AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-16, 10:50   Link #381
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
23, a lovely episode. It could almost be said to be developing the story of a budding romance in the midst of trouble; even tho not much focus was given to the romance except enough to let us know that Tetsu had feelings for Shige and vice versa. (did anyone else get reminded of Tatsu from Peacemaker Kurogane? ) - Tetsu represented her escape; more emotionally, and then later, physically.

As with every Mushishi episode, great "tragic" characters, interesting story that caught me into wanting a good ending, superb pacing - the slow, calm yet effective storytelling -

Spoiler for no really, this is a real spoiler.:

Btw, Shige is a beautiful name.

Oh. Page 20 GET!
Ah yes, episode 23. Yet another demonstration of the original author's creativity. One must ask, just how does he come come up with this stuff? Some of the phenomenons that he creates out of fiction are simply incredible, and even more remarkable is how "natural" they seem to we the audience after a while.

"Ah, now I see, the girl's voice attracts a rust like mushi. Of course, that explains it all." That was not sarcasm, but really, the author's creativity is one thing, and its his story telling skill that persuades us to accept them as only natural.

I've finished the series, but I hope people get to see episode 25 on english fansub soon. A very impressionable episode out of all these great episodes.
Old 2006-07-16, 12:09   Link #382
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Ah yes, episode 23. Yet another demonstration of the original author's creativity. One must ask, just how does he come come up with this stuff? Some of the phenomenons that he creates out of fiction are simply incredible, and even more remarkable is how "natural" they seem to we the audience after a while.

"Ah, now I see, the girl's voice attracts a rust like mushi. Of course, that explains it all." That was not sarcasm, but really, the author's creativity is one thing, and its his story telling skill that persuades us to accept them as only natural.
Very true, I guess we are just so used to Mushi and such Incredible things happening in this Anime that we just take it as it comes. But yeah, its remarkable how he keeps it human, yet makes us accept these things which are clearly inhuman.

Maybe because at the core of this Anime, it is Human. Human reactions, Human decisions, Human actions; the Incredible Mushi only serve as catalysts to bring these Humans out.

I really do believe that Humans are what Mushishi is all about. Its really a plane, a medium, to tell stories about humans.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 15:20   Link #383
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i don't know how long it will last, but Mushishi just showed up as #1 on the anidb top ten list

it will probably be bumped down to 5 or 6 because they weight it by number of user ratings also so they always put Full Metal Alchemist as number one and Kenshin as number 2. Suzumiya Haruhi showed up as number one for a couple of weeks, but they pushed it down to number 3.

it's still nice to know that so many people love Mushishi enough to rate it a 9 or a 10. if you haven't voted on anidb yet, please register (only takes a minute) and vote a 10 for Mushishi. If it stays on the top ten then more people will see this wonderful series.

***EDIT*** wow, only fifteen minutes after i posted that, the mods at anidb shifted the list...
FMA - #1
Haruhi - #2
Kenshin - #3
Mushishi - #8

still in the top ten, but lower than i'd have thought... there probably won't be anything knocking it off the list anytime soon, though

Last edited by lommm; 2006-07-20 at 16:09.
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 18:41   Link #384
gianna
gigi

http://community.livejournal.com/mangacast/290938.html
Mushishi manga licensed~ Someone heard my pleas lol

Anyone know about how many months Del Rey generally takes between volume releases

Last edited by gianna; 2006-07-21 at 01:00.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 21:14   Link #385
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna

Anyone know about how many months Del Rey generally takes between volume releases?
ZOMG ZOMG... Del Rey = Mushishi in ENGLISH????
Old 2006-07-20, 22:47   Link #386
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:

Anyone know about how many months Del Rey generally takes between volume releases?
I saw the news at 4chan, and it made my day, or rather, the month, probably even the year. Immensely gratifying. The volumes cannot come soon enough. Now, I await the hopefully inevitable licensing of the anime. I can't wait for the day until translated volumes and DVDs of Mushishi sits exaltedly on my bookshelf.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 00:58   Link #387
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
I saw the news at 4chan, and it made my day, or rather, the month, probably even the year. Immensely gratifying. The volumes cannot come soon enough. Now, I await the hopefully inevitable licensing of the anime. I can't wait for the day until translated volumes and DVDs of Mushishi sits exaltedly on my bookshelf.
It made my month too
I've been wanting to buy some of the DVD volumes but it's best to wait - It will be licensed too

Anyone have any news on the live action movie

Last edited by gianna; 2007-08-26 at 00:59.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:01   Link #388
lommm
l'homme de lommm

just that it will star Joe Odagiri who is a good actor, though not blond and blue eyed like Ginko

he was in a strange movie called A Bright Future by Kiyoshi Kurosawa

it had magic glowing red jellyfish in it

maybe Katsuhiro Otomo saw that film and thought the jellyfish was like the mushi
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:01   Link #389
Zappster

Ginko's blond? I always thought it was silvery white. Maybe I need my eyes checking. Regardless there's ways of getting round the difference in hair colour and eye colour. I look forward to hearing more about the live action movie. There's always room for more Mushishi.

