AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-24, 06:55   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

K-On! - Character Discussion - Ui

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Ui related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all K-On! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-08-24, 07:31   Link #2
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Ui is such a hard worker.
Old 2010-08-24, 07:42   Link #3
Chocolate Pocky

Ui's cute~ I like how she works hard, that she's sweet and nice... She reminds me of a sugar cube in coffee. :3
Old 2010-08-24, 09:20   Link #4
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And she's what, a year and a half younger than Yui?
Old 2010-08-24, 09:55   Link #5
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Now Ui's an interesting case. Especially her interesting relationship to Yui. She's protective of her big sister almost to the point of jealousy, does everything for her, and is nice to a fault.

So the question is: Is Ui going out of her way to hold Yui back?

The anime drops hints here and there that Yui's not anywhere near as dumb as she appears. Some of the things she does may look stupid, but it sometimes seems like she's doing them because she likes messing with the heads of her friends/keeping up appearances. We also know she knows that the status quo regarding her standing in life won't go on forever. She's coasting, and she knows it; and she knows that it won't last forever. She takes this knowledge and pens an absolutely brilliant song that can ambiguously represent either a close sisterly relationship, a relationship between lovers, a husband and wife, or even a wholly platonic relationship between close friends.

And yet, when we see Ui and Yui, it often seems that Ui goes out of her way to encourage Yui not to work too hard. To encourage Yui to be lazy and reliant on her little sister.

Wonder what'll happen to Ui when Yui finally has to grow up?
Old 2010-08-24, 10:05   Link #6
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...Ui was a mess when Yui was gone in Kyoto. It took Azusa and Jun to keep her mind mostly off Yui not being home.

Though this doesn't seem to effect Yui much (though she is with the club members so she's busy). It does show something...when Yui's in trouble, who does she call?.....Azusa. When Azusa is in trouble with something Yui related, who does she call? Ui. When Yui calls Azusa, Azusa seems perplexed as to why she's getting called. When Ui get a call on Yui, she's right there as fast as possible. It was probably a good thing Ui didn't know what Yui's call to Azusa was about since she'd probably have run off to Kyoto to find her lost sister.
Old 2010-08-24, 10:18   Link #7
BlackKnightKanos
Lord of The Netherealm

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackKnightKanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Ui is such a hard worker.
You know, I'd like to meet someone just like Ui one day.
Old 2010-08-24, 10:27   Link #8
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Now Ui's an interesting case. Especially her interesting relationship to Yui. She's protective of her big sister almost to the point of jealousy, does everything for her, and is nice to a fault.

So the question is: Is Ui going out of her way to hold Yui back?

The anime drops hints here and there that Yui's not anywhere near as dumb as she appears. Some of the things she does may look stupid, but it sometimes seems like she's doing them because she likes messing with the heads of her friends/keeping up appearances. We also know she knows that the status quo regarding her standing in life won't go on forever. She's coasting, and she knows it; and she knows that it won't last forever. She takes this knowledge and pens an absolutely brilliant song that can ambiguously represent either a close sisterly relationship, a relationship between lovers, a husband and wife, or even a wholly platonic relationship between close friends.

And yet, when we see Ui and Yui, it often seems that Ui goes out of her way to encourage Yui not to work too hard. To encourage Yui to be lazy and reliant on her little sister.

Wonder what'll happen to Ui when Yui finally has to grow up?
Ui never actually gets to jealousy in the anime. In fact she seems quite keen on spreading the word about how awesome her oneechan is.

While Ui is part of the reason Yui tends to be irresponsible, part is also due to Yui's own nature. Yui, as Nodoka noted, has a knack for attaching herself to people she can depend on. She tends to "get out of jail free" due to her charisma so people around Yui get used to taking responsibility for Yui's actions. So basically Yui turned Ui into the way she is (doting sister) which in turn reinforced Yui's irresponsibility.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:13   Link #9
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

If you ask me, the two have a sort of mother-daughter relationship more than one between two siblings, or even lovers. I think it's very obvious that Ui took over her mother's role when she wasn't around and it can be argued that Ui might even (subconsciously) think of Yui as her own daughter rather than her older sister.

From Yui's POV, I think it's highly likely that she has begone to see Ui more as a mother figure than anything else. When Yui brought home all those animals from the clubroom (S2E2, iirc), we saw that there are times where Yui even fears Ui (she practically cried and panicked when Ui encouraged her to clean up her room, much like a child would when its mother would do that). if that's true, then I wonder if Ui would actually go so far as to discipline/punish Yui for disobeying her.

Earlier in the show (S2E10), we have Yui asking Ui what she'd be like if she were to grow up. I found it interesting how Ui skillfully dodged the question and quickly changed subject. And I think the reason is simple: she doesn't want Yui to grow up, as that mean she'd become more independent and that she wouldn't need her sister to do everything for her anymore. Again, this is like a mother having to see her child become less dependent on its mother when it grows older.

At the very least it's clear that Ui is holding Yui back, at the cost of her own well-being. S2E18 showed us that Ui would risk her own health to prevent her sister from (potentially) harming herself. I think that desire to protect Yui at all cost is a sign that Ui doesn't fully trust Yui and wants to be sure that she doesn't do anything stupid or dangerous.
Old 2010-08-24, 19:16   Link #10
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Ui is almost like a Mother to Yui XD lol
Old 2010-08-24, 21:23   Link #11
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Ui is almost like a Mother to Yui XD lol
yeah, there parents are never freaken home >.>
Old 2010-08-24, 21:33   Link #12
!no-K

"Onee-Chan is left-overs" is one of my favorite lines of the whole series

Also:
Spoiler for Future of Ui:
Old 2010-08-24, 23:47   Link #13
Haruhiism
Figma Collector

Ui is just great. She reminds me a lot of Yakumo from School Rumble by being a supporting imouto. Yet unlike Yakumo, we haven't really been given a reason for why she acts the way she does towards her older sister. It does bother me a bit that she does a bit too much for Yui so much so that Yui can slack off all the time. One of my theories that Ui didn't join the club to be with her sister is that she's too busy with all the house work including cleaning and dinner since it seems Yui doesn't do anything at all when she's at home and the parents are always away.
I do worry about her when she becomes a senior and if her sister moves away so she's mostly all alone then.
Old 2010-08-25, 08:35   Link #14
Friday
Im shy too...

Ui will always be an over loving protective sister.
and I will say......
she will join the club as well, just to keep Azusa company
Old 2010-08-25, 09:21   Link #15
Hayasa
Fairy Tail & K-ON! Lover!

She's could be good at the guitar if she was REALLY interested. :O
Old 2010-08-25, 10:28   Link #16
evangeline88
Moe Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayasa View Post
She's could be good at the guitar if she was REALLY interested. :O
In fact she is really good with it ...
When Yui was sick in S1, she replaced Yui by playing the guitar perfectly ...

Well, both Hirasawa is amazing ... in many ways
HTT = Hirasawa Tea Time!

Old 2010-08-25, 23:29   Link #17
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangeline88 View Post
In fact she is really good with it ...
When Yui was sick in S1, she replaced Yui by playing the guitar perfectly ...

Well, both Hirasawa is amazing ... in many ways
HTT = Hirasawa Tea Time!
^^ for sure
Old 2010-08-26, 05:03   Link #18
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

AHAH Hirasawa's precious stones! Ui and Yui...and note that they sound alike, and look alike. =D

Yui vs Ui...i'm pretty sure Ui would win. XD
Old 2010-08-26, 09:30   Link #19
TakuanInc.
loves Marisa Kirisame.

Send a message via MSN to TakuanInc. Send a message via Yahoo to TakuanInc.
^ I'm pretty sure Ui would lose (purposely) since she wouldn't want to bring shame to her onee-chan. XD
Old 2010-08-26, 13:11   Link #20
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
AHAH Hirasawa's precious stones! Ui and Yui...and note that they sound alike, and look alike. =D

Yui vs Ui...i'm pretty sure Ui would win. XD
Depends really on how excited Yui is. During concerts Yui beats even Azusa (hence the fact that Yui is still lead guitar).
Closed Thread

Tags
characters