AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-05-12, 01:19   Link #1
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Sony PSP vs Nintendo DS

Personally I think the PSP looks more desireable, but it will probably be expensive.

Sony PSP
http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562

Nintendo DS
http://www.ferrago.com/story/3560
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 01:45   Link #2
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
If I can play my GBA games on thier DS, then its a DS for me. Nintendo has more hand-held franchieses imo. (Megaman, Advance Wars, Ogre Tactics, Mario Kart, Mario in general etc. etc.) I can't imagine anything from Sony going into hand-held without it being absolutely horrific. (RE for Gameboy comes to mind, true things have changed, but you get my drift.)
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 01:46   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
Personally I think the PSP looks more desireable, but it will probably be expensive.
About the PSP, I'm still waiting on two important details: the price, and real-world battery life impressions. Certainly, in terms of style and advanced technology, PSP is pretty slick... but I still remember the Sega GameGear...

The DS is a lot clearer to me now in terms of what it does, and I'm anxious to take a look at some of the neat ideas people come up with for all the various parts (stylus, wireless, two screens, microphone, etc.) Plus, backwards compatibility is always a bonus. I'm fairly confident in the price point and battery life based on the GBASP, so it'll probably just come down to the new games.

Certainly, though, this year's E3 is pretty exciting - Nintendo's pre-show conference pretty much stole the show so far... (Realistic Zelda!)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
If I can play my GBA games on thier DS, then its a DS for me.
Yes, you can - there are two game slots on the DS - one for GBA games, and one for DS games.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 01:55   Link #4
flammie
White Dragon

If what the gamespot report on the PSP is true, that "Its built-in lithium-ion battery will have a life of 2.5 hours with video", then its gonna suck. No one wants a portable that only lasts 2.5 hours.
flammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 09:14   Link #5
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
I am sure they will have some way to backup the psp, maybe have owners buy a spare battery or something. From what I've seen from the specs, it'll be a handheld that's just a little bit less powerful than our ps2 and that will be very impressive. But the price is definitely an issue.

And the Nintendo DS is practically a sure thing. All the gameboy owners will definitely want to upgrade and they'll still be able to play their GB games. And it's definitely original. You can come up w/ some many things w/ the dual screen.. for example, a sports game (soccer or basketball) and use the 2nd screen for play calling options. I can see tons of new innovating ways of playing games from this now.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 10:20   Link #6
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
I think I'll still go with the PSP just because I'm a sony zealot and they should be making an awesome final fantasy for the PSP. Hopefully they will be able to bring up the battery life, the handheld being so powerful it makes it really hard on batteries and a 3 hour battery life really don't cut it.

I'm sure they will manage to fix the battery life and hopefully lower the price from what the current rumour is which is like $200.
DAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 11:18   Link #7
hanamichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK
I think I'll still go with the PSP just because I'm a sony zealot and they should be making an awesome final fantasy for the PSP.
SquareEnix was one of the first publishers to jump on the DS list, so you will probably see an FF on there way before PSP.

And if anyone managaed to watch the MP:Hunters video, that is just...wow...
hanamichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 11:53   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanamichi
SquareEnix was one of the first publishers to jump on the DS list, so you will probably see an FF on there way before PSP.
In fact, word is that we'll soon be seeing a Crystal Chronicles appearing on the DS. That was an amazingly fun multiplayer game, and I can just imagine the possibilities over wireless with two screens (touch menu on the bottom, action on the top, anyone?) - I'm looking forward to hearing more!
Old 2004-05-12, 11:53   Link #9
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK
I think I'll still go with the PSP just because I'm a sony zealot and they should be making an awesome final fantasy for the PSP. Hopefully they will be able to bring up the battery life, the handheld being so powerful it makes it really hard on batteries and a 3 hour battery life really don't cut it.

I'm sure they will manage to fix the battery life and hopefully lower the price from what the current rumour is which is like $200.
"Sony Europe boss Chris Deering has been having a good old chin-wag once again, this time with industry magazine MCV concerning the pricing of the rather exciting Sony PSP. Deering suggested that the UK launch price would be "closer to £200 than £300", with the Japanese price-point of 4,800 Yen translating to about £240, or a hefty $450."

Also taken from Ferrago, which I also posted in another thread in the games forum.
That is just too expensive for me. I'll probably won't get a PSP or a DS anyway, since handheld gaming doesn't appeal to me.
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 11:59   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
"Sony Europe boss Chris Deering has been having a good old chin-wag once again, this time with industry magazine MCV concerning the pricing of the rather exciting Sony PSP. Deering suggested that the UK launch price would be "closer to £200 than £300", with the Japanese price-point of 4,800 Yen translating to about £240, or a hefty $450."

Also taken from Ferrago, which I also posted in another thread in the games forum.
That is just too expensive for me.
Wow... $450... that's more than any of the consoles when they were first released, and almost as much as I paid for my iPod with a 30GB hard drive! At that price, it's definitely wait-and-see for me... hmm... I guess we should also wait on the official word on price from SCEA.
Old 2004-05-12, 13:01   Link #11
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
with the Japanese price-point of 4,800 Yen translating to about £240, or a hefty $450."
Wait... wasn't the exchange rate approximately 108 to 1? How did 4800 yen become $450? Shouldn't it be $45? Or is the yen amount wrong? (more like 48,000 yen instead?)
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 13:46   Link #12
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Wait... wasn't the exchange rate approximately 108 to 1? How did 4800 yen become $450? Shouldn't it be $45? Or is the yen amount wrong? (more like 48,000 yen instead?)
Oh yeah, that's very true! I assume they meant 48,000 yen, because it can't be 4,800...
Old 2004-05-12, 15:00   Link #13
RichMan
????

I wonder how long the battery will last on those two.

After reading both stories I think I'll get the Nintendo DS

It looks really cool, has two screens, offers many extras(such as voice, touch screen, can use GBA games and new DS games alike).

I don't know what type of games I can expect from the PSP. I hope that it doesn't just play remakes of PS1 games. *thinks maybe it would be better to get a laptop and have a few emulators on it*
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 16:35   Link #14
Ending

PSP certainly looks more interesting, but it might have the same problem as Nokia's N-Gage had: easily scratched and smudged screen. But that wide-screen certainly sounds more appealing than two smaller ones, not to speak that it will have a lot more hardware to back it up.

Guess we will next see a boom of old PSX games ported to PSP.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 17:03   Link #15
Final

I want and probably will get both. But I'm more then positive that I'll get the DS first. The clamshell design, cartridge and card game formats (won't have to buy a memory card and don't have to worry about them getting scratched,) and dual screen are more reason for me to get it then just processing power.

Sony loves money sinks for some reason, just like them not adding 4 controller ports to the PS2 (so you have to buy the adapter) gives me the feeling the battery life will only be 2 and half hours so you have to buy a better battery, screen protector and game covers. It would have been nice if sony would have made it easier to burn movies to watch on the PSP or even had a built in Mp3 player but they go out of their way with a ridulous amount of antipiracy protection that it will be either a pain or take too much time to do (I actually returned my sony minidisk player after seeing what a pain in the rear all the anti-piracy protection was). And, with all the problems the very first PS2s had I'll probably wait until the kinks are worked out to buy one.

The DS seems more portable then the PSP, like the GBA SP. I know I can probably just throw it in my pocket and go with out any worries. and I've never heard of people complain that they've bought a nintendo product and had to take it back coz it didn't work. The DS will be my first buy.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 17:06   Link #16
wnkryo
HainShodan

wow, the PSP looks crazy. I would love to get one if the price and game line up is acceptable.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 19:47   Link #17
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
I saw the Sony's and Nintendo's E3 press conferences Live through Gamespot. I'd have to say, both the PSP and Nintendo DS look amazing. Although I'm leaning toward PSP, with its widescreen LCD display, wireless capability, game library. MGS Acid just looks great on it. Although DS will have a huge library since its backwards compatible.
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 19:50   Link #18
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
I saw the Sony's and Nintendo's E3 press conferences Live through Gamespot. I'd have to say, both the PSP and Nintendo DS look amazing. Although I'm leaning toward PSP, with its widescreen LCD display, wireless capability, game library. MGS Acid just looks great on it. Although DS will have a huge library since its backwards compatible.
The DS also has wireless capability and like you said, an even larger game library... And it has two LCD displays instead of one...
Old 2004-05-12, 19:58   Link #19
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Plus its touch sensitive, has both local wireless connection and Wi-Fi, DS stands for dual purpose. You can see them at this link, might need a membership though.
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 21:28   Link #20
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
Plus its touch sensitive, has both local wireless connection and Wi-Fi, DS stands for dual purpose. You can see them at this link, might need a membership though.
How does DS stand for Dual Purpose?
flammie is offline   Reply With Quote