Great news on the licensing of the manga. I don't ordinarily purchase that much manga but the show is good enough that I'd like to have both the manga and anime in an official translated form some day. Hopefully that'll become a reality soon.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:08   Link #390
yipsl
otaku since 1970

This is really the best anime for thinking adult otaku. While I still love fantasy and SF anime after all these years, I can't always identify with many teen characters the way I could back in the seventies and eighties. I can identify with many of the characters in Mushishi.

As for where it takes place, I always saw it as a sort of timeless rural Japan with anachronisms; ancient and modern, mystical and scientific. If only we could tell stories like this with quality animation in the West. Just imagine a timeless Ireland or Britain with as complex an approach to fairy lore as anime approaches both original and imagined Japanese folklore. The closest to that I've seen is "Faeries" (1999), which we often watch with our son.

Anyways, though I enjoy more typical anime like xxxholic, kage kara mamaru and have watched anime since the original astroboy on channel 20 in Washington DC back in the early seventies, mushishi has been a real treat with its own unique lore ranging from the bright river of life that's too dangerous to contemplate for long, to the often parasitic, but sometimes symbiotic nature of mushi.
yipsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:37   Link #391
Cal-Reflector

Don't believe these have posted here before, but a few pictures I found that include Tanyuu. Fanart and fansites for Mushishi are excruciatingly hard to come by...

Joe Odagiri looks like a good pick. Also, does anyone know what other characters from Mushishi will be featured in the movie? Shinra and Renzu obachaan will be very very hard to cast, I think, to find a teenager and a young girl who can portray, respectively, a boy beyond his years in wisdom and a haughty and worldly-wise lady. I hope they do Fude no Umi, the special effects of that episode in a movie would be... awesome.
Old 2006-07-21, 06:54   Link #392
Zappster

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004472501/

I've been checking out some of the DVDs on yesasia and came across this ^
Can anyone tell me what is contained on those DVDs or at least what it says in the description? A summary would be fine. My Japanese is sadly limited to smatterings of kana so I have no idea what it's all about. All I know is that it doesn't seem to be part of the anime episode releases since I think the vol 6. is the last volume for the anime episodes(limited edition wise).
Old 2006-07-21, 09:10   Link #393
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Simple! It's about money. All you have to do is buy the R2 DVD and convince three friends to also buy it, and they convince three friends, and so on... They will make a second season if they believe that it will make money.
Really, if only it were as easy as that
Yeah. Even though YesAsia.com is offering free shipping, buying the whole Mushishi series (regular editions only) would cost me $443.75. What makes you think I've got that kind of money?

Or three friends?

(Actually, I just spent $200 on stuff from YesAsia--received the package yesterday--but didn't buy any Mushishi DVDs. I was thinking of buying the seven volumes of the manga, which would have been only $57.43. Nice to know that it's been licensed. Thanks gianna!)

では、
アイスル未来

& I'd like to note: Mushishi's mangaka is a woman. Her name is Urushibara Yuki (漆原友紀).

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-07-21 at 12:30.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 09:40   Link #394
DaFool
Resident devil

Weeee Mushishi manga by Del Rey! I'll be sure to pick that up next time I drop by Singapore, hopefully it'll be out.

Quite frankly, this is yet so far the only series I have encountered that has successfully combined logic and humanity, science and social work. More often it'll go too deep into fantasy or sci-fi and not be about people anymore; at other times stories will be too melodramatic and emotional and forget to be objective.

This is the perfect balance. Ah, such talent!
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 11:40   Link #395
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster

Can anyone tell me what is contained on those DVDs or at least what it says in the description? A summary would be fine. My Japanese is sadly limited to smatterings of kana so I have no idea what it's all about. All I know is that it doesn't seem to be part of the anime episode releases since I think the vol 6. is the last volume for the anime episodes(limited edition wise).
The DVD contents list goes something like this, I think. It would take me a huge amount of time to translate the description, I'm sorry to say.

--------------------
Contents:
1. Mushishi Digest
2. Mushishi DVD 5 prerelease party (Mushishi feast) images
3. Photo gallery of endings
4. Introduction of & brief commentary on all 26 episodes' main characters

Bonus audio:
Audio commentary by director Nagahama Hiroshi and seiyuu Nakano Yuuto

Bonus disc content:
Video compilation of all 26 endings

Extras:
1. Specially made figure
2. Specially printed flyer (Mushi Cage(?) Newspaper)
3. Set of 3 postcards
4. Limited edition 12 inch Ginko action figure
--------------------

The action figure seems to be listed twice. Some of this might be wrong, but as you said, this doesn't have any actual episodes. It seems to be a bonus release for major fans only. No mention of how long the DVDs are (hours & minutes), or what is on each disc.

では、
アイスル未来
Old 2006-07-21, 11:45   Link #396
Zappster

I guess I was secretly hoping for some mention of bonus episodes or something. Otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth my while getting it. Thanks alot anyway.
Old 2006-07-21, 12:25   Link #397
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Anyone know about how many months Del Rey generally takes between volume releases
Time between releases of some of Del Rey's manga:

xxxHolic 1 & 2: 2 months+
xxxHolic 2 & 3: 3 months+
xxxHolic 3 & 4: 3 months+
xxxHolic 4 & 5: 4 months+
Basilisk 1 & 2: 3 months+ projected
Basilisk 2 & 3: 3 months projected
Basilisk 3 & 4: 3 months projected
Wallflower 3 & 4: 3 months
Wallflower 4 & 5: 3 months
Wallflower 5 & 6: 3 months
Wallflower 6 & 7: 3 months

according to Anime News Network.

But I don't know the usual span between the acquisition of a license & the release of a first volume. Anyone?

(もう、クレジットカードは溶けていってしまうよ。そんなに買いたければ。)

では、
アイスル未来
Old 2006-07-21, 13:57   Link #398
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster

Here's an image so you can see the figure
http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndisc01qn3.jpg

It's listed at Cd Japan for about $73 - yet at YesAsia for $102 - Hmm such a difference
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-22953

Aisuru Mirai too - The DVDS -while only by a few dollars- are cheaper at CD Japan
Or - perhaps buy the cheaper US DVDS Unless you prefer R2 only

Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai
Time between releases of some of Del Rey's manga
Thank you The site that I posted above says that the first volume will be out early 2007 Hopefully Mushishi is released like their other series

About Joe Odagiri - I've only seen him act in Shinsengumi Which was on NHK in 2004
Ginko comes off as pretty relaxed most of the time It will be interesting to see how Odagiri does
(Shinsengumi he was running around, swinging a sword, and yelling lol)

I just remembered I saw him on Top Runner (just about a year ago)
http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1104lp9.gif
lol That's our Ginko Someone should post a more current image though

Last edited by gianna; 2007-08-26 at 01:12.
Old 2006-07-21, 14:20   Link #399
Zappster

Quote:
Here's an image so you can see the figure
http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndisc01qn3.jpg

It's listed at Cd Japan for about $73 - yet at YesAsia for $102 - Hmm such a difference
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-22953
I've been told about the price difference before. As far as I know though, the CDJapan price doesn't include delivery and doesn't include any customs charges I may have to pay on importing such things. The yesasia price whilst more expensive has free delivery and I don't have to worry about the customs charges, plus the delivery to the UK usually takes about 4 days so it's relatively quick as well as being cheap. In the end I'd probably get it quicker and cheaper from yesasia(going by past experience that is).

The figure looks ok, but I'm not exactly an enthusiast in that field. Thanks for the pictures anyway.
Old 2006-07-22, 00:51   Link #400
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Quite frankly, this is yet so far the only series I have encountered that has successfully combined logic and humanity, science and social work. More often it'll go too deep into fantasy or sci-fi and not be about people anymore; at other times stories will be too melodramatic and emotional and forget to be objective.
Well said, this series is a Gem is all I can add. And now with the manga coming in English, I wont have to worry about it ever finishing. Needless to say, I'll be greedily buying the volumes.

Quote:
Do you ever go to 4chan I've posted several Mushishi fan arts there (at least 70 images)
I dont frequent 4chan. Mind reposting them here or uploading them somewhere or linking to them? There can never be enough Mushishi art.

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural