AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-03-21, 00:43   Link #1121
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'm not familiar with Gram Sight, but wasn't Alpha Stigma supposed to only be able to see into the mysteries of magic? Solver of All Equations I'm not quite sure but it seems familiar. I believe that's when the protagonist in The Legend of Legendary Heroes goes crazy right? In terms of ability SOAE definitely has more power. Eyes of Alice is unlike Alpha Stigma because Alpha Stigma is what I treat as the Sharingan of magic. Eyes of Alice only let's you see what makes the magic work. I actually based EoA on Mystic Eyes in Nasuverse, especially Mystic Eyes of Death Perception as eyes that can see what the human mind should not be able to process.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:28   Link #1122
tsunade666

ah, that's why you phrase it that way. Sure it reminds me of Shiki's eyes with the eyes that let you unravel the end of anything but the way you phrase on it controlling magic reminds me more of alpha stigma. The berserk thing that you are saying isn't solver of all equation (yet) that's just alpha stigma going berserk and using the ability of solver of all equation to understand ANYTHING. The complete soae is different.

Gram Sight is the sight of ikki that lets him read the flow of energy and know its movements or predicts its movement, heck he can even touch it or alter it as long as its not a harmful energy. Its a sight to control the magic but not really understand it but reveal its secrets and weakness. The way it works is different from alpha stigma because AS doesn't just analyze magic from the flow of magic but also the way to cast it which enables the user to copy the magic.
Old 2013-03-21, 03:15   Link #1123
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Ah, so that's how it works. The Eyes of Alice were named as such because the world unfiltered is basically like wonderland. Normally one can only see these world's with the Eyes of Alice. Comprehend the impossible and ludicrous, see the maddening but accepting it. When one "goes through the rabbit hole", they become Alice and interact with the various parts of each dimension as if they existed there and all at the same time.

EoA can't just randomly pluck magic, generally it has to be a tame energy that won't hurt. For example, EoA user can perceive the giant ki flow of the world but generally as giant rivers, mana is seen as a light haze with some locations having thicker mists of it. The giant ki flow of the world can be siphoned for use or basically redirected to desired effect, the hazes of mana can be manipulated to do things most mortals can't do. Nature spirits and those normally intangible can be smacked directly, mostly without fear of hurting from mana burn. So it is definitely different from AS, SOAE & Gram sight. EoA allows limited free form magic and even remote vision. It is generally an ability that is based on sight. The only time it gains all the abilities beyond seeing is when the user goes through the rabbit hole.

Last edited by demino_hellsin; 2013-03-21 at 03:45.
Old 2013-03-21, 03:50   Link #1124
tsunade666

are you trying to use it on a fic? it got potential but it would be hax if it can manipulate through dimensions even if the state of "goes through the rabbit hole" will make the user insane.
Old 2013-03-21, 03:57   Link #1125
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I was thinking of working on a fanfic with this. It's an ability I'd treat like Imagine Breaker. Kind of like right place, right time use of it that allows the user to slug it out with the enemy.

Mostly EoA will stay in sealed state. It will probably traverse to Unsealed but "going through the rabbit hole" is for world ending scenario.

The character herself who owns this is deathly afraid of her own eyes.
Old 2013-03-21, 04:06   Link #1126
tsunade666

I see. But this eyes are more like magical ability instead of an esper ability and its looks like a "she"

well good luck on the fic. Now that I'm taking a vacation I'm also thinking of doing a fic. My first fic as an experiment and an experience but I'm having trouble on what character to choose on. Touma and Accelerator are certain characters but I'm debating on taking Kakine and Hamazura or just Kakine only or Hamazura only.

I like index 3 heroes harmony thing but Hamazura hasn't done anything significant lately and even Kakine is more awesome than him in the last volume. Plus Kakine's ability to create anything that he can comprehend or understand in his brain. Leads to tons of potential creations. Most of them are modern technological weapons created by academy city. Recreated by dark matter. Like those powered suits or those mechs or HS (hard science) weaponry of the dark side.

While Hamazura is a good idea for support with his gun skills. He can support Touma from behind the enemy lines.

Its actually a crossover and fanfic thread of index in animesuki is mostly dead that's why I'm stuck on the idea because I don't have anyone to ask around.
Old 2013-03-21, 04:35   Link #1127
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I only poke around on the wikia so I'm not sure if I have enough working knowledge of the To aru verse and timeline to help anyone out, let alone write my own fic.

But considering I want to take certain liberties I thought that maybe delving into things without knowing most of the rules would be better. Despite my lack of knowledge I'd love to discuss topics of fanfic creation.

The wielder of EoA is female and will be sticking to Touma. Mostly because her power is similar to his in ways that nobody can detect it, labeling her normal by magicians and level 0 by AC. The EoA has only one tell, that is the irises are pearl white. She wears contacts to hide the color and because they somehow seal away the visions. Even just normal glasses or looking through any transparent thing can seal them away. Not due to any mystic restriction but mostly because it sets her mind at ease. Kind of like a "self hypnosis fail safe". Touma can forcefully deactivate the visions and "through the rabbit hole" by covering her eyes with the IB
Old 2013-03-21, 05:15   Link #1128
tsunade666

Its fine to take your own liberties in fan fic because its your fic as long as it won't clash on the setting of the story but well we are getting off topic. If you would like to continue then I will bring this one on the fan fic thread.
Old 2013-03-25, 23:45   Link #1129
judasmartel
*Author

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, I've seen so many "Create-A-ToAru-Esper" sites and threads around the Internet but no "Create-A-ToAru-Mage". Maybe this is the first one I have seen. Why is that?

Are Esper powers really that awesome, easy to come up with, and can easily be explained by science? Or is ToAruVerse magic really that boring, hard to come up with (because you have to take IB into account) or is it because it can only be explained by something a lot of people have been disillusioned about, namely religion?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 23:55   Link #1130
tsunade666

Tamni's magic system isn't really total dependent on religion because NT magicians rely more on fairy tails.

And if its creating new character then it should be in fan fiction thread and not this thread.

Quote:
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, I've seen so many "Create-A-ToAru-Esper" sites and threads around the Internet but no "Create-A-ToAru-Mage". Maybe this is the first one I have seen. Why is that?
Maybe because its unique. There are lots of fantasy setting that has lots of magicians that its becoming generic and thinking of a unique magic spells or arsenal takes time than thinking of esper abilities which are restricted on science basis. Though some of the ability in NT aren't really scientific anymore.

Like the ability of Frema. Her ability level 0 ability is to make certain people meet. Its like tying two or more people's fate into one. And it still level 0 though at higher level it might look like a mind control type of ability but her ability is more like playing with fate or destiny of people. Not really scientific type of an ability. More like occult if you ask me.
Old 2013-03-26, 01:59   Link #1131
FallenHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel

Are Esper powers really that awesome, easy to come up with, and can easily be explained by science? Or is ToAruVerse magic really that boring, hard to come up with (because you have to take IB into account) or is it because it can only be explained by something a lot of people have been disillusioned about, namely religion?
People probably find Espers more appealing due to having more concrete limitations. With an Esper, you only need to worry about creating a single power. A believable Magician requires some research and more effort in order to distinguish them from an Esper.
FallenHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 22:26   Link #1132
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Weird I find a esper to be more a challenge honestly as you have to be more creative with limited tools compared to a mage, but I guess you mean the style and source of the mage been more difficult to create.
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 23:27   Link #1133
tsunade666

its kinda hard now to think of a mage who is not like a copy paste from other source. A unique mage that speaks volume of how strong and dangerous the mage is without making it look silly -_-

I read other fics that make is sound retard with the way the comparison of the strength of the spell sound idiotic and unbalance with the setting of where they fight or the battle itself.
Old 2013-03-28, 00:00   Link #1134
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

For Espers they try to dig really deep to make it as logical and realistic as scientifically possible when honestly there's no need for that. In the end they're just limiting themselves.

In all honesty both aren't that hard to do- You just have to learn to control yourself.

To Kamachi's credit, the recent NT volumes have tried to set a standard for magicians while the earlier stories sort of might them seem capable of anything.

Magicians are no harder than Espers, you just have to keep things simple.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 02:53   Link #1135
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post

its kinda hard now to think of a mage who is not like a copy paste from other source. A unique mage that speaks volume of how strong and dangerous the mage is without making it look silly -_-
But a Mage's magic IS a copy paste from somewhere (not other animes though)

But with that being said.... There are actually something similar in vein in Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo?

*cough*
Spoiler for episode 8 to 9:

The only unique thing is how he/she is going to use that magic creatively enough prevent other mages from deducing his/hers original source.

Quote:
I read other fics that make is sound retard with the way the comparison of the strength of the spell sound idiotic and unbalance with the setting of where they fight or the battle itself.
Strength of Spell is determined by how close it was to the original? I think? Because of Idol theory.

It is impossible for a magic to surpass its origin unless the said origin is said to be capable of surpassing itself if certain conditions are met.

==

Quote:
For Espers they try to dig really deep to make it as logical and realistic as scientifically possible when honestly there's no need for that. In the end they're just limiting themselves.
Esper replace reality with their own personal reality. So...they are technically reality bender.

The Railgun Special used a humorous example on that in form of Cat in the Box.
Old 2013-03-28, 03:38   Link #1136
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Mondaiji is still too shounenish in it's power, but the idea to reference real world stuff is there. A better series to serve as an example would be Rental Magica.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 05:17   Link #1137
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
Strength of Spell is determined by how close it was to the original? I think? Because of Idol theory.

It is impossible for a magic to surpass its origin unless the said origin is said to be capable of surpassing itself if certain conditions are met.
there are stories with ridiculous power balance that its not even funny anymore. Aria is an example that first start good that gone bad then there is dxd with their out of this world comparison. With people move in the speed of light and attacks that can destroy the world comparison but the battle field isn't appropriate for it.

The settings of someone getting stronger and stronger is fine but there should be balance and progress and the reader should still think and has a belief in reality or at least in his own sense that doesn't take anything which was written as face value without analyzing it.

A good magic scifi setting is horizon with good magical formula and idea is dendyuuden and even black rabbit from the same author is nice. The way solver of all equation and black rabbit works are both hax but yet has huge weakness and also before it even deploy or acquired there are trials and development that was been done.

Heck even Touma's secret is still not revealed but we are giving glimpse of it and its world setting even though it takes lots of volume to be answered but still the reading is fun and entertaining.
Old 2013-03-28, 10:33   Link #1138
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Mondaiji is still too shounenish in it's power, but the idea to reference real world stuff is there. A better series to serve as an example would be Rental Magica.
Not in term of shounen-manga style power but in term of the Idol theory (and only for that one arc).

Haven't read Rental Magica so I don't know how their magic work.

Edit: Quick read up using Wiki later....

Yeah Rental Magica is better reference.

Quote:
there are stories with ridiculous power balance that its not even funny anymore. Aria is an example that first start good that gone bad then there is dxd with their out of this world comparison. With people move in the speed of light and attacks that can destroy the world comparison but the battle field isn't appropriate for it.
To be fair, High School DxD don't place itself too seriously so...one can kind of forgive them for having ridiculous power.

=

The series whose power balance is unforgivable is Hidan no Aria. Hidan no Aria start off realistic but suddenly go fantasy with Vampire Orge.
Old 2013-03-28, 11:04   Link #1139
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post

To be fair, High School DxD don't place itself too seriously so...one can kind of forgive them for having ridiculous power.

The series whose power balance is unforgivable is Hidan no Aria. Hidan no Aria start off realistic but suddenly go fantasy with Vampire Orge.
yeh, issei is a wacko, I even cheer for vali and pity ddraig but I'm a serious reader and its just hard for me to read sometimes when it goes stupid. specially issei.... and lets not talk about issei and his tendencies... ah...issei. your giving me headache that its even a wonder why I even read all of it ah... headache... i remember it again when he starts yelling oppai gosh......

rental magica vol 1 is already translated try reading it or watch the anime. the solomon magic is a good one with 72 demons under her control and itsuki is badass when his giving command or punching his enemy

ps. I keep calling him ikki but when I check wiki its itsuki. I think I confuse his name from air gear
Old 2013-03-28, 12:21   Link #1140
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Since we are on to the topic of fan-made ability...

Question:

An Ability that freeze and roast things through the manipulation of heat.

Freezing thing by forcefully extracting heat from one object.
Since Heat is a form of Energy and Energy can't be destroyed, it obviously had to go somewhere.... hence the roasting part.

Can this Ability be considered level 4 version of Thermal Hand?

Tags
hard science