AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 23:15   Link #9381
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Kumagawa kills the tension like he always does, sure, but... well, like I've been saying all along, there's a "secret" to this arc, and it seems we're going in the new direction I expected it to go into in the first place, albeit sooner that I'd thought. Don't forget that Nisio apparently plans out the manga a year in advance.

Not really an Emukae fan, anyway, but am looking forward to next week. I wanna see what's up with this suitor and WHY she's so powerful.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 23:18   Link #9382
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamont View Post
Trolled. And for me at least, in the best possible way. Haven't looked forward to the next Medaka Box chapter so much for quite a few weeks now.
Same for me. I enjoyed Naze's fight and her personal developments but outside of that I've been going through the motions for a month or so now as far as the manga is concerned. I'm really interested in how things play out from here.
Old 2012-06-13, 23:29   Link #9383
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Ah well...you like what you like, you hate what you hate. Some liked the chapter, some didn't...the wonders of personal opinions.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 23:36   Link #9384
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Liked this chapter.
Also looks like Nishio really like to cut heroine's hair, like Togame in Katanagatari or 3 (!) girls in the 11 episodes of Nisemonogatari (well, Tsubasa has already cut her hair before the Nisemono but still).
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 00:04   Link #9385
Sarun

Well, this Medaka Box Discussion Thread in this forum have finally convinced me to get myself out of the lurker mode and join this place.

In next week's issue, would it be announcement that there would be a Popularity Poll and that they are accepting votes or would it results of a popularity poll?
Old 2012-06-14, 03:37   Link #9386
Homura7

I enjoyed the chapter, and I'm pretty sure the next one will make this more meaningful (this is Nisioisin we're talking about). Also, Kumagawa's sudden appearance is explained: Emukae received fatal wounds that would have killed her for sure this time. As for why is he here is very easy to understand: he fought, eventually lost and was left behind like with the suitors.

Emukae hasn't said her last yet, and she'll try again next chapter.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 04:11   Link #9387
urca

This chapter disappointed me,I hope Emukae gets another fight to redeem herself,that was really fucked up :/.
I mean,yeah,Emukae deserved some development but c'mon,everybody won except her for God's sake,I really really hope she gets into a closed space fight so she could grab her damn win.
Emukae
urca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:07   Link #9388
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Oh hell yeah!!! Here he comes, to save the day!!!!
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:28   Link #9389
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Well, having read the chapter, I don't see what the hate is all about.

You can hardly deny that Emukae got her precious character development here. I mean, if that's the sole base of the complaints, then I really can't agree. This chapter built up her character much more elaborately than any that I remember.

Spoiler for speculation heavy:
Kumagawa being there no one noticing him and suddenly appearing at that moment in time is even more of an asspull. I mean unless he now has invisibilty he just so happened to stumble at that fight during that moment or just before seems highly unlikely, I mean they did search the entire place or at least the vast majority of it.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:33   Link #9390
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^using all fiction anything is possible, erasing his presence should be the least his ability should provide.
besides i don't understand why you people are trying to search for reason in nishio's writings, loaded with a ton of symbolism + reality and space time laws defying abilities, you shouldn't even question minor details like that
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:36   Link #9391
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Kumagawa being there no one noticing him and suddenly appearing at that moment in time is even more of an asspull. I mean unless he now has invisibilty he just so happened to stumble at that fight during that moment or just before seems highly unlikely, I mean they did search the entire place or at least the vast majority of it.
Well, that's why some of us have been saying that it seems like Kumagawa was purposely hiding/watching over them and only showed up when it was too late/he had no other choice because Emukae would've died otherwise. This somewhat counter-intuitive behaviour from Kumagawa just adds even more intrigue to the Jokers' status and circumstances.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:37   Link #9392
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
^using all fiction anything is possible, erasing his presence should be the least his ability should provide.
besides i don't understand why you people are trying to search for reason in nishio's writings, loaded with a ton of symbolism + reality and space time laws defying abilities, you shouldn't even question minor details like that
It's called bad writing.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:39   Link #9393
Homura7

^Not until we get explanations next week. Besides, Nisio plans ahead, so I'm not worried at all.

I guess we can say from here on the scenario will shift away from the usual 1 vs 1 standard of the past chapters and lead us to something bigger.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:53   Link #9394
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Yep. It's a classic deus ex machina, but why is that still a problem at this point?

Nisio practically deals these things on a regular basis in this series. I thought that this manga's point was to play around with these tropes and narrative constructs that define the shounen battle genre. Isn't that the case?

I'd just keep reading though. If there's one thing I've learned, hardly anything is played straight when it comes to this manga.

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-06-14 at 07:27.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 07:01   Link #9395
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Just because it's "normal" for the manga and its something Nishio "usually" does...doesn't stop it from being bad writing.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 07:07   Link #9396
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Just because it's "normal" for the manga and its something Nishio "usually" does...doesn't stop it from being bad writing.
Whether it's bad writing or not depends on how we interpret his intentions for it. From a narrative perspective, it's indeed a terrible development. For me, who sees this entire manga as an exercise for Nisio to stretch the limits of the genre to its extreme, I wouldn't agree just yet.

But yeah. It's a matter of perspective in the end.

Also, if I reacted violently to every whimsical plot twist he brings into the story, I would have stopped reading this long ago, as many should have. Everything just became more enjoyable when I read everything from a more detached point of view.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:14   Link #9397
Sol Falling

Why the hell are people assuming "bad writing" again? Yes, Kumagawa showed up suddenly; but why are you assuming that he only just arrived as a "deus ex machina", as opposed to him purposely showing himself at this moment? Seriously, all of these "bad writing" accusations are based off nothing but your own completely groundless assumptions.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 07:20   Link #9398
Qilin
Romanticist

^ But regardless of the justification behind it, wouldn't it still be a deus ex machina by virtue of the fact that he saved Emukae from being killed from out of nowhere?

By "out of nowhere", I mean that there wasn't any foreshadowing or hint that it would lead to this. As such, I'd definitely label this development as somewhat artificial, which I believe was the intention. Even so, I wouldn't label it as bad writing that way I see it.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:28   Link #9399
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
^ But regardless of the justification behind it, wouldn't it still be a deus ex machina by virtue of the fact that he saved Emukae from being killed from out of nowhere?
If you have a better way to kill Emukae and then not kill her, I'd like to hear it.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 07:29   Link #9400
Homura7

No worries, by next week no one will call this sudden development "bad writing" again.

Knowing Kumagawa, he very likely followed the group without them noticing and stepped forward the moment he noticed things were looking quite grim.

And I've already explained why is he there: he fought, lost and was left behind. From the looks of it, in the Jet Black Wedding Feast, they get rid of those who have lost.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council