Kill.

Old 2017-06-15, 21:05   Link #90
Destiny_Sword

They are working the sequel right? The movie is good, but it got some bad receptions from many people.
Destiny_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote