AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 02 Rating
Perfect 10 18 16.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 24.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-20, 22:45   Link #21
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
The Japanese are notorious for standardized tests and teaching to them, largely because the purpose of the high school curriculum is to prepare for college entrance exams, which in turn determine the entire course of a person's life. (For example, people who get into Tokyo University (Todai) are usually set fr life and have entry into Japan's elite).

Kona-chan's approach (cram all night before the test) is not all that uncommon.

An odd note: Kagami's father is a Priest (his morning in that scene was spent blessing a construction site) and at least one of her older sisters is a Miko. I wonder if this helps explain why Kagami is so stuck-up about certain things (and why she is berating Kona-chan's immorality on occasions such as the one in episode 1).
Old 2007-04-20, 23:32   Link #22
krln99

Does anyone else feel that Lucky Star is more-or-less centered on Kona's and Kagami's playful rivalry with each other?! Tsukasa and Miyuki kind of round out things for levity, but most of the "action," so-to-speak, centers around Kona's whackiness and off-beat ways butting against Kagami's straight-and-narrow path.

If you look at most of the scenes, Miyuki and Tsukasa are frankly either too timid or too nice to stand up to either Kagami or Kona, but Kagami always calls out Kona's laziness, otakuness, etc. In kind, Kona challenges Kagami in grades, games (like the UFO Catcher), etc.
Old 2007-04-20, 23:45   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That would be the format of the 4-koma as well ... (though the others get a lot of page time as well). The "center" could be described as the Kona/Kagami dynamic.
Old 2007-04-21, 00:00   Link #24
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I got the impression it was a school-wide test (like those silly standardized tests). But yes, they seem a bit rickety in portraying Kagami as being in a different class. Its in the manga .... but this may be a case where the gag superceded the continuity.

Following along that very same scene... I also though it was curious how Kagami ask both Tsukasa and Konata about their grades, but totally avoids Miyuki while being there.

Guess she wanted to go for the weaker ones before facing complete defeat.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-21 at 00:11.
Old 2007-04-21, 02:53   Link #25
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ well considering that shes next to perfection that may very well be the case O.o (and i hope she doesnt get rid of her glasses for contacts cause i think she looks cuter that way :3)
im shocked at how well kona did...sheesh i wish i can cram revision like that >_<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-21, 03:00   Link #26
Julius Firefocht

That Getter reference really cracked me up, since I am a huge Super Robot fan.

This is a very solid episode overall, better than episode 1 IMO. Konata is just too cute for words!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-04-21, 04:40   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht View Post
That Getter reference really cracked me up, since I am a huge Super Robot fan.

This is a very solid episode overall, better than episode 1 IMO. Konata is just too cute for words!
Good lord finally somebody other than me and Vallen got it. Still, Makes me worry for the prospect of the endings ever being popular if they are all old Metal Hero theme songs. Then again what do I care really, that was their choice, even though I think it was a very clever one regarding Konata's character wanting to reminisce about show 3 times as old as she is, it's up to the viewers to decide in the end.

By the way man did I sock it to this series by giving this episode a 7 out of 10. That just goes to show how much I hate it. Grrrrrr. Anger....
Old 2007-04-21, 04:45   Link #28
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I'm much more curious on what will Kagami, Tsukasa and Miyuki will sing now. I wonder what are their tastes .
Old 2007-04-21, 04:59   Link #29
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Then again what do I care really, that was their choice, even though I think it was a very clever one regarding Konata's character wanting to reminisce about show 3 times as old as she is, it's up to the viewers to decide in the end.
One of my friends run an anime store. He has two daughters 4 and 5 years old respectively, and he already got them addicted to all the old shows he used to watch; including the one Kona-chan sang the OP of in this episode. So yes, it can and does happen.
Old 2007-04-21, 04:59   Link #30
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft
Kona-chan's approach (cram all night before the test) is not all that uncommon.
This reminds of myself, I alway pull all-nighter for every examination
But I grasped most of the concepts during lesson, unlike Konata, which may be why I'm able to pass exam with a single night study session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
When an episode makes me wonder about the time, it has already failed to fully capture my attention, and this did occur in Lucky Star for me. In Ep02's case, the points were when they were talking about the "May Sickness", and the discussion of Konata's job.

Maybe it is because of my geographical location. Seasons? The only "seasons" my country have are the "It's Raining Everyday" season, and the "It's Raining Sometimes" season.
Living in same country, I also don't quite understand the May Sickness part, something I have not experienced before.

Lucky Channel in this episode is yet another win xD
PS: Did this lucky channel appear in 4-koma in another 'form'?
Old 2007-04-21, 06:48   Link #31
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
wow what i see. Lucky Star replaced kanon and got its own forum. that's wonderful. obviously one thread wasnt enough.
I'm in anticipation of the upcoming episode 3.
Old 2007-04-21, 08:33   Link #32
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Was one of the seiyuu on Koi no Apron?
From compiled guest lists of Koi no Apron and Ai no Apron on the net, the Lucky Star seiyuus never appeared on the shows before. The only people related to anime which I happen to know are Nakagawa Shoko, Tokita Ami and Ogura Yuko, except that all three are better known for their work as gravure idols.

So I tried searching in a different direction and found something about the man who balances a red wash basin on his head. There's also an entry in the japanese wiki named 赤い洗面器の男 (romanized as "akai senmenki no otoko", meaning "red wash basin man"). Apparently, it is a running gag found in Mitani Koki's work, a famous Japanese playwright in Japan. Most of them appeared in Furuhata Ninzaburo, a popular detective drama serial from the 90's, where Tamura Masakazu (some J-dorama fans should be able to recognize him) plays the title character. The gag is such that a character will talk about the red wash basin man and ask the question "why does he balance the red wash basin on his head?", but the punchline is always never given.

How all these references are related is totally lost on me, I guess it was meant to be random or something. Furuhata Ninzaburo seems like an interesting show though.

EDIT: Just noticed the entry for Lucky Star's reference at the bottom of the wiki page I linked. It mentions that the reference was probably made out of respect for Mitani's work. I guess that make sense too.

Last edited by Boukenxha; 2007-04-21 at 09:12.
Old 2007-04-21, 10:12   Link #33
Shiori-chan

pretty good episode, and akira made me laugh again although the rest is funny too ^^
Old 2007-04-21, 11:51   Link #34
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Good lord finally somebody other than me and Vallen got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reverie View Post
Also, as far as the "Change Getter" joke, I figured it was too obvious for most people to bother commenting on.
A few more people then that have mentioned it. You're not the only one who has watched the classics man.
Old 2007-04-21, 12:42   Link #35
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I think the pacing of the jokes were a lot tighter in this episode. As some people have mentioned, though, I thought the May Fever joke dragged a little (maybe there were puns in there that didn't translate properly?).

The split screen near the beginning of the episode was f'ing brilliant. Just lovely. KyoAni again raises the bar on animated camera work.

Lucky Channel had me in god damned TEARS. Holy shit, spinoff please.
Old 2007-04-21, 12:47   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Good lord finally somebody other than me and Vallen got it. Still, Makes me worry for the prospect of the endings ever being popular if they are all old Metal Hero theme songs. Then again what do I care really, that was their choice, even though I think it was a very clever one regarding Konata's character wanting to reminisce about show 3 times as old as she is, it's up to the viewers to decide in the end.

By the way man did I sock it to this series by giving this episode a 7 out of 10. That just goes to show how much I hate it. Grrrrrr. Anger....
Not to overspoil... but Konata's love for anime series older than she is stems from her dad's geekiness (whom I dearly hope we get to meet in the anime later.
Old 2007-04-21, 13:00   Link #37
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriS View Post
...Living in same country, I also don't quite understand the May Sickness part, something I have not experienced before....
I live in a country with four seasons, and where people (especially in fiction) talk about "spring fever," but as far as I've ever been concerned it's just a joke, and there's not really any such thing, even figuratively. Here, the idea is now (maybe it was different in the past) that people get all excited and eager, as opposed to the drab, draggy days of winter. I really had no idea that's what they were talking about with "May sickness" -- and I suspect it's not exactly the same thing as our "spring fever" -- but it didn't matter. It was still hilarious because the idea was clearly that she was referring to something that was just called a "sickness" but wasn't really one. In tropical countries, is there some similar concept referring to before/after the monsoon arrives?

I don't know what grade to give these episodes -- somewhere from 7 to 9, probably 8 and 9 -- but I loved both of them, and thought two was a bit funnier, but maybe only because I had gotten used to the style of the show.

Maybe my favorite part of ep 2 was when Konata had just pwned those guys in the fighting game (you see I'm no gamer) and Tsukasa said how good she was and she said: "Maa, ne." (Which I interpreted as something like: "Yeah, I guess so.") With a self-satisfied little smile.

That brings up another thing. I don't know the games or some of the older anime, and yet I still find these things funny, even when I don't get the allusions. I'd find them funnier if I did, of course.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-21 at 13:52.
Old 2007-04-21, 13:57   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I live in a country with four seasons, and where people (especially in fiction) talk about "spring fever," but as far as I've ever been concerned it's just a joke, and there's not really any such thing, even figuratively. Here, the idea is now (maybe it was different in the past) that people get all excited and eager, as opposed to the drab, draggy days of winter. I really had no idea that's what they were talking about with "May sickness" -- and I suspect it's not exactly the same thing as our "spring fever" -- but it didn't matter. It was still hilarious because the idea was clearly that she was referring to something that was just called a "sickness" but wasn't really one. In tropical countries, is there some similar concept referring to before/after the monsoon arrives?

I don't know what grade to give these episodes -- somewhere from 7 to 9, probably 8 and 9 -- but I loved both of them, and thought two was a bit funnier, but maybe only because I had gotten used to the style of the show.

Maybe my favorite part of ep 2 was when Konata had just pwned those guys in the fighting game (you see I'm no gamer) and Tsukasa said how good she was and she said: "Maa, ne." (Which I interpreted as something like: "Yeah, maybe.") With a self-satisfied little smile.

That brings up another thing. I don't know the games or some of the older anime, and yet I still find these things funny, even when I don't get the allusions. I'd find them funnier if I did, of course.
The subs I saw translate that as "No, it's nothing" probably meaning she feels she's not that great. The other guy really seemed to suck too by walking into a clear grappling characters range of attack without setting up a magic combo. Ypi should jump in in that case since it makes it much harder to pull off a grapple special move. She definitely knew and was probably smirking about that as well.

I'm starting to wonder if Konata is the Lucky Star the title is referring to and that she has extremely good luck in a lot of things along with a natural talent for them.
Old 2007-04-21, 14:27   Link #39
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
The first guy should stick to Playstation RPGs (his T-shirt is a Final Fantasy X-2 reference).

If Kona-chan ever invites her friends over to play video games, would it be prudent for them to refuse? Especially given Kona-chan's taste in subject matter?
Old 2007-04-21, 22:15   Link #40
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Much better than the first one IMO, its not that the first was bad but it had some parts that ruined the ep a little, but this one remained costant, practically because everything that was said in the first page of the tread. Konata is like a mirror that KEEPS FOCUSING ME zomg, she alone makes Lucky Star worth
BTW just a question: Does Lucky Channel appear in the manga? (btw, gogo Akira-sama, mistress of the brute honestity! )
Closed Thread