AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-02, 23:00   Link #621
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker
How is sinaju different from unicorn and sazabi?
Old 2010-11-03, 01:57   Link #622
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I've been watching the 2nd episode again an I really like how they portrayed the whole idea of the Gundam within the context of it's own universe in the second episode. The Federation reveres it as a potential game breaker, but Zeon absolutely hates it because it's been their constant misery ever since the One Year War. Lot of history there.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 02:45   Link #623
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I've been watching the 2nd episode again an I really like how they portrayed the whole idea of the Gundam within the context of it's own universe in the second episode. The Federation reveres it as a potential game breaker, but Zeon absolutely hates it because it's been their constant misery ever since the One Year War. Lot of history there.
You bring up something I've been wondering. Why exactly does the Federation keep making Gundams?

I know that Gundams sell and all, but I'm looking at it as if I was in the UC series. Why is it a Unicorn Gundam, and not a...Unicorn GM, or ReZEL, or Jesta?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 03:23   Link #624
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
You bring up something I've been wondering. Why exactly does the Federation keep making Gundams?

I know that Gundams sell and all, but I'm looking at it as if I was in the UC series. Why is it a Unicorn Gundam, and not a...Unicorn GM, or ReZEL, or Jesta?
Morale? The Gundam is probably a symbol and a brand at the same time. The face itself probably strikes fear at the enemies.

I have no idea why they hid Unicorn's gundam face though.

Besides if I'm not mistake GM stands for Gundam Massproduced right? Unless they retconned that.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 03:34   Link #625
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

If they use the Gundam as a symbol and an element to install fear. Why doesn't the Federation just take a GM frame, and slap a Gundam head on them all?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 04:01   Link #626
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Why doesn't the Federation just take a GM frame, and slap a Gundam head on them all?
It worked, in crossbone. The Ball Gundam >>>> everything
Old 2010-11-03, 04:01   Link #627
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
If they use the Gundam as a symbol and an element to install fear. Why doesn't the Federation just take a GM frame, and slap a Gundam head on them all?
With the branding comes a certain demand for quality. Otherwise it just cheapen the brand.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 04:04   Link #628
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Precisely:
if this were intel:

Gundam: Core Series
GM's: Pentiums
Old 2010-11-03, 04:41   Link #629
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I see it as "when this suit get's serious, you'll all see the face you know all too well".
Old 2010-11-03, 05:12   Link #630
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What MakubeX said.

If every mass-produced mobile suit produced by the Federation were presented as Gundams, then the "Gundam" name would lose its meaning quickly. People would quickly associate the name with "just another mobile suit", thus losing its lustre.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 06:15   Link #631
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:

The Unicorn was supposed to be a secret project not to be make known. The GM face is a decoy.
Old 2010-11-03, 06:32   Link #632
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
The Unicorn was supposed to be a secret project not to be make known. The GM face is a decoy.
But hiding the face of a Gundam doens't exactly hide the fact that they're constructing a high-performance super Mobile Suit. I mean I guess if someone saw you building a Gundam in your backyard they'd freak out more than a GM.

Another question, why did the Vist foundation choose to use Gundam to present the Unicorn? Isn't Gundam the federation's brand? I know Anaheim designed Gundams too, but they were mostly for AEUG during the Gryps Conflict which was really more like a civil war within the Feds.

Or was the Unicorn Gundam made to protect the secret behind the Laplace Box? What was its purpose? Why did they have to hide all that secret in a Mobile Suit instead of like...a super computer like Veda?
Old 2010-11-03, 06:59   Link #633
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
But hiding the face of a Gundam doens't exactly hide the fact that they're constructing a high-performance super Mobile Suit. I mean I guess if someone saw you building a Gundam in your backyard they'd freak out more than a GM.

Another question, why did the Vist foundation choose to use Gundam to present the Unicorn? Isn't Gundam the federation's brand? I know Anaheim designed Gundams too, but they were mostly for AEUG during the Gryps Conflict which was really more like a civil war within the Feds.

Or was the Unicorn Gundam made to protect the secret behind the Laplace Box? What was its purpose? Why did they have to hide all that secret in a Mobile Suit instead of like...a super computer like Veda?
The suit was built in absolute secrecy. Initially, no enemy will even know that it's a Gundam. Like what the others explained, some would certainly underestimate its capabilities because they think it's a non-Gundam suit. As you saw in ep 2, the crew on board Nahel Argama only exclaimed when they literally saw that Gundam face.

First, most main protagonist suits are Gundams, so you get my point. Second, Gundams, like what the others mentioned, are of some symbolic significance. It makes sense to create one that would carry the "key" to the Laplace's Box.

In a supercomputer, who would uncover the hints behind the Laplace's Box? With the Gundam, the chosen pilot would be able to fight in combat and be directly involved in determining the outcome of the Laplace conflict. That's what Banagher's doing. Fighting against Neo Zeon now and publicly denouncing the significance of the Laplace's Box.

And, a Newtype is necessary too. The chosen pilot would have sufficient wisdom and expanded consciousness that would guide the opening of the Box.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 07:33   Link #634
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
The suit was built in absolute secrecy. Initially, no enemy will even know that it's a Gundam. Like what the others explained, some would certainly underestimate its capabilities because they think it's a non-Gundam suit. As you saw in ep 2, the crew on board Nahel Argama only exclaimed when they literally saw that Gundam face.

First, most main protagonist suits are Gundams, so you get my point. Second, Gundams, like what the others mentioned, are of some symbolic significance. It makes sense to create one that would carry the "key" to the Laplace's Box.

In a supercomputer, who would uncover the hints behind the Laplace's Box? With the Gundam, the chosen pilot would be able to fight in combat and be directly involved in determining the outcome of the Laplace conflict. That's what Banagher's doing. Fighting against Neo Zeon now and publicly denouncing the significance of the Laplace's Box.

And, a Newtype is necessary too. The chosen pilot would have sufficient wisdom and expanded consciousness that would guide the opening of the Box.

I know, I was one of those who said that in a few posts above. My point was that since the Gundam brand carries a symbolic meaning for the Federation and not for the Vist and especially since the Vist is about to cause something that would put an END to the Feds I would wonder why they chose Gundam as the representation. Maybe they're mocking the Feds?

As for the La+ program being inside a Mobile Suit, I just wonder the practicality behind it. What was the original plan of the Vist? They wanted to give the Sleeves the Unicorn, and have them find the Laplace box with it. But it could've just been some disc or a computer installed with it. Why did they have to make it into a Mobile Suit that is going to see combat, and possibly even be destroyed?

Let's ignore the whole, it's the protagonist suit so it has to be a Gundam, because that's just the cheap way out of it. I would assume the creators to have a much more in depth and reasonable in-universe explanation. This is UC after all (not Seed), they do have a lot of detail.
Old 2010-11-03, 08:16   Link #635
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
I know, I was one of those who said that in a few posts above. My point was that since the Gundam brand carries a symbolic meaning for the Federation and not for the Vist and especially since the Vist is about to cause something that would put an END to the Feds I would wonder why they chose Gundam as the representation. Maybe they're mocking the Feds ?
Fukui saw that coming from a mile off. Let me quote the Japanese Wiki :-

"ガンダムタイプとして開発された理由については、連邦宇宙軍再編計画におけるプロパガンダ的な意味合いが 強く、ジオン根絶における絶対的象徴として、ガンダム以上に相応しい機体はないという思惑があ る。"

Translation :-

"The Viste was constructing the Unicorn under the guise of a EF Space Force Restructuing Project to assimilate the Zion Republic comes UC 100. The basis of it being a Gundam Type was rooted in the original Gundam's propaganda value of it being a symbol of Zeon's decline. And as such, there was no other fitting role that will signal Zeon's demise."

So you see, Cardias was building the Unicorn under the EF's approval and blessing of it being a Gundam. He gives it a GM face to throw everyone off to conceal the true purpose that was hidden in it's body. He tried giving it to some trustworthy soul with pure intent in it's GM form so that the Fed will not suspect anything.
Old 2010-11-03, 09:43   Link #636
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ Make sense, that's a pretty good explanation.
Old 2010-11-03, 11:13   Link #637
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker
sinaju was pure brilliant!!
Old 2010-11-03, 13:44   Link #638
justavisitor

what's so special about sinaju tho?? reading the novel, up to the point where sinaju makes the first appearance...so far, sinaju is just a really fast and agile M.S...yes sinaju has psychoframe all over the body (don't remember exactly if this is true), but how hard it is to make a suit like that--just fast and furious--16 years after the birth of the first gundam???

Maybe it's because I am used to the 00 universe, but I don't really think Sinaju is that special...XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 15:01   Link #639
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

What Jonli said and because the make has been so historically successful. It's their mainstay super prototype design for whenever they are introducing new technology as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
what's so special about sinaju tho?? reading the novel, up to the point where sinaju makes the first appearance...so far, sinaju is just a really fast and agile M.S...yes sinaju has psychoframe all over the body (don't remember exactly if this is true), but how hard it is to make a suit like that--just fast and furious--16 years after the birth of the first gundam???

Maybe it's because I am used to the 00 universe, but I don't really think Sinaju is that special...XD
It's the successor model to the last mobile suit to be piloted by the legendary Char Aznable before his disappearance in Char's Counterattack, the Sazabi. Nobody in universe ever expected to see something like it, but I'm sure they instantly suspected who might be piloting it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 15:33   Link #640
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post

I don't think Sinanju is meant to be a be all end all Mobile Suit like 00 Raiser or Unicorn. It's fast and strong but it's probably not the best suit in the show (it's designed for a Newtype and meant to be the predecessor of the Unicorn so performance wise it'll probably be similar?). People are afraid of it because of who's piloting it. They call him the Char's Ghost, so....there's bound to be come gravity to it when a red mobile suit zips its way towards you and skillfully takes out all your Re-zel pals.

The Sinanju's also quite a beast in close combat, since it's got multiple sabers and axes-looking-things, that they didn't show in the anime yet but you can see it in the gunpla.