AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 21:48   Link #1741
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
XD Chafurin should seriously be the ship captain. It would work! Or maybe Professor Ootsuki.

Come on, let's just give in and have a big Higurashi reunion. So moving. :P
Yeah that would be fitting. =P
I've never had anything against the Higurashi cast coming to join in as Umineko characters. However if they do so, and later on in the answer arcs characters like a Satoko witch come in and her seiyuu is already voicing somebody else, then things might get a bit confusing.

Old 2009-08-02, 23:03   Link #1742
June 1983

How about an Oishii witch? XD XD XD Oh dear oh dear. He'd go around asking meta-Battler to "step inside his car" because "it's air-conditioned!"

Unrelated, but it's really frustrating trying to explain certain concepts central to Umineko to some anime-viewers who don't seem to understand that we're not trying to give them theories, just an idea of how the story works. AND still try to avoid spoilers. I imagine it's only going to get worse.
Old 2009-08-02, 23:05   Link #1743
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
How about an Oishii witch? XD XD XD Oh dear oh dear. He'd go around asking meta-Battler to "step inside his car" because "it's air-conditioned!"

Unrelated, but it's really frustrating trying to explain certain concepts central to Umineko to some anime-viewers who don't seem to understand that we're not trying to give them theories, just an idea of how the story works. AND still try to avoid spoilers. I imagine it's only going to get worse.
I think it would be best not to explain them. By the time episode 7 comes along they should begin to understand more about the game and what not. Don't rush it, it'll come to them in due time.

And if DEEN doesn't explain it enough then we'll help out I suppose.
Old 2009-08-02, 23:35   Link #1744
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Imagine the chaos that would erupt when the end of Ep3 rolls around then. I think it's time for us to think of contingency explanations when the fandom brains turn to sludge.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:07   Link #1745
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Imagine the chaos that would erupt when the end of Ep3 rolls around then. I think it's time for us to think of contingency explanations when the fandom brains turn to sludge.
Pft oh man.

"wtf is with Eva-Beatrice"
"Maria dies holyshit"
"Sniper bunny girls wtf?!"
"How did Battler figure it all out with a cigarette??"
"LAMBDA IS ACTUALLY THE FINAL BOSS??"

Their poor minds. I wonder if anyone will fall for Beatrice's trick though. Hopefully DEEN makes it as effective in the anime as the game did
Old 2009-08-03, 00:12   Link #1746
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Don't diss em sniper bunny girls bro.

Depends really. Ep3 was a pure sensory assault the moment is began so it's so easy to get caught up in the events to effectively question their validity. There are a lot of scenes that are very questionable but the way it's setup is meant to take you by the testicles (or ovaries whichever applies) and never let go.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:24   Link #1747
MarthX

I think the reactions will be bigger once Umineko has its first magical fight. That's when it separates itself from Higurashi entirely.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:26   Link #1748
Alaya
Counter Force

Considering many people's brains are already fried, EP2 and EP3 are going to kill them.

Some reaction I see so far in blogs and forums:

- Confuse (WTH just happen)
- Confuse and Angry (WTH just happen, this is going to be suck).
- Confuse but encourage to solve the mystery (WTH just happen. I don't believe that witch did them all).
- Beatrice worshipper (Beatrice-samaaaaa!!!)
- Witches exist. Battler is so idiot or childish that he doesn't accept it (and also anyone who doesn't believe in witches too).

Well, there are many more but it would be too much to lists

EDIT: After reading Klash's analysis, I feel that the new viewers are going to get mind-screwed so hard. Right now, they can make an argument that witch don't exist because they only appear in the purgatory, not in Rokkenjima. Next arc, with Beatrice in the Rokkenjima, it's gonna be really interesting to see how they react.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-08-03 at 00:40.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:30   Link #1749
MarthX

Looking around on other forums, I see a lot of. "Why is Battler so stupid. Beatrice shows herself and does magic and still thinks they don't exist? This is dumb." And "I was disappointed that the culprit was a witch. Why should I care about the story now that I know it is?" A lot of people also failed to realize that the tea party was the after-life so they were upset with everyone being back alive, thinking it's some huge copout.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:59   Link #1750
Marion
The Great Dine

Yeah, that's why DEEN should have put up a sign or something like the game did. Because they didn't new viewers are confused in general. Hopefully they understand soon enough though :P
Old 2009-08-03, 01:03   Link #1751
MarthX

- They talk about meeting a tragic end and getting a bad end.
- Kanon and Shanon are seen. Characters you know died
- When the conversation turns serious, Battler starts asking, don't you want to know who killed you?

I think it should have been fairly obvious that it was an after-life of some kind.

But I do agree that they've should have shown the word "Purgatorio" when the scene started. If I were a fansubber, I would've added it myself.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:06   Link #1752
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Well...those who played the VN know it's the teaparties but first time viewers will usually be shocked. Like ," Why is Kanon ALIVE?!!"

I kinda expected that reaction >__>
Old 2009-08-03, 08:07   Link #1753
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
If there's confirmation from the VN that it's indeed a bullet, then I can just remove this post.
How would you answer this?

If you say that the VN doesn't deny that, it's a lie, because EP4 denies that.

If you say that it isn't denied in EP1, it as if you say it's denied later.

certain questions can't be answered at all without spoiling ^^;

Old 2009-08-03, 08:09   Link #1754
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Like the whole
Spoiler:
thingy. If you want to knw the answers, you'll have to expect spoilers.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:49   Link #1755
Alaya
Counter Force

After reading Klash's analysis of episode I-V, something comes into my mind.

What if, Umineko EP 1 is actually not the first time that the massacre happens, as the concept of time in Kakera should not exist. What if Meta-Battler is also a collection of Battler's memory about what happen in Rokkenjima and how it cannot be solved yet? Then could Beatrice is a collection of the thoughts "witch did it"?

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:50   Link #1756
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Meh, I don't think you should have even said that in that thread. The point of my post earlier was to say: no matter how you answer you'd do some damage.

Even saying that "you can't answer" or that it's revealed on EP4, kinda kill the discussion in that thread.

Old 2009-08-03, 09:04   Link #1757
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Exactly, this is why I had to delete some posts, like meotwister's recent post in first time watchers:

Saying "I can't answer" or insisting on privacy will obviously give way too much elements and implication "something is spoiler sensitive".
This is why I asked VN readers not to take part of such thread, except if providing facts alone.

Being dodgy/elusive is the best way to deceive or guide first time viewers in a very bad way.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:17   Link #1758
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Meh. I've already toned down the amount of stuff I usually post in those threads after episode 5 made me realize that watching people squirm in agony after their brains got raped and their theories blown away is a horribly sadistic pleasure I've recently started to enjoy.

Yes I'm a horrible horrible person. And I don't care.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:30   Link #1759
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Klash, I think should tell the first time viewers that they shouldn't ask for knowledge about the VN. Not in that thread at least. ^^;

It might happen that they ask for something that can't be answered such in this case. The very fact that no one is going to answer (while in many other cases we did answer) could be somewhat spoiling the other readers in such way: "Oh so this is something important" or "so this is something that is revealed in other episodes so there's no point in discussing it now".

Old 2009-08-03, 10:15   Link #1760
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

It also sounds rude to not answer...well.. Kinda.
Closed Thread