AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-30, 22:22   Link #1501
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Would Hyperbit even do a review ? Maybe just a devious intent on Mundus/Vorgil

Alarmhat did a quick and simple review:

Spoiler:
Awesome review there. Like I said, when Capcom puts out a demo, what you see there is what you will get in the final game which was true.

Quoting Alarmhat

Quote:
It's a below average hack and slash that is held back by a number of unfortunate design choices.

(All gameplay footage was taken from DMD difficulty.)

Some additional things that I wanted to cover:
Devil May Cry 4 introduced a new protagonist, Nero. He was designed to ease new players into these games. He's far easier to play than Dante for a number of reasons. The largest of these is his grapple ability. It allows him to pick up enemies from far away and bring them to him - or bring himself to the enemies, depending on the enemy type.

Dante doesn't have this luxury. However, he has a wide variety of abilities that help him stay on top of enemies. It just requires a bit more thought than simply pulling the enemies to him.

The fact that Nero was so easy to play wasn't a big deal though. Dante was still in the game with almost all of the abilities that he had in DMC3. Additionally, he had the ability to shift between his styles in the middle of combat, which vastly increased his options.

Having these two characters available, a easier to play character and a high level character, was genius. Both new players and veterans are satisfied by this system. This concept should be used in every future installment of Devil May Cry, with both characters selectable on every stage.

Unfortunately, in DmC you only have one character, Donte. Donte has more in common with Nero than he does Dante. He has the grapple mechanic and quite a few of Nero's moves. He doesn't even have the benefit of the Nero's more interesting mechanics, such as the Exceed system. The closest thing to that would be the Demon Dodge, which is incredibly easy to pull off and ridiculously powerful.

If Donte had a Dante-like character (a high level character with more depth and complexity) to balance him out, DmC would become far more interesting. However, even if we were able to implement such a character that corrects all of Donte's issues (lock on, directional input, styles) we'd still have to somehow overcome all of the other issues present in the game (platforming, color coded enemies, lack of difficulty, cutscenes and so on).

I'm aware that Vorgil is going to be added into the game as DLC, but his trailers indicate that he'll be very similar to Donte in terms of mechanics. His teleport appears to be a reskinned grapple. At least they managed to put in the summoned swords. It could have been worse, I guess.

I almost wish they would have stuck with the 2010 trailer's design, with the angry, psychotic Donte. I also wish they would have had the guts to change the name and start up a new IP. Oh well.

I wonder what happens next?
Also Classic DMC3 costume

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

http://sadpanda.us/images/1381688-F9D79VG.jpg
Old 2013-01-30, 23:58   Link #1502
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Would Hyperbit even do a review ? Maybe just a devious intent on Mundus/Vorgil

Alarmhat did a quick and simple review:

Spoiler:
He said he's got a video planned concerning DmC. I've been waiting for that for a while now ever since DmC was released. Hoping it'll be done before the week is over. Guy makes some really nice informative videos.

@Kenjiharama, that's a nice analysis of Nero that I haven't thought about before.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 02:12   Link #1503
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
That looks closer to Nero's design than Dante's.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:04   Link #1504
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
That looks closer to Nero's design than Dante's.
http://www.wallcoo.net/game/devil-ma...o-vs-dante.jpg

No wonder I didn't like Nero.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:58   Link #1505
demino_hellsin
That one guy

but Nero had lock on
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 04:05   Link #1506
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

and you need to have skill to get to glowing ledges with Nero and he has more to offer than just the DB, unlike in DmC no skill at all, just pull the ledge, pull towards the ledge, double jump, twilight glide.
Old 2013-01-31, 04:07   Link #1507
demino_hellsin
That one guy

exceed is also a nice way to test your skills. It's okay not to exceed but it's always a plus right?

EDIT: Nero's devil trigger is also cooler. Though he doesn't exactly transform.
Old 2013-01-31, 04:16   Link #1508
Used Can

I actually liked Nero. Sure, he started off as a prick, but it never felt as if whoever wrote his character was trying too hard to make him cool and bad, like with Donte. Not to mention that his behaviour and distrust are well grounded and understandable. In addition, once he grasped the reality of the situation, he became more likeable.
I'm not even mentioning he was really fun and play with.

Though, his story wasn't to my taste - the whole "give me back my girlfriend" drama didn't really fit to DMC in my opinion. It was too cheesy and cliché, as opposed to the usual over-the-top not too serious action.
Old 2013-01-31, 04:35   Link #1509
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've never thought of Nero as a prick in the beginning, more like a smart mouth punk- See his cutscene with Berial's intro

Plus right off the bat we see that he has a caring side, no need to wait till half the game is over.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 05:57   Link #1510
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
exceed is also a nice way to test your skills. It's okay not to exceed but it's always a plus right?

EDIT: Nero's devil trigger is also cooler. Though he doesn't exactly transform.
Nero was supposed to turn into a demon, but due to the game being only 40% finished it was cut and instead we get a half ghostly figure of what was supposed to be Nero's devil trigger.

Looked pretty badass.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 05:59   Link #1511
demino_hellsin
That one guy

They could've used that problem to their advantage though. Their writing just seemingly fell apart. Especially when it was announced Nero was Vergil's son.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:07   Link #1512
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
They could've used that problem to their advantage though. Their writing just seemingly fell apart. Especially when it was announced Nero was Vergil's son.
How old was Dante and Vergil during DMC3? I was under the impression they were 18 or something
Old 2013-01-31, 06:11   Link #1513
demino_hellsin
That one guy

18... yeah... >.>

It's Japan. You know how they practice safe s- *gets run over by a car*
Old 2013-01-31, 07:01   Link #1514
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Well whatever it is, I'm more inclined towards a possession explanation than a secret child

Plus that would imply that Vergil had feelings for a human girl...
Old 2013-01-31, 07:49   Link #1515
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That or he got ra- *Run over by a stampede of feminists*

But it was Vergil that got ra- *Run over by easily offended and overly sensitive people*
Old 2013-01-31, 10:15   Link #1516
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Nero was a very likeable character despite not being The Dante protagonist.

You just can't hate the guy, he's natural and is a nice (though, sudden and unexplained) addiction to the series. Biggest complaint I hear about DMC4 is Dante's path being only a backtrack.

But yeah enough, we're all beating on a dead horse regarding DmC lol
Let's hope Capcom doesn't destroy another good franchise, like Onimusha.
Old 2013-01-31, 14:55   Link #1517
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Where was it announced Nero was Vergils son?

Vergil liking a human girl isnt impossible he loved his mother like crazy, thats why he went mad with power lust. She didnt need to be human btw. She could be a demon too sparda had a human form... its not for human/demon half breeds.
Old 2013-01-31, 14:55   Link #1518
Used Can

Quote:
Especially when it was announced Nero was Vergil's son.
Didn't they render that novel to non-canon?
Old 2013-01-31, 15:16   Link #1519
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Plus it was NEVER mentioned in the game who Nero's father was so as far as I'm concerned it's non-canon.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 15:23   Link #1520
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Well, I had to say that...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-series-reboot