AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 11:54   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Umineko FanFiction Discussion

Welcome to the Umineko FanFiction Discussion thread.

This thread is meant for Umineko fanfiction and its discussion. Fanfiction works can be either posted in this thread or in the Fan Creations Forum and linked to in this thread. You may also link to Fanfiction works posted on other sites and discuss it here.

General rules of our forum still apply:
  • No sexually explicit material. Yes, this goes for text format as well.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members
  • Have fun, but post intelligently

Please respect the authors, fanfictions are written in their free time, they have have no gain and owe you nothing; if they like a particular character and/or a particular pattern for their story, it's a personal choice and can't be blamed. In general, you are free to post constructive criticisms but not insults which (as in any other part of the forums) won't be tolerated. Remember that writers post here to get help and not to get troubles.

Please note that, due to the very nature of Umineko no Naku Koro ni, it is highly possible that some fictions might be based on the original games of the franchise, therefore potentially spoil some people. In order to avoid such issues, please use spoiler tags on your fiction with a clear indication of which Episode (game format, not anime format) it might relates (example: spoiler - End of Episode 5).
You are free to base your fictions to the backstory of the franchise and/or certain characters, but please avoid making fictions that are basically theories/interpretations of the events of the series. Please stick strictly to the concept of fanfiction. Any speculation etc. should be posted in the theory/spoiler thread instead.

Thanks and have fun
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 12:58   Link #2
immblueversion

Who else here thinks that Jan-Poo's "Witches & Woodlands" is truly a piece of art?

In short, it's a tale where Battler, his cousins, Erika, and (for some reason) Dlanor gather to play a simple D&D-esque RPG. Then Beatrice comes along and makes it a not-so-simple D&D-esque RPG. The rest of the story cannot be described in detail on how mind-blowingly awesome it is.

Not only is the whole thing well-crafted and planned (even considering how the first chapter was intended to be a one-shot, meaning they expanded it brilliantly), but it's funny as hell. I mean, if you replaced the epic of the original story with funny, replaced everything else with epic, and condensed everything into the span of a seven hour read or so, you would probably get a story on the scale of "Witches & Woodlands." It should be expected, considering it was made by the same person who made those classic "USO DA!!" 4-koma images. In fact, they just recently expanded it to give the characters unique sprites that would be fitting for a fantasy adventure of epic proportions (save Dlanor, who gets a mousy "every-girl" look in the "real world"). It must be seen to be believed.

I loved it so much that I've been trying to put together a fandub/voice patch in an effort to not only honor it, but to get it more known. I've yet to see much results as of late, so I've put it on hiatus until I can find time to manage it, and maybe even some assistance in making it. I just hope that it will, one day, see the light of day, and I will work to see that happen.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 13:09   Link #3
battle22

I love Jan-Poo's "Witches & Woodlands". It was funny as hell. I couldn't stop laughing in some parts. Erika was really awesome. I loved it from the beginning to the end.I have decided to add some voice parts in Jap like marias "kihihihihi. You fools" or "this level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika" and " die to death" . You get the point. I also added an HD BG patch for "Witches & Woodlands". (From ps3). Sprite patch however is impossible.

Last edited by battle22; 2013-05-04 at 06:40.
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 13:37   Link #4
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Witches and Woodlands is god tier. That is all that needs to be said.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:42   Link #5
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Howdy. First time here, but I've been reading the forums for a bit ever since I finished Ep8. Saw this topic being brand new and figured I might as well share what I have.

- I stumbled across mention of Witches and Woodlands just the other day and it looked interesting, but the authors website was done blog style and I couldn't really get a good summary of the project as a whole. I guess it's basically just a patch you replace over the game folders, right? I'll definitely check that out.

As for my own contribution, I recently finished a story of my own, "The Turn of Haruhi Suzumiya." http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7583784/...aruhi_Suzumiya

It is (probably obvious but) a crossover of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and Umineko.

A basic summary: "For the second summer vacation trip, the SOS Brigade visits the island of Rokkenjima. Expecting a simple trip of camping, hiking, and pretend mystery solving on a long deserted island, Kyon and Haruhi instead find themselves pulled into the game board, intruding into the Ushiromiya family conference of October 4th, 1986. Knowing full well the ultimate fate about to fall upon the island’s inhabitants, Kyon must race to solve the mystery and find the truth; before they end up as just another mysterious death in Rokkenjima’s endless cat-box."

It is ultimately a Haruhi story before an Umineko one - Kyon is the main character and Narrator, and everything that happens is seen through his eyes. But I've tried to keep the feel and spirit of Umineko there as well, so if anyone happens to be a fan of both stories than I can offer that much.

As for Umineko spoilers, there's nothing really too specific spoiled, but I used ideas and themes from pretty much every episode. Without context it might not really count as spoilers anyway, so.

Thanks!

Last edited by Oroboro; 2012-01-08 at 13:56.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 14:52   Link #6
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I'll make sure to give it a read and tell you what I think, Oroboro! Is the fanfic complete, or did you only do one "arc" of planned more?
Old 2012-01-08, 15:35   Link #7
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Who else here thinks that Jan-Poo's "Witches & Woodlands" is truly a piece of art?
Me, me! *raises hand* he managed to keep the characters true to the original while delivering a paradoxical, comical, amazing story. The puns are very fun and easy to catch, and the dialogue in general is brilliant. And so is the new art.

If you haven't read it already do it, you're in for some serious laughter sessions.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 16:01   Link #8
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

All right, first and foremost I want to give my thanks to Kashikari for making this thread and to everyone that played and enjoyed Witches & Woodlands.

But there's a lot I want to discuss in this thread.

Before I forget I'll put here a link to Kinjo's guide on how to make your own fangame using onscripter and the umineko script. I received a lot of requests about that, so I think it would be useful to put all the necessary resources in the first page, so if anyone asks, redirect them to the first page of the fanfic thread:

Kinjo's latest onscripter guide:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xb18x59b0vkdiya

Onscripter-en resources:
http://nscripter.insani.org/sdk.html

Onscriper command reference:
http://nscripter.insani.org/reference/
http://unclemion.com/onscripter/api/NScrAPI-framed.xml

If you plan to start your own project I suggest you to use the script from Episode8, do not use mine, since I have removed a lot of script lines that weren't used in my story (you can still extract it to use as reference).

A lot of people prefer to use the most popular Ren'py
http://renpy.org/

The pro of Ren'py is that it's a lot easier to use, the con is that you need to start from scratch and need to convert all the graphic you need.

I'm not familiar with the program, but maybe Renall can fill in the details, since he's using that for his "Witch Hunters Abroad".

And since I'm on the subject, I really enjoyed the first part of Renall's fan game, I want to read how it ends, and I want to see the fable sprites of the witch hunters, when will you finish it, Renall?!

Also you might want to check Kinjo's fangames as well, he created a specific thread here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=109298

As for the rest... well it's just easier to give the link to a list on TVTropes:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...koNoNakuKoroNi

There are a few that are missing though...

Now I'll take this chance to talk about the secret riddle hidden in the latest patch of witches & woodlands.
For those who haven't noticed there is an "extra.rar" file included in the patch and you get the password as soon as you finish the Tea party

for the lazy and forgetful the password is:

Spoiler for Password:

lower case.

however once you extract this file, you can see there's another rar named "treasure chest.rar". In order to open it you need to solve my riddle!

There is a hint included among the images in the extra.rar, you can start from that.

Kinjo and Anon-kun (and another anon) are trying to solve it but they are stuck.
If you wish to know how much they progressed:

Spoiler for W&W riddle:

Let me hear your reasonings! But don't forget to put use spoiler tags for those who wish to solve it by themselves.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2012-08-23 at 11:55.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 16:06   Link #9
battle22

Oh my god that's italian
Spoiler for riddle:

i dont get it yet... hmm

Last edited by battle22; 2012-01-08 at 16:16.
Old 2012-01-08, 16:17   Link #10
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

So THAT's what that .rar was for! (sorry, I'm still re-reading the third part didn't get to the Tea Party yet).
Props to Kinjo and Anon-kun! Well, being italian myself, I can at least give you a translation.

Spoiler for riddle translation:

Edit: whops, seems battle22 beat me to it
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 16:21   Link #11
battle22

Spoiler for ...:
Old 2012-01-08, 16:45   Link #12
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
So THAT's what that .rar was for! (sorry, I'm still re-reading the third part didn't get to the Tea Party yet).
Props to Kinjo and Anon-kun! Well, being italian myself, I can at least give you a translation.

Spoiler for riddle translation:

I was counting on you Redkey!
Hopefully now it will be clearer.

Quote:
Not really, your insight was necessary, I believe.
But if you haven't finished the Tea Party you have no chance of solving this.

Whops that was a hint!

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 16:49   Link #13
battle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
nahhh your native. i only used google translate . lol . thanks for translation
Old 2012-01-08, 16:51   Link #14
battle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I was counting on you Redkey!
Hopefully now it will be clearer.

Not really, your insight was necessary, I believe.
But if you haven't finished the Tea Party you have no chance of solving this.

Whops that was a hint!
Haha . so it's neceserry to know what happens in tea party... wait which one?
ep8 pardoy or the second?....time to reread teaparty....
Old 2012-01-08, 17:18   Link #15
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I'll make sure to give it a read and tell you what I think, Oroboro! Is the fanfic complete, or did you only do one "arc" of planned more?
Thanks. First arc complete. Currently working on the second (And probably final). Will probably have the prologue within the next few days.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 17:41   Link #16
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Awesome. I loved your fanfic, Oroboro, and now I can't wait for you to finish it!

As for Janpoo's Treasure-Chest, shit I didn't even notice it! Now I feel like an ass! Lol, um...

Yea, I got nothin'. I reread the Tea Party and I didn't notice jack shit. I suck at riddles. XD
Old 2012-01-08, 18:14   Link #17
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yes, that guide's a bit outdated (it was made shortly after I created my first fangame) so there's probably a lot that's still not covered, as I learned many new scripting techniques when programming my other games. Still it should be good enough to give newcomers a basic start to programming onscripter (but more specifically learning to utilize the code R07's team made). The download to my games can be found in the link Jan-Poo posted (which is also the link in my signature).

For a long time the Japanese fanbase was editing ONscripter too, and many fangames were uploaded to the 07th Expansion site. But recently all the uploads were removed for some reason (see http://rena07.com/Cgi/uploader/upload.html). Videos of other fangames can be seen on the Niconico video website. It's nice to see that fangames and fanfiction aren't just limited to the Japanese fanbase anymore.

But yes, thanks for creating this thread Klashikari. I'm glad that people can now discuss their Umineko fanfictions in a single place, in the Umineko subforum, where people will see it.

And like Jan-Poo said, I also enjoy hearing feedback about my creations, so please comment. But keep it spoiler-tagged too!
Old 2012-01-08, 18:17   Link #18
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, as Kinjo already knows I think his creations are frickin' God-Tier.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I am the villain of the 4th Episode. It's actually kind of my least favorite episode since it requires being associated with an obscure fraction of the fandom, but it's still pretty neato.
Old 2012-01-08, 18:22   Link #19
Keriaku
Thought Being

I think by the nature of the series, this is a great thread to have around.

I've also been blown away by Witches & Woodlands so far. I'm only at the end the Stakes' trials, but it really feels like it could be another side arc added in. I can tell there's a lot of love for the characters throughout and they all feel completely consitent with the canon. It's really awesome. I'm sure Ryuukishi would be pleased if he had a chance to see it. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

That being said, I'm also looking forward the Renall's Redacted. I don't have a link right now, but it's in his signature. Looks interesting.

Wasn't there also a 'what-if', 'behind-the-scenes' parody arc being worked on by a couple people around here? Ayone have any info of that? I think this was the secret project Renall has mentioned a couple of times in the Spoilers thread?
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 19:04   Link #20
immblueversion

You know some other neat fanfics? Pretty much every video on this YouTube channel (best viewed in order from oldest to newest):

http://www.youtube.com/user/TahYllis...eo-mustangbase

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote