AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 06:04   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Yuki Nagato

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Yuki Nagato related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suzumiya Haruhi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:21   Link #2
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I hereby claim this thread in the name of the Great Goddess, whose divine beauty and serene grace are a blessing to all those who behold her. Those that praise the Goddess will be bathed in the light, while those who dare to slight her receive severe punishment from above.

My fellow believers, never again shall we have to fear the naysayers and the heathens, for this is our place, and they have no right to be here!

... Too much or not enough? I never know.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-26, 06:35   Link #3
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

First I would like to say, "Yes I am a Nagato fan."

Now with that out of the way. I will be the first to say it, since it should take the sting out of it (well, for me at least...)... Nagato is a newer school Rei Ayanami.

There I said it, now no one else needs to say it and hate on our magical/book loving/Humanoid Interface.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:37   Link #4
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Nagato took what Rei started and vastly improved upon it.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:38   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
First I would like to say, "Yes I am a Nagato fan."

Now with that out of the way. I will be the first to say it, since it should take the sting out of it (well, for me at least...)... Nagato is a newer school Rei Ayanami.

There I said it, now no one else needs to say it and hate on our magical/book loving/Humanoid Interface.
She is a dramatic improvement on Rei Ayanami, imo.

Rei's character was ultimately way more creepy than Nagato is, imo, and with Nagato, I get a far stronger sense of serious loyalty to all of her friends than I got from Rei. With Rei, I felt she was loyal to one guy - Gendo.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:39   Link #6
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Like I said she is a newer school Rei Ayanami. A version up if you will.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:39   Link #7
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

... Shinji, too, towards the end. But this isn't the Rei thread, dang it.
Old 2009-08-26, 08:32   Link #8
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
But this isn't the Rei thread, dang it.
It's a Rei thread now, dammit. The reason that I don't like Nagato so much is because she is the new Rei. She's that someone who is so quiet, you can say anything to her and not have a responce (with two words or more).

And then she'll fuck you up in a fraction of a second.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:35   Link #9
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Nagato is not an improvement upon Rei Ayanami, she is completely another take on the archetype.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:45   Link #10
OkamiNoKaze

Yuki is easily my second favorite on the show.

I'm pretty sure it was
Spoiler for might be a spoiler for someone:

That scene was so epic, in fact that entire scene is probably one of the greatest in all of anime.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:01   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Think is, I never cared all that much for Rei, but I'm all for Yuki. Rei was suppose to be creepy and not liked (though the creator got it wrong it seems). Yuki is suppose to be liked, and this was successfully implemented. A take on the quiet, sort of mysterious girl with short hair. Yuki adds to this with the reading and at first the glasses. Then she tops it with powers and abilities followed by her eyes. Eyes are the well to the soul, and by looking into Yuki's eyes you can see that she has one.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:03   Link #12
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
As expected from Nagato-san, Her tread is already the bigger of the character treads

Anyway, I agree she is a kinda copy of Rei, even her name is a pun to it. Both 'Nagato' and 'Ayaname' are battleships and 'Rei' mean 'could while 'Yuki can mean 'snow'.

I don't used to like Nagato, even though her battle scene with Asakura is awesome. However, latter books make me change my opinions. After then, I can easly say she is a vastly improoved version of Rei. It is spoiler, tough.

PP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Nagato is not an improvement upon Rei Ayanami, she is completely another take on the archetype.
I guess you can say that too. I don't say Eva anime, however, the Rei from the manga is very similar to Nagato, in how their emotions grows with the time.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:08   Link #13
Jintor

Rei was a deconstruction of the emotionaless girl archetype; I'm not sure whether Yuki is a straight play of the trope or some kind of subversion.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:08   Link #14
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd point out that the Ayanami was a destroyer (all three of them)...a rather small warship of its day. Nagato was a rather large battleship in its day. Also rather fast in its day, and the first to sport 16 inch guns, the most powerful type in general use until the production of the 18 inch guns for the Yamato, some 20 years later, and as large as anything used by any other Naval Power's guns fitted since Nagato was launched.

Small note: Battleship Nagato was the only Japanese Battleship to survive the Second World War. It was taken by the United States for inspection and then later used along with many older America warships of the same vintage, as a target in the Bikini atomic bomb tests. She sank there.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:09   Link #15
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Yuki has to be the best out of the SOS Brigade. She might even be more godly than Haruhi.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:15   Link #16
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
Yuki has to be the best out of the SOS Brigade. She might even be more godly than Haruhi.
Yessss. This is what I find most interesting about Nagato. She has all these powers at her disposal, yet her job is only to observe, and occasionally protect Kyon. It almost seems backwards that she has control of all this granted power from ITE, while concurring with the other parties that Haruhi is the one holding all the cards.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:28   Link #17
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd point out that the Ayanami was a destroyer (all three of them)...a rather small warship of its day. Nagato was a rather large battleship in its day. Also rather fast in its day, and the first to sport 16 inch guns, the most powerful type in general use until the production of the 18 inch guns for the Yamato, some 20 years later, and as large as anything used by any other Naval Power's guns fitted since Nagato was launched.

Small note: Battleship Nagato was the only Japanese Battleship to survive the Second World War. It was taken by the United States for inspection and then later used along with many older America warships of the same vintage, as a target in the Bikini atomic bomb tests. She sank there.
This just prooves Yuki is more awesome then Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Rei was a deconstruction of the emotionaless girl archetype; I'm not sure whether Yuki is a straight play of the trope or some kind of subversion.

Book 4 make me thinks Yuki is more like a subversion
Spoiler for novel4:
Old 2009-08-26, 10:32   Link #18
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Nagato is nothing like TEH Rei. She's way above her.
Rei is creepy, and it doesn't help her that she's in the most hated anime of mine.
Nagato kicks ass. She's one of the myriad goddesses of mine.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:02   Link #19
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

You can say I came VERY late to the party of seeing the awesome-ness that is Yuki Nagato lol.

Maybe because I knew her archetype right away that I didn't like her as much.
But I'm finally finding her more interesting
Old 2009-08-26, 12:06   Link #20
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
I agree 100 % ...Yuki-Chan is better haruhi

Tags
characters