AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-18, 18:23   Link #1
NeoSam

Shinigami no Ballad

Its based on a seinen novel (a novel for young men)

http://www.momo100100.com/index.html

Genre: Seinen, Drama, Fantasy

Edit:

Its based on a novel thats serialized in the seinen(young men's) novel magazine Dengeki HP, and published under the seinen(young men's) label Dengeki Bunko.
For now there are 8 volumes released of this novel, here are the covers:

And Shinigami no Ballad "art book":

From AnimeNfo:

Quote:
Momo is a girl in white clothes. She has a scythe in her hand, and Daniel, a black cat with wings, stays next to her. Sure, she is a Death who brings one’s soul away.
At the moment she touches one’s mind, the world is filled with gentleness and sorrows.

The anime consists of heartwarming one-shot stories.
Genre: Seinen, Drama, Fantasy

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-03-10 at 23:04.
Old 2006-02-01, 04:22   Link #2
miyu chan

this one sounds interesting, i read about it in newtype. I wonder if anyone is going to sub it? Ive only seen one picture of it does anyone have any pics from it?
Old 2006-02-01, 04:27   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu chan
this one sounds interesting, i read about it in newtype. I wonder if anyone is going to sub it? Ive only seen one picture of it does anyone have any pics from it?
Triad has already stated their desire to sub this show.

Fansubbing declaration wiki

As for pictures, NeoSam posted the covers of the novels before the recent forum reset. It would be nice if he could find those images again...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-01, 04:42   Link #4
miyu chan

banzi! that is good to hear, I think triad's subs are great, I'm happy that someone is going to sub it, but having triad sub it makes me much happier. i'm sure their subs for Shinigami no Ballad will be exellent. I looked on anime news network, they said their were only 6 episodes. is this true? does that make it an oav or a tv series.
Old 2006-02-01, 04:54   Link #5
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
As for pictures, NeoSam posted the covers of the novels before the recent forum reset. It would be nice if he could find those images again...
No problem

Covers were posted in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu chan
I looked on anime news network, they said their were only 6 episodes. is this true? does that make it an oav or a tv series.
A tv series consisting of 6 episodes.
Old 2006-02-01, 05:26   Link #6
Kyaa the Catlord

Whoah, those pictures are cute. My seat in hell just got a bit warmer. :P

Anyone know how to find that artbook to import?
Old 2006-02-01, 06:05   Link #7
Spuffy
オウカ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaa the Catlord
Mangaoh
Amazon 

For small orders I'd suggest Mangaoh. Amazon also currently only has two in stock.

Edit:
>>NeoSam
Seems like there is an incoming manga too.
Old 2006-02-01, 06:21   Link #8
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
Mangaoh
Amazon 

For small orders I'd suggest Mangaoh. Amazon also currently only has two in stock.

Edit:
>>NeoSam
Thank you! (eyes gleam)
Old 2006-02-01, 06:56   Link #9
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaa the Catlord
Whoah, those pictures are cute. My seat in hell just got a bit warmer. :P

It's not an art-book, it's a children book.

And I have seen some illustrations from the manga. Not bad, but different from the art in the novel.
Old 2006-02-01, 07:13   Link #10
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth

And I have seen some illustrations from the manga. Not bad, but different from the art in the novel.
Hmmm, maybe I'll need to rethink the order then. Thanks.
Old 2006-02-01, 07:25   Link #11
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
Edit:
>>NeoSam
Please do not mention the manga in this thread

Shinigami no Ballad is a seinen novel/anime.

Spoiler for F**k them:

Quote:
Ahh yeah you are right, thats why I said "Artbook", also its what the publisher is describing this book as. but I'm still not sure about it being a children's book, its published under a label for young men, so no possible way it can be for children, it might look "kiddish" but still its not for children. if you look carefully in many manga/novel magazines for young men you'll find many (and I mean many) manga/novels that look like they are intended for children but they are not (they are intended for young men no matter how they look).
Old 2006-02-01, 08:48   Link #12
Spuffy
オウカ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Please do not mention the manga in this thread
lol
Let's pretend it doesn't exist then.

Quote:
...I'm still not sure about it being a children's book, its published under a label for young men, so no possible way it can be for children, it might look "kiddish" but still its not for children...
The only explanation I have is that they made it look like book for children, but it's still aimed for men. The description at mangaoh says it's "like reading a picture book". And the fact the the whole description except for one line is written completely in kana is also kind of weird.
Someone should buy it for verification. 1470 JPY is a bit too much for my stressed VISA for experimenting with something that has only ~60 B6 sized pages. Even if it's hard binded and full colour.

Then again I'm a sucker so I'll probably get it anyway at some point...
Old 2006-02-01, 08:55   Link #13
Kyaa the Catlord

Unfortunately, even if I purchased it, I couldn't read the kana. I know, I'm a slacker and can't find the time to learn Japanese. :P (Damn work, someone give me the lottery numbers!)

I'm still thinking about it. Anyone know if the pictures are as well done as the cover art?
Old 2006-02-01, 09:05   Link #14
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Ahh yeah you are right, thats why I said "Artbook", also its what the publisher is describing this book as. but I'm still not sure about it being a children's book, its published under a label for young men, so no possible way it can be for children, it might look "kiddish" but still its not for children. if you look carefully in many manga/novel magazines for young men you'll find many (and I mean many) manga/novels that look like they are intended for children but they are not (they are intended for young men no matter how they look).
Do you remember the scans I did for you ?
Old 2006-02-01, 09:13   Link #15
NeoSam

Quote:
Do you remember the scans I did for you ?
Yeah, I remember

There was one pic that I really loved and asked you if there were more like this one, but you said there weren't

Anyway, sorry but it is still for young men after all the label its published under is not for children (there are labels and manga magazins for children and this label isn't one of those).

If you want me to post some "kiddish" looking covers of manga for young men, I'll post them
Old 2006-02-01, 18:43   Link #16
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

With only six episodes announced, I am gonna be expecting a lot of "high quality love" from them.
Old 2006-02-11, 08:14   Link #17
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
With only six episodes announced, I am gonna be expecting a lot of "high quality love" from them.
Most definite. This isn't your usual run-of-the-mill episodes of a shinigami visiting and taking souls, rinse and repeat; no. If they go by the manga, it's actually very heart-warming and well to see these type of qualities in a shinigami, makes the whole show seem sort of ironic in the first place.

Nontheless, it's going to be an excellent series.
Old 2006-02-11, 19:25   Link #18
CaiSter21

what is with all of the new anime series only being 6 eps long?

like Hantsuki and REC for example

and now this?
Old 2006-02-11, 20:37   Link #19
Noodlehead
Noodlehead is not edible.

Quote:
A manga based on the seinen(young men's) novel is serialized in the shoujo manga magazine LaLa, yes they have again taken a seinen(young men's) novel and made a shoujo(girl's) manga based on it they took the seinen novel Trinity Blood and made a shoujo manga based on it too
Honestly, what's wrong with that? If you're so against shoujo, then you don't need to concern yourselves with the seinen novel-based manga that they "turned into shoujo". Just stick to the novels, then. They're just trying to cater to different audiences. Additionally, there's plenty of seinen (maybe too much) out there these days to keep people happy.

In my personal opinion, whether something something has "turned shoujo" or whatever doesn't bother me. They're just different retellings of the same concept. I enjoy seinen, josei, shounen and shoujo programs alike. It's just overblown fanservice that annoys me.

Anyway, to be more on topic, I'm really looking forward to this series. The art looks nice, (is it just me or is the style sort of similar to Shakugan no Shana and Hanbun no Tsuki?) but it's too bad that it's only going to be six episodes. Hmm, I hope there's some good drama in this one.

~ Noodlehead
Old 2006-02-12, 01:39   Link #20
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlehead
Honestly, what's wrong with that? If you're so against shoujo, then you don't need to concern yourselves with the seinen novel-based manga that they "turned into shoujo". Just stick to the novels, then. They're just trying to cater to different audiences. Additionally, there's plenty of seinen (maybe too much) out there these days to keep people happy.
There are plenty of shoujo/josei novels too, so I don't see your point here, if they want to make a shoujo manga then base it on those novels :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlehead
In my personal opinion, whether something something has "turned shoujo" or whatever doesn't bother me. They're just different retellings of the same concept. I enjoy seinen, josei, shounen and shoujo programs alike. It's just overblown fanservice that annoys me.
It bothers me :P

And no I'm not against shoujo. I just don't like when they take seinen novels and make shoujo manga based on them (and this is not the first time). If they did the opposite: take shoujo/josei novels and make shounen manga from them you'll see many angry fangirls.

And yes I don't like it, and no its not anyones business if I like it or not.

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-02-12 at 02:01.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy, shounen