AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-28, 19:08   Link #181
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I heard it was 2 parts. There are bits they can cut out though particularly early on in the series. For instance most of episode 4 and 6.
Old 2008-07-28, 19:44   Link #182
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, if they're going to chop it up and it's going to be the same as the show (for the most part), what's the point? If they wanted to add extra scenes, why don't they just make a couple of OVAs and give them half episode numbers (like 5.5) or something?
Old 2008-07-28, 19:54   Link #183
ChibiToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well, if they're going to chop it up and it's going to be the same as the show (for the most part), what's the point? If they wanted to add extra scenes, why don't they just make a couple of OVAs and give them half episode numbers (like 5.5) or something?

Very true... I agree with that.

CT
Old 2008-07-29, 10:08   Link #184
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The point is that they're milking a cash cow, it's got a big fanbase now, and I bet a lot of them will go to the movie theaters just to see it, heck if it opened out here I'd go see it myself.

I would have liked an alternate retelling, however the film version could be better than the series, some early parts of the series did drag a bit.

You could just say that this is some kind of directors cut, if you will.
Old 2008-07-29, 13:17   Link #185
Prolific

I really want a Lord Genome prequel.
Old 2008-07-29, 14:31   Link #186
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

There's an interview with Lord Genome's voice actor about the movie recording up on the movie website now: http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/s...w02/index.html

Things I found interesting:
-He says that he didn't have much to do this time, but that Lord Genome has a new episode.
-The part where Lord Genome first appears has very intense art, and the art alone is overwhelming.
-This is the first time he's recorded together with Anti-Spiral's actor.
-The character he likes the most this time is Leite.

So, it seems that the Anti-Spiral is going to be in the first movie... Maybe in a flashback with Lord Genome? Hmm...
Old 2008-08-04, 22:58   Link #187
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

so wait let me get this straight the movie's gonna be a summary of the anime?

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
Old 2008-08-05, 17:23   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pure speculation on my part:
Probably a summarization of the series with a lot of tweaks and "things we didn't get to animate in the series".

If you remember the series AIR and the following movie -- I'm betting there's some similarity in how it plays out.

However, I can't rule out the chance that some pivotal plot points might change (Yoko/Kamina, Simon/Nia) just to fan the buzz.
Old 2008-08-05, 18:44   Link #189
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However, I can't rule out the chance that some pivotal plot points might change (Kamina/Yoko, Simon/Nia) just to fan the buzz.
You mean that they would animate more scenes for them, right? Because Gainax would never change the Simon/Nia-Kamina/Yoko coupling scheme.
Old 2008-08-05, 21:09   Link #190
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Yeah, there's no way in hell that Gainax will change Simon and Nia's coupling.
Just be glad that Gainax does not pull a Gunbuster/Diebuster movie stunt again. The movie versions of Gunbuster and Diebuster are just the ovas cut up and spliced together.
Old 2008-08-05, 22:00   Link #191
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Yeah, there's no way in hell that Gainax will change Simon and Nia's coupling.
Specially considering they're promoting Nia as the main heroine even more than they did for the TV show, with a very prominent illustration on the official poster and the cover of the single release of the theme for the movie all for herself.

Not to mention that, among the Japanese fandom, the couple is probably the most popular.
Old 2008-08-09, 08:22   Link #192
7Th
Mixtape

New images and information for the movie. What does it says about Simon and Nia?

Old 2008-08-09, 11:20   Link #193
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Hmm, basically they're claiming that it's not just a recollection of the TV series, but that it contains lots of new added footage, which easily make up to an episode's worth of new footage. I suppose we're looking at 30 mins worth of unseen stuff. It also means they'll be recycling around 60-70 mins of TV material...
Old 2008-08-11, 13:55   Link #194
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

According to reports on 2ch about the "Eve of the Movie" event that took place yesterday, Nakashima said that the last 23 minutes of the movie will be completely new.

They were also shown four clips of the new animation from the movie (without voices), with scenes such as Daiganzan VS Daigankai and Adiane VS Yoko.

EDIT: Nia won't be getting a haircut in the movie (I guess because there's not enough time), so it's likely that a lot of Sushio's work from episode 15 won't be making it in...

Last edited by CSakuraS; 2008-08-11 at 14:26.
Old 2008-08-11, 20:48   Link #195
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSakuraS View Post
According to reports on 2ch about the "Eve of the Movie" event that took place yesterday, Nakashima said that the last 23 minutes of the movie will be completely new.

They were also shown four clips of the new animation from the movie (without voices), with scenes such as Daiganzan VS Daigankai and Adiane VS Yoko.

EDIT: Nia won't be getting a haircut in the movie (I guess because there's not enough time), so it's likely that a lot of Sushio's work from episode 15 won't be making it in...
:O :O :O

Anything else on the 4 new clips shown?
Old 2008-08-11, 21:01   Link #196
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
:O :O :O

Anything else on the 4 new clips shown?
They were told to keep silent about the new animation, so I think we're lucky enough to hear this much. D:
Old 2008-08-11, 21:04   Link #197
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
They were told to keep silent about the new animation, so I think we're lucky enough to hear this much. D:
Oh, well. Anything new was revealed on that movie pamphlet they advertised on the official site?

This one:

Old 2008-08-11, 21:07   Link #198
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Oh, well. Anything new was revealed on that movie pamphlet they advertised on the official site?

This one:

All I know is that it's only four pages long and everyone was saying it was a ripoff.
Old 2008-08-11, 21:08   Link #199
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
All I know is that it's only four pages long and everyone was saying it was a ripoff.

One final question: what's the final "mood" you sense in the people that attended the event? As in: will the movie be more intense, how does the new animation feels, which characters will have a bigger role or which sequences will be cut completely.
Old 2008-08-11, 21:26   Link #200
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:

One final question: what's the final "mood" you sense in the people that attended the event? As in: will the movie be more intense, how does the new animation feels, which characters will have a bigger role or which sequences will be cut completely.
Well, I already posted everything I read about the movie from the event. The main attractions were the live orchestrations of the BGM (with some new arrangements by Taku Iwasaki), stuff with the seiyuu, and the "Viral's Sweet Dream" story. All I've heard about the Q&A with Nakashima is that he was asked what happened to Viral in the 7 year timeskip and his answer was that he would like to get it animated someday.

But nearly everyone was saying that they cried, laughed, and had goosebumps the whole time and that they were glad they attended. (The DVD of the event will be coming out in December btw: http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANSB-2770)
Closed Thread

Tags
action, mecha