Notices

Old 2004-05-24, 11:09   Link #1
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
US draft?

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ua_congressorg

whee! thank god i am not a senior!

plus i am on the young side of sophmore.

so what do you think?
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:17   Link #2
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
College and Canada will not be options
college no excuse eh?..... >_>a;;;;

Quote:
In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in.
hmm.....expect me to run south of the border permanently......

To the US Gov't...... :fingers: *flies away*

Mexico querido aqui vengo......
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:19   Link #3
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Thanx Hobo for finding this, I going to call my representative, newspaper and TV studios about this. thanx for the info, the whole situation is just wrong and now they are trying to quietly pass this bill, our government stinks! well not our government but teh people who runs it.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:35   Link #4
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Not that I'm for draft dodging but the Draft should be used for more....I guess domestic issues. If it's used for the current situation, I believe that it will be abused. I have to register for SS (not Social Security) in order to get financial aid. Having women added to the draft isn't bad, you get the equal rights thing going. Either way...I'm definately going to have to read more about this before voting this Nov. Thanks for the info!!
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:39   Link #5
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
You know... during the the breaking of the news of the prisoner abuse debacle, a Canadian Underground Railraod has come out offering safe haven in undisclosed locations (well duh) in Canada to consciencious objector and/or draft-dodgers. This Railroad apparently aided quite a number of Americans draft-dodgers in escaping a term in Vietnam--incidentally, said Railroad has nothing to do with George W. Bush, Hi Ho!

I've since lost the article--do a search on Yahoo News with the appllacable terms and it might pop up.

EDIT to Spiggy's SS note: Yeah, every man registers for the Selective Service--even for those who are not a citizen(me = green card).
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:43   Link #6
Lefteris_D

I dont really see where this thing is a problem. Many countries(including mine) have similar draft systems. In most of these cases all male citizens above 18 need to serve for a small period of time(usualy a year) in the army. The standard excuse for that is that everyone needs to have a basic training in case something happens so you can defend your border and preserve the freedom of your homeland.

I already finished my service and I did learn alot... about guns.

On a relevant note I consider myself lucky as my father had to serve for 3 years whereas I only served for one.
Old 2004-05-24, 11:45   Link #7
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
It's only a legislation.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:47   Link #8
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteris_D
I dont really see where this thing is a problem. Many countries(including mine) have similar draft systems. In most of these cases all male citizens above 18 need to serve for a small period of time(usualy a year) in the army. The standard excuse for that is that everyone needs to have a basic training in case something happens so you can defend your border and preserve the freedom of your homeland.

I already finished my service and I did learn alot... about guns.

On a relevant note I consider myself lucky as my father had to serve for 3 years whereas I only served for one.
it is a problem when they are going to send young men and women to fight a worthless and causeless war.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:48   Link #9
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Well I recently got this letter in my mail... it went something like this ... "We invite you to volunteer for the draft. Failure to VOLUNTEER will be punished with up to 6 years in jail and fines up to 5000$. Unless you are ... [a bunch of excuses 99% of all U.S. males don't have].

I sorta decided to volunteer ...

I think if Bush does start drafting ... it's going to be the last straw. If the country doesn't flip out after that ... California definately needs to break off from the rest of the U.S. cause people here are already flipping out ...
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:01   Link #10
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Well I recently got this letter in my mail... it went something like this ... "We invite you to volunteer for the draft. Failure to VOLUNTEER will be punished with up to 6 years in jail and fines up to 5000$. Unless you are ... [a bunch of excuses 99% of all U.S. males don't have].

I think if Bush does start drafting ... it's going to be the last straw. If the country doesn't flip out after that ... California definately needs to break off from the rest of the U.S. cause people here are already flipping out ...
I think you mean the Selective Service Registration, yeah--it's mandatory unless you basically declare yourself an "unfit" man, which is a pain to shout that out loud to the world. I registered--kind of a must if I ever want my citizenship--on my 18th birthday.

And Guts: Legislation = Law = Break/Act against it and bad things happen to you.

Good thing that it's still pending though--where's the recall system when you need it?
Old 2004-05-24, 12:20   Link #11
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Ahh, I'm too old and my hearing is shot. I'm not really old, but they tend to grab the youngins first.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:25   Link #12
Ending

So it is basically the same as with finnish military service -but with a few differences. Here, it's from 6 to 12 months of service in a boot camp, trampling in forests and other generally fun stuff, but if read it right: US intends to send them aboard at call. Imagine getting a letter like that: "Soldier, you have month to get your package and arrive to place X. Failure will result in torture and maybe even some time in Pentagon." Also, "jobs aboard" often mean "jobs that take years" -and if you were drafted, you won't be getting any pay either. Unless, of course, you consider the "honor to serve your country" as a "pay" -knowing how patriotic US people are...

(But still; I could almost pity them if I didn't know they deserve it... >D )
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:34   Link #13
Lefteris_D

If the reason behind this thing is to prepare the people for a future attack against another country(Iraq) then it is a pathetic excuse. Mandatory military service has to have one goal, to train you to PROTECT your country... not to attack another one.
Old 2004-05-24, 12:37   Link #14
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander

What? That's bullshit! "Volunteering" is totally the wrong word. They should have said "MANDATORY" if they plan to put you in jail for not 'volunteering'

This is stupid, I see no reason for a draft what-so-ever. And you can be sure as hell that I'm not going, I've already got accepted into a good grad school and if I have to serve military time its going to fuck up my plans for the future (assuming I don't die in battle). I could never take orders from someone to kill someone anyway. If they bring me into bootcamp I will be the most disobidient son of a bitch Oh I know, I'll claim that I'm gay! HAHAHA YES homosexuality RULES!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:47   Link #15
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
This isn't really like the Nordic military services in Finland and Sweden Wirhe. True, conscripts have been sent out to perform peacekeeping duties and even have been in engagements in the former Yugoslavia in the mid 1990's, but they signed up for it. In this case, it seems that the US Government wants to use the draft to get a higher troop presence in Iraq and Afghanistan . In this case, it's nothing more but a fascist tool. If someone wants to serve in the military and aid his fellow countrymen who signed up to do so, he'd enlist. This isn't a major war like the second world war, where I can understand drafting since it was a case of massive war between great powers, how stupid war itself may seem it was needed to stop a genocidal maniac. I believe most people were proud to be a part of overthrowing Adolf Hitler. But this is different.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:52   Link #16
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Selective Service was introduced to protect the country from a foreign threat ...

They changed the website quite a bit (probably because the issue of drafting came up) ... but the way it was worded when I got my second warning to register was to give the impression that you are registering to be drafted by free will (such a noble and patriotic act) ... not because you could get 6 years for not registering(the real motivation).

Basically ... pledge for king and country or we ruin your life.

Roots :P you know what's funny ... gheyness wasn't listed as a valid excuse
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:53   Link #17
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Are we preparing for war or something? Are they expecting one?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 12:54   Link #18
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
What? That's bullshit! "Volunteering" is totally the wrong word. They should have said "MANDATORY" if they plan to put you in jail for not 'volunteering'

This is stupid, I see no reason for a draft what-so-ever. And you can be sure as hell that I'm not going, I've already got accepted into a good grad school and if I have to serve military time its going to fuck up my plans for the future (assuming I don't die in battle). I could never take orders from someone to kill someone anyway. If they bring me into bootcamp I will be the most disobidient son of a bitch Oh I know, I'll claim that I'm gay! HAHAHA YES homosexuality RULES!
There's the thing, Roots: they already said "College [and Canada] will not be an eligible excuse " And doesn't the military have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on homosexuality?

Remember that Simpsons episode "The Simpson Tide"--when Homer is filling out an application to join the Naval Reserves, there is a crossed-out question on the form.
Homer: "I think I make it out... 'are... you... a... ho... mo... sek..."
The Navy Officer promptly muffs his ears and goes "Lalalalalah~`I can't hear you! I don't hear you, I never had you answer that question! Lalalalalala~"

I'm not saying that it'll be like the Simpsons--but I doubt you'll even get a chance to declare yourself to be homosexual, or if anyone will listen
Old 2004-05-24, 13:25   Link #19
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteris_D
If the reason behind this thing is to prepare the people for a future attack against another country(Iraq) then it is a pathetic excuse. Mandatory military service has to have one goal, to train you to PROTECT your country... not to attack another one.
Quote:
Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.
yeah. that is the part that bothers me. it assumes that bush will be re-elected.

and that they report directly to bush...

basically, i see it as the way that america can stay in this war with iraq. they dont have any other way to get soldiers, so they must draft them.

I hope that this doesnt pass, so that Bush/Whomever else is elected cant continue "personal" wars.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 13:31   Link #20
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
There's the thing, Roots: they already said "College [and Canada] will not be an eligible excuse " And doesn't the military have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on homosexuality?

Remember that Simpsons episode "The Simpson Tide"--when Homer is filling out an application to join the Naval Reserves, there is a crossed-out question on the form.
Homer: "I think I make it out... 'are... you... a... ho... mo... sek..."
The Navy Officer promptly muffs his ears and goes "Lalalalalah~`I can't hear you! I don't hear you, I never had you answer that question! Lalalalalala~"

I'm not saying that it'll be like the Simpsons--but I doubt you'll even get a chance to declare yourself to be homosexual, or if anyone will listen
Oh BELIEVE ME, I will get a chance to declare. I'll put on a dress, skip around singing, and start throwing flowers in the air. I think I'll pretend I have a lisp too. If they (the drill sergeants) start screaming at me I will say "Oh no you don't silly boy. Talk to the hand, not the face " I WILL get kicked out of boot camp, no matter what I might have to do

Hahah, this is starting to sound like fun! ph34r the ghey!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